PDA

View Full Version : Posting Threads on Facebook

ljevtich
1-18-12, 3:23am
Hi all,
Does everyone here realize that Financial Integrity is on Facebook and is putting these forum posts on as links that anyone can see?

I did a test with my DH to go to the Facebook of Financial Integrity, and without even liking the page, click on the link that went directly to these 2012 Financial Goals thread. He could read this thread without registering. He could also check the View Profile, View Forum Posts, and visit my home page.

Doesn't that seem a little weird? So that means that anyone outside of the community, anyone at all, can go through Facebook and read our stuff. I do not mind sharing with a community, but again, doesn't it seem weird to you?

While I realize that my name, my website, and the threads I write and post to are searched and found, people actually have to KNOW how to spell my last name! Yet if all they have to do is go onto a thread (where they do not even have to register for a forum!) and thereby find me.

I do manage to stay under the radar more often than not; I just want to continue to stay that way.

Edited to add: He could not PM me or email me however, because he would have to register for the forums first. So at least there is that.

bae
1-18-12, 4:35am
Weird, and producing rather a stifling effect on future posts. Cheers.

goldensmom
1-18-12, 6:52am
‘Tis true. Posts, community, member list and profiles are all public. You have to be registered to post but all else is public and accessible through FI face book page.

Rosemary
1-18-12, 7:52am
Are there plans to correct this? It will affect my membership status.

Alan
1-18-12, 8:02am
To be fair, the facebook page just provides a link to here. Anyone coming here for the first time, whether from facebook, google or by accident, is able to view & read all forums which have been granted guest privileges. I believe that includes everything except the 'General Information' section, which confuses me.

fidgiegirl
1-18-12, 8:14am
But when did we ever give our names when we registered? I just searched in the forum search bar by my own last name and got no hits. So I fail to see how the connection would be made, except maybe in your case Laura, because you have your name (unless it's a pseudonym?) right in your signature and as part of your username. I have made a conscious decision to have my own image as my avatar, but I many have not . . . I am just not sure how the random Facebooking public, who is basically just the Internet public in general, would make a connection to who are individuals . . .

FI did make mention of this a while back. I guess I knew they were linking over to the forums, but it doesn't really bother me. I see it as a way to get more people on board.

ETA: It's just a link over here, as alan pointed out. We're already public with or without FB. And if we weren't public, and no one can find us and join, we would die. How would any of us even be here if we hadn't at some point accessed the forums, been able to read them, and determined that this was a place we'd like to participate in? We were just having a lengthy discussion about how to recruit and retain new members. To do that, we have to be found and people have to know we are here . . .

herbgeek
1-18-12, 8:24am
That's why I changed from using my real name as my handle to a fanciful one. Not that I'm ashamed of anything I post, I just don't want random people to be able to see what I consider a private conversation among friends.

Alan
1-18-12, 8:58am
It's ironic that this subject comes up today, when some sites such as Wikipedia have gone dark and Google places a black box over it's logo to protest SOPA and PIPA legislation.

Perhaps this will prompt a timely discussion on privacy expectations in a public space and whether free expression is stifled by too much or too little latitude.

razz
1-18-12, 9:03am
I am not a Facebook participant but not concerned about this as I realized that the whole forum as mentioned above was publicly viewed and was advised that it was public from the outset, I believe. If you have a blog, it is public already.
Just out of curiousity, I typed 'razz' and googled to see what showed. Nothing beyond the explanation that is was some kind of poker showed up for the first several pages. No quick direct link to these forums.
FWIW, I came up with razz because we have raspberries and I used a short form not because I play poker.:-)

redfox
1-18-12, 11:12am
It's ironic that this subject comes up today, when some sites such as Wikipedia have gone dark and Google places a black box over it's logo to protest SOPA and PIPA legislation.

Perhaps this will prompt a timely discussion on privacy expectations in a public space and whether free expression is stifled by too much or too little latitude.

That would be a fantastic convo!

treehugger
1-18-12, 12:08pm
He could read this thread without registering. He could also check the View Profile, View Forum Posts, and visit my home page.

This was always my understanding about this forum, which means this access by un unregistered user doesn't really have anything to do with Facebook.

