PDA

View Full Version : I really need to focus on finding a balance...

bke
1-6-12, 10:34am
Ok I know this is going to be long but I really need to express myself and this seems like the most logical place. I'm not whining/bragging/or even expecting anyone to fix this for me.

I've been married for 13 years. In that time we have moved from the city to the middle of no where. Bought and sold 3 houses for a profit overall, had a son, bought a restaurant which is almost paid off, and done 2 major remodeling projects on the restaurant.

11 years ago I was couponing, buying second hand, picking up change and pop cans along the road as a way to make ends meet. When ds started preschool we were living below the poverty line and I was practically accused of being a bad mother because we lived on what we made and didn't get food stamps or other assistance. We always had enough but just enough if you know what I mean.

Presently I am 2-3 years away from being 100% debt free. We will at that time own the restaurant free and clear (we live here for those who don't know it) and own a nice profitable piece of real estate that we're selling on a land contract. I have a safety net of 2-3 years worth of living expenses tucked away even if we were required to rent a home. We will be in a position financially where we could be FI in as soon as 5 years.

Thing is, I hate this life and have for a long time. I have so much including a wonderful family life but I'm terribly unhappy. I've come to realize recently that its because I have gone without things for so long and have gotten so uptight about spending on non-necessities that I'm miserable.

I have been in love with the chocolate diamonds since I first laid eyes on them. I'm not a big jewelry person but for some reason I adore these. I found a specific ring that I wanted 3 months ago but refused to spend the money on it. Well, last night we went to the mall and the ring was still there. I couldn't resist it again! The saleman made a comment about how I wasn't even smiling as my dh was paying for the ring. I was so freaked out by spending $1900 on something that I couldn't. I almost stopped the transaction half way through. It was actually painful to spend the money even though it was more than affordable and I will love wearing the jewelry.

I've really come to realize over the last few weeks that I've been so hell bent on getting by and making due over the last 10-12 years that I don't even know who I am anymore. I'm like freakin' Ebenezer Scrooge! Collect it and count it but god forbid I enjoy it!

So I am challenging myself in a big way to spend and enjoy spending. Not crazily but enough to find pleasure in life again. I don't need quantity but I have given up quality for way too long. No more eating the cheapest foods or wearing the cheapest clothing. No more feeling quilty when the cheapest items don't fill the need. And most of all learning to buy things from time to time for the simple pleasures they bring.

Comments?

herisf
1-6-12, 10:49am
Enjoying life is not about deprivation and always saving for the future. Congrats on getting the ring! Spend some time every day just looking at it and enjoying it. See how it sparkles in the sun, and how it looks on your hand. Smile!

And start putting aside $10 or $20 a month for an item that your husband or son lusts after. One item at a time you all can get your big "want" item. And a big Yippee for being so close to having everything paid off!

Float On
1-6-12, 10:50am
I'm not a fan of diamonds anymore but I have to admit....my heart beats a little faster when I see those chocolate diamond commercials. They are beautiful and I hope you enjoy your purchase. Sounds like a wonderful reward for all the hard work you've put in over the years.
I'd like to encourage you to plan for and set a budget for your spending money. If you have a category in your budget called 'blow $' or 'no excuses this money is for having fun and no 2nd thoughts' maybe you can slowly let loose and enjoy the results of all your hard work.
You've done a wonderful job!

iris lily
1-6-12, 10:54am
Yes, many of us have been there, gone overboard on frugality. There was a time in my life when I crancked about how expensive everything was. I was a bore.

For years we did not spend more than $40 weekly on groceries because that was an arbitrary number.

Now, I will say that my 20 year stint of frugality built up a nice net worth, and not paying interest on anything helps keep the money flowing in to fatten finances, and yes--I DID enjoy life then but I enjoy now buying what I want at the grocery store and am healthier for it.

bke
1-6-12, 11:08am
I have no intention of giving up on frugal living. Its allowed us to accomplish too much to quit. Here is an example of my silliness of late: I bought a huge box of instant potatoes because they were free after rebate. I told myself that if I ate them, I was eating for free instead of spending money on food. Instant potatoes are better off used as wall paper paste than food! Blech!

The main thing that has occured to me is that I don't want early retirement to be just like my current life except with more free hours in the day. I want more from life than this.

flowerseverywhere
1-6-12, 11:53am
I don't have any advice for you - Once we paid off debt and were well on our way to FI we started to loosen up in some areas (like Iris Lilly in the grocery department) but still to this day I am very mindful of what I spend money on. Some things will have great value to you and some will be a waste of money. Working through this process is very difficult at times, and very natural at other times. I agree about the mashed potato story, that is why I don't use many coupons. So you learned something. wonderful.

good luck, I think it is an exciting time to turn a corner, set new goals and move forward. Enjoy the life you have worked hard to create.