PDA

View Full Version : February No-Spend Days

Nella
1-31-12, 11:41am
Ready for February's No-Spend days?

I did pretty well on my January challenge of 15 no-spend days, but it was a bit of a stretch so I think I'll just leave mine at 15.

Anybody else in?

leslieann
1-31-12, 2:14pm
Yes, I am in. I accidentally discovered that I have been "doing" no spend days but not paying much attention. I think I could do a better job if I would....yes, pay attention! I don't know whether to set a goal or just to aim for as many as I can. I think that ten would be a good start.

Right now I am sick and not getting out at all, so the beginning of the month should be easy!

babr
1-31-12, 5:03pm
i will jump in next month! had two days this week so far; feb. starts tommorow!

folkypoet
1-31-12, 5:11pm
Thinking about it.... Maybe a goal of 15? Sounds do-able. :o)

folkypoet
2-1-12, 4:57pm
Okay, so today wasn't one of the 15. Hubby had to buy postage to ship out coins he sold on eBay. He'll have to do one more tomorrow (the person hasn't paid yet), but I think I'll go ahead and count that with today's. So, hopefully, tomorrow will be a no-spender.

Nella
2-1-12, 5:02pm
Okay, so today wasn't one of the 15. Hubby had to buy postage to ship out coins he sold on eBay. He'll have to do one more tomorrow (the person hasn't paid yet), but I think I'll go ahead and count that with today's. So, hopefully, tomorrow will be a no-spender.If I spend money on buiness expenses, I don't consider that a "spend" day. I figure it's part of my income expenses, not my personal expenses. Great thing about this challenge though is that you set your own parameters.

early morning
2-2-12, 11:01pm
Ok, I'm trying for 10. Didn't quite make it last month! Yesterday was a no spend - a good way to start the month. Oh - wait - I bought a bag of chips for a student's birthday.... nevermind.

DarkStar
2-3-12, 5:30am
I'm in. I think I can make 15. Saturday and Sunday should be no-spend days. Possibly today as well, if I decide not to go to EarthFare and use the coupons for free stuff that I got (But I do have to buy $10 worth of stuff to use them.).

folkypoet
2-3-12, 10:50am
If I spend money on buiness expenses, I don't consider that a "spend" day. I figure it's part of my income expenses, not my personal expenses. Great thing about this challenge though is that you set your own parameters.

I like this idea, so I think I'll steal it. ;o) Anyway, the buyers pay extra for the shipping, so.... That means I'm up to 2 no-spend days so far. We'll see if I can't make this 3.

leslieann
2-3-12, 1:13pm
Wednesday was ONE. Thursday was not and today isn't going to be, either, unless I can really justify this evening's drink at the wine bar with colleagues as a business expense. But at least I have ONE!

biblioman
2-3-12, 10:37pm
So do both my partner and I have to not spend in order for it to count? I didn't spend anything today, but, well, the babysitter kind of likes to get paid at the end of the week. I think I could hit 10 pretty easily. Maybe 15 if I try. I'd think 10 would be a good number for my partner.

Nella
2-4-12, 5:23pm
So do both my partner and I have to not spend in order for it to count? I didn't spend anything today, but, well, the babysitter kind of likes to get paid at the end of the week. I think I could hit 10 pretty easily. Maybe 15 if I try. I'd think 10 would be a good number for my partner.You get to decide if it's both of you or just what you can actually control - that'd be just you then. I know that's all I can control!

catherine
2-4-12, 5:56pm
I love the idea, and I'm going to be following you guys... but I typically do a Lenten challenge, and my challenge this Lent is going to be to do a no-spend Lent.

lhamo turned me on to Early Retirement Extreme, and I've also been a longtime admirer of Jim Merkel, so I'm going to try to replicate a "living below $9000 a year." I can't really do that, because I live in a house with a mortgage (and a HEL and student loans for DD, etc.), but I can at least segregate those expenses and pretend that I own my home. I can also assume that I'm not about to cancel my $1200 health insurance. And I also am not going to cancel expenses I need as a consultant (like my iPhone).

So, it's kind of cheating, I know, but someday I really want to live in a Tumbleweed House or a Clayton iHouse, so I can pretend and at the same time, cut my discretionary expenses to as low as I can.

Lent is a fun 46 days to try these kinds of challenges. Because of Lent, I've stopped eating a lot of sugar (from when I gave up sugar for Lent). I've also started eating closer to how we are meant to eat (after giving up high fructose corn syrup for Lent and traveling around New Jersey to find sustainable farms and farmers markets). I've also gone deeper into myself (after leaving DH for 6 weeks to live in a "poustinia").

This year, I want to see how low I can go with spending. So, I'll be looking to you "no-spend" folks for inspiration.

folkypoet
2-4-12, 8:58pm
Friday was a no-spend, but today most certainly wasn't. Laundry, haircut and Chinese for lunch. :o) So, 3 out of 4.

Nella
2-5-12, 1:21pm
Well, we've been snowed in here for the last three days. So I've got three on the books for a good start to the month. If I can get out tomorrow I'm going to try not to go too crazy with the wallet!

DarkStar
2-5-12, 4:37pm
Today was a no spend day - first this month. I'd planned to spend nothing yesterday, too, but forgot I needed to do laundry. Still, that was the only money I spent. Kind of a mini-spend day.

reader99
2-5-12, 5:50pm
I love the idea, and I'm going to be following you guys... but I typically do a Lenten challenge, and my challenge this Lent is going to be to do a no-spend Lent.

lhamo turned me on to Early Retirement Extreme, and I've also been a longtime admirer of Jim Merkel, so I'm going to try to replicate a "living below $9000 a year." I can't really do that, because I live in a house with a mortgage (and a HEL and student loans for DD, etc.), but I can at least segregate those expenses and pretend that I own my home. I can also assume that I'm not about to cancel my $1200 health insurance. And I also am not going to cancel expenses I need as a consultant (like my iPhone).

So, it's kind of cheating, I know, but someday I really want to live in a Tumbleweed House or a Clayton iHouse, so I can pretend and at the same time, cut my discretionary expenses to as low as I can.

Lent is a fun 46 days to try these kinds of challenges. Because of Lent, I've stopped eating a lot of sugar (from when I gave up sugar for Lent). I've also started eating closer to how we are meant to eat (after giving up high fructose corn syrup for Lent and traveling around New Jersey to find sustainable farms and farmers markets). I've also gone deeper into myself (after leaving DH for 6 weeks to live in a "poustinia").

This year, I want to see how low I can go with spending. So, I'll be looking to you "no-spend" folks for inspiration.

where is the living below $9 k discussed? I'd love to try that. I'm close already. probably have to get rid of the car to get below $9k

folkypoet
2-6-12, 3:28pm
Yesterday and today were both spend-days. Yesterday, we hit the natural grocery shop for the things we couldn't get at the normal grocery, and today I found a few things for my little one's bday coming up this weekend (he'll be 14!). So, 3 out of 6.

early morning
2-6-12, 9:26pm
One! I finally got