PDA

View Full Version : A moon base? Really Newt?

CathyA
1-26-12, 10:36am
Newt promises that if he makes it to a second term as president, he will build a base on the moon. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy?
A moon base?........really?

creaker
1-26-12, 11:01am
Anything to avoid talking about what he'd do during his first term.

ApatheticNoMore
1-26-12, 1:08pm
President moonbeam, you know I might have been ok with a President moonbeam back when Jerry Brown was running but .....

That's why Newt is not electable, he's not just crazy (I think most U.S. policy has been for awhile so that wouldn't be new), but the freak flag flys at full mast with him, the strangest things come out of his mouth.

madgeylou
1-26-12, 1:13pm
Anything to avoid talking about what he'd do during his first term.

LOLZ!

bae
1-26-12, 1:28pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezzsTnZX5Jg

leslieann
1-26-12, 1:43pm
Thanks, bae....how fabulously cheesy.

puglogic
1-26-12, 1:55pm
Hilarious.

I'd love if we were prosperous enough to have a really well-funded space program that could do way-out things like that. But the fact is, currently we aren't, and those days are probably behind us. In a decade or so, my state is going to have to figure out more down-to-Earth things, like how to get potable water.

Good luck to all of us.

Zoebird
1-26-12, 4:12pm
yes, it would be cool.

that being said, there's already a base on the moon (http://subterraneanbases.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.32). :)

chanterelle
1-26-12, 4:13pm
After Newtie's first term, I think that the idea of living on the moon would be very appealing to me.

JaneV2.0
1-26-12, 4:36pm
Forgive me for itching to send a little campaign financing Newt's way just to help keep this flea circus jumping.

puglogic
1-26-12, 7:08pm
Don't forget the part where he's going to claim the Moon as a U.S. state.

Because, you know, America OWNs it and all.

Tweety
1-26-12, 7:20pm
I seem to remember George W promising to send astronauts to the moon and Mars. That idea didn't get very far. They will promise anything that they think will pull in a few votes.

morris_rl
1-26-12, 7:26pm
Newt promises that if he makes it to a second term as president, he will build a base on the moon. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy?
A moon base?........really?

Queen Isabella promises to build a base in the New World. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy? A New World base? ........really?

President Kennedy promises to put men on the Moon. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy? Men on the Moon? ........really?

Yup, Newt Gingrich is just as deranged as Queen Isabella of Spain and President John F. Kennedy were...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMQXcKswxc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwmSS54Rxk&feature=autoplay&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550&lf=results_video&playnext=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zotaRLROtw&feature=autoplay&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550&lf=results_video&playnext=3

Humans _will_ expand throughout the Solar System and beyond. That said, there is no assurance that they will speak English.

Best,

Rodger

ApatheticNoMore
1-26-12, 7:47pm
I seem to remember George W promising to send astronauts to the moon and Mars. That idea didn't get very far. They will promise anything that they think will pull in a few votes.

this is known in country music as "promising the moon" :)

President Kennedy promises to put men on the Moon. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy? Men on the Moon? ........really?

The difference between then and now is things on earth (and in this country) have deteriorated GREATLY since then. We are not a prosperous nation at it's height (very far from it), all is not fine here on earth, and IMO it is time to stop pretending.

morris_rl
1-26-12, 7:53pm
this is known in country music as "promising the moon" :)

The difference between then and now is things on earth (and in this country) have deteriorated GREATLY since then. We are not a prosperous nation at it's height (very far from it), all is not fine here on earth, and IMO it is time to stop pretending.

If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe as we spread into space. If we are the only intellegent beings in the galaxy we should make sure we survive and continue. . . . Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking on planet Earth but to spread out into space. We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space.

— Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist, intervew with Andrew Dermont of website Big Think, 6 August 2010.

Best,

Rodger

rosebud
1-26-12, 7:57pm
Queen Isabella promises to build a base in the New World. Really? There's nothing better to spend money on here? ........Education? Infra structure? Alternative Energy? A New World base? ........really?

