PDA

View Full Version : What cleaning solution for Swiffer?

Bastelmutti
1-9-12, 3:32pm
DH likes to use a (wet) Swiffer on the wood floors we have. I want to make some simple reusable Swiffer rags from t-shirts. What would be a good cleaning solution to substitute for the wet Swiffer stuff? Vinegar and water? Is that OK for wood floors?

Thanks for your advice!

Mrs-M
1-9-12, 4:13pm
If I were making homemade Swiffer solution, I'd use warm water mixed with a dribble of ammonia (for vinyl/lino/tile floors), and for wood floors, warm water with a dribble of Pine-Sol, Lysol, or Mr. Clean. (Re: cleaners, I'd go easy on them unless you're looking to clean heavily soiled flooring). As with a lot of things, a little goes a long way...

Mrs-M
1-9-12, 4:25pm
Oh, another idea for alternative Swiffer replacement cloths, prefold cloth baby diapers! (Super-cheap thrift store finds). Anyhow, I learned about using prefolds for Swiffer cloths through a lady at our church. She re-purposed all of her kids old prefold cloth diapers into Swiffer cloths, and she says they work great!

Rosemary
1-9-12, 4:26pm
Try this
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/natural-floor-cleaning-easy-greening.html

Mrs-M
1-9-12, 4:48pm
Great website, Rosemary. Just want to say, we have older vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms, hallway, and staircase/entry, and I scrub with Pine-Sol, Mr. Clean, and Lysol (regularly), and the floors shine like the dickens! Even use ammonia from time to time, too. (I think more people than not tend to overdue it with the amount of cleaner used).

herbgeek
1-9-12, 5:04pm
I use some lavender vinegar (plain works fine too), water, and a squirt of dish soap. About 1/2 and 1/2 with the vinegar and water.

Mrs-M
1-9-12, 5:13pm
Mmmm... sounds so inviting, Herbgeek. I'm thinking back to the "essential oils" thread that was started last fall. Going to revisit that thread.

Mrs-M
1-19-12, 9:39am
Bump

herbgeek
1-19-12, 12:03pm
Mrs. M, you can add a few drops of essential oil to any cleaning solution. I just happened to have made lavender vinegar the other year by soaking the trimmings from the lavender plants in plain white vinegar for a few months. I particularly like a few drops of orange or grapefruit essential oil in cleaning products, because they are such happy smells and I'm in such a miserable mood when I clean. :laff:

Mrs-M
1-19-12, 2:50pm
LMAO, Hergeek! You are not alone. :)

I appreciate the essential oil tip, and will be putting it to good use in the next day or two. My town-day, which is tomorrow, will afford me the opportunity to drop by my favourite haunt, in order to look at and smell some essential oils.

razz
1-19-12, 6:38pm
Rosemary , that is a very good site to explore for cleaning instructions. thanks!