PDA

View Full Version : Where do you hide stuff?

Kathy WI
1-18-11, 10:43pm
I'm not going to break into your house; just wondering if anybody had any interesting or funny hiding places where you keep things you don't want your kids/spouse/roommate to get into. I thought of this the other day when my son asked, "What happened to that half package of leftover chocolate chips from when we made those brownies?" I like to have them around as my secret chocolate stash. I keep them in an old baking powder can, right behind the real baking powder can in the pantry.

When my son was younger, he was afraid to go in the basement because of spiders, so it was a good hiding place for Christmas and birthday presents. Now that he's not afraid of the basement anymore, we hide presents in a broken clothes dryer down there.

H-work
1-18-11, 10:49pm
My husband found my chocolate stash...only, it was only my decoy stash, not my real stash ;)

redfox
1-18-11, 10:51pm
I don't hide things... I just have those long term storage places for like the bottom drawer in my dresser, and pretty much my entire textile studio!

iris lily
1-18-11, 11:29pm
We re-built the inside of this house and DH made a couple of hidey holes in the attic where we could potentially hide thngs. I don't think there's anything in those places now, but for years we hit several sets of sterling there.

Right now I put my one remaining sterling set on top of the kitchen cabinets. They are very tall and they have crown molding that juts out and over, so you can't tell there is something there.

I put my rings in just the place people tell you the burglers look (hint: it's cold there.). oh well, ha ha.

I do not know where DH stores his chocolate stash and I am sad for that.

Tiam
1-18-11, 11:46pm
Years ago, when I was in a bad relationship, I had to hide money from my addicted husband. I had to get pretty clever. We were quite poor, probably didn't even have bank accounts. I had to find ways to hide money so I could do things like pay the electricity bill. I had to get pretty creative because the usual spots just didn't work.

maribeth
1-19-11, 12:30am
I have probably told this story on the old forums, but...

DH cut a hole in the pages of a random book he found in the alley, to hold extra credit cards, then shelved it among the other books. TWICE now, a party guest has been perusing the bookshelf and has chosen that book, out of all the fascinating books in our library, to pick up and flip through!

herbgeek
1-19-11, 6:59am
I have found that if I don't want my spouse to eat a particular food, I will just cover it with foil. I joke with him that it puts a Faraday cage over the item, so he can no longer see its existence.

As for hiding money, I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya. ;)

Fawn
1-19-11, 7:55am
The Christmas gifts used to be hidden the the built in shelving in the basement that was in the dark corner behind the water heater. Not even the cats go back there. Now I just put them in my closet in a paper bag that has been stapled shut and has my secret mark on it, so I can tell if it has been opened.

The protien bar stash (hey, those things are a dollar a piece and my teenage son can eat 4-5 at a sitting.....right before dinner :~)) is in my closet, behind the shelving for the shoes and baskets.

The cash.....well, my best friend knows where it is, so if I die unexpectedly, it won't end up being given to Goodwill still hidden. That happened to one of my patients. When he died, the bank manager came in to his very modest apartment and threw everything away. Including the can of loose tobacco that held a roll of $20s two inches thick. (What happened to our shocked emoticon?)

bke
1-19-11, 8:06am
Once or twice I may have hidden chocolate in a dresser drawer... Only once or twice.

I knew a woman who hid money from her husband by putting it in a tampon box in the bathroom.

goldensmom
1-19-11, 8:11am
I do not have intentional hiding places but I do put things places then forget where I put them, does that count? I keep my husbands dress socks in my underwear drawer so don't get 'lost'. I then get the socks out of my drawer and stick them in his dress shoes when needed. Normally I would say that is hiding his socks from him but he doesn't care where they are kept so maybe that doesn't count.

Jonathan
1-19-11, 8:34am
In piles on the floor. My organizational style is "everything out", so I have to be able to see everything or I lose it. Of course, some of the piles on my desk are compressing down to coal... :|(

My wife has a trunk with memorabilia and whatnot in it she keeps locked with a padlock. I have the combination if needed, but since I can't see in the box, it holds nothing of interest to me. :cool:

Mrs-M
1-19-11, 10:32am
What a hoot this thread is!!! ROTFLMAO! I wish I had a hiding place to share...

lucy
1-19-11, 11:02am
When my children were younger and nosier, I used to hide Christmas baking in a container in the freezer labeled "cabbage rolls". I also hid their Christmas gifts in a box in the basement labeled 'Maternity Clothes'. Later, when I'd given away all my maternity clothes, I just told them that they couldn't go in my bedroom after about October.

Rosemary
1-19-11, 11:14am
I don't need to hide anything from DH. He can't seem to locate things even when they are right in front of him. My friend refers to this as "Man's Disease."

loosechickens
1-19-11, 11:57am
I'm another one who would never need to hide anything from my sweetie, since he can't see it when it's right in front of him.

