PDA

View Full Version : Very good book

domestic goddess
1-17-12, 3:34pm
I just finished a book I can hardly recommend enough: Falling Upward by Richard Rohr.
I want to spend some time mulling it over, and then it will be a definite re-read. It deals with spirituality in the two halves of our lives. Especially now that I am in the second half of my life, this helped to answer some questions I've had about some self-professed Christians who seem to be filled with hate, rather than love, judgement rather than acceptance, and dissatisfaction with everything in their lives. This isn't the Christ I know, and wasn't one I was sure I wanted to know. Learning about the two halves of a spiritual life and the tasks that one must perform in each, really made me say "Oh, yeah." numerous times while I was reading it.
I don't often recommend books because I don't know many people who read the same kind of books I do, but I just couldn't resist with this book, in this forum.

catherine
1-17-12, 3:54pm
I LOVE that book. In fact, I went to see Rohr give a talk on it. Great recommendation.

If you like that book, definitely read The Naked Now.

Rohr is awesome.

domestic goddess
1-17-12, 4:22pm
I found Rohr a fantastic author, not only in terms of his content, but also in terms of his style. He is down-to-earth, but never condescending. While not laugh-out-loud funny, he infuses his work with a subtle humor. I have a couple more of his books, and can't wait to read them.

Molly
1-19-12, 9:24am
Thanks for the recommendation. Can't wait to read it!