Kara

Spartana
1-18-12, 1:14pm
I also don't "do" facebook and have always hated that something I write online - either in a public forum or to someone in private via e-mail - can go out into cyber space and posted at another's web site or facebook page without my permission. To me it's a big invasion of privacy - and part of the reason I took down photos of me once I realized that they can be copied and posted anywhere by anyone in any context without my permission (although I'll put up a new avatar once I get around to it but won't be posting photos of myself here any longer - no more grundgy spartana covered in mud:-)!. But I realize that how it works in cyber space and that these forums are open to all to see - just as any other public forum, blog, etc... is - and that if I post here, then FI can place those posts in another online venue without my persmission whether I like it or not.

Just Googled "Spartana" and it's a very cute convertible two-seat mini off-road 4 x 4 vehicle made in Romania! Looks like an old Suzuki Samari convertible I once owned.

mtnlaurel
1-18-12, 1:41pm
I'm a conscientious objector to Facebook as well.... for the moment.
Just when I was considering an account, I got a Facebook Illuminati forward. :0!

I am creeped out by the lure of putting private info out on the web.... although I use this forum as a kitchen table often.

My unrelated gripe - I had a beef with a member that had a blog and would post 'provocateur' questions like 'How do you Make Homemade Laundry Detergent?' or something benign like that and get a ton of great answers.
Then one day I went to go check out their blog and they were posting ver batim what various members had posted as if they came up with it themselves.
It just kind of irked me.

I don't think that person is around anymore, it was yrs ago.

Not like we have to patent all of our little simplicity secrets as if our grandmothers didn't already know all of this stuff... but the cannibalism of information aspect of the web/ plagiarism is annoying.

I'm with The More the Merrier Crowd.
I found this forum in 2000 doing a search for YMOYL topics.

Spartana
1-18-12, 1:53pm
I'm a conscientious objector to Facebook as well.... for the moment.

My friends are always bugging me to join - saying that they have private accounts which don't show their "friends" or "photos" or "wall" - only other friends can see that stuff. Thats great for remaining anonymus from the general public but I really don't want ALL my friends - and especially unknown friends of my friends and anyone they are friends with - seeing what I post. Even worse, even if I'm not on facebook, I have no way to stop people from writing things about me, sending photos they may have of me, or talking about what I'm doing and sending it all out to cyberspace for all to see - using my real name. Drives me nuts! Hard to have a life with other people yet remain anonymus to the world anymore.

ljevtich
1-18-12, 2:08pm
To be fair, the facebook page just provides a link to here. Anyone coming here for the first time, whether from facebook, google or by accident, is able to view & read all forums which have been granted guest privileges. I believe that includes everything except the 'General Information' section, which confuses me.
Yup, I do not understand the general info either.

I guess why I am a little upset is because I went to the Facebook page of Financial Integrity and instead of making their own posts on the Facebook page, they had to "resort" to pulling forum threads. Plus, they were liking their own posts, a definite NO NO on Facebook making them look lame.

Put a link to the forums is fine like this (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/forum.php) and a random person coming in, checking out the forums and seeing what is going on is fine by me. But going to a specific thread, where people are talking about their life goals thinking that they are talking to their community and not to random people is where I have a problem.

I would rather see interesting new newsletter or articles on the Facebook page rather than forum posts or threads. YES it is more work, but it makes the Facebook page a separate entity, different from the simplelivingforum.net pages.

I know it is hard for forums like these to stay viable in today's web. Most people are on Facebook or other type social networks and companies, in order to reach more people, have to have a Facebook page.

But making sure there is something MORE for people, more information, more articles, more help for those struggling, is a better way to go. Regurgitating forum posts and threads is not.

ljevtich
1-18-12, 2:16pm
My unrelated gripe - I had a beef with a member that had a blog and would post 'provocateur' questions like 'How do you Make Homemade Laundry Detergent?' or something benign like that and get a ton of great answers.
Then one day I went to go check out their blog and they were posting ver batim what various members had posted as if they came up with it themselves.
It just kind of irked me.

I don't think that person is around anymore, it was yrs ago.

This is part of my gripe as well. Linking to threads that we have here instead of making new articles or posting articles from around the 'Net seems lame to me. In order to bring people in you need to have information. Quoting other people is fine (if they get permission) but most of all, making your own statements and maybe even putting the steps on the Facebook page, now that might just bring people in.

