PDA

View Full Version : Recipes: Salads

Amaranth
12-31-10, 6:01pm
Main dish and side dish salads
Pickled salads

Merski
1-1-11, 10:21am
My favorite salad is from Mollie Katzen, EBF or Moosewood, Moroccan orange walnut Salad. It's very easy to make and because it uses oranges it is fresh and bright and healthy tasting and a great salad for winter.

Bootsie
1-1-11, 10:42am
This is the salad that convinced me broccoli is good, way back when. If you have kids who don't like broccoli, perhaps they will be willing to try this salad:

BROCCOLI SALAD
2 bunches of broccoli, rince and cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 small onion, sliced thin (red onion is especially good)
1 lb bacon crumbled (or eliminate to keep vegetarian)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup salted peanuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup mayo
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp vinegar

Mix all salad ingredients together and chill. Add dressing just before serving.

Enjoy.

razz
1-1-11, 11:06am
I love a carrot and pineapple salad mixed with a small amount of ranch dressing. Sometimes I place it in orange jello for variety. The overnight coleslaw is wonderful but I usually make too much so must learn to reduce the recipe to be suitable for 2.

Simplemind
1-1-11, 1:35pm
I make Bootsie's salad with the addition of a head of cauliflour, parmesan and peas, minus the raisins nuts and seeds. Love it love it love it.

Amaranth
1-1-11, 2:15pm
Simplemind, Do you use regular peas or snow peas in Bootsie's salad?

Blackdog Lin
1-2-11, 8:05pm
Well, gotta jump in sometime. Here's two wonderful winter salads, both fairly simple and healthy. The calico salad is not only delicious, but very pretty in a nice bowl on the buffet table.....

Calico Salad

1 can (14-16 oz.) french-style green beans, drained
1 can (14-16 oz.) whole-kernal corn, drained
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 c. chopped green pepper
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion

Dressing

1 c. cider vinegar
1 scant c. sugar
1/2 c. cooking oil
1 tbs. celery seed
1 tbs. mustard seed
dash garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste

Stir together all veggies in serving bowl. In medium saucepan combine all dressing ingredients; bring to boil, boil and stir 1 minute. Cool slightly and pour over veggies. Chill at least 2 hours, 24-or more hours is fine. (Best if made ahead of time: it just gets better the longer it melds. We've eaten the leftovers 7 days later with no loss of flavor.)

Tomato-Bean Salad

1 can (14-16 oz.) any white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-16 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 c. diced red onion (any onion will work)
1/4 - 1/2 c. favorite Italian dressing

Mix, chill, and enjoy. We were amazed at how good this is, considering how simple it is to throw together. Fairly healthy, too.....

Simplemind
1-4-11, 12:49pm
Amaranth I use a small bag of baby peas.