PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying Downton Abbey

Cypress
1-10-12, 1:48pm
There was a brief episode on the national news last night regarding the popularity of this PBS Masterpiece Theater production. Folks seem to be taken by surprise that this production is so well received.

I am enjoying the series as written and aimed towards adult audiences. What I mean is the focus is on adults and complex family life as adults rather than children or adults behaving like children. Or, allowing the children do dominate the family. I come from that generation and have always been a bit perplexed at the societal shift to children first rather than adults.

What has caught my attention most of all is the relationship between the mother/father and daughters. The mother loves her family and is genuinely considerate of everyone in the household. She displays tact, resilience, kindness and wisdom all at once. I admire her relationship to her husband and the persuasion on the offspring (all girls) to conform. Some of the acting is uneven. I find the actor who plays Matthew Crawley lacking depth of character despite having a significant and complex role to play.

The sets are superb. The costumes are superb. This production cost a lot of money but the whole thing has class.

Given my knowledge of the 1st World War, my guess is Matthew won't make it back one of these times. Mary will be able to recover from her hesitation in accepting Matthew but it might be too late. She keeps waiting for the right moment.

I am enjoying it very much. ;)

danna
1-10-12, 1:54pm
Love, love, love it............

Rogar
1-10-12, 2:58pm
Season 1 was terrific! The photography is outstanding, decent plot and interesting characters without the Hollywood chase scene and gun play that I get so bored with.

KayLR
1-10-12, 3:09pm
I do not live beneath a rock, but I just learned of this series! (It's because my husband has 98% control over the remote.) Now I want to see the first season. I doubt it's available yet, though?

Stella
1-10-12, 3:33pm
At least for a while season 1 was on netflix. I watched it when I was on bed rest last year and really enjoyed it.

Miss Cellane
1-10-12, 4:15pm
Season one is still available on Netfilx, both DVD and streaming. And PBS has some season one episodes online here: http://video.pbs.org/video/1724131531/

Not that I like the show or anything.>8)

Tradd
1-10-12, 4:34pm
There were only 4 season 1 episodes.

And if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can get season 1 free via streaming.

Episode 1 of season 2 is on PBS' website, too. I watched it that way last night.

Oh, and your library might very well have the DVD of season 1. I know mine does, although I bet it's quite in demand.

Kestrel
1-10-12, 4:35pm
Outstanding program! I'm hooked ...
For some reason, I decided not to watch the first couple of programs in Season 1, but I record and watch all of them now.

Bastelmutti
1-10-12, 4:44pm
I thought it was great. And I have to say, I want every one of those dresses!

treehugger
1-10-12, 4:45pm
There were only 4 season 1 episodes.

Not according to Netflix, where I watched Season 1. There are 7 episodes. I believe there was some editing between what was shown on the BBC and on PBS.

I enjoyed the first season and am looking forward to the second arriving on Netflix.

Kara

Kara

Nella
1-10-12, 7:52pm
Loving, loving, loving this series. Could not wait for it to come back for a second season. The first episode of the second session didn't disappoint!

Tenngal
1-10-12, 8:51pm
oh, I love this show. It airs on Sunday nights here on PBS.

iris lily
1-10-12, 9:28pm
I'm glad to see another, fresh, costume drama brought to Masterpiece Theater. I don't think it's the best I've seen, but it's good. It's shocking how Miss Mary is so--libertine!

AmeliaJane
1-10-12, 9:47pm
I'm loving it. Especially Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess.

I am most worried about the Earl, of whose character I am very fond. Matthew made the remark "oh, you'll be Earl for a long time" which I fear may be foreshadowing of the reverse. The series began with the heir to the Earldom being killed in the Titanic, so I don't think they'd use that plot point again. But I could see them wanting to show Matthew's reaction to taking on the burden of the estate. But if the Earl dies, where does the current Countess go? Do she and the daughters have to share the Dower House with her mother-in-law? That seems like a recipe for trouble...

ALso, I am hoping that Matthew and Mary don't do anything irrevocable before they realize their who their true love is...

EarthSky
1-10-12, 10:22pm
Love it! Especially Mary's character :)

TVRodriguez
1-10-12, 11:06pm
I recently caught the last two episodes of the first season (they replayed them on our pbs station before season 2 started), and I instantly loved them. Just saw the first episode of season 2 and still love it! I think I need to check out the first two episodes from season one on netflix, though, both to get the background and simply to enjoy.

IshbelRobertson
1-11-12, 5:43am
I've still got the Christmas special of Downton to watch - I taped it as it clashed with something everyone else wanted to watch. I'm storing it, like a hoarder, and will wait for a really cold, wet day to wallow!

Merski
1-11-12, 8:09am
What Christmas special??!!

madgeylou
1-11-12, 8:19am
oh my gosh the christmas special is so GOOD! it takes place after the events of season 2 and the last 90 seconds of it represent one of the loveliest moments i can remember seeing on tv!

season 2 is even better than season 1, i think. eep! can't wait for season 3!!

peggy
1-11-12, 9:29am
Love this!

IshbelRobertson
1-11-12, 10:47am
[QUOTE=Merski;61687]What Christmas special??!![/QUOT

The one Madgeylou has obviously seen (and thanks for not releasing any spoiler, Madgeylou!)

madgeylou
1-11-12, 11:45am
[QUOTE=Merski;61687]What Christmas special??!![/QUOT

The one Madgeylou has obviously seen (and thanks for not releasing any spoiler, Madgeylou!)

i could never!

sunnyjoe
1-11-12, 2:49pm
I've been living under a rock as well and can't wait to check this out! Particularly while I'm waiting for Season 2 of the BBC Sherlock series to be available here. Thanks! :)

Cypress
1-11-12, 3:07pm
If Matthew does not return from the front, what happens to the estate? If he is the only living male heir now what. Something is brewing with his fiance. I find it rather sudden that he finds another so quickly. I think he carries a torch for Mary and his male pride is involved. I love this sort of speculating.

If the Earl dies and the family have to move out, she and the kids can move back to America. We haven't seen any relations from the States. She has to have them.

Here is a bigger question, there seem to be numerous estate homes in England than harken back to the days shown in this story. What happened to all those families? I have heard of the National Trust but aren't some of the gentry still living in the homes?

I'm loving it. Especially Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess.

I am most worried about the Earl, of whose character I am very fond. Matthew made the remark "oh, you'll be Earl for a long time" which I fear may be foreshadowing of the reverse. The series began with the heir to the Earldom being killed in the Titanic, so I don't think they'd use that plot point again. But I could see them wanting to show Matthew's reaction to taking on the burden of the estate. But if the Earl dies, where does the current Countess go? Do she and the daughters have to share the Dower House with her mother-in-law? That seems like a recipe for trouble...

ALso, I am hoping that Matthew and Mary don't do anything irrevocable before they realize their who their true love is...

treehugger
1-11-12, 4:29pm
I've been living under a rock as well and can't wait to check this out! Particularly while I'm waiting for Season 2 of the BBC Sherlock series to be available here. Thanks! :)

Oh, I loved Sherlock! What a fun, short, series that was. Definitely looking forward to more.

IshbelRobertson
1-11-12, 5:11pm
Yes, many of the British landed gentry still live in their ancestral homes, including the Earl of Caernarvon, who lives in Highclere Castle, the Downton Abbey of the series! One of the family's ancestors was the man who funded the opening of King Tut's burial chamber and then silly rumours began that the family had been cursed, simply because THAT early died of a bite or a fever (can't remember now!)...