Spartana
1-18-12, 2:22pm
I don't really have a problem with the NRMF using links to these thread dissussions without permission because both FB and these forums are public and open to all without having to join (only to post). But, now that I know our conversations here aren't private between members (guess I always knew that even on the old boards) I will be more careful about what I post in the future - both for these boards and elsewhere. Being online now feels like we're on the worlds largest party-line telephone ever! And I'll act accordingly.

bae
1-18-12, 2:29pm
I agree Spartana. This to me, for whatever reason, feels like a breach of trust, and diminishes our community.

ljevtich
1-18-12, 2:54pm
I agree Spartana. This to me, for whatever reason, feels like a breach of trust, and diminishes our community.
Yes, this is why I mentioned it.

However, when I searched for me on Google, I did not see too many threads here on Simple Living Forums rather from other places. Including my old company which has been out of business for four years! I did see a couple of Facebook posts, only on the ones that everyone can see, not my posts on my Wall of Facebook.

Of course, I am pretty much an open book. I put our expenses out there so that others can see if they can live the lifestyle we do.

Will this change my postings, probably not.
Does it make me more aware of what is going on with the internet, yes.
If I made others more aware, then good.
And if Financial Integrity adds more articles and newspaper links rather than specific forum threads on their Facebook page, Priceless.

HKPassey
1-18-12, 2:55pm
But when did we ever give our names when we registered? I just searched in the forum search bar by my own last name and got no hits. So I fail to see how the connection would be made, except maybe in your case Laura, because you have your name (unless it's a pseudonym?) right in your signature and as part of your username. I have made a conscious decision to have my own image as my avatar, but I many have not . . . I am just not sure how the random Facebooking public, who is basically just the Internet public in general, would make a connection to who are individuals . . .

FI did make mention of this a while back. I guess I knew they were linking over to the forums, but it doesn't really bother me. I see it as a way to get more people on board.

ETA: It's just a link over here, as alan pointed out. We're already public with or without FB. And if we weren't public, and no one can find us and join, we would die. How would any of us even be here if we hadn't at some point accessed the forums, been able to read them, and determined that this was a place we'd like to participate in? We were just having a lengthy discussion about how to recruit and retain new members. To do that, we have to be found and people have to know we are here . . .

Thanks for those points, Fidgiegirl. You've hit on the reasoning behind the links: the community needs to grow to survive, and publicizing it is the only way it's going to grow, especially after having to migrate to a new site a year ago.

As someone who's been seeing things I wrote on (supposedly restricted) forums over a decade ago popping up in search engines now, I'm all too aware that a) nothing is private once it's online and b) once there, nothing ever dies. I do apologize if that viewpoint caused me to make some assumptions I shouldn't have. I absolutely didn't mean to freak anybody out.

So, where do we go from here? Recognizing that the forums are not and never have been private, how do we balance between publicizing and growing the community on the one hand, and keeping people comfortable on the other? Who should decide what, if anything, gets used for publicity? That sounds like it might be an excellent job for a volunteer from SLF, perhaps someone who would like to contribute by volunteering but doesn't feel like taking on full-on moderation? Or the SLF representative/NRM board member position?

Here's some information - in no particular order - for consideration as this discussion goes forward:

The forums are publicly viewable to anyone who finds them, with or without registration

Forum posts are visible to search engines and eventually will be found and come up in search results

Individual member's real names/identities are only visible to visitors and/or search engines if the member chooses to use their real name as their user name

Email addresses used to register for any forum or other public posting site can be found and linked to your identity on that and other sites by search engines

User names can be changed if needed for additional privacy

NRM does not and will subscribe to any Facebook "apps" that will create background links to the forums or users (we're a bit leery of Facebook ourselves)

Facebook has many (sometimes sneaky) apps that can be chosen by individual users that create unwanted links in the background. These are beyond our control, as they have nothing to do with the FI Facebook page, only with individual user choices

vBulletin could at any time choose to incorporate some dazzling new Facebook tool that will change the whole game, whether we like it or not

NRM intends to post only links to discussion threads, not the content of discussions or individual comments

NRM will not post any individual's comments anywhere without prior consent, nor without attribution (unless requested)

The Terms of Use and Terms of Service do specify that this is a public forum, and that members consent to materials being used to publicize the site - but we certainly don't want to abuse that in any way, either

The activity one member pointed out, where a user was "lifting" material to post to their own blog as their own, is a violation of the TOU, and the community can and should address any such brought to moderators' attention
NRM wants to support the will of the community - but we need more active participation in decision-making in order to do that

My own philosophy has always been to view posting online as the equivalent of your momma's admonition to be sure you're always wearing nice underwear... just in case.

So, anybody up for taking on a publicity liaison role? Or have any thoughts on how to strike this balance?