Because we live a nomadic life, we often have a lot more cash than most people keep around, and we keep that in several places in the motorhome that I think even a good ransacking wouldn't uncover, but we HAVE taken the precaution of revealing those places to a couple of friends and our kids, so that if we are killed in a big motorhome crash or something, somebody can retrieve that stuff before the motorhome goes off to the junkyard. In case of fire, we're just out of luck.

I've seldom had to hide chocolate, but I have been known to rub Nutella up the insides of the jar so that it looks more full, to hide how much my predations have eaten, one spoonful at a time, until I could get another jar.......It's reached the point where I just can't have Nutella in the house, because it calls to me like a bottle of whiskey does to an alcoholic.......

Bastelmutti
1-19-11, 12:36pm
Book "safe" - except the keys in there are so jumbled, it would take a very determined person to monetize that discovery!

Presents - on top of the wardrobe, but DD is getting pretty tall, so I might have to find a new place.

Chocolate - no hiding! I'm even sharing my Xmas toffee with the others. Maybe I won't gain as much weight this year?

maribeth
1-19-11, 12:54pm
I don't need to hide anything from DH. He can't seem to locate things even when they are right in front of him. My friend refers to this as "Man's Disease."

Seriously. Putting something away where it belongs counts as "hiding it" according to DH. Just today, he accused me of having hidden the clean towels away in the linen closet. You know, where no one would ever think to look.

Spartana
1-19-11, 1:13pm
I don't really cook so I keep the stove/oven unplugged and the gas turned off all the time. So I hide some extra emergency money and credit cards inside an area of the oven that most people wouldn't look and can't see unless you look. I usually keep a few thousand dollars there. My only fear is that one day I'll actually decide to cook something and turn on the oven forgetting about the money :-)! I also hide a handgun (.357 magnum revolver) in with some dog toys and stuff right inside my front entrance up high (away fron the dogs). No one would know it's there but it's easy for me to see (and get too) when I enter my house. A "hidden in plain view" kind of thing. Of course one day you may read about my death in a "dog shoots owner" kind of thing if I forget and give them my gun instead of their toys :-)!

bae
1-19-11, 1:26pm
I have a BatCave(TM). Well, really it's more of a raccoon/mink cave.

melissalw
1-19-11, 2:39pm
From my partner? In the closet. From myself? In the garage. *cringes* It's got a bit out of hand at this point...

Kathy WI
1-19-11, 3:52pm
The Nutella...I forgot about that. When we have it, it hides behind the flour bin or my son would eat it all.

The stories about husband who don't know where things are (my husband included) reminds me of a stand-up routine by Rosanne Barr. She said, "How come husbands never know where anything is? 'Hey Rosie, we got any Cheetos left?' Like he can't pick up that sofa cushion and look for himself."

Hattie
1-19-11, 5:23pm
reminds me of a stand-up routine by Rosanne Barr. She said, "How come husbands never know where anything is? 'Hey Rosie, we got any Cheetos left?' Like he can't pick up that sofa cushion and look for himself."

ROTFL....I am loving this thread. :laff:

Life_is_Simple
1-19-11, 6:00pm
I wanted to start this thread last summer, but I thought we would be telling burglars where to look.

My bf got robbed last year. The places where they looked: In the clothing dresser, however they didn't look in the right drawer because he did have something in one of them (now that I asked him, he didn't remember what). They looked at the head of his bed, under the mattress, which is where some people put a gun. On the night-stand. Other than that, his perps were quick and were only interested in the TV and laptop that were in sight.

rosarugosa
1-19-11, 7:49pm
I've got another one of those husbands - if it isn't on the kitchen table, it's "hidden!"

SiouzQ.
1-19-11, 7:55pm
Once long, long ago (way back in the late '70's) on my first trip to England after high school, I smuggled a joint through customs by hiding it in a tampon applicator...half was smoked in a hotel in London, the other half was enjoyed while walking through a very small village's commons area. Man, I shudder to think now, but what if I had been caught ?????!!!! I was traveling with my friend and her little sister and mother...what a foolish teenager I was!

loosechickens
1-19-11, 9:22pm
My sweetie calls it either "male refrigerator blindness" when he can't find something in the fridge, or for other things, the "lack of a utero homing device"......but I swear, he can actually be looking right AT something and not be able to "find it".

I thought it was just him.....is it really that prevalent?????

kib
1-19-11, 11:33pm
One of the pieces of furniture I built has a secret compartment in it. I don't hide anything from DH, it's a pure emergency cash stash. This house is nearly 100 years old and has a couple of natural odd hidey holes, too.

SoSimple
1-19-11, 11:39pm
Seeing as I'm doing this road warrior thing, if I want to hide anything from DH it stays in the hotel room. If I have to bring it home it stays in my case (which is in a permanent state of half-packed or half-unpacked, depending on what day of the week it is).

iris lily
1-20-11, 12:03am
Peanut butter is my Nutell and I can't even buy it.