Yup, Newt Gingrich is just as deranged as Queen Isabella of Spain and President John F. Kennedy were...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMQXcKswxc&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwmSS54Rxk&feature=autoplay&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550&lf=results_video&playnext=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zotaRLROtw&feature=autoplay&list=PLD9CA31C37B670550&lf=results_video&playnext=3

Humans _will_ expand throughout the Solar System and beyond. That said, there is no assurance that they will speak English.

Best,

Rodger

Dude, haven't you ever seen Star Trek? English is the universal language, which is good because just imagine if it were Klingon! That is a really hard language for us English speakers to learn.

Seriously, I do see your point that there is a fine line between being a visionary and being a nut, but must we really impose ourselves on the rest of the universe?

Alan
1-26-12, 8:04pm
Dude, haven't you ever seen Star Trek? English is the universal language, which is good because just imagine if it were Klingon! That is a really hard language for us English speakers to learn.

I saw Star Trek, they had a universal translator. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Universal_translator

Seriously, I do see your point that there is a fine line between being a visionary and being a nut, but must we really impose ourselves on the rest of the universe?
Do you think the universe, in its vastness, would notice?

morris_rl
1-26-12, 8:05pm

Since you mention Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry certainly thought so:

"Let me end with an explanation of why I believe the move into space to be a human imperative. It seems to me obvious in too many ways to need listing that we cannot much longer depend upon our planet's relatively fragile ecosystem to handle the realities of the human tomorrow. Unless we turn human growth and energy toward the challenges and promises of space, our only other choice may be the awful risk, currently demonstrable, of stumbling into a cycle of fratricide and regression which could end all chances of our evolving further or of even surviving."

— Gene Roddenberry, 'Hailing Frequencies Open!' The Planetary Report Vol. 1, April/May 1981.

Best,

Rodger

Rogar
1-26-12, 8:08pm
Thanks for brightening my day. I can't see anything but humor in that. Maybe Newt is thinking of establishing some cheese mines to relieve world hunger. How about some golf programs for inner city ghetto residents to inspire them to be upwardly mobile.

morris_rl
1-26-12, 8:36pm
I saw Star Trek, they had a universal translator. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Universal_translator

Let us see:

"We hope someday, having solved the problems we face, to join a community of galactic civilizations."

— President Jimmy Carter, part of the English language message on the 'golden record' attached to Voyager 1, the first man-made machine to leave the Solar System, 1977

Best,

Rodger

rosebud
1-26-12, 8:41pm

Yes, but it all lands up as English!

If we survive as a species long enough I would imagine that it is inevitable that we will develope the technological breakthroughs that will enable us to colonize other planets. I'm not that optimistic that we will be around as a species that long.

Alan
1-26-12, 8:46pm

Au contraire!

The universal translator (also referred to as a "UT" or
translator circuit) is a device used to decipher and interpret alien languages (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Language)
into the native language of the user.

ApatheticNoMore
1-26-12, 8:49pm
If we survive as a species long enough I would imagine that it is inevitable that we will develope the technological breakthroughs that will enable us to colonize other planets. I'm not that optimistic that we will be around as a species that long.

+1

morris_rl
1-26-12, 9:11pm

"If man survives for as long as the least successful of the dinosaurs—those creatures whom we often deride as nature's failures—then we may be certain of this: for all but a vanishingly brief instant near the dawn of history, the word 'ship' will mean— 'spaceship.'"

— Arthur C. Clarke, quoted by Hugh Downs, Ad Astra, Fall 2008.

Best,

Rodger

rosebud
1-26-12, 11:52pm
Au contraire!

What is this "au contaire" you speak of?

So let me understand this. The UT thingy is translating everything into English just for me? That's great cuz I hate subtitles.

Zoebird
1-27-12, 12:18am
we need babble-fish. much more reliable, i've heard.

Alan
1-27-12, 8:10am
So let me understand this. The UT thingy is translating everything into English just for me?
Yes. What would be the point if it translated Klingon to Ferengi, and you weren't Ferengi? Duh!!

peggy
1-27-12, 8:38am
The UT translates the alien language to the language of the LISTENER. So, since you speak English, you hear only English. If you were Klingon, you would hear Klingon. Actually there was an episode of Deep Space Nine where the UT was broken and the humans who were interacting with the Ferengi couldn't understand them.

edited to correct my spelling of Ferengi. I'm trusting Alan's spelling.:thankyou:

Gregg
1-27-12, 8:58am
The UT translates the alien language to the language of the LISTENER.

