PDA

View Full Version : Electric coffee grinders.

Mrs-M
1-19-11, 1:07pm
I just spoiled myself and ordered me a DeLonghi KG49 Coffee Bean Grinder! I have wanted one sooo bad for sooo long. I want to use it to grind cinnamon but have a question.

Do I have to breakup the cinnamon sticks into tiny pieces first before grinding, or can I simply put them in whole (long form) and grind them?

catherine
1-19-11, 2:02pm
I would guess you could maybe break them up a little before grinding. We've had a grinder for a while--my DD recently used it to chop up cashews for a recipe, and it pulverized them into powder. I'm guessing it would do the same for a cinnamon stick.

Dharma Bum
1-19-11, 2:35pm
Don't use it while you are on a cattle drive.

Mrs-M
1-20-11, 10:55am
Thanks guys! I'm so excited to get it. I seldom buy anything for myself so when I do it's always such a special time for me. I'll be sure to post a followup.

Dharma Bum. Thanks for the warning. :) I'm quietly laughing to myself already at the thought of choosing the first Sunday morning to grind cinnamon. (Rise and shine everybody)!!! :laff:

Gina
1-20-11, 11:01am
Have fun with your new toy. :cool:

I have two generic coffee grinders (both coincidentally going out in the goodwill box) in which I've ground alternate things. They worked very well, but neither would have been able to deal with something that large. I now use the vitamix for such things, and still break things into smaller pieces before hitting 'nuke'. That just works faster and better.

Crystal
1-20-11, 12:32pm
I have a good one about 20 years old. They'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I use it for other stuff too -- grains and such.

iris lily
1-20-11, 1:07pm
I"ve got one that is 22 years old, seldom used, but I do like to have it around. I use it most often to grind Indian spices.

Brian
1-20-11, 2:27pm
I keep three separate grinders I accumulate from thrifts after "varnishing" the blades of one making icing sugar with raw crystals and being asked what that subtle flavour is in the coffee? :)

Grains/bean, spices and a coffee one. I am more careful with them now good makes are disappearing from thrifts.

Plunge type old Braun's, though would prefer a better one for actual coffee grinding, but it has been 15 years of $1 ish a pound cheap Dominican or DR coffee beans I have easy access to, so do not mind the few middlings the plunge type leaves in grind.

To add.. I enjoy the flexibility of needing say a tablespoon of rice flour for a shortbread base and just making a quick batch (sift) vs stale rice flour in pantry, specially in hot climate, everything goes rancid so quickly that is processed. Quick buzz of cut oats for flour to help glue my oatcakes together (issue with cut vs rolled I have). Nothing like fresh toasted spices ground straight into dish as mentioned before... so many uses I have. Real Cinnamon quills grind well... more common cassia that is thicker, cruder bark is difficult to get to a fine grind and needs sifting if using direct into baked goods IME.

Sad Eyed Lady
1-20-11, 2:32pm
Several years ago I bought a "spice grinder" for $1.00 at a flea market. Never used it to grind spices, but it has been an excellent coffee bean grinder for all these years. A good investment I would say. Enjoy your "brand new store bought" grinder Mrs. M, coffee, cinnamon, whatever!

Gregg
1-20-11, 3:14pm
We have a Wal-Mart special that actually works GREAT for spices. I break cinnamon sticks in 1/2, mainly because the bowl on mine is a little small to hold whole sticks. Other than that I just let it whirl away and out comes ground cinnamon. What a wonderful aroma!

Mrs-M
1-21-11, 11:33am
Good morning everybody! Thanks a bunch for stopping by and sharing. Now you guys have me extra excited to get it!

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 1:21pm
Well, a promise is a promise, so here's a quick followup for those of you who so kindly visited this thread. Works fabulous! Quiet, well, as quiet as it gets grinding stick cinnamon, and thorough. No actual "on" button although, the lid requires the operator to apply pressure (quite a bit of pressure) to turn on the unit, so you do have to be right there while grinding, but it works for me. Very well made and sturdy. I'm happy!