PDA

View Full Version : Are Spanx worth it?

src233
1-18-11, 10:23am
I've got a pantsuit that feels just a *little* too tight and have been considering buying some Spanx to wear underneath it. Do Spanx (at $30) provide that much more support/control than a heavy-duty pair of control-top pantyhose? Is it worth buying the Spanx brand or can I get away with a lesser-known brand (like Flexees).

Thanks!

TMC
1-18-11, 1:21pm
I have never owned Spanx so I can't help you there but I did purchase a non-brand name at JC Penneys with a coupon for abour $12. and I will say they did the trick. Why don't you try them on? Take the outfit with you.

janharker
1-18-11, 10:15pm
What TMC said. Famous brand names are everything.

Azure
1-19-11, 11:18am
I recently read that the woman who created Spanx also makes the Target brand ones. And they are very good.

Midwife
1-19-11, 8:38pm
I have been wondering this myself, and finally determined that instead of trying to suck it in with spanx, I needed to just lose the ten pounds that I have managed to put on in the past year :( I am going to Costa Rica in March for a yoga retreat that my sister puts on twice a year, so I have given myself that as a deadline to get myself back in order :/ Guess I better get on the stick!!! I have weighed the same for years, apart from pregnancy, so this weight gain was a little startling, as I had not changed anything about my diet etc.... Here's hoping it moves off readily!

pony mom
1-19-11, 11:58pm
I have used both Spanx and the Target-brand ones called Assets. Spanx, although more expensive, are a much better quality and design. What I like about both of them is that they are like high-waisted bike shorts, so there are no VPLs and no elastic at your waist. Word of warning---they are a bit of work to get on and off, so bear that in mind if you'll be using the restroom a lot. In the summer I wear them under an A-line sundress. Another hint-I wear cotton gloves (you know, the kind you wear with lotion at night) when I dress and undress with them. My hands can be rough and snag the fabric and the gloves prevent this. I also do this when I wear pantyhose to avoid runs, though I can't remember the last time I wore those.

herbgeek
1-20-11, 8:12am
I bought the Target version and was sorely disappointed with the quality. As I was putting them on for the first time, a number of threads starting coming undone. And it got worse once I got them over my hips. The sucky thing is that these aren't returnable in my state.

kally
1-20-11, 10:06am
Hey is this different from a girdle?

Merski
1-21-11, 8:17am
I too have wondered about purchasing something to hold my muffin top in and have decided to just lose 10 lbs. which would be better for me anyway. I have a great goodwill purchased wardrobe that is a bit snug on me. I lost about 3 lbs before xmas and regained it during the season of incredible eating!! So I know I can do it....even at 58!

Azure
1-21-11, 8:19am
I bought the Target version and was sorely disappointed with the quality. As I was putting them on for the first time, a number of threads starting coming undone. And it got worse once I got them over my hips. The sucky thing is that these aren't returnable in my state.

Well, I am sorry to hear that!

Mrs-M
2-19-12, 11:37pm
Don't know how I missed this thread, but I did. So glad to have happened upon it. Whenever the Shopping Channel does a Spanx presentation, I seriously contemplate placing an order, but then I think, "I'm not all lumpy and bumpy, so would the garment be good for me still"?

redfox
2-20-12, 1:16am
No no no! Wear clothing that is comfy & fits. Girdles, spanx, corsets, binding. Ugh.

Tradd
2-20-12, 1:39am
Spanx is NOT binding! It just smooths out the lumps!

I have one that goes from right under your bra and into bike shorts. It's actually pretty comfy except for when the top edge starts rolling down in the back some.

Zoebird
2-20-12, 1:41am
i used a compression garment after I had the baby. it was -- not at all painful. it went from bust to thighs, and didn't roll because it had straps that went along with bra straps to hold it up. so, it worked nicely.

that being said, no, it's not worth it.

Merski
2-20-12, 8:24am
I bought one on sale at TjMax for $20 and love it. I have 3 from different manufacturers but they are all like tank tops that you pull up from your feet and over your bra. I have a tubbulous amount of jiggly bits on my torso and this tames them. I'm not particularly overweight or out of tone just this annoying area. It does create a smooth line and does help you fit into things that are a bit tight. Muffin top tamer, bra fat flab! I have one in black and one nude one for clothing. I have no butt or thighs to tame but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I consider it a necessary part of my wardrobe and worth spending money on.

pinkytoe
2-20-12, 10:31am
Doctors now think that this type of undergarment may cause damage to a nerve that that results in a condition called parasthetica meralgia. Pain, numbness and burning sensation in upper thighs. I have it and it hurts a lot. What price vanity?