So you're saying this miraculous device could help me understand Obamacare?

jp1
1-27-12, 9:25am

I would imagine most politicians would be terrified of a device that translated what they say into something each listener could actually understand. They'd have a much harder time backpedaling and insisting that what they said wasn't actually what they said.

mtnlaurel
1-27-12, 11:23am
Forgive me, I haven't read all of this thread.

A funny I read on facebook today....
"Can we just make Newt president of the moon colony?"

peggy
1-27-12, 3:22pm

Unfortunately comprehension is up to the individuals ability.;)

rosebud
1-27-12, 4:01pm

No, it would still be Feregi to you.

morris_rl
1-27-12, 6:13pm
As soon as somebody demonstrates the art of flying, settlers from our species of man will not be lacking [on the Moon and Jupiter]. . . . Who would have believed that a huge ocean could be crossed more peacefully and safely than the the narrow expanse of the Adriatic, the Baltic Sea or the English Channel? Provide ship or sails adapted to the heavenly breezes, and there will be some who will not fear even that void [of space]. . . . So, for those who will come shortly to attempt this journey, let us establish the astronomy: Galileo, you of Jupiter, I of the Moon.

— Johannes Kepler, letter to Galileo Galilei, 'Conversation with the Messenger from the Stars,' 19 April 1610.

In my own view, the important achievement of Apollo was a demonstration that humanity is not forever chained to this planet, and our visions go rather further than that, and our opportunities are unlimited.

— Neil Armstrong, July 1999.

All of the following individuals are on record as believing that we must expand beyond the Earth:

http://www.spacequotations.com/colonization.html

Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, Isaac Asimov, John Jacob Astor, J. D. Bernal, Frank Borman, Ben Bova, Ray, Bradbury, William E. Burrows, Charles Chafer, Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Collins, Walter Cronkite, Paul Davies, Freeman Dyson, Newt Gingrich, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Goddard, Michael Griffin, David Grinspoon, Stephen Hawking, Robert A. Heinlein, T. A. Heppenheimer, Frank Herbert, Charles Holbrow, Richard D. Johnson, Johannes Kepler, Timothy Leary, Bruce Murray, Elon Musk, Larry Niven, Hermann Oberth, Gerard K. O'Neill, Jerry Pournelle, Corey Powell, Martin Rees, Gene Roddenberry, Carl Sagan, Marshall T. Savage, Robert Shapiro, Charles Sheldon, Olaf Stapledon, Max Tegmark, Henry David Thoreau, Frank J. Tipler, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Rick Tumlinson, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, Tom Wolfe, U.S. Human Spaceflight Plans Committee, John Young, Robert Zubrin,

If Newt Gingrich is crazy for advocating a permanent settlement on the Moon, then he is in extremely good company...

"Imagine how foolish you would feel if you didn't try only because someone said you're a lunatic."

— Paul Horowitz, Harvard physicist and SETI veteran, Discover magazine, July/August 2010.

Best,

Rodger

morris_rl
1-27-12, 6:19pm
Forgive me, I haven't read all of this thread.

A funny I read on facebook today....
"Can we just make Newt president of the moon colony?"

Let us establish the moon colony and then offer Newt the position. My guess is that he would accept...

Best,

Rodger

puglogic
1-27-12, 7:49pm
"If Newt Gingrich is crazy for advocating a permanent settlement on the Moon, then he is in extremely good company..."

Crazy is secondary (I love the idea myself; I'm a huge space nut). Poor priorities are primary. This is the man who begrudges federal spending on keeping ordinary people fed, housed, and educated in a catastrophic economic situation not of their making. Otherwise, I'm sure it wouldn't be the object of so many derisive comments. Rodger, you're a big supporter of the concept, obviously, and I love that you're so passionate about it. But where do you suggest the trillions to do it might come from?

morris_rl
1-27-12, 8:20pm
"If Newt Gingrich is crazy for advocating a permanent settlement on the Moon, then he is in extremely good company..."

