PDA

View Full Version : Kalidescope quilt

Nella
1-31-12, 11:37am
Just took a quilting class this weekend on how to make a Kalidescope quilt. You use one basic fabric with a large, bold, interesting graphic print, and due to the way you cut the 60 degree triangle pieces, each block comes out looking different. Most are very different from each other. I think this kind of quilt is sometimes called a "one block wonder." I get kind of bored part of the way into most of my quilt projects because I know what it's going to look like when I get finished, but with this quilt every block is a surprise, and you never really know until the block is finished just what it's going to look like. I'm pretty jazzed about it. Can you tell?! Any of you other quilters out there ever made a quilt like this?

sweetana3
1-31-12, 1:35pm
Got the book, got the material, have not yet started it. Have seen several finished and they are great. They all come out looking different.

Stack and Whack is similiar and uses the one fabric to make a variety of looks for the same block.

razz
1-31-12, 4:18pm
Love the look of quilts, took some classes but decided that I have enough UFO's as it is including a quilt. Quilt shows are one of my favourite sites to visit and the local fair has a phenomenal competition. It is hard to pick a winner due to the high quality.

JaneV2.0
2-1-12, 8:59pm
I haven't, but I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product. I get bored easily too, so I tend toward miniature quilts and samplers--or swap blocks--when I actually quilt.

sweetana3
2-1-12, 9:11pm
If you get bored quickly, this is a pretty boring sewing job. It looks great done but I watched one woman sewing and ironing and she spent the whole retreat and got little done. The quilt I saw had one sized piece and then it was cut and sewn into rows. Tedious.

I once did a huge quilt with 110 stars. Some big and some small but all the same basic design. I did 100 and could not do more so I substituted "Blue Heaven" for some of the stars in the border.