PDA

View Full Version : How much right do they have to pry?

frugalone
1-24-12, 5:21pm
I am totally appalled by something sent to me by a temp agency.

It was an agreement to basically let them probe into every aspect of my life.

OK, I understand drug testing. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's another story. BUT...they wanted me to agree to a "background check," which might or might not include looking into my "standard of living," my "lifestyle" and "interviews with my neighbors, friends, etc." My NEIGHBORS? I'm surrounded on three sides by nut jobs. They'd probably be sorry if they knocked on those doors.

Then there was this form asking me if I'd received public assistance or had worked in the last six months. Is this that discriminatory stuff I've read about in the news--that unless you're already working, nobody wants to hire you?

DH and I are outraged by this. Is this what our life has become in the 21st century? Do I really have to go through all this for work that barely pays above minimum wage?

Am I alone in my outrage?

Float On
1-24-12, 5:27pm
I work for a temp agency sometimes and I don't remember it being that invasive. I didn't have to do a drug test because the certain jobs I've done for them didn't require one. They did do a background check but only with the state to make sure there weren't any criminal aspects to my background.

bae
1-24-12, 5:30pm
How much right do they have to pry?

You can just tell them you don't wish to provide that information, and see what happens next.

This is a voluntary employment situation, yes? If you don't like their practices, don't provide them your labor.

Perhaps other places aren't so invasive, or other positions.

studentofecology
1-24-12, 5:30pm
You are not alone. As far as I'm concerned, my private life and my work life are separate. Of course, I've given up on finding a job that I'm willing to take, so I'm working on creating my own business.

frugalone
1-24-12, 5:33pm
All good points. I did decide I would rather work for somebody who wasn't as nosy. Even the state civil service isn't THAT inquisitive.

A friend pointed out that any employer can snoop around like this--it's just that this temp agency was being up front about it. Still, I really cannot imagine someone asking my neighbors about me, or looking at our house to see if we keep our yard nice and tidy. Wait till they see the rabbit poop compost heap in the side yard. LOL

herbgeek
1-24-12, 6:28pm
I'm with Bae. I tell employers that my information is private. It depends what it is. I can tell them what I made in my last job so they know if we are both in the ballpark, but they have no need for a salary history. If they persist, I ask what the data will be used for and how I can be sure that the information will be kept confidential. I'd be leary of a temp agency having this info.

They have every right to ask , but it doesn't mean you have to answer. That may mean you don't get the job.

Tradd
1-24-12, 7:16pm
I guess it depends on what the job will be or where it will be.

After I pass the customs broker licensing exam, once I apply for my license, I will be investigated - very thoroughly - by both the FBI and CBP. I will have to supply references (people have either already agreed or even offered to be references). I'm not totally thrilled about it, but if I want my brokers license, I have to agree.

So a background check is necessary for some jobs. Before I was hired at the current job (5+ years ago), I had to consent to a background and credit check, but it was just online stuff. Nothing about talking to neighbors, etc., aside from talking to my previous company.

sweetana3
1-24-12, 7:34pm
I worked for the Federal Government for 27 years as an analyst and quit. When I came back 5 years later to work as a very low level secretary, they required a full background check with fingerprints, contact with neighbors, checking everything including financial background. Heck, they even got in touch with my husband and asked him if he knew of any "problems". For a secretary position no less.

Two things have caused this, 9/11 and litigation.

JaneV2.0
1-24-12, 7:41pm
An HR canvasser left a note on my door before Christmas regarding a neighbor seeking employment. I had nothing to offer them. I have to say this is my first experience with this, but when I was first employed, employers checking out neighbors and family situations as part of the hiring process wasn't unheard-of.

I can imagine what a treat it is for HR clerks to read pages of Twitter and Facebook blather posted by job applicants who seem blissfully unaware that everything they've written therein is fair game for potential employers.

puglogic
1-24-12, 8:11pm
I was once asked to sign similar documents. I was receiving Top Secret security clearance to work on an aerospace program for the gubmint.

But for minimum wage? Not unless my economic survival depended on it. And if it did, well, whatever. What do I care who they talk to? I have nothing to hide - have at it, snoops :)

It seems really weird, though. The neighbors???

fidgiegirl
1-24-12, 8:22pm
The part about being on assistance or not sounds discriminatory. I wonder what the rationale is?

Simplemind
1-25-12, 1:55am
It depends on the job. I went through all that plus a psych test 26 years ago. Even though we go through all that. we have still had some whoppers that jumped through the hoops. We are very open about what we are looking into and still people lie lie lie.

ApatheticNoMore
1-25-12, 3:23am
How much right do they have to pry?

legally probably a great deal, though it sucks.

DH and I are outraged by this. Is this what our life has become in the 21st century? Do I really have to go through all this for work that barely pays above minimum wage?

well my rule of thumb, my experience is, the LESS the job pays, the more it will have ridiculous invasive screening processes. Ok background checks, usually criminal background checks are widespread for jobs (and I've had many), and some places do credit checks too, but the extent of the ridiculousness of the screening goes up as the pay goes down (and therefore you get outright silly screenings like talking to neighbors and so on).

