PDA

View Full Version : I bought a moleskin notebook

kally
1-5-12, 4:52pm
it was a ridiculous price, but maybe cheap to join the exclusive "moleskin club" Now let's see if it changes my life, I expect it to. ha ha.

What do you write or draw in your moleskin? I want to love this little book, but I don't know how to yet.

Moleskin fans weigh in here, (or moleskin haters)

Tradd
1-5-12, 10:31pm
I use them (large softcover ruled, about 5"x8") for my class notes and a sort of general journal.

I have a pocket sized ruled softcover one that lives in my purse for all sorts of notes, grocery shopping lists, etc.

Float On
1-5-12, 11:11pm
the exclusive "moleskin club" or "cult"

:)

I actually bought a few unused ones at a thrift shop one time.....when those go.....what will I do???

Tradd
1-5-12, 11:25pm
I actually bought a few unused ones at a thrift shop one time.....when those go.....what will I do???

Buy off Amazon, a few at a time. That's the cheapest place I've found them. I almost always have a new one or two in reserve.

iris lily
1-5-12, 11:55pm
you people. What is the deal with these things?

I don't get it.

redfox
1-6-12, 12:11am
you people. What is the deal with these things?

I don't get it.

I gotta say, I gave these out to the teens in the family as gifts, and they all adore them, and use them. Two are artists, and the pages just don't bleed through. One teen has been depressed & considering starting a journal, and got sooo excited about his red one... They are cool looking.

Tradd
1-6-12, 12:15am
Nice paper. Writes well (I use Pilot G2 gel pens only in blue, no funky colors, lol!). No bleed through. Smell pretty good (what I call "book aromatherapy"!). They hold up very well. I believe the paper is acid-free, too.

kally
1-6-12, 12:37am
amazon is never cheaper for me for really anything because of the international shipping. But I will tell you how it changes my life bit by bit.

Tradd
1-6-12, 12:42am
Kally, what about Amazon.ca? Do they still ship from the US?

iris lily
1-6-12, 12:42am
oh kally, you always make me laugh!

razz
1-6-12, 7:25am
From an artist site that I find informative comes this input on the moleskins: http://clicks.robertgenn.com/black-book.php

"Right now we have a worldwide viral epidemic of "gratitude journaling." This is where folks put down a few nice things that happened during the day. A lot of the good stuff takes place under the covers at bedtime, and is not meant to be shared. As my daughter Sara says, "It's not a journal, it's a brain exercise." Fact is, there's considerable evidence it makes us into better people, maybe better artists.

Sara just closed out last year's Moleskine and started this year's. The Italian company that makes these beautiful books with ribbon bookmarks, elastic closures and acid free paper follows a tradition started in Paris about 1850 by a small stationery company that allegedly supplied Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, and Henri Matisse. The celebrated Australian traveller and Songlines author Bruce Chatwin used the little books so voraciously that in 1986 he bought up all copies then available.

These books are more than journals. They're a way of life--key, says the Moleskine promo, to "culture, imagination, memory, travel and personal identity."

Understanding that we become what we think, advanced Moleskiners avoid three main negatives--nostalgic regret, adherence to outcome, and fearful anticipation. These sorts of thoughts, common to all humanity, are banned from the tiny pages. Proper Moleskiners stick to a positive, optimistic outlook."

Greg44
1-6-12, 12:12pm
I tell you it is a cult - especially for artist & writers - and life "hackers". There are whole discussion boards about their love of them. It is craziness. With that said - I love my moleskines, and I don't bat an eye about the price. :) They have quite a variety of different versions depending on your special use.

Enjoy your new moleskine - but DON'T misplace it - I still haven't found mine. >:(

lhamo
1-6-12, 6:26pm
I think they are lovely, but I've never been able to get over the price -- especially here in Asia, when you can find them they are incredibly expensive.

I do carry around a small notebook and use it for a number of different things -- keep a record of important phone numbers (in case my cell phone ever gets lost), to do lists, lists of thigns I need for the house and measurements. But I just get cheap 3x5 pocket style notebooks that don't cost more than $1.

lhamo