Crazy is secondary (I love the idea myself; I'm a huge space nut). Poor priorities are primary. This is the man who begrudges federal spending on keeping ordinary people fed, housed, and educated in a catastrophic economic situation not of their making. Otherwise, I'm sure it wouldn't be the object of so many derisive comments. Rodger, you're a big supporter of the concept, obviously, and I love that you're so passionate about it. But where do you suggest the trillions to do it might come from?

If the human race is to survive and thrive in the long term, then we simply must expand into space. As Arthur C. Clarke once said so trenchantly:

"There is no way back into the past; the choice, as Wells once said, is the universe—or nothing. Though men and civilizations may yearn for rest, for the dream of the lotus-eaters, that is a desire that merges imperceptibly into death. The challenge of the great spaces between the worlds is a stupendous one; but if we fail to meet it, the story of our race will be drawing to its close."

— Arthur C. Clarke, Interplanetary Flight, 1950.

Setting up a colony on the moon need not cost trillions of dollars. Use a prize system, as was successfully done in aviation, and as was successfully done with the Ansari X-Prize for achieving suborbital flight.

For example, offer a tax free cash prize of $20 billion for the first private entity that can establish a colony on the moon staffed by 10 people or more for 720 consecutive days. If nobody achieves the terms of the prize, it costs the American taxpayer nothing. If it does succeed, a capability exists that the U.S. may contract to use as needed...

If you wish to avoid a monopoly, offer two such prizes, say $20 billion and $10 billion. Even $30 billion is between two and three orders of magnitude less than the trillions of dollars the naysayers throw around as the minimum cost of such a colony. And if I am wrong in this and the cost is on the order of trillions of dollars, then there is no cost to the American taxpayer, as the prize(s) will go unclaimed.

Newt Gingrich explicitly stated that he was strongly in favor of establishing such prizes.

Best,

Rodger

rosebud
1-28-12, 1:00am
Had to stop and read this in Slate today after the discussion here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/01/newt_gingrich_s_moon_colony_and_mars_plan_.html

Apparently not everyone is impressed by Newt's idea.

Maxamillion
1-28-12, 3:22am
And to think Obama got flack from Republicans for wanting to give some funds to help a planetarium.

Bronxboy
1-28-12, 3:59am
Let us establish the moon colony and then offer Newt the position. My guess is that he would accept...

Best,

Rodger
Hi, Rodger!

This all completely ignores the fact that it would take 8 years to build the space program to get there--making it Newt's retirement home. :moon:

The new part, building a habitable base on the moon, would probably take longer.

CathyA
1-28-12, 9:05am
I personally would rather die on earth than live on the moon. I mean seriously........what kind of life would that be??? I'd rather see the human race become extinct on earth, than to dirty up that beautiful orb in the night sky.

ApatheticNoMore
1-28-12, 2:32pm
I personally would rather die on earth than live on the moon. I mean seriously........what kind of life would that be???

Really agreed, although it is a preference. But yea I suppose I'm very of the earth really. I want this planet which I have evolved by millions of years of evolution for, with all the things this body and psyche have for millions striven to accommodate. A single sun on an approximate 24 hour day. This dirt and all it is made up of. Etc.

Mortal on this planet? Sure, but even space hasn't exactly promised me immortality :) I can't say for sure I'd turn it down :~)

Anyway, I don't hugely object to funding space exploration (how about we take the money being spent on wars ....). It's just a bizarre focus if you are more the doomer type, and you are like: "woah things are deteriorating rapidly on all fronts, the human species may not even survive on earth much longer, and that is the focus!". But what can I say .... 2012 era U.S. governance and politics is completely out of touch, when it's not downright scary.

A very popular deep in the collective unconscious meme has always envisioned the elite escaping a trashed planet (see Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush"). Although no I don't actually posit that as super likely (and heaven knows I wouldn't want to get slammed for speculation). It's quite possible most of the space money is really just intended to be pork. How is that for a down to earth explanation? Or I think it is possible Newt actually is an off the wall dreamer sort, which he somehow manages to fit in the bounds of right wing conservative ideology, which is the most unlikely of places for it. His off the wallness is actually kind of enduring, makes him seem more genuine than the entirely 100% manufactured Obama. But should Newt be given power? Of course not.