Nah, I would be angry too, but what can be done about it? I guess I'd submit or not depending on how badly I needed a job (if it wasn't that badly I'd be likely to walk out - desperately resisting the urge to give them the finger :)).

sweetana3
1-25-12, 5:48am
When I woke up I had tought of another reason for such questions. The various government agencies are offering or suggesting various programs to get employers to hire certain classes of employees. Some are based on long term unemployment or "welfare". They MAY need the info for determining whether the person might qualify the employer for some hiring or training benefits.

So it is slightly possible that the lack of info may disqualify the potential employee.

jania
1-25-12, 8:56am
Lady, while this is totally outrageous (to me) it is not unusual. Last year at my place of employment I had to sign these same documents concerning the background check which included the checking into my "lifestyle" and talking with neighbors. I've worked at this same place for over 10 years, though two years ago we were moved to a different management company. In the past, with this same company, I had to submit to a "surprise" check which included me giving a list of my last 7 years of living addresses, driver's license, and employment history (gee, these were things they already had from when I was going through the hiring process).

I could have chosen not to sign these documents if I no longer wanted to be employed. My suggestion is try not to take it personally and know you aren't the only one.

Zoe Girl
1-25-12, 10:04am
The only experience I have had with these types of checks is when my ex husband got a high security clearance. We had to do all this andmore every 5 years even before 9-11. But he knew he wanted to work in that environment. Now I work for a school system and we do background check everyone from lunch ladies to top admin,but not lifestyle. Just focusing on anything that affects or potentially affects children.

The assistance question is interesting. I wonder if it is an incentive to hire people who have needed assistance rather than a sign of something negative. Goodness knows being on assistance or being outof work for 6 months should not be negative at this point.

pinkytoe
1-25-12, 10:28am
I would certainly ask why they need that information before giving it to them. I find it really strange that neighbors need to be questioned unless you are applying for a high security position.

Nella
1-25-12, 11:09am
I can imagine what a treat it is for HR clerks to read pages of Twitter and Facebook blather posted by job applicants who seem blissfully unaware that everything they've written therein is fair game for potential employers.Yeah. My motto has always been, "Unless you're comfortable seeing it as a headline, don't put it in a blog, an email, a tweet, or a posting." Anything, ANYTHING, you ever put on the internet is "fair game," whether the principle of it all is "fair" or not.

Miss Cellane
1-25-12, 11:29am
This is a temp agency. They work with probably hundreds of clients for hundreds of different kinds of jobs. The agency wants to keep a good relationship with their clients. Sending in temp workers who have a criminal history, or who might steal from the client company or come to work high or drunk will not do the agency any good. The agency, in order to protect its reputation and keep its clients, needs to do some sort of pre-screening of its temp workers.

In addition, there's no telling what kind of job might come up and how short a deadline there might be to fill it. Having all their temp workers already pre-screened with a drug test and background check means that all the workers are ready to go--there's no need to wait a few days or weeks. The testing is done, the workers can be employed the next day.

The employment information--I signed up with a temp agency last October. They asked me the same questions, but were very up-front about why. If they employ someone who has been on unemployment or laid-off, they get state and federal money or other incentives, and so do some of their client companies.

From what I could tell, the background check this agency did was pretty much to check for a criminal record and not much else. Just because the paperwork says they might interview neighbors doesn't mean that they will. In my case, I'd just moved. My neighbors knew nothing about me.

KayLR
1-25-12, 12:16pm
I hope they don't judge by the character of the neighbors---I'd be sunk.

frugalone
1-25-12, 9:41pm
It was for working with a mail order drug company. So in a way, I guess I could understand. But it was very low paying.

The state, on the other hand, wanted my bank account info whether they hired me or not. They said it was for direct deposit and if I were not hired, they'd destroy it. I was very reluctant because I was recently cyber hacked.

I do find the "salary requirements" thing totally out of bounds. They're just asking that so they can see how cheaply they can get you, IMHO.

folkypoet
1-26-12, 11:24am
I do find the "salary requirements" thing totally out of bounds. They're just asking that so they can see how cheaply they can get you, IMHO.

Yes yes yes. :o(

gimmethesimplelife
1-26-12, 10:24pm
You are not alone. As far as I'm concerned, my private life and my work life are separate. Of course, I've given up on finding a job that I'm willing to take, so I'm working on creating my own business.Can I ever relate to what you have said here! I am pretty much giving up on finding a job I'm willing to take too.....Rob

jennipurrr
1-27-12, 10:26am
It was for working with a mail order drug company. So in a way, I guess I could understand. But it was very low paying.

It sounds very intrusive, but with a drug company I am sure they get all kinds of applicants with substance abuse history who may be looking to pilfer a bit on the side. I have a relative who works in quality control for a drug manufacturer and everyone that works in the building has strict rules about wearing company issued jumpsuits and leaving all personal items in a locker. They are very strict about theft. And then of course you always hear that when they are cutting street drugs they make everyone get naked (!!!) so that they cannot steal.

