PDA

View Full Version : Collecting waste plastic

razz
1-11-12, 9:35pm
Although I had read about the island of plastic in the Pacific Ocean, I had never really taken note of the amount of waste plastic in our lives.
Recently, with all the mild weather all the sideroads are exposed, no risk of poison ivy or critters and it is easy to see into the short grass and leafless shrubs. I noted how many plastic bottles were littering the gullies on each side of the road where I walk the dog. In my effort to reduce the amount of plastic litter, I started collecting the bottles during our recent walks. In just a couple of days, I have 2 large garbage bags full of plastic bottles! Holy smoke, there are so many and more to go.

If only people would realize that each bottle tossed out the car window makes a difference.

How many waste plastic bottles can you find in your neighbourhood?

Mrs-M
1-12-12, 2:36am
Yes, I too, am amazed at all the garbage and stuff I see when I'm out for my walk, specifically cans and bottles (both plastic and glass). I admire you for going the extra mile and collecting them along the way.

goldensmom
1-12-12, 6:31am
I will periodically walk our property line with a trash bag picking up trash and recycle and am amazed at what people through out on country roads (some thing really surprise me). Not to blame individuals only, I observed a trash truck dumping its front bin into the back while driving down the road and trash went flying all over the road. From my road clean up efforts, I've also collected and returned nearly $100 worth of soda and beer cans - a literal example of someone else's trash being my treasure.

shadowmoss
1-12-12, 9:40am
Here in Honduras it is especially bad as the local water is questionable and pretty much everyone drinks bottled water. The culture also has no issue with tossing trash wherever they are. I try somewhat to not use plastic and dispose of it properly, but there is also little organized recycling. It is truly sad to see this beautiful country so trashed.

Mrs-M
1-12-12, 10:19am
What I find the most sad and discerning, is that so many countries such as Honduras, having such poor quality water. Seems to me countries such as those should have the cleanest and purest water the world over.

shadowmoss
1-13-12, 12:32pm
Mrs. M: the high concentration of people in the cities, questionable sanitation, lead pipes all lead to the questionable condition of the water. I use a water filter. However, where I work (US installation) the issue is lead in the water and I'm fairly sure my filter doesn't take that out.

Greg44
1-13-12, 1:03pm
We don't have a lot of road way trash in Oregon. The state is pretty good about keeping it picked up. We have also had a bottle/can recycle program of probably 30 years. So that cans and bottles that do get tossed are picked up by others (like myself when running) and redeemed for cash.

When we travel to another state that doesn't have a soda bottle/can program, it just makes me cringe to throw them in the garbage can when they could easily be recycled.

Now fast food trash is a whole different story. I am amazed how people just toss their fast food bags/cups along the road or just open their door in the FF parking lot and drop it there. Such pigs.