PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter ground into carpet

screamingflea
1-7-12, 8:52pm
Right now my dog has been banished to the balcony for his own protection.

There's only one brand of peanut butter that I'll eat, sold only at one store in town that's inconveniently located for a bus commuter. So when I buy it, I make sure to stock up. I had three new jars on the kitchen counter, pushed back far enough to the wall that he wouldn't have access to it (or so I thought!) I came home to find two jars chewed to bits with the stuff ground deep into the carpet in several places, and foamy greasy vomit in other spots that had several hours to soak in.

As fate would have it (what else?) I was down to my last fumes of Resolve. I managed to spray everything, but I don't think it'll do much good. Peanut butter has a texture like clay, and I've found that scrubbing it just grinds it in deeper. And of course the grease is ... grease. I've been thinking about renting a carpet cleaner anyway, but of course on my schedule that'll mean walking around on peanut butter stains for at least a week.

Can anyone recommend some effective quick fixes in the meantime?

fidgiegirl
1-7-12, 8:56pm
Not sure how well it would work on grease, and maybe the damage is too extensive, but we've found this to be VERY effective on vomit: wet the stain with plain water. Sprinkle liberally with baking soda. The baking soda will wick up the crap in the carpet. It will change color (hopefully). Let dry over several days. Vacuum. Only once out of many, many vomits (sorry, all) on light colored carpet, did this not work.

iris lily
1-7-12, 8:59pm
O. M. G.

That hound! What a godawful mess.

My rescue dog was stealing potatoes from the potat bin, but that is minor compared to the actions of your hound.

screamingflea
1-7-12, 9:58pm
I think I've figured it out my quick fix.

I scrubbed all the p-b spots and vomit with a strong solution of very hot dishwater. What is dish soap designed for if not breaking up grease? The peanut smell is still there, but the spots seem to be gone. At least until it dries. It'll buy me plenty of time to rent a carpet cleaner later.

In the meantime, I actually had to cancel my evening plans! The carpet turned out to be the easy part. All my tiled floors turned out to be minefields as I keep sliding in invisible grease spots. So my whole Saturday night has been taken over by scrubbing and vacuuming the floors. >:(

He's still out on the balcony. He can flippin' rot out there until I'm done, and then probably a little longer. He has a nice warm coat, which is more than I can say.

Wildflower
1-8-12, 5:46am
I don't know any dog that would or could leave peanut butter alone if they could reach it, certainly not mine! >8)

What a gawd awful mess! Glad you found something that worked on cleaning up the grease. :)

chanterelle
1-8-12, 8:44am
[QUOTE=Wildflower;61205]I don't know any dog that would or could leave peanut butter alone if they could reach it, certainly not mine! >8) "

really, mine couldn't! Left alone for extended periods, dogs find ways to keep their minds busy. Sometimes it can be crazy making to the human mind.
If I remember correctly, he is an old dog and your former service animal. Forgive him and let him in from the porch. He really doesn't understand why he is out there for so long and you don't need to keep the anger and angst going in your life. Give yourself and the pooch a break.
Alsi I second the baking soda idea from Fidgiegirl.

Wildflower
1-8-12, 8:47pm
Left alone for extended periods, dogs find ways to keep their minds busy. Sometimes it can be crazy making to the human mind.
If I remember correctly, he is an old dog and your former service animal. Forgive him and let him in from the porch. He really doesn't understand why he is out there for so long and you don't need to keep the anger and angst going in your life. Give yourself and the pooch a break.

I so agree! That's why I said above any dog would do the same if they could reach the peanut butter. Dogs find PB irresistible - in fact, it has been my best training method and reward for all of my dogs over the years. :)

Get a Kong and put some PB in it, flea. Your dog will love it, keep him entertained for a long while, and no mess.

KayLR
1-8-12, 9:50pm
OMG,that sounds awful. I don't get dogs. I have a friend who had just bought a vacuum cleaner belt and tossed it on the counter as he came in the house and went to the restroom. When he came out the belt wasn't there. His husky had reached up there and ate the belt AND the receipt and rubberband around it.

Wildflower
1-10-12, 4:49am
OMG,that sounds awful. I don't get dogs. I have a friend who had just bought a vacuum cleaner belt and tossed it on the counter as he came in the house and went to the restroom. When he came out the belt wasn't there. His husky had reached up there and ate the belt AND the receipt and rubberband around it.

Before dogs were domesticated they were scavengers, and of course, they all retain that instinct to some degree, hence getting into trouble and eating things they shouldn't.... Sometimes they're just hungry or bored.... Puppies are the worst when they're teething, will chew up anything, and getting into and tasting everything is also how they learn about the big world around them.

Dogs, gotta love 'em, and I do! :)