Many of the stately homes that have been taken over by the National Trust of England (and the Scottish NT) still allow the family to live in a wing of the home.

peggy
1-11-12, 8:51pm
If Matthew dies, then the fiance could play a bigger part, especially if there is a 'bun in the oven' so to speak. She did seem rather abrupt, in appearance and attitude. Now I'm not up on inheritance rules of the time, but if Matthew dies without an heir, could one of the daughters take possession through marriage and the birth of a male? Or is the mother still able to have a boy, although I think they explored that in season one.
I don't think they will kill off Matthew, but he might come back damaged, where the fiance might reject him leaving him open to Mary, again.
I really like how they are 'growing' the second daughter, i don't remember her name. Having her work on the farm is brilliant, i think.

AmeliaJane
1-11-12, 10:00pm
Speaking of Americans, I remember now that when I watched this episode I was wondering if they might introduce any American characters--between Cora's family, who we have never met, and the Americans who served in WWI, there would be a couple of different opportunities. The fun of watching Maggie Smith react would be totally worth it...

Have y'all watched Gosford Park, the film also written by Julian Fellowes? It's set a generation later and has many similar upstairs/downstairs themes, although the relationship between the two is not nearly as warm. Maggie Smith plays a similar character in that one, but interestingly as a woman of very little power (financially dependent on a loathed nephew-in-law) instead of the Dowager Countess. It's also a bit of a cautionary tale-there are three sisters in that one also (of about the same age as the Crawley girls, but in this case, twenty years later in life), none of whom have married entirely happily. Hopefully the Crawley sisters will do better...

IshbelRobertson
1-12-12, 5:12am
The laws of entail are complex, but if Downtown HAS to go to a male heir, then the nearest male... no matter how far removed from the present family... would inherit.

pony mom
1-12-12, 11:11pm
I'm enjoying it as well. I'm also a huge fan of Upstairs Downstairs (recently finished rewatching the entire series on DVD), which takes place in the same time period.

Comparing the two, I find the family and servants of Downton Abbey a bit too chummy. I can't imagine Mr. Hudson hugging a member of the family.

A review mentioned a 'death bed confession'; who could it be??? I think the fiance Lavinia has a past with the guy who proposed to Mary. We'll have to tune in and see.

iris lily
1-13-12, 12:06am
Yes, Gosford Park was a decent film.

I agree that the household help and the Crawley family are overly chummy, that can't be realistic. You hit on one of the things that keep this production from being first rate in my mind. The sets and clothes are fabulous, however.

Upstairs Downstairs and Duchess of Duke Street were sublime.

Hey, did anyone see that recent BBC show with Rose, the maid from Upstairs Downstairs? In it she went back to the Bellamy house and provided household help for the new residents. She was the head of an employment agency that provided domestics. It was ok, not great.

IshbelRobertson
1-13-12, 5:00am
Iwatched the first of the series, IrisLily - but didn't think it was very good. Maybe the idea had reached its 'sell-by' date!

HappyHiker
1-13-12, 9:37am
Yes, I just got "hooked" thanks to your recommendations and my husband's. It's a good story and a behind the scene's peek into life downstairs and upstairs. English law regarding inheritance is fascinating.

Maggie Smith's acting is amazing.

The furnishings, the gorgeous costumes--especially the women's dresses, and the neighboring village with its cozy architecture I find intriguing. Quite a slice of life and times pre (and I guess later on during) WWI.

Nella
1-13-12, 8:37pm
...Maggie Smith's acting is amazing...She is amazing! I had the extreme good fortunate of seeing her and Judy Dench in a London West End play. It was a two-woman play where they were the only characters. I still hold it as one of the most memorable moments of my life.

iris lily
1-13-12, 8:47pm
She is amazing! I had the extreme good fortunate of seeing her and Judy Dench in a London West End play. It was a two-woman play where they were the only characters. I still hold it as one of the most memorable moments of my life.
O. M. G.

That would SO be the best theatrical experience of my life!

HappyHiker
1-13-12, 9:02pm
Make that a three-woman performance and add in Meryl Streep and that would be like seeing the three tenors of opera in that never-to-be-duplicated performance.

Tradd
1-13-12, 10:36pm
English law regarding inheritance is fascinating.

The entail also plays a large part in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility

Rogar
1-13-12, 11:18pm
I don't know if any of you Downton fans might have also read The Fall of Giants by Follet? I thought there were some interesting similarities. The same time period and a comparison between the aristocracy and working class. The Follet book gets more into the social issues and politics of the day but was light on character development and plot (my humble opinion). I have thought they were a good compliment to each other.

Nella
1-14-12, 9:28pm
I don't know if any of you Downton fans might have also read The Fall of Giants by Follet? I thought there were some interesting similarities. The same time period and a comparison between the aristocracy and working class. The Follet book gets more into the social issues and politics of the day but was light on character development and plot (my humble opinion). I have thought they were a good compliment to each other.Just finished Fall of Giants. Can't wait for the next book in the series to come out. And I agree, the same time periods and tensions between the classes are a bit reminiscent of Downton Abbey. It was fun to read the one while waiting for Downton Abbey to return.

Nella
1-14-12, 9:31pm
O. M. G.

That would SO be the best theatrical experience of my life! It really was!

Happy Hiker, I think that for me, the third actor I'd like to see would be Patrick Stewart. The three of them in a play would probably make me catatonic!

KayLR
1-19-12, 5:39pm
Ok, I just finished all 7 Season 1 episodes via Amazon Prime to my Kindle Fire. OMG...do I thank or blame you all for this new obsession?

To the OP: to me, I'm thinking Americans are taking to this series so much because it is the anti-Kardashian, the anti-Big Brother, the anti-anything reality tv. People being kind, thoughtful and benevolent to each other; the treacherous being in minority. What a rare relief!

treehugger
1-19-12, 6:09pm
To the OP: to me, I'm thinking Americans are taking to this series so much because it is the anti-Kardashian, the anti-Big Brother, the anti-anything reality tv. People being kind, thoughtful and benevolent to each other; the treacherous being in minority. What a rare relief!

Really? I actually found that the nasty scheming of the ladies maid and the footman really annoyed me. I prefer my villains more nuanced, I guess.

Anyway, of course I don't disagree that Downton Abbey is lightyears better than most of what's on TV, but I have discovered I don't care to rewatch the series. I just tried to, since I have it available on Netflix streaming, and so many here are enraptured. I rewatched the first episode, enjoyed it enough, and then had no desire to live through the same storylines again. I will definitely watch the 2nd season when available again though.

Everyone has different tastes, of course, so I'm not knocking anyone for loving it. I was just left a tad cold by it, and have gotten much more into other period dramas. For instance, I fervently loved (and can watch over and over again) Pride & Prejudice (1995), Cranford (#1 more than #2, but both are worth watching), Middlemarch, and North & South (Elizabeth Gaskell adaptation, not the American Civil War series).

Kara

KayLR
1-19-12, 11:07pm
I did say there was treachery. Just-- to me --outweighed by portrayals of decency so lacking on American Tv. YMMV.

iris lily
1-20-12, 12:14am
Kara, agreed, those you named are more interesting and subtle. Wasn't Cranford great!!!? So unexpected that little old ladies could provide such entertainment.

KayLR
1-20-12, 12:26pm
Guess I need to download those and watch them as well if they're even better than DA.

treehugger
1-20-12, 1:14pm
Kara, agreed, those you named are more interesting and subtle. Wasn't Cranford great!!!? So unexpected that little old ladies could provide such entertainment.