HKPassey
1-18-12, 3:17pm
And if Financial Integrity adds more articles and newspaper links rather than specific forum threads on their Facebook page, Priceless.

Good point. NRM's primary venue for posting articles and newspaper links is the wiki site: we try very hard to make the Facebook page an additional resource with unique content, not just an echo of the wiki. The primary purpose of the Facebook page is to be an entry point to attract people to view the rich content on the two sites - the wiki and the forums - rather than to be a stand-alone resource. And please remember, we're almost entirely volunteer, so coming up with a lot of new content for FB, and monitor the page, is a stretch. We'd absolutely love to have more contributors post more meaty items to the FB page, if anyone would like to help. ;)

Oh, and the subject of "liking" ourselves: I'm afraid that's my fault. Business and non-profit pages still have to be created by a "person." I "liked" the page under my personal account so I could share the content with my own friends, but apparently can't separate my personal identity from the page's when doing so. It's frustrating, as it prevents any of us on the admin team from sharing NRM's FB content with our own friends without apparent self-admiration. Unfortunately, we're learning as we're going on this one!

loosechickens
1-18-12, 4:12pm
I've always taken the position that anything and everything that I say on the internet is probably going to turn up somewhere, be seen by anyone or everyone, and so I just follow the practice of not saying anything I wouldn't say openly in real life.

I've never changed my user name over the years, and that user name has been used in lots of areas, including ones where it's been linked to my "real" name. Since I've never posted anything that I wouldn't say openly, that isn't a worry.

If one is especially worried about the privacy issue, choose a user name far away from anything connected to your real life, do not post details of your life that could identify you, and hope for the best. But never assume that there is any privacy, because there isn't. People can go on the web and see how much your house cost, whether you've ever been arrested, and lots of stuff far more "private" than a web posting.

I look at the internet the way people who used to live in small towns lived their lives, with the expectation and the sure knowledge that ANYTHING I do or say will be available to all, to look over and judge, probably forever. Not all that much of a problem to me...

ljevtich
1-19-12, 3:27am
Oh, and the subject of "liking" ourselves: I'm afraid that's my fault. Business and non-profit pages still have to be created by a "person." I "liked" the page under my personal account so I could share the content with my own friends, but apparently can't separate my personal identity from the page's when doing so. It's frustrating, as it prevents any of us on the admin team from sharing NRM's FB content with our own friends without apparent self-admiration. Unfortunately, we're learning as we're going on this one!

Actually you can like yourself if you do it as a person (so as Passey) but what it means is that you have to log out of Facebook as FI and log in as Passey. Then do the likes, then log out. Tons of people do that with their own pages. It means a little extra work. I would also suggest getting folks on here (like I did) who are already on Facebook, to go to the page and like it.

I am not worried about the privacy issue. I was more concerned with the lameness issue. The pulling of threads out of the forums and posting as something to bring people in. But those that are on Facebook are looking for quick reads, tidbits of information or cool saying. Pictures of funny things or quotes. At least that is what I am seeing right now. You know, T-shirt or bumper sticker sayings. Heck, we have a good one: Your Money or Your Life. You just have to market it.

lhamo
1-19-12, 4:16am
Laura, I disagree that everyone on Facebook is looking for quick, pithy, slogan type stuff. I use Facebook quite a bit both personally and professionally, and I do a lot of linking to relevant academic and social science-y stuff that both my personal circles (which include several friends from anthropology grad school days) and my professional networks (made up largely of people in international education/cultural exchange and former grantees) end up discussing at some length. It might not be what the bulk of Facebook users are doing, but like these forums Facebook is a tool that can be used in many different ways.

My identity is probably getting less and less hidden with every post, as anyone who knows me and my personal/professional background could figure out in about .5 seconds who I am based on things I have made public here. But I do like the illusion of anonymity posting under lhamo and not my legal name gives me. I am lhamo, FWIW -- that is the name I go by in Tibetan, which is one of the languages I use professionally (see, another hint!) I probably won't ever link to or like to the NRM page on facebook because that would put evidence of my real identity out there for people to make the link who it might not be obvious to otherwise. But I don't object to NRM trying to use Facebook as a way to promote their work or these forums.

