PDA

View Full Version : What's a new vegetable or new variety you are going to try this year?

Amaranth
1-15-12, 9:22pm
I like to try a few new things each year. There are so many new interesting varieties this year that I am having trouble narrowing things down to 20, let alone a reasonable 5 or so.

Definitely I want to try a new tomato that's less than 2 feet high, but at least a dozen of those look interesting.

Also want to try two new winter squash, perhaps an Oregon one and an Asian one.

What's a new vegetable or new variety you are going to try this year?

razz
1-15-12, 9:35pm
I haven't looked at the seed catalogues yet. I am waiting for the heritage listing to come out before I make any decisions.
Tell me about the tomato please. Would it work for a large pot?

jania
1-16-12, 9:07am
I've got several new things to try this year.

Black Cherry Tomato
Mexican Sour Gherkin
New Zealand Spinach
Red Malabar Spinach (this and the above spinach are not true spinach but suppose to do well in the heat)
Csikos Botermo (tomato)

Maxamillion
1-16-12, 9:41pm
I've got several things I want to try but am going to have to narrow down my list as I don't have that much space! I definitely will be trying an heirloom tomato variety. So far the four I've got it narrowed down to are yellow pear, black krim, black pineapple, and snowberry. A few other things I'm thinking of are honeydew melon (pretty sure on this one), wonderberry, passionfruit, cassabanana, and ground cherries.

puglogic
1-17-12, 10:43am
Maxamillion, I grew Black Krim last year and they were amazing. I'm thinking of trying Paul Robeson this year.

daisy
1-17-12, 11:18am
After promising myself I would only use my leftover and saved seeds, I've already bought seeds for chervil, Armenian cucumber, Texas hill country okra and Black Giant tomatoes. Oops!

Maxamillion, I grew yellow pear, black krim and black pineapple tomatoes last year. Of those, I would say black krim was my hands-down favorite, although it had performed poorly for me the year before. The yellow pear was extremely prolific, but it is a very mild tomato (my DH loved it for that reason). Black pineapple was very good, but I only had 4 tomatoes off of it.

CathyA
1-17-12, 11:18am
I'm pretty stuck in my ways, but I want to try a different paste tomato. I've been growing Romas for many years, but I'd like to try a different variety. I gave up on heirlooms.....they just seem too fragile where I live.
Although I guess Rutgers tomato is considered an heirloom, which is the only tomato I grow now, besides the paste ones and some cherries.
I've settled into being happy with pole beans of Kentucky Blue and Blue Lake. I tried some Roma pole beans last year, but the weather was so bad, they didn't grow any beans at all.
I'd like to grow more lettuces in containers too. And I'm soooo happy with Waltham butternut squash, I really don't want to try any others.

uji
1-17-12, 12:51pm
We've had good luck with Amish Paste tomatoes. Plus they're open-polinated.

MaryHu
2-22-12, 4:34pm
I'm going to try Indian Woman Yellow (http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_128_160&products_id=512) dry beans. We have a short growing season and they are supposed to ripen in only 60 days. I've grown Jacob's Cattle Beans the last couple of years and they take too long. I end up having to pull the plants and hang them in the garage to finish ripening. This makes a mess and led to an even bigger mess last year when hubby forgot that the rope they were hanging on was looped around the garage door opener bar. He tried to use the garage door opener and brought down the shelves at the back of the garage that the rope was also attached to. :laff:
If anyone else has tried this bean I'd love to hear how they performed and how you liked the dry beans.

Jemima
2-22-12, 8:14pm
I'm trying Claytonia, Early Mibuna Asian Mustard Green, Giant Winter Spinach, Oregon Sugar Pod Pea, and Scarlet Runner Bean. All are from Annie's Heirloom Seeds.

Will also be getting some bedding plants in a month or so including ordinary cabbage, which I've never grown before.

puglogic
2-22-12, 9:53pm
I'm going to try Indian Woman Yellow (http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_128_160&products_id=512) dry beans.

I'm going to try this one this year as well. I lost all my Jacob's Cattle last year to an early frost :(

Maxamillion
2-26-12, 10:51pm
I got my heirloom seeds in from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds this week! =D So I'll be planting black krim tomatoes, black pineapple tomatoes, ground cherries, and a kind-of honeydew melon called Thai golden round, that's orange with yellow stripes on the outside and green inside. They also sent me a free packet of red romaine lettuce. I want to plant sunflowers too this year.

Tiam
2-28-12, 2:11am
An old one to me, but one I've failed with here in the NW. Sweet Peas.