I worked at a bank, job was totally unrelated to the actual money part of things, and I have always disliked that my finger prints are on file forever...not because I am planning to do anything nefarious, but just the principle of it.

jp1
1-28-12, 11:23am
The other thing to consider with a mail order drug company is that people who work there likely have access to Personal Health Information, in the form of drug prescriptions. Companies that have such information have legal liability to protect that information from becoming public. I underwrite insurance that protects companies that get sued for lost private information like this and we specifically ask on our application what the company screens new hires for.

The whole idea of talking with the applicant's neighbors seems incredibly wasteful from a time management standpoint, not to mention intrusive, and pointless. I live in an apartment building in a large city. My neighbors don't know anything about me, nor I them. Unless the job required government security clearance I can't imagine going to the bother.

loosechickens
1-29-12, 12:27am
When I had a security clearance, it went with the territory that your life would be poked and prodded.......FBI agents even questioned people in a small town where I hadn't lived since I was less than two years old.....but it does seem a bit of overkill for some job at a temp agency.

However, sad as it is, our country today is an employer's market, and you dance to their tune or you don't work. Unions used to help with such things, but only about single digits of our private employees these days are represented by a union, and well under a majority of public workers. So, you'd better get used to the folks handing out the jobs having the upper hand. Or figure out a way to be self employed.

I guess it really comes down to how willing one is to sell their soul for a job. Truly. Because you really don't have many rights other than the right to withhold your labor from that employer if you don't like the terms of employment. Sadly, today, there will be legions of people ready and willing to jump through those hoops, even for low paid jobs, and employers know it.

herbgeek
1-29-12, 9:37am
I don't believe it necessarily has to be that black or white. I've often had good results with a gentle, appropriate, respectful probing of the why behind certain policies. Sometimes people just haven't thought things through, or it was like that when they inherited the job, or maybe they feel its a stupid policy too but feel powerless to change it.

I understand that I can say that because of a relatively cushy white collar background and a tidy emergency fund and not everyone has that luxury. And sometimes I have gone along with stupid policies when I was in a more desperate situation.

jania
2-6-12, 8:59am
Just wanted to announce that once again, at work, I had to fill out and sign the forms allowing my company to check into my life, including the talk with neighbors and inquiring about my lifestyle. I work for a large company in the hospitality business (hotels, resorts). I hope if I've committed a crime they will let me know! I find this so irritating.

iris lily
2-6-12, 9:45am
When DH worked for a tree company they had a hellova time getting employees who could pass the drug test. DH guessed that it eliminated as much as 50% of their good candidates, and a minimum of 25%. They are required to drug test for driving.

It was also common for guys who had worked there for a long time to fail a random drug test and they'd be off the payroll for a while, then back on after they'd cleaned out.

peggy
2-6-12, 1:10pm
I am totally appalled by something sent to me by a temp agency.

It was an agreement to basically let them probe into every aspect of my life.

OK, I understand drug testing. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's another story. BUT...they wanted me to agree to a "background check," which might or might not include looking into my "standard of living," my "lifestyle" and "interviews with my neighbors, friends, etc." My NEIGHBORS? I'm surrounded on three sides by nut jobs. They'd probably be sorry if they knocked on those doors.

Then there was this form asking me if I'd received public assistance or had worked in the last six months. Is this that discriminatory stuff I've read about in the news--that unless you're already working, nobody wants to hire you?

This isn't really all that unusual, depending on the job. I wouldn't get all up about it until you find out why. Simply ask them why do you want this information? And I wouldn't ask it in a challenging, defensive way. Ask as if you truly want to know.
Folks don't think about it but, often, in even low level, everyday type jobs, you would be privy to other people's personal information, like SSN, or medical records, or job histories, or any number of other personal information. Or credit card numbers, that sort of thing. With identity theft issues or credit card number issues, they probably just want to make sure of who is gaining access to this sensitive information. If it's a temp place that's asking, I'm betting they just want to know to what level they can recommend you to employers. If you compromise someone else's sensitive info, then you know the temp agency is responsible.
I know our first, knee-jerk response is to spin up about personal, intrusive type questions, but when you think about it, I'm guessing most people want to know that other people who are privy to their personal information have been vetted.
I'll tell you what's weird feeling...when my husband was in the service, there were a few jobs he was up for where they investigated ME in order to proceed with his application. Of course I understood it, but it was a very strange feeling none the less.

jennipurrr
2-7-12, 9:37am
When DH worked for a tree company they had a hellova time getting employees who could pass the drug test. DH guessed that it eliminated as much as 50% of their good candidates, and a minimum of 25%. They are required to drug test for driving.

It was also common for guys who had worked there for a long time to fail a random drug test and they'd be off the payroll for a while, then back on after they'd cleaned out.

Completely off topic...I know of someone who owns a local business employing laborer types. He says his perfect worker is a pot smoker. It generally doesn't interfere with their ability or competence at work, but its enough for them to fail the drug test should they have a workers comp claim. I thought that was a bit evil.

JaneV2.0
2-7-12, 10:43am
"Laborer types?" Wow.