Peanuts--close to peanut butter, I ask DH to hide and then, when I need a few peanuts for cooking or whatever, I ask him to retrieve the peanut jar. For a long time he hid them in the downstairs shower which we never use, where we store recycling containers. But one day one of the resuce dogs poked around there and lead me to the peanuts. Good dog! NOw DH has found another place for the peanut jar.

Gina
1-20-11, 1:24am
That's funny. I've heard of dogs sniffing for drugs, but not for peanuts. Guess they didn't get paid much. Har, har.

I have an old chest that has a hidden compartment. I used to use that for extra cash.

I don't really like the idea of hiding things in the house however, but I understand it, especially for certain foods. The fear for me would be forgetting about something really valuable, and then it being 'lost' forever. Or worse - an older friend stashed $200 in an envelope and accidentally tossed it when going through her files. She did like her wine.... >8)

Float On
1-20-11, 11:33am
I can hide things in plain sight in the kitchen cabinet with the pots and pans - my husband avoids that cabinet or anything that could be used for cooking.

maribeth
1-20-11, 12:57pm
Oh, and my dad once found $800 he had forgotten about in one of the film canisters used to store the old school home movie reels. He used it to buy a VCR! (That tells you how long ago it was, that VCRs were so new that they still cost several hundred dollars.)

Tweety
1-20-11, 6:55pm
When my kids were little I would hide tins of Christmas cookies in the bottom of the dirty clothes hamper. Definitely the very last place they ever looked into!

Miss Cellane
1-21-11, 11:56am
Back in college, with a roommate who liked to snoop around my things a little too much, I'd hide very small things inside a rolled up pair of socks that I almost never wore. Other things were tucked down behind books in my bookcase (because she never cracked open a book, as far as I could see).

In one apartment, I hid a spare key by duct taping it to the closer mechanism on the storm door. Did such a good job that a year later when I went to check on it, I couldn't find it for several minutes.

Now I live alone and don't have to hide much of anything. Except the catnip, which is sealed in a glass jar in a high cabinet. And even then the cat will sit on the floor under the cabinet and meow pitifully.

My mom loved chocolate. About a year after she died, I was back home for the holidays and Dad asked me to get out one of the good tablecloths for Christmas dinner. Deep in the buffet drawers was a small stash of Snickers bars. Apparently my younger siblings still at home did not respect Mom's chocolate the way I did (I never would have dreamt of either looking for her chocolate or taking any of it without being offered), and Mom had been forced to find hiding places for it. Dad said that he had found a tin box of chocolate behind the detergent in the laundry room, and a few bars in her dresser.

Mrs-M
1-21-11, 12:03pm
I love these stories so much!!!

iris lily
1-22-11, 12:26pm
My mother, in her phase of Alzheimer's disease, wanted to have cash around. So we gave her $1,000 which she hide around the place and promptly forgot about.

When she moved to the nursing home I told my brother that he could keep any cash he found around her house. I never did hear how much it was and I only hope she didn't have more than $1,000. I figured: he's gotta do the work to find it, let him keep it.

RosieTR
1-23-11, 12:36am
Once or twice I may have hidden chocolate in a dresser drawer... Only once or twice.

I knew a woman who hid money from her husband by putting it in a tampon box in the bathroom.

That's where I used to hide money too-my brother was a drug addict and thief. I recently cleaned out my bathroom drawer and found $68 and my class ring. Apparently that's my "hiding" spot though DH knows that's where I often throw spare change. He rifles through it if he needs coffee money so it's not really hiding except the total amount from myself. An underwear drawer is also good for hiding from teen boys; not so much husbands :|(

kally
1-23-11, 1:52am
in our last apartment I hid my jewellry in an overhead chandelier type light. A piece of it unscrewed and I popped it in there. I am glad I didn't leave it there when we left.

Tiam
1-23-11, 2:02am
Well, like I said, I was desperate to not have my money found, so I finally did find a place after some frantic thinking. It was under the cabinet beneath the bathroom sink. In the place where the facing of the cabinet met the top of the cabinet INSIDE the cabinet cupboard, the two planks of wood came together at right angles. So, but getting down on my knees, and reaching up and inside to that tiny space between two pieces of wood, I could stash bills there. Money. I would push it half through the crack so half was hanging out, but it could only be seen if you were on your back with your head in the cupboard and really looking for it. Envelopes taped to the bottoms of shelves, drawers, and boxes worked too as well as creating hidden linings in coats or clothes. Not the pockets, but perhaps the hems or collars.

Hattie
1-23-11, 1:44pm
After Hubby's father died, the family donated his clothing to a local charity. A year or so later they remembered that the father had a gold bar hidden in one of the jackets that was donated. :0! To this day, Hubby often wonders who found that gold bar!!!

Moral of the story: If you're going to hide something - don't forget where you hid it! :~)

Greg44
2-2-11, 8:01pm
:0! My wife has to hide the chocolate chips from me...I like to steal the bag and keep it in the freezer to snack on -- then no chips when they decide to make the cookies!

Sometimes I can sniff them out, behind something in the kitchen or freezer...other times when they get ready to make cookies I have to hide my eyes!