PDA

View Full Version : Something different next year.

artist
1-4-12, 9:17am
Christmas is over. The trimmings and trappings are packed and a new year has begun.

My question on this day is what would you like to do differently next year and why? Skip the family party? Host more gatherings in your own home? Skip the tree? Skip the gifts? What changes would you like to make for 2012.

Stella
1-4-12, 10:02am
This year we went on a 4000 mile road trip over the holidays and spent time with family in SoCal. It was great, but not an every year kind of thing. Next year mom and my sister are thinking of visiting us. That would mean a more traditional Christmas for me in a lot of ways. I still think we'd stick with mostly experience gifts, though.

artist
1-4-12, 10:31am
I'm trying to decide if I want to do the Christmas tree again this year or not. It's a small pleasant tree. No real set up, as we just bag it with it's trimmings and box it up. We don't exchange gifts though so for us the tree is nothing more than a small decoration. Not sure what we'll do about that.

I think we will spend more time doing things Christmas week. Take the train into Boston, maybe go to a holiday movie, plan Christmas morning better so that we don't have as much preparations for our open house etc...

Mighty Frugal
1-6-12, 9:13pm
Next year I won't commit to as much. The president of my kids' school PTA volunteered me to run the Kindergarten Winter Concert. Boy, what a lot of work! Designing flyers, finding volunteers, setting up, organizing....there are 140 kindy students-phew. So that took up a large portion of my pre-Xmas fun time.

I also made 6 varieties of cookies for 21 different families. I was baking 100s of cookies each wknd beginning in mid November!!

Next year, no volunteering (thankfully, no kids in kindy so they can't ask me again) and I'm only going to make 3 different cookies for the people I give to-oh and drop it to 15...maybe....

I just ant to enjoy more. To have more time playing with the kids and doing more outdoor activities.

oh..and finally, I hope to NOT eat like a pig being fattened for the spring fair. Now I've got to lose it all!! But what's a gal to do when her dh buys her for Xmas 4 KILOS of English Cadbury??

Bastelmutti
1-6-12, 10:28pm
This year I really enjoyed our tree and decorations - we have streamlined it so it's easier to set up and take down, but still looks nice. So that will stay. My side's family parties were pretty fun. We're with DH's side next year, and it's nice switching every other year. That's OK, too. One change is that we will eliminate one gift exchange, which will cut down on gifts, so I hope I can get back to making homemade for the rest. I'd like to do a little holiday baking next year - I usually don't do any. And we skipped one big Xmas event and took a mini weekend vacation with a few other families, which was *heavenly*. Would like to do that again.

JaneV2.0
1-7-12, 3:39pm
I'll make gifts. If I start now, I might actually get some finished!

Juds
1-7-12, 11:25pm
We had a tree and decorations out for the first time in more than a decade, and I kind of liked it. Much less than we used to do, so I might do it again next year.

I make gifts, except for the younger grandbabies and children who still like more than the wooden and softie toys I make, and I am going to begin doing that earlier this year. I plan to make at least something every month. My preference is experiential gifts, so even though I do make some stuff, a year full of cool and fun things to do with the people I like the best is something that we will continue. Well, unless someone wants to give me investment jewelry or property...I would make an exception for that. :)

Fawn
1-8-12, 5:46pm
Decorations: this year did 1) fresh pine wreath on front door 2) bowl of glass ornaments on coffee table 3) stockings for me and kiddos on mantle

Next year will likely repeat all.

Cooking: this year celebrated Christmas w/ my teenager kids on 12/23. Made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and organic pot roast for dinner. Older son and DIL here at Thanksgiving.

Next year will have teenagers and older son and his wife. Will probably do a lot more cooking while oldest DS and DIL are here, likely 3-4 days.

Gifts: this year spent $100 per child on gifts. Plus fresh pine wreath ($25) plus gifts for a couple dear friends and my mom, $60. Total cost of holiday $585.

Next year will likely reduce the amount per child to $50-$75. I would like to keep total Christmas cost to $450.

Bastelmutti
1-8-12, 5:56pm
I'll make gifts. If I start now, I might actually get some finished!

Hear, hear!

maribeth
1-9-12, 2:49pm
Every year, I tell my family that, if you are going to take a Christmas picture of 40+ people, please do it right when everyone walks in the door. Everyone looks nice, no one is drunk, the kids are all clean and happy and well-rested, etc.

And every year, they are still trying to herd the cats an hour after dessert.

Next year, I will keep my advice to myself. And maybe put some lights in the front window.

jlroussin
2-13-12, 7:55pm
Every year I make Christmas slightly simpler, so that I do not shock and scandalize our extended families, who are very traditional about Christmas. Last year we spent less money on gifts and bought fewer gifts for the kids. I've been weaving scarves and table linens, so I may give out those for next year. Perhaps we can also do a table top or smaller tree instead of the full size tree. My kids will be 18 and 10, so I want to make it fun and joyful for them.

amamekas
2-16-12, 12:01pm
I already have started on the hand made ornaments that I make for my grandchildren and other little ones. Also this year we will celebrate everyone's birthdays in a bigger way and downsize the Christmas gifts. That way it won't be so much preparation at one time - spread it throughout the year

ApatheticNoMore
2-16-12, 12:16pm
something different .... ah yea I thought, take a vacation and get away from it all next year for the holidays.

redfox
2-16-12, 12:40pm
We've downscaled every year since the kids were in middle school... Now that they are out of the house, our decorating & gifting rituals are simple & enjoyable. If I change anything, it would to be in Costa Rica w/DH next winter!