CathyA
2-20-12, 11:38am
Oh the days of wearing a girdle! How crazy! They never worked for me, 'cause they just pushed all my "stuff" up into my midriff. If I would wear a long-line bra too, it would push everything up into my neck. hahaha
Also, in retrospect, I realized that girdles really exacerbated my IBS. Sorry to get off topic.
I'm with Redfox.........I also go with comfy.

Mrs-M
2-20-12, 12:01pm
No no no! Wear clothing that is comfy & fits. Girdles, spanx, corsets, binding. Ugh.Your words reiterate how I feel about restrictive and constricting wear. I think where I got lost with it all was in all the hype. So easy to loose sight of necessary versus unnecessary.

pinkytoe
2-20-12, 1:35pm
If I were a SAHM or not working outside the house, I would rarely feel the need to wear these things. However, I would venture a guess that a large percentage of women working outside the home are wearing some sort of figure-controlling apparel.

puglogic
2-20-12, 1:51pm
I can barely bring myself to wear a bra most days (even if I have to for business) so I think I'd lose a battle with myself over whether to invest in "figure-controlling apparel". I can't stand to be pressed into any garment - makes me crazy. The closest I can come is jeans that have a tiny smidge of spandex, and only because they're more comfortable than the stock sizes for me. But thanks for the education -- I had never heard of Spanx. Sounds a little risque! :)

Tradd
2-20-12, 1:53pm
If I were a SAHM or not working outside the house, I would rarely feel the need to wear these things. However, I would venture a guess that a large percentage of women working outside the home are wearing some sort of figure-controlling apparel.

My Spanx is not worn daily or even weekly. It's for several really nice dresses I have, two of which are close fitting wrap dresses.

ApatheticNoMore
2-20-12, 2:52pm
Ha, never even thought of wearing a garmet like this :)

Probably the women we go around envying for having "perfect" bodies. Woah, why are they so perfect? And to think some women actualy go around wearing stuff like this, which I wouldn't even have thought. Maybe the jokes on me. :~) I tend to work in casual clothing workplaces and dress one step above casual (business casual-ish).

pony mom
2-20-12, 9:11pm
Petite Kelly Rippa, who is waaaay too thin, wears Spanx.

I like how clothes fit easier in places where you may have a bit of flab.

boss mare
2-20-12, 11:41pm
I started wearing Spanx when I was showing my horses ( all of the bouncing is not very good looking or comfortable ) I have just found out out Flexeess There is a few different styles. The one that I like, you can wear your own bra .... Flexess are better for what I do.... and very much worth every penny
I weigh the same as I did in high school... It is just 3 inches lower so I find this just gives me a little extra help

Rose_
2-21-12, 11:01am
Spanx is NOT binding! It just smooths out the lumps!

I have one that goes from right under your bra and into bike shorts. It's actually pretty comfy except for when the top edge starts rolling down in the back some.

I have these ones too, but while my waist isn't that large, but midsection is. I find it's always rolling down and cutting into me, making my puffy sections more defined. I do like that it smooths out my hips a bit, but they're really only good for certain dresses for me.

Tradd
2-21-12, 1:00pm
I have these ones too, but while my waist isn't that large, but midsection is. I find it's always rolling down and cutting into me, making my puffy sections more defined. I do like that it smooths out my hips a bit, but they're really only good for certain dresses for me.

Stuff the front top edge under your bra. Works very well for me.

folkypoet
2-21-12, 1:07pm
I have just found out out Flexeess There is a few different styles. The one that I like, you can wear your own bra .... Flexess are better for what I do.... and very much worth every penny

I have a couple of form-fitting dresses, so I tried both Spanx and Flexees. Really, they seemed about the same - and the Flexees was 1/4 the price. I think I found it at Ross, maybe? For me, it's definitely not something I'd wear every day (or even every week!), but it's nice to have around for that special, dress-wearing occasion.

Mighty Frugal
2-21-12, 1:08pm
I've always wanted to buy a Spanx but you are not allowed to try it on so I would have to guess on my size. Not worth it when they cost over 80 bucks. I do own some store brand Spanx like garments-and I love them. I only wear them under tight fitting tops when my pants so lovingly offer up a succulent muffin top:~):|(

I am still 10-15 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight (my kids are 5 and 7:|( ) and my tummy has changed so I think the Spanx like garments will always be in my future.

They are not binding but I don't wear them too often and it does get hot in the summer