JaneV2.0
1-28-12, 4:38pm
It's the part about claiming the moon and declaring it a state that creeps me out; establishing a base some day may be inevitable.

Zoebird
1-28-12, 11:16pm
I like what John Stewart had to say about it, which was. . . paraphrased --

Essentially, it's a great idea to get 13,000 in a moon colony and let them become a state, but it's entirely crazy to allow DC to become a state, you know, a place in the US with 5 times (or something) the amount of citizens as a potential moon colony.

Alan
1-28-12, 11:43pm
I like what John Stewart had to say about it, which was. . . paraphrased --

Essentially, it's a great idea to get 13,000 in a moon colony and let them become a state, but it's entirely crazy to allow DC to become a state, you know, a place in the US with 5 times (or something) the amount of citizens as a potential moon colony.
DC should never be a state. As the seat of the federal government, and theoretical servant of the states, it would be inappropriate.

Zoebird
1-28-12, 11:52pm
i'm thinking, then, that citizens that live in the city itself might be better served to belong to a state near-by so that they can vote on stuff. otherwise they get all taxationed without representation.

Alan
1-28-12, 11:57pm
Actually, the entirety of Congress is charged with representing DC's interests as a federal enclave. Not just a few Congresscritters, but all. It may not be direct representation, but it is some pretty comprehensive representation.

loosechickens
1-29-12, 12:00am
well, having lived in and around Washington, D.C. for much of my life......if half a million people should not have the rights and votes others have, living in every other area of our country, then perhaps we should designate the buildings and institutions of the Federal government, as the "seat" of government, and allow all the rest of that area, and its residents to split up and partition the rest of the area of the District between Maryland and Virginia, (probably mostly the area would go to Maryland, since it's kind of carved out of the State of Maryland). The idea that hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people would have little representation for the area in which they live (they used to have NONE), seems ridiculous to me, especially since large numbers of the people living there don't even WORK for the Federal government.......and, as in many other things, a responsibility that is "everyone's" responsibility, often is "no one's" responsibility, and the District of Columbia has been ignored and poorly represented by the U.S. Congress, for quite a long time.

I'll post this here, for general interest, because it's always surprised me that a very large percentage of people are unaware of the fact that residents of the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.) do not have the same rights of representation as citizens in the other areas of this country. It's been a long standing thorn in the side of D.C. residents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_voting_rights

"Voting rights of citizens in the District of Columbia differ from those of United States citizens in each of the fifty states. District of Columbia residents do not have voting representation in the United States Senate, but D.C. is entitled to three electoral votes for President. In the U.S. House of Representatives, the District is entitled to a delegate, who is not allowed to vote on the floor of the House, but can vote on procedural matters and in House committees.

The United States Constitution grants congressional voting representation to the states, which the District is not. The District is a federal territory ultimately under the complete authority of Congress. The lack of voting representation in Congress for residents of the U.S. capital has been an issue since the foundation of the federal district. Numerous proposals have been introduced to change this situation including legislation and constitutional amendments to grant D.C. residents voting representation, returning the District to the state of Maryland, and making the District of Columbia into a new state. All proposals have been met with political or constitutional challenges; therefore, there has been no change in the District's representation in the Congress."

LDAHL
1-29-12, 12:03pm
Mr. Gingrich is too late. The debt ceiling has already reached the moon. My hope is that government efforts in space will soon be eclipsed by private enterprise, which will have no constituents to pander to except shareholders.

Gregg
1-29-12, 12:56pm
Not that anyone should actually live there, but I think the US should claim the sun, not the moon. We could then start charging all the other countries for sunlight to help reduce the deficit we built up defending them. The powers that be could just replace the cabinet with the board of PG&E and it would be a done deal. To maximize profits we should also charge for moon light. It is, after all, just reflected sunlight. Kind of like pretty second hand smoke...mirrors optional.

ETA: It's the make it a state part I don't like. Love the idea of a revitalized space program. I think we need a new common dream (and goal), but we don't necessarily need to stake a claim everywhere we set foot.