That's exactly what I loved about Cranford. All the subtle humor and manipulations from those "powerless" women. I recently read the book (it's short, like a novella, but epistolary) and I adored it, too. And reading it, and a few other Gaskell's other stories, really gave me a renewed appreciation for the screenwriters. They changed a lot, even combining separate books, but all to the positive. It's certainly not automatic (as we all know) that great books make for great movies/TV shows, but they hit Cranford out of the park (to use a very inappropriate sports analogy when discussion period literature).

Kara

iris lily
1-20-12, 4:04pm
That's exactly what I loved about Cranford. All the subtle humor and manipulations from those "powerless" women. I recently read the book (it's short, like a novella, but epistolary) and I adored it, too. And reading it, and a few other Gaskell's other stories, really gave me a renewed appreciation for the screenwriters. They changed a lot, even combining separate books, but all to the positive. It's certainly not automatic (as we all know) that great books make for great movies/TV shows, but they hit Cranford out of the park (to use a very inappropriate sports analogy when discussion period literature).

Kara

Cranford was an Eliz Gaskill work? If I knew it, I forgot it. Her Wives and Daughters is one of the top ten BBC period dramas EVER for me. It is perfection.

treehugger
1-20-12, 4:12pm
Elizabeth Gaskell, yeah, and so was North & South. See if your library has Cranford (the book). I think you will enjoy it. The one I just read was titled Cranford and Other Stories, and it had a story about a handsome young country doctor, which was separate from Cranford, but the crafty Cranford miniseries creators smooshed in to great effect. Also some other, in my opinion, less enjoyable Gaskell stories (the Salem Witch trials, what the heck?). I believe she is my favorite Dickens contemporary. Also, I also love Wilkie Collins (Moonstone, especially).

When I first saw Wives and Daughters, I missed Austen-style wit, but I grew to love it, and IMO, Cranford is full of quietly hilarious moments.

Kara

pony mom
1-20-12, 9:50pm
treehugger, I've read a few Wilkie Collins and really enjoyed them too. Haven't tried Moonstone, but read The Woman in White (saw the Broadway musical too--oooh Michael Ball!) and Armadale. Love those long detail-filled stories.

You might like Thomas Hardy too. I've read Gaskell years ago as well. For some time all I read was classic English novels. The Parasites by Daphne de Maurier was a good long one.

Quite often I'm disappointed in the filmed version of a book I've read, but they really can't copy it exactly.

I'm always happy to be absorbed in a good British series for a few weeks.

IshbelRobertson
1-21-12, 5:18pm
Larkrise to Candleford - Flora Thompson

This was televised by the BBC a while back (think it went to 2 or 3 series). It is from a series of books by
I believe it was filmed in Wiltshire, but the books are based in rural Oxfordshire, about the turn of the 1900s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gbbl0

IshbelRobertson
1-21-12, 5:22pm
I loved Daphne Du Maurier novels when I was a teenager. When I first visited Cornwall I was delighted to see places she wrote about, like Jamaica Inn (on Bodmin Moor) and other sites of interest.

The Poldark series of novels were great, too- set in Cornwall, written by Winston Graham - and I think they were made into TV programmes, but can't be sure.

gail_d
1-21-12, 5:31pm
Just getting in on the conversation--but I too now have to see Downton Abbey on Sunday nights (and my local station repeats Sunday night's segment on the following Thursday night).

Here's the Downton Abbey personality quiz from my local PBS station--which character are you?
http://www.weta.org/tv/picks/downtonabbey/quiz

(I'm Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham, but I admit to tweaking the answers to get the character I wanted.)

How do I see the Christmas special?

IshbelRobertson
1-21-12, 6:21pm
I took the test and tweaked the answers to correspond with the views that might be held by a Dowager Countess.

Yes, I am Lady Violet, too!

Re Christmas special. I haven't a clue when or if it has been transmitted in the USA or Canada!

Nella
1-22-12, 7:35pm
O. M. G.

That would SO be the best theatrical experience of my life!It truly was!! I got the ticket from the half-price booth in Leicester Square. Couldn't believe there was a ticket available.

AmeliaJane
1-23-12, 8:26am
Re the Christmas special--I didn't see this officially written out on a PBS website, but I read elsewhere on the Internet that the Christmas special will be the last episode aired in the US as part of this series. I think that's right...the show is airing over 7 nights, but the first week was two hours (for a total of 8) and the series itself was seven hours long in the UK. So the 8th hour would be the Xmas special.

I enjoy every episode, but last night's seemed a little slow to me. This would be the midpoint, so I'm guessing things will accelerate as we near the finale. I'm still worried about who our big death is going to be (I don't know anything--I just assume that a series about a global conflict has to kill off at least one major character). I had thought it would be the Earl, or William the footman, but now I am wondering about Isobel, Matthew's mother. If she died in France (which is still a dangerous war zone, even if she's behind the lines in Paris), Matthew would likely be very upset at the Downton Crawleys, especially Cora, who sort of drove her off. That could set up some interesting conflict. Now I'm thinking William survives, so that we can see what happens when Daisy has to tell him the truth. I am also starting to wonder if Matthew's fiancee ends up breaking it off. Although Mary and Matthew are both behaving very well, Lavinia seems to be a fairly bright person and I could see her releasing him because she doesn't want to be his second choice--also Mary has treated her so kindly over the blackmail story (as opposed to her grandmother and aunt's pot stirring), Lavinia might be more favorably inclined to an outcome that benefits Mary.

Merski
1-23-12, 11:32am
Ishbel- Poldark either streams on netflix or is available on disc We just re-experienced the series last year. I can remember no matter what happened on Sunday night we were home watching poledark on masterpiece theater....remember the old days when you missed your show you needed to get a synopsis from a friend who did see it??? I'm old!

IshbelRobertson
1-23-12, 2:17pm
Merski
I'm based in the UK - I have cable TV, but tend not to watch much, so maybe Poldark has been re-shown since the 70s, but I haven't seen it here.
I'm thinking of re-buying the whole series for my Kindle, I still have hard-back copies of the whole series of novels on my bookshelves.

Cypress
1-23-12, 3:57pm
This is an interesting story line. I thought it was awkward with Cora treating Mrs. Crawley in such an off-hand manner. Get out and go! Jeez. Mrs. Crawley doesn't help her situation. She's had a chip on her shoulder since day one.

What do you think will happen with Thomas? I was surprised he wasn't questioned more thoroughly on how he received the bullet wound to the hand. As a soldier at the front, he would have known the penalty for a light at night. Mrs. Padmore's nephew was shot for cowardice. We don't hear about all the circumstances but it seems to me, that's what Thomas did. His character is the most confused to me. What is he? Is he homosexual? That was implied but is he?

Frankly, I don't care for the Mr. Bates/Anna story line. We are not given any background on Anna. How did she get there? What are her ambitions? Is he good enough for her?

I cannot figure out what will happen? I understand the series is supposed to continue on for another installment later this year. I originally thought Matthew would not survive the war but would they kill off such a major character? He has resolved his conflict with Mary.

I do not see Cybil and Branson as a couple after the war. Cybil does not have any feeling beyond friendship toward Branson.

Cora brought the money to Downtown to maintain the family wealth. We never hear about Cora's family or connections. We need the book to bolster the characters.

Nella
1-23-12, 4:35pm
This is an interesting story line...We never hear about Cora's family or connections. We need the book to bolster the characters.Was it a novel to begin with or just a screenplay? I looked on a couple of book sites, but didn't see anything that might have been a novel that the series was based on. I'd jump on a copy of a novel. Anybody know?

iris lily
1-23-12, 5:13pm
Cypress, those are GREAT observations! There is background and depth missing. I don't think it exists anywhere since this is an original screenplay, right?

I have to confess this: I watched what I thought was the first episode of Downton Abbey but in reality it was the first episode on the 2nd disc. I could follow most of it. Being a lifelong fan of these BBC costume dramas, it's not rocket science. I thought it was missing some background and explanation, but thought, oh well--that's the way it is.

I discovered my error along the way and I have to say that now, having watched all of it--I still have the same criticism! ha ha.

pony mom
1-23-12, 7:08pm
Larkrise to Candleford - Flora Thompson

This was televised by the BBC a while back (think it went to 2 or 3 series). It is from a series of books by
I believe it was filmed in Wiltshire, but the books are based in rural Oxfordshire, about the turn of the 1900s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gbbl0

I have this book and loved it. Didn't care for the series much though. The book was more about living in the country at that time. There was a line in the book somewhere, something along the lines of being poor but not knowing it. It was enjoyable reading about the different traditions, like the maypole, weddings, etc.

Oh, we all know that Mary and Matthew will be together in the end. For once I'd like a not-so-happy-and-predictible ending.

iris lily
1-24-12, 12:02am
I am watching Bergman's Fanny and Alexander and it's a lovely costume drama set in Sweden at the turn of the century. Don't know how I've missed it for so long. I hear there is a 5 hour version that Bergman created. It would fit it right now on tv as a mini-series on PBS. This plus Troubled Water plus The Girl finishes my mini-Scandinavian film festival of late. I recommend all.

IshbelRobertson
1-24-12, 4:53am
Pony Mom
You're right - the TV series was not as good as the books - but I didn't notice many of the differences, as there was probably a 25+ year gap between the reading and the seeing!

Zemma
2-5-12, 12:23am
My family are Downton Abbey tragics and I even received a book about it for Christmas, The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes. It's not the novel behind the series, but has all the back stories created around the characters and great background on the era, stories about the filming etc. Great to fill in the time between series. I have watched Series 2 and the Christmas special (which in terms of the time line of the series comes last). I just think it's all good escapist fun with both predictable and unpredictable bits to the story line and like the best of telly - wonderfully addictive!

Tiam
2-5-12, 1:12am
I haven't watched this yet, but mean to, but whenever I hear it said on TV, (such as Regis and Kelly, woops, no Regis now) it sounds like "Doti-ally". Took me a while to understand what people were talking about!

mtnlaurel
2-5-12, 8:03am
I haven't watched this yet, but mean to, but whenever I hear it said on TV, (such as Regis and Kelly, woops, no Regis now) it sounds like "Doti-ally". Took me a while to understand what people were talking about!

Heed Zemma's words above... 'addictive'
I saw this thread and plowed through all of Season 1 on Netflix, then Season 2 episodes on pbs.org in a matter of days.

I am now caught up and counting down to show time tonight.

Historical dramas are my favorite though.
I've never been a soap opera watcher, but at some point... maybe 70% through season 1, I thought, "This is like General Hospital, meets All My Children, meets Days of Our Lives, meets steroids."

Merski
2-5-12, 9:01am
Superbowl? What Superbowl??? We're watching Downton Abbey! What is going to happen??? Who is that bandaged Man?????

Tradd
2-5-12, 10:42pm
You should know by now who the bandaged man is! PBS put tonight's episode up earlier than last week on their website.

Wow!

I found this UK article on the finale last fall. Spoiler alert! It tells you what happens. I had already found out one bit of info from another UK article, and this completed the picture. I sometimes read the final few pages of a book before I begin reading it, even mysteries! IMO, it's the journey, not the end! ;)

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2011/11/06/downton-abbey-series-2-finale-review/

Tradd
2-5-12, 10:54pm
BTW, the season one episodes are no longer on the PBS website. But if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can watch them for free via the instant video.

redfox
2-6-12, 1:46am
We just finished season one on netflix. I love Dame Maggie!

IshbelRobertson
2-6-12, 5:40am
Newspaper reports here suggest that Shirley Maclean will be in the next series as the mother of the Duchess. It'll be interesting to see how flighty, ditzy Ms Mac bounces off Dame Maggie....!

Merski
2-6-12, 6:58am
Before we went to sleep last night, DH and I speculated about the finale...will (gasp!) wait till next week to find out.

San Onofre Guy
2-6-12, 6:12pm
One of the joys of living on the West Coast. We were able to watch Madonna and what I thought was a very entertaining football game bookending an enjoyable Madonna show. Did I say that I really enjoyed Madonna's performance. We then took a break and when 9:00 pm came along enjoyed the Earl of Granthem and all that he rules over.

I really don't think much of that Sir Richard individual, you know how he got his money.......HE EARNED IT!

mtnlaurel
2-6-12, 7:04pm
I just watched last night's episode - what was Mrs. P, the cook, saying they should do now that the war was over? She said it to the surly dark haired footman turned yellow-bellied medic.

I couldn't understand her through the accent.

mtnlaurel
2-6-12, 7:09pm
How I feel about Downton Abbey.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FBfAQ-NDE

Tradd
2-6-12, 7:18pm
Mtnlaurel, it's about maybe getting started on the black market. She said they should think about hoarding.

HappyHiker
2-7-12, 9:45pm
Just like you, I'm loving this series...especially Maggie Smith...her sarcasm has me in stitches...and the costumes, my those graceful and elegant clothes...so very lovely...oh that we would dress that way today, says I, sitting here in my sweats...

peggy
2-8-12, 9:14am
Do you all think that was really Patrick under the bandages? I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of that character. His arrival sets up all sorts of plot twists.

Stella
2-13-12, 7:34am
I was disappointed by last night's episode. The Lavinia thing was too clean a solution. I know they are trying to make it look like it further complicates things, but I doubt it will for long.

Also, I really thought Lord Granthem was behaving out of character with the whole Jane business. Beyond anything, investing that much emotion in something that seemed to be to be based on thin air, and at a time when his wife was all but dying, seemed incongruous with the kind of person he's been in the past. It just seemed like cheap drama to me.

That said, I'll still probably keep watching.

mtnlaurel
2-13-12, 1:15pm
I was disappointed by last night's episode. The Lavinia thing was too clean a solution. I know they are trying to make it look like it further complicates things, but I doubt it will for long.

Also, I really thought Lord Granthem was behaving out of character with the whole Jane business. Beyond anything, investing that much emotion in something that seemed to be to be based on thin air, and at a time when his wife was all but dying, seemed incongruous with the kind of person he's been in the past. It just seemed like cheap drama to me.

That said, I'll still probably keep watching.

I felt similarly Stella... a lot of last night fell kind of flat for me too..

The whole 'I'm available now, but we can never be together' or 'I'm available, but don't like you anymore' thing between Mary and Matthew is getting very tiresome. I actually think I said 'Oh Please' out loud to the TV when Matthew & Mary were talking over the grave of Lavinia.

And I kept thinking the storyline b/t Lord G and Jane would be that Freddie (her son) was really Lord G's son .... in that so much of the time was also spent on Edna's out of wedlock child and then another statement the Head Housekeeper said a few episodes back when she told Edna that she would just have to make up a story about her husband dying in the war... I thought that was foreshadowing to Lord G and Jane's deal ---- his interest in Jane's son struck me as odd all along.

Oh, I'll definitely keep watching though.
I heard a little snippet this morning on NPR about the accuracy of the language in the series and when I even just hear the theme music, I have an instant reaction of anticipation.... like Pavlov's dog!

Here's the NPR link:
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/13/146652747/im-just-sayin-there-are-anachronisms-in-downton

Which is funny b/c one of my favorite things I say to my DH which gives us a big chuckle is...
"I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just sayin.....'" :~)

Cypress
2-13-12, 4:19pm
I also had problems with Lord Grantham's attraction to Jane. As they were getting cozy, I was thinking of Cora down the hall gasping for life. The leap from simple attraction to an adult relationship was too swift for me. I don't get how Jane could let herself get so involved to the guy she loses her job. A job for a widowed woman with a child is tough in this time period, let alone 1919. She appears alone in the world. She does have the pension I suppose to fall back on. I like and don't like this story. I like and don't like Matthew. Matthew has had enough shocks in his life at this point to have had a serious nervous breakdown. The writing is too superficial for me. I cannot think the English are so reserved in nature as to roll out of war zone due to a life altering injury, roll into recovery, stand up, set the wedding date, etc......maybe I am a wimp but every incident in Matthew's life has been trivialized. I actually thought his moment with Mary dancing in the hall was a dream sequence.

Stella
2-13-12, 4:30pm
I also had problems with Lord Grantham's attraction to Jane. As they were getting cozy, I was thinking of Cora down the hall gasping for life.

Exactly. That's a level of smarmy that just doesn't fit with his character. It reminds me of my BIL serving the divorce papers to my sister while she was in the hospital for cancer. Not classy.

I agree the transition was pretty swift too. WTF? You've had like five conversations, most of them along the lines of conversations I'd have with my mother. Man, this war is awful. How's the red wine? How's the kid doing in school? That and three kisses hardly seems like a relationship worthy of the kind of emotion they seemed to attach to it. And I say this as a woman who married a man I'd known for a month, so I'm all about Love at First Sight. :)

mtnlaurel I agree with you. I think they need to wrap up the Matthew/Mary storyline and get someone new in some drama. Maybe it needs to be the middle sister's turn. You can only do this back and forth thing so long before people cease to care.

Stella
2-13-12, 4:34pm
I should add on the plus side that Maggie Smith is still freaking awesome. I love her attitude.

mtnlaurel
2-13-12, 4:35pm
It reminds me of my BIL serving the divorce papers to my sister while she was in the hospital for cancer. Not classy.

Is Newt your BIL?
Sorry, I couldn't help myself ... wrong forum.

Stella
2-13-12, 4:42pm
Is Newt your BIL?
Sorry, I couldn't help myself ... wrong forum.

:)

AmeliaJane
2-13-12, 7:25pm
I was appalled at first about the Spanish flu with Lord Grantham and Jane down the hall, but then I realized that part of the deal is that the characters don't realize how serious it is at first, although we do...at that point I believe they still thought it was more like a severe cold. So kissing the maid is still smarmy, but not as coldhearted as it may have seemed to us. I think they must have shoehorned that story in there as a contrast to Sybil and her relationship with the chauffeur, not that it really worked.

Matthew and his renouncement of a relationship with Mary over Lavinia's grave didn't really bother me. Lavinia may not have been his One True Love but I do believe he felt loyalty and affection for her, and grief after her death. Grieving people say crazy things. Now, Lavinia's scene talking to Matthew about breaking off the match did bother me. I kept waiting for her to say "And although I love you, I also deserve someone who can love me the way you do Mary." Instead we got, "Oh, I could never be the lady of Downton Abbey" when Matthew has made it clear the estate is a secondary thing with him.

What I am really curious about is Sybil's relationship with Branson. The writers have hinted several times that she is more in love with the idea of someone different from her world than the actual person--that scene where she agrees to marry Branson, she actually says that she wants to get out of Downton, and he's her ticket. I'm interested in whether that was just klutzy writing, or they actually intend to work out the consequences of a mismatch. All the potential romantic interests, except Edith, are getting worked out...they have to do something next season...

Cypress
2-14-12, 12:45pm
Now that the war is over, I suspect the reason we have not seen or heard from Cora's family may be partially due to a halt/or less transportation from the U.S. to England. I read that Shirley Maclaine will play Cora's mother. So, maybe she is getting ready to sail over. I cannot recall if Cora brought a "dowry" intact or is she receiving money annually as an heiress. What business is her family in? If the series goes through to the Great Depression, what than? Here's a question, was the Great Depression an American problem only?

I hope Mary has another revelation about having a life. Of all the sisters, I'd love to see her to get out of the role of Lady and go into business for herself. She is very bright, well connected and not averse to taking risk. Her statement about being stuck with the choices you make caught me by surprise. She knows how to work with what she's got and make something out of it. She also knows how to take charge and order people around. Skills for a lady in business. My guess is she will break it off with Carlisle after some scandal erupts over his business. Here is a thread, Cora's family comes to visit, Mary decides to take a holiday to the States, gets caught up in the Suffrage movement and makes a break in tradition. Cora's family wealth cannot last forever.

Tiam
2-14-12, 8:57pm
To the best of my knowledge, then, as now, the financial crisis of the 30's was an international issue.

peggy
2-14-12, 9:25pm
Now that the war is over, I suspect the reason we have not seen or heard from Cora's family may be partially due to a halt/or less transportation from the U.S. to England. I read that Shirley Maclaine will play Cora's mother. So, maybe she is getting ready to sail over. I cannot recall if Cora brought a "dowry" intact or is she receiving money annually as an heiress. What business is her family in? If the series goes through to the Great Depression, what than? Here's a question, was the Great Depression an American problem only?

I hope Mary has another revelation about having a life. Of all the sisters, I'd love to see her to get out of the role of Lady and go into business for herself. She is very bright, well connected and not averse to taking risk. Her statement about being stuck with the choices you make caught me by surprise. She knows how to work with what she's got and make something out of it. She also knows how to take charge and order people around. Skills for a lady in business. My guess is she will break it off with Carlisle after some scandal erupts over his business. Here is a thread, Cora's family comes to visit, Mary decides to take a holiday to the States, gets caught up in the Suffrage movement and makes a break in tradition. Cora's family wealth cannot last forever.

But don't forget, Carlisle threatened her with the knowledge he has about that guy ( I don't remember his name) dying in her room. I think that is what she was refering to when she said we live with the choices we make. He told her that if she ever crossed him, he would tell the world, so to speak.
I though the thing with Lord Grantham and Jane was gratuitous. Like some director somewhere saying, you need to add some sex to this.
I still think Patrick will resurface at some point. He is, after all, the rightful heir to the estate. And I think Edith will be the mistress of Downton Abbey, after all is said and done.

Stella
2-14-12, 10:04pm
That's a good thought Peggy. Maybe Patrick will turn out to be real and he and Edith will take over. Mary and Matthew could take off with the American relatives somewhere where no one gives a hoot if you had an indiscretion with a Turkish diplomat when you were young and foolish. :)

Tiam
2-14-12, 10:20pm
Usually, in historical dramas, glaring inaccuracies tend to jar me. In this case the Mirandizing of Bates. Miranda rights originated in the US in the l960's. It may seem trivial, but what was the point of it? Errors like those tend to pull me out the suspension of disbelief.

gail_d
2-16-12, 12:01am
On a DA forum, someone from England pointed out that what sounded to us like Mr Bates being read his Miranda rights were already codified in English law, and so it was in fact accurate.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow (Thursday) night because my PBS station reruns the Sunday night Downton Abbey episode at 8 then . . . and in just a few more days I'll see the finale!

Tiam
2-16-12, 12:46am
That's a relief! LOL. Don't forget to watch the Christmas special. It's essential.

pony mom
2-21-12, 12:02am
Oh, Nigel Havers is looking old : ( But he's still got that smooth sexy voice.

I love the extras after the expisode aired. It's cool to see how different the actors look in real life compared to their characters.

IshbelRobertson
2-21-12, 4:50am
Just to let you all know - the first episode of the second series of the new Upstairs Downstairs (phew, try saying that quickly!) aired in the UK last Sunday night. I happened to be watching a series Call the Midwife (well worth catching if it is aired in the US/Canada) and UD followed. I have to say, it was wonderfully acted and, dare I say it... I enjoyed it more than DA... Although I have to be honest and say that the first series of the show didn't impress me at all.

Tenngal
2-21-12, 6:53am
the Christmas special was so enjoyable. Especially all the Matthew-Mary moments. Hope we don't have to wait too long for season 3.

Nella
2-21-12, 11:38am
the Christmas special was so enjoyable. Especially all the Matthew-Mary moments. Hope we don't have to wait too long for season 3.Is there to be a third season? They seemed to wrap up all the major story lines and there was no, "The third season is in production," kind of note at the end of season two like they had at the end of the first. I'd be very disappointed if they don't do a third season.

IshbelRobertson
2-21-12, 11:48am
The newspapers in the UK reported that series 3 will not be shown until late Autumn - but who knows?

peggy
2-21-12, 12:34pm
Is there to be a third season? They seemed to wrap up all the major story lines and there was no, "The third season is in production," kind of note at the end of season two like they had at the end of the first. I'd be very disappointed if they don't do a third season.

Oh yea! Well, there is Patrick, for one. He is the rightful heir to the estate, so I'm guessing he will reappear to sort of challenge Matthew. Plus the daughter in Ireland is pregnant, so there is that plot line. Plus there must be some tension between her and her husband as they come from far different backgrounds. In that story line I see the parents interfering saying the baby must be brought up as a little lord, or whatever. There is the middle daughter who hasn't been settled at all. The wife might find out about the lords indiscretion too.
Downstairs there is still a lifetime jail sentence, a young maid who is asserting herself, the shifty footman and the guilty ladies maid.
Plenty to work with IMO

KayLR
2-21-12, 4:39pm
Oh yea! Well, there is Patrick, for one. He is the rightful heir to the estate, so I'm guessing he will reappear to sort of challenge Matthew. Plus the daughter in Ireland is pregnant, so there is that plot line. Plus there must be some tension between her and her husband as they come from far different backgrounds. In that story line I see the parents interfering saying the baby must be brought up as a little lord, or whatever. There is the middle daughter who hasn't been settled at all. The wife might find out about the lords indiscretion too.
Downstairs there is still a lifetime jail sentence, a young maid who is asserting herself, the shifty footman and the guilty ladies maid.
Plenty to work with IMO

Not to mention Shirley Maclaine has been added to the cast as Cora's American mother, so there will be a plot line for her, I'm sure!

EarthSky
2-21-12, 5:00pm
I have loved every minute of the series, and am now having withdrawal symptoms, lol. However, have found another Wonderful series from the library - Doc Martin. Any one else seen it? I watched Seasons 1, 2 and 3 so far - on to season 4, and hopefully they will do a season 5.
Memorable quirky characters in the small town, and excellent depictions of Asperger's and mental health issues weaved throughout.

Nella
2-21-12, 6:06pm
Plenty to work with IMOWhen you're right, you're right. I bow to those with the better, stronger handle on the story lines. You are correct as there is a lot to still work with. I just can't wait to see what they're all up to next!!

AmeliaJane
2-21-12, 7:08pm
I am very curious about what they will do with the marriage of the youngest daughter to the chauffeur. It certainly sounded like her acceptance of his proposal was more about escape from her lifestyle than a passion for Branson himself. Even if they truly are in love, there would certainly be some tensions about a completely new lifestyle, and I wonder whether his friends and family would accept her as English, upper class, and non-Catholic. I hope they explore some of that, and not just "Papa doesn't approve of the marriage." Plus I am really ready for Edith to have a plot line of her own. Although it makes sense that she would seriously be considering an older man--so many men her age would have died in the war. Maybe American Grandma will bring along a suitor from the US, although Edith does seem to be the most traditional of the three girls. I also wouldn't mind a few new characters, especially downstairs. I wasn't in love with this season's but they were really made to play second fiddle to the ongoing plot lines. "Lost" did a great job of introducing new and interesting characters later in the series, so it can be done.

peggy
2-21-12, 9:36pm
When you're right, you're right. I bow to those with the better, stronger handle on the story lines. You are correct as there is a lot to still work with. I just can't wait to see what they're all up to next!!

Me too! I hope we don't have to wait too long.

pony mom
2-21-12, 11:15pm
I'm enjoying the series but don't understand all the fuss over it. It's very good, but so were many other British tv series that I've watched on PBS. Maybe people have given up on regular commercial television and have finally discovered some quality programming on public tv.

mtnlaurel
2-22-12, 8:25am
I'm enjoying the series but don't understand all the fuss over it. It's very good, but so were many other British tv series that I've watched on PBS. Maybe people have given up on regular commercial television and have finally discovered some quality programming on public tv.

It is getting a ton of play in the media isn't it?
Maybe in this day in age of reality shows, crime shows, and the wane of the soap opera there is need for a good Dallas/Falcon Crest/Thornbird-esque storyline afterall. ?????
I am certain that the suits at the networks have taken notice.

I have loved this thread b/c I've been trying some other similar series I"m learning about here.
Downton Abby has totally reeled me in though -- even if I am starting to scoff at some of it.

I don't know how I'm going to make it until fall without my fix!

Nella
2-22-12, 6:42pm
I don't know how I'm going to make it until fall without my fix!There's always the original Upstairs Downstairs series that started off in black and white. I'm lucky that it's available at my library and a copy may be at yours as well. Worth checking in to.

Tradd
2-22-12, 8:54pm
If you're an Amazon Prime member, the first season of the original Upstairs Downstairs is available for free streaming. You had to pay for later seasons.

iris lily
2-22-12, 9:00pm
Duchess of Duke Street! I prefer that one over Upstairs Downstairs but both are good.

So glad to hear that the new U/S is good, too.

Downton Abbey is so popular that there is a thread on the local film discussion board here in my hometown, and it is strange because there are men discussing it. British costume dramas tend to be favored by women. They are defending it to me, since I think it is--enh. Granted, I've not watched Season 2 but did see one episode of Season 2 and it seem very odd--in it Mary apparently is secretly in love with Matthew, and I can't remember why she rejected him to begin with. And in it my beloved doughy faced valet guy was absent.

Tradd
4-7-12, 10:44pm
I was delighted to find this when I just googled DA's third season. :D

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/04/downton-abbey-3-preview-life-death-and-shirley-maclaine.html

CathyA
2-1-16, 4:31pm
Wasn't sure if this was where to post this, since the thread is almost 4 years old. I loved the latest episode of it (January 30, 2016). I think the final series episode is in March..??
Spoiler alert...........Don't read any further if you haven't seen this episode yet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have to say, I've never been so shocked/surprised/taken aback as I was when Lord Grantham got up from the table. I guess I didn't know he had an ulcer. I know his abdomen had been bothering him, but I thought he would just maybe pass out.

I thought it was a great scene and how everyone responded. I thought he would die, but I guess they did a gastrectomy. I wonder how that type of surgery was back then? What he said to Lady Grantham just about made me cry.

I was reading a review of this episode online in the New York Times and the writer wrote a great article on this last episode. He called it "Banquet of Blood" and "Downton, meet Alien". His review was good and pretty funny.

I had the sense in the past several episodes that they were working up to having some happy endings and resolving some issues. I am afraid that they might have Lord Grantham die. I hope not........but you never know. I guess I get too involved in some series and I will fill a sense of loss when this one is all over. For me, the music has also played a big part in conveying emotions.

I still don't know why Mrs. Hughes married Mr. Carson. He's sort of a stick-in-the-mud. I think Mrs. Patmore will find a happy ending with Mr. Mason. I sure wish she was my cook! haha
Anyhow.......anyone else a bit shocked by the Banquet of Blood? Right when it happened, it was like my brain couldn't compute. For a second, it almost seemed like a joke or something.

But I did like this episode. How about you?

Here's that article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/arts/television/downton-abbey-season-6-episode-5-a-shock-to-the-system.html

Simplemind
2-1-16, 5:26pm
I was figuring him for a heart attack. That was exactly how my husband was talking before his. I wasn't expecting the blood bath.

nswef
2-1-16, 7:39pm
I, too, expected a heart attack. At book club tonight one of the women said the same burst ulcer happened to her, except she got to the bathroom to erupt. I had never heard of it happening. I hope they don't let him die. I'm irritated with Mr. Carson's treatment of Mrs. Hughes. She'll let him learn! I will miss this show.

CathyA
2-1-16, 8:03pm
I think they want to end the show with everyone having someone.......but I was pretty irritated with him too.

I wonder how they handled gastrectomies back then. It won't be an easy life for Grantham.

freshstart
2-1-16, 8:56pm
I love DA but last year started all over to get my mom hooked, so I missed last season. We only made it to season 2, so I completely missed last season, the new season was starting and there were re-runs of last season available somewhere. But now with my weird memory, and having been in season 2 then trying to pop over to season 5, I was hopelessly confused. Unfortunately, I think I have to go back to the end of Season 2 and start from there. Grrr, I hate repeats but now I don't remember them as repeats so it probably won't be so bad practically starting over.

KayLR
2-2-16, 12:21pm
The dinner scene was so shocking I exclaimed "Oh my gosh!" loudly and woke my husband up! LOL!

I saw an interview with Hugh Bonneville yesterday. He said everyone on the crew knew what was coming all day and the set was very subdued in anticipation. They had rehearsed it, but the scene was done in two takes. He tried very hard to get it right because it takes an hour to re-set the table. Cora was not supposed to get splashed, he said.

I just hope Lady Mary doesn't hook up with the car guy. He seems like a jerk. I like the way Edith's storyline is going. I too, don't like the way the Carson/Mrs. Hughes storyline is going. I'd like to see her give him a comeuppance. I think Daisy, the new footman and the father-in-law will all end up together at the farm.

CathyA
2-2-16, 3:41pm
Yes, Cora got "splashed"......but I couldn't see it afterwards, when she (I think) still had the same dress on.
I agree that the new footman, Daisy and Mr. Mason will end up together. I'm not sure about Mr. Barrow. They'll make him a nice person after all, though. Mr.Molesley and Ms. O'Brien will probably end up together. Didn't Isobel marry someone? I was thinking she did, but I don't see much of him. I wonder.....do you think Mary would ever get interested in Branson? I don't know why Mary has been so cruel to Edith. I like Edith and hope she ends up happy.
I know there's lots of changes coming and I wonder if there won't be many left at Downton Abbey. I don't like changes......in terms of the time progression and "progress" in a society in period-type shows. I remember how much I liked "The Waltons".......but when it got too modern, it just lost it's magic.

Aqua Blue
2-2-16, 4:58pm
I think Mary and Branson would be a great couple. I think he is a super neat guy, at home with himself. They would be well matched IMHO.

Isobel was proposed to by the Dr. But, his son(s) were very upset and promised to make it difficult, so she wouldn't accept his offer.

Lainey
2-2-16, 8:00pm
I'm loving the hair and clothes of the 1920s. Also watching with interest the Mr. Mason potential matchup with Mrs. Patmore. But the dinner scene with Lord Grantham was something else!

freshstart
2-2-16, 8:17pm
I'm loving the hair and clothes of the 1920s. Also watching with interest the Mr. Mason potential matchup with Mrs. Patmore. But the dinner scene with Lord Grantham was something else!

there is a jewelry line out but it's pretty pricey albeit beautiful. The 20s are my favorite fashion decade, I love the clothes

iris lilies
2-2-16, 9:19pm
Is Lady Mary still playing "I love him, I love him not" with any number of men? That got old for me about season 2.

Tenngal
2-4-16, 3:32pm
my daughter and I have so much enjoyed this show and I hate to see it come to an end. I will never forgive the writer if Edith does not get her happy ending!

CathyA
2-15-16, 4:01pm
Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the February 14, 2016 episode.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I love Mrs. Patmore......and Mrs. Hughes......but I sure wouldn't put up with Mr. Carson. haha
Mrs. Patmore can't possibly do all the cooking she does........for the house, the staff, for Mrs. Hughes-Carson, for picnics, etc., etc. But it sure is fun watching her do it all.
I was afraid they were going to kill off Henry. I knew someone was going to die in that race.
I feel bad for Barrows. How will they give him a happy ending? What is the young girl in the kitchen (can't remember her name) taking the tests for? What does she want to do? I thought she wanted to be a cook.

And it's pretty funny that Lord Grantham appears to be eating and drinking alcohol, in spite of his not having a stomach. Maybe they called it a "gastrectomy", but they only took out the part with the ulcer??
Mary is so mean to Edith. I like Edith and always have. I guess it's just sibling rivalry.

Do you think Violet (Maggie Smith) is gone for good now? I dislike her lady maid and wish she'd fired her.
Anything else?

Cypress
2-22-16, 1:39pm
I watched most of this series from the start. The most interesting character development for me was Tom Branson. Look where he came from, an Irish chauffeur to the right hand manager to the estate. He is the only man who could talk to Mary as he has been. She is very lucky to have his sensible shoulders on her side. Remember how he was with Sybil? How they went to Ireland and than got out of dodge quick when things went bad. How he left Sybil behind and ran away. I forget the crime committed, I think they sacked the Brits house. How much he has changed and paid many dues in life.

I also love Mosley and Mrs. Baxter. Mosley has been looking for his place in society all his life. I am so glad for him now. I would guess that is his future. I think the program is showing us everyone's future. Staff will move on to other positions eventually. It's Daisy in the kitchen. She is the most irritating of all characters to me. She is too sharp, too outspoken and unpredictable. Although, I have to remember who are her family? Where is she from? I think she only has Mr. Mason in her life as the closest relation. She's probably a terrific actress as her personality is so complex. I hope Mrs. Baxter makes it somehow. She has the sewing trade but seems like a lost soul. She lost something in life.

If you watched last night, I feel so bad for Edith. So bad. Three guys and all failed. Finally, she let Mary know what she is. Finally, but look at the cost to her. To me, this series is more a women's story. How much English society changed. The advances in women's rights. The changes in women working. My least liked character is Lord Grantham. I thought he was going to die this series. I thought that would through everyone into turmoil and probably force the sale on the property. That would have been an interesting twist.

The Storyteller
2-22-16, 2:28pm
I enjoy Downton Abbey a great deal, as a period piece, with two caveats...

1. It's a bit melodramatic at times, with a very soap opera vibe to it. I wonder sometimes if it were a similar program set in today's America many of us would find it particularly appealing. For me it reminds me of Remains of the Day, one of my favorite films ever, so that is at least part of the appeal. But there isn't a week goes by that I don't roll my eyes at least once or twice.

2. Reading Richard Dawkins' latest biography I was a little taken aback when he casually mentioned it was very anachronistic, mostly because he's Brit and very much comes from the elite intellectual class, and because it is something I had found, as well, but had never heard anyone else mention. I do wish he had expanded on his thoughts beyond a casual throw away line.

I do love it in spite of its flaws, but am curious if others have felt the same way.

The Storyteller
2-22-16, 2:32pm
Is Lady Mary still playing "I love him, I love him not" with any number of men? That got old for me about season 2.

Right up to the end, but finally throws in the towel.

iris lilies
2-22-16, 4:10pm
I enjoy Downton Abbey a great deal, as a period piece, with two caveats...

1. It's a bit melodramatic at times, with a very soap opera vibe to it. I wonder sometimes if it were a similar program set in today's America many of us would find it particularly appealing. For me it reminds me of Remains of the Day, one of my favorite films ever, so that is at least part of the appeal. But there isn't a week goes by that I don't roll my eyes at least once or twice.

2. Reading Richard Dawkins' latest biography I was a little taken aback when he casually mentioned it was very anachronistic, mostly because he's Brit and very much comes from the elite intellectual class, and because it is something I had found, as well, but had never heard anyone else mention. I do wish he had expanded on his thoughts beyond a casual throw away line.

I do love it in spite of its flaws, but am curious if others have felt the same way.

I think if Richard Dawkins posted his concerns about anachronistic errors on the IMDB board, he would be castigated.

Supposedly everything is perfectly researched and accurate for that period, hmmm, that is according to the rabid fans. Once I posted there two instances of language use that rubbed me the wrong way, they seemed to be contemporary, and I was strongly reminded that DA has all sorts of advisors on the set to keep them from making those errors. So now I know that back in 1915 they said "I have too much on my plate" meaning " I have too much to do" just like we do now. Ok, if they say so.

I continue to think that DA is not top notch in plotting or in characterization, but we are so dazzled by the costumes and sets that we dont see that. DA is not based on a beloved piece of British literature, it is created for tv by Julian Fellowes and as such it is a pastiche of concepts from British aristocratic life.

Justified, about hillbillies, the other end of the social spectrum, is a better production all around.

CathyA
2-22-16, 4:23pm
More SPOILER ALERT....AS USUAL.............

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I felt sorry for Edith too, but I wonder if the guy will forgive her and come back. Wasn't Lady Mary's wedding a bit abrupt? (I mean the whole relationship). And I think they turned Mr. Carson into a jerk, just so he could see the errors in his ways at the end (which is just in two weeks). I'm still wondering how Lord Grantham can eat normally. haha
Funny that Mr. Spratt is actually the columnist they thought was "Miss Jones."
I love Mrs. Patmore.
I knew Mr. Barrow was leading up to a suicide attempt.
Hasn't Branson gained a lot of weight since he was on the show earlier?
And Violet is looking younger. What will we ever do without Maggie Smith??

And wasn't Violet on a cruise somewhere, yet could make it back in like a day?
I love the way they phrase everything. And I love the photography. And I love the music at the beginning. It's rich, yet very sad to me.

iris lilies
2-22-16, 4:40pm
.......spoiler......"???

Someone please tell me why Maggie Smith isn't on this show now. I haven't watched this last season but I wonder if this actresse threw in the towel like so many before her.

The Storyteller
2-22-16, 5:38pm
I think if Richard Dawkins posted his concerns about anachronistic errors on the IMDB board, he would be castigated.

Supposedly everything is perfectly researched and accurate for that period, hmmm, that is according to the rabid fans.

Yes, an aristocratic family finds out they have a gay man on the staff in 1920s England and everyone is just peachy keen about it. Including the serving staff. While Alan Turing, a national hero (though secretly so), was given the option of either chemical castration or 2 years in prison in the 1950s.

To name just one of many examples.

The Storyteller
2-22-16, 5:43pm
And Justified was an outstanding series. Great until the last season, which was written and filmed after adviser and inspiration for the show Elmore Leonard had passed away.

iris lilies
2-22-16, 11:26pm
And Justified was an outstanding series. Great until the last season, which was written and filmed after adviser and inspiration for the show Elmore Leonard had passed away.
Oh no! The last season wound up as it should with Raylon besting Boyd
Crowder. It was the season prior, the one with the Florida crackers, that was awful.

As as an aside, I just love Dickey and Dewey. They were more fun than perForming monkeys.

freshstart
2-23-16, 12:56am
I think there are 6 seasons, I am 2 behind and glad to have found them all in one place. But so much goes on on this show, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to start at the beginning because of my memory, grrr.

The Storyteller
2-23-16, 6:57pm
Oh no! The last season wound up as it should with Raylon besting Boyd
Crowder. It was the season prior, the one with the Florida crackers, that was awful.

As as an aside, I just love Dickey and Dewey. They were more fun than perForming monkeys.

Okay. Well, I can say I did enjoy seeing Seth Bullock finally have a high noon moment and outdraw a gunslinger in the street, instead of just beating the hell out of him.

Lainey
3-6-16, 5:27pm
Finale tonight!

catherine
3-6-16, 6:19pm
I did not read any of this thread so I wouldn't run into spoilers, but just want to say that since we got our Amazon Fire stick we have been enjoying Downton Abbey. I had never been able to see it before. So we're only on Season 2!

But we LOVE it! I really wish my MIL were alive because this is right up her alley.

Tenngal
3-7-16, 9:03am
last night's final episode was great. Edith got her happy ending. Anna and Bates, their baby. Mary is expecting. Lots of potential romances going on downstairs.
What will I do now that it is gone?

IshbelRobertson
3-7-16, 10:32am
The new ITV (not BBC) series of Anthony Trollope's novel from the Barsetshire Chronicles called Dr Thorne'? First episode last night was quite good and I shall try to watch it next week.

There are a few authors I find difficult to love, like Trollope, Dickens and Sir Walter Scott.... But, All their novels seem to translate well to TV. Dr Thorne has been adapted by the writer of DA, Sir Julian Fellowes.

nswef
3-7-16, 10:55am
That is exciting news. I'll look for it. I was happy with the endings. Kept waiting for something awful to happen and was pleased it all tied up neatly.

iris lilies
3-7-16, 11:35am
That is exciting news. I'll look for it. I was happy with the endings. Kept waiting for something awful to happen and was pleased it all tied up neatly.
Since it wasnt based on a novel, it was Fellowes' own work, he could end it however he liked. The plotting was essentially pablum anyway.

rodeosweetheart
3-7-16, 12:28pm
I actually did part of my dissertation on Trollope. There is never enough Trollope, in my opinion!

iris lilies
3-7-16, 1:44pm
I actually did part of my dissertation on Trollope. There is never enough Trollope, in my opinion!

I finally picked up Small House at Allingron from the library last week.

I have liked the Trollope that Ive read. I think the last one was Miss Mackenzie.