I had my first big shock about the internet and anonymity way back in about 1993 or 1994, when I learned that things I had posted on a listserve about my research were being archived for all eternity and were open for anyone to view. Now that I live in China, I pretty much just assume that anything and anything I write on line is being dumped into some big datafile linked to my name (and it is probably just as likely that that datafile exists on USG servers as on Chinese government ones...). They're going to have a hard time piecing together a political conspiracy from my posts about low carb diets, saving money on taxis, and reseasoning cast iron, though!

lhamo

Mrs-M
1-19-12, 8:34am
HKPassey. Re: a SLF representative/NRM board member, why can't a current moderator/administrator accept the role?

iris lily
1-19-12, 11:02am
Ahh, Facebook. I registered fairly early, and not knowing what the goofballs would do with my reg info, I registered under a nom de plume. It allows me to lurk and
spy (!!! :) ) without being detected, so I think. Just this week I checked on status of this issue:

Can a member of Facebook tell I've been looking at their page?

Currently, it appears that the answer is No. While there are claims of software that CAN identify me as the lurker who checks a Facebook page, the experts say that's not true.
But it's only a matter of time before Facebook itself creates that function. While most people these days have their info available to "friends" only, there is still an astonishing amount of info out there. Spying, lurking, stalking--still easy to do on Facebook. ha ha.

ljevtich
1-19-12, 3:12pm
LC - Yes, you can do important stuff on Facebook, of course. And DH and I have lots of cool discussions with folks about all different sorts of stuff. It is just that I am also seeing this quick sound bites, similar to Twitter stuff, also on Facebook.

When you think about it, people tend to want to read short articles before diving into a longer or lengthy discussion about something important. That is why we have abstracts on scientific and other papers. Like 5 SuperFoods that keep you going strong, or 10 Ways to Save Hundreds Right Now!
Short, to the point, and relevant.

Actually taking a page from the Simple Dollar - look at his headlines to get an idea.

flowerseverywhere
1-19-12, 4:15pm
It's a great reminder to us all to be careful what you post, send in an e-mail, put on a blog etc. Who knows how many people here stretch the truth or create a whole persona altogether? The bottom line is most of us keep coming back for more ideas and support.

Maybe the family threads could use a bit more anonymity but that is of course up to each individual.

lhamo
1-19-12, 4:41pm
HKPassey. Re: a SLF representative/NRM board member, why can't a current moderator/administrator accept the role?

The mod/admin team is stretched too thin already. We are in the process of bringing on more mods. The idea is that hopefully one of them will be able to play this role.

lhamo

Spartana
1-21-12, 2:02pm
Ahh, Facebook. I registered fairly early, and not knowing what the goofballs would do with my reg info, I registered under a nom de plume. It allows me to lurk and
spy (!!! :) ) without being detected, so I think. Just this week I checked on status of this issue:

Can a member of Facebook tell I've been looking at their page?

Currently, it appears that the answer is No. While there are claims of software that CAN identify me as the lurker who checks a Facebook page, the experts say that's not true.
But it's only a matter of time before Facebook itself creates that function. While most people these days have their info available to "friends" only, there is still an astonishing amount of info out there. Spying, lurking, stalking--still easy to do on Facebook. ha ha.

I also have a nom de plume FB acct with an e-mail I only use for that and that is not connected to me in any way and occasionally "spy" on others on FB(and checked out the NRMF FB to see what this thread is about). It's scary how much you can find out about people who have even closed FB accts. As long as you know one friend of theirs who posts everything openly, then you can find out all sorts of things. Scary!

But as for this forum, and online in general, now that I understand how everything works in cyberspace (am really just learning and understanding all this stuff) I will still be as involved as I was before but i will reduce any private info of myself even though I don't really have a problem with anyone knowing about me HERE at this site - just don't really want it out there for the world to see. I know when I googled Spartana it came up with a link to my profile in this forum. So anyone who uses their real name - or a nickname that is familiar to friends and family - that can be googled and will allow anyone to read their posts. Although I think to see photos you have to be a logged on member. But i do think it's up to each person to decide how much anoymity they want - if they have blogs etc... then they probably want to share those things with not only everyone here, but people "out there" too. For those who want to remain hidden, that's very easy to do. So leaving thios forum open to all viewers in cyberspace is OK with me - but I am glad Laura pointed it out because it will make a difference in what I put online here. I will probably even go back thru some of my old posts where I put private info about a family member (were sis worked, what she does, etc...) and delete those parts of my posts to protect her identity. So even if I don't really care about mine so much (and I've posted enough info and photos of me here that it isn't that much of a big deal) I don't really want to post info about others people I know here.