CathyA
1-29-12, 1:27pm
I guess my world is very small, and I like it that way. Make very few trips to town, enjoy nature around me, watching the moon and shooting stars at night, listening to the frogs and crickets in the summer. I could go on and on about the incredible things that excite me every day on this little piece of earth I have. I really can't relate to much of the other stuff.

LDAHL
1-29-12, 2:34pm
I guess my world is very small, and I like it that way. Make very few trips to town, enjoy nature around me, watching the moon and shooting stars at night, listening to the frogs and crickets in the summer. I could go on and on about the incredible things that excite me every day on this little piece of earth I have. I really can't relate to much of the other stuff.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I suspect its probably the most intelligent perspective to have from a happiness-maximization standpoint. However, if some few of us didn't find that to be insufficient we would never have left the trees.

Zoebird
1-29-12, 4:24pm
It would be great to have a unifying idea that isn't fear-based/war-based, for sure.

That being said, I'm also not interested in living in another planet. I've already been invited, but I realized that I was from here.

And btw, I was invited in a dream. don't think i'm too nuts. LOL

CathyA
1-29-12, 5:03pm
LDAHL.........and what would have been so wrong/bad with that? :)

loosechickens
1-29-12, 11:16pm
I find myself thinking the same way sometimes, CathyA.......especially when they start measuring intelligence in dolphins, etc., and we realize that there may be animals right here on our planet with great intelligence, and who knows? Maybe they thought about taking the path that humans have taken and decided to just frolic in the sea instead......I always DID want to live in a treehouse, hehehehe

Maxamillion
1-30-12, 2:48am
I think dolphins got the better deal. No work, no taxes, no speeding tickets, no wars, no crime...

peggy
1-30-12, 9:04am
no books, no computers, no gardening and making apple cider, no dreaming of space flight, and no margarita parties on the patio.:cool:
A dolphin's life is great...for a dolphin!;)

ApatheticNoMore
1-30-12, 12:46pm
Well I often envy a cat's life. Just lying around all day, never have to go to work, and yet get fed and housed despite it. Often seem content, lying around like the furballs they are, purring away. If it wasn't for the risk of being run over by cars and eaten by predators I'd trade in a heartbeat. Human life is hard.

Gregg
1-30-12, 2:01pm
I've only had one stint in my life where I got to lay around all day and was generally relieved of responsibility. Thankfully that period only lasted a couple months because it was beyond any doubt the worst couple months of my life! I thought that having virtually unlimited time for the three R's (reflection, reading and relaxing) would be great. WRONG! The first week or two was pretty nice, but that was all. I will never begrudge anyone who wants a cat's life/dog's life/goldfish's life, its a personal choice and as long as no one else has to support them in that lifestyle I say more power to you. For me, I look at our now deceased kitty for a clue. In 17 years (roughly what...mid-80's in human terms) that cat did not grow emotionally, she did not learn anything new after about her second year, there were never any challenges to overcome, no accomplishment beyond living another day. All she faced every day was an endless, mind numbing routine. She seemed happy enough and was certainly loved and well cared for so in cat terms she had a good life. In human terms, no thank you. To anyone who wants to have such a life I say go for it, but please stay out of the way of those of us who don't. For my own sake I'd much rather dream of space.

CathyA
1-30-12, 2:17pm
Wow Gregg....that's a little harsh. A simpler life doesn't rule out growing and learning and accomplishing.

ApatheticNoMore
1-30-12, 2:46pm
Well I tend to see taking joy in the ordinary, mere human life (and not a cat's life, no matter how much I may wish it), is the way to be. Do I always? Nah I tend to get kind of dark sometimes, but I do when I'm at my better self.

Gregg
1-30-12, 3:00pm
Wow Gregg....that's a little harsh. A simpler life doesn't rule out growing and learning and accomplishing.

A simpler life doesn't. A cat's life does.

CathyA & ANM, I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, that wasn't my intent (and hoping a little editing knocked a few spurs off). Thanks for pointing it out. What really kind of has me going is that there are people who really would live the life of a pet. Not producing, not contributing, just laying around and waiting for someone to take care of them... We all know someone like that. I happen to have a few family members like that and they drive me crazy. I don't expect more than that from a cat because frankly they aren't capable of just a whole lot more. Humans are. If we want to talk about what is the most tragic waste of a resource you can forget about oil or clean water or gold... It's (human) brain power. Hands down. And it gets wasted at an alarming rate.

ApatheticNoMore is right, human life IS hard. Hard, at least in the sense of challenging, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Life is worth living when we make it worth living. Nobody will do it for you. And it takes action. It's been a long time since the collective hive in this country put value in action, but we need to get back to that. Newt may sound like some kind of dork for proposing a moon base, but at least he had the kahunas to throw something on the table that stirs the imagination. I'm not one that believes a moon base should be job one for the next president, but we need to do something to get this country off its (cat like) butt.

CathyA
1-30-12, 3:21pm
I had the feeling it was personal for you Gregg. Even in a simpler life you don't want people to always take and never give. There's always something to do to better your surroundings and your lot in life, even in a very simple environment. And "simpler" is not "easier". I had to laugh with a person I met on a chicken forum. We both live out in the country and even though we say we're living "simple" lives, its hard physical work. He said "Hey ...simple living isn't easy......I thought "simple" meant living in a condo and eating out all the time." haha
So no matter where you live or what you do, or how simple or complicated your life is, I think its important to be engaged.
I think alot of people in our society "work hard".......but they don't like what they're working hard at, and it has no meaning or value to them, other than a paycheck. They have to work overtime at a job they don't like in order to have all the things we think we need to have. Then they start dreaming of doing nothing.
For many reasons, alot of us are depressed and tired. It makes the life of a pet look pretty good.
And yes, there are a ton of lazy people in this country too. I can't argue with you about that.

Zoebird
1-30-12, 5:49pm
I get bored pretty easily. it's why i'm not a SAHM. Yes, being with my son is awesome. Playing blocks is only fun for about an hour. My son will play for 8 hrs straight, and he free plays. I was watching him play (because psychologists suggest free play -- not constant play with mama). After doing the household chores and gardening chores, I was pretty much work-free from oh. . . 10 am onwards.

BORING.

So, i went back to work. :) YAY! Fun! :) Makes our schedule rough sometimes, but it's still awesome.

puglogic
1-30-12, 6:14pm
It would be great to have a unifying idea that isn't fear-based/war-based, for sure.

What does it take to get a unifying idea in the iPad Era?

How about "let's develop ways so we can all have energy to power our lives before we all kill each other over the little dribble of oil we have left?" That would get my vote, even if it came from Newt.

But it's not titillating enough. Ensuring a good life for our descendents is such a buzz kill. We need to go to another planet (while this one eats itself alive) to bring everyone together?

ApatheticNoMore
1-30-12, 6:36pm
How about "let's develop ways so we can all have energy to power our lives before we all kill each other over the little dribble of oil we have left?"

+1 That's what I think too, what's wrong with preserving and restoring this planet as a grand vision? (if you need one) At this point that actually won't be an easy task. What's wrong with a good life on earth as a vision?

But it's not titillating enough. Ensuring a good life for our descendents is such a buzz kill. We need to go to another planet (while this one eats itself alive) to bring everyone together?

:) A bit tired of these grand visions period, war is a force that gives us meaning and all that. But seriously some cooperation is needed on the state of the planet (yes this planet earth) right now.

Zoebird
1-30-12, 7:23pm
I think it's a great idea. To have free, renewable, non-polluting power that everyone can have access to. Awesome. :)

Gregg
1-31-12, 2:40pm
I think it's a great idea. To have free, renewable, non-polluting power that everyone can have access to. Awesome. :)

We already have it. All we really need to do is develop technology to store it overnight.

Zoebird
1-31-12, 4:17pm
Gregg,

Right. So lets focus on that instead of war and space (though space is cool), and also perhaps on cleaning up our messes around here (that would be good) as our next technological development, and then from there, we might be able to manage a space colony. Cuz I don't think we can manage a space colony without those two technologies first anyway. OH, and how to manage, maintain, clean, etc an artificial atmosphere. That one may not be so easy, but IDK.

I'm very curious, btw, about methane = power from composting in germany (among others). Fascinating stuff. Definitely useful on space colonies.

peggy
1-31-12, 4:52pm
We already have it. All we really need to do is develop technology to store it overnight.

++1 :cool: