PDA

View Full Version : nice little shipping container home

kally
1-1-12, 3:15pm
http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/living-small--lulu-s-shipping-container-home.html

Lainey
1-1-12, 7:09pm
Wonder where she parks it, or did I miss that part? another idea floating around here in AZ is that with the construction business down, those onsite construction park trailers are available for cheap. haven't investigated that yet, but it makes sense.

redfox
1-1-12, 7:51pm
Nice. I wonder whose land she is on?

gimmethesimplelife
1-1-12, 8:26pm
What an inspiration! Not only do I love this story, I love the comments under the story too! Nice to see people appreciating this choice and not attacking it! And what a lesson for the child living there.....Rob

pony mom
1-2-12, 11:16pm
She's cool and very resourceful.

Mrs-M
1-3-12, 1:52pm
What a darling. If only more people could learn to adopt her ideals, this world would be a much better place. Very inspiring.

simplelife4me
1-3-12, 11:50pm
Nice story. With her seeming so down to earth I cannot help but wonder why her childrens father does not seem to be in their lives.

mtnlaurel
1-4-12, 9:37am
I really enjoyed this, thank you for posting!

I liked her response to her daughter commenting how she didn't like that she couldn't stand up in her loft....
"It's fair that she doesn't always like all of this" (not an exact quote but the gist of it)

My DS has started to question some our choices compared to his friends' family choices re: stuff and thangs
We talk about how we can choose x,y or z OR we can put that $ and/or time toward different things/experiences that we really love --- or just the magic of compounded interest

I went on a little tangent and learned more about WabiSabi.... that is so my aesthetic

This just blew me away. Quote on wikipedia... "[WabiSabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect"
That SOOOO goes against what Madison Ave. shoves down our throats via print and boob tube on a regular basis

I love the 'elegant poverty' concept... my DH and I have lived this lifestyle, we called it 'poverty with a view'

I'm guessing maybe she is renting that piece of property?

In all reality, it's a tasteful, customized mobile home for a fraction of the price.

artist
1-4-12, 9:55am
What an inspiration. I love her attitude, her creative use of space and that she has those things she will not compromise on. I also love that she looks at her student loans as her mortgage on "intellectual property". Much better use of the money IMO.

Stella
1-4-12, 11:38am
I love it!

ljevtich
1-4-12, 3:54pm
There was a thrift store in Moab, UT that was called WabiSabi - loved that thrift store! Cheap prices, excellent stuff, and with a down to earth feel.

But I also have to wonder where she is staying. Found out she is renting the land, and the water and electricity come from the landlord.
shipping-container-tiny-home-cargo-trailer-room (http://www.faircompanies.com/videos/view/california-shipping-container-tiny-home-cargo-trailer-room/?via=thumbnail)
She was babysitting other kids along with her own kid.

The responses to the video are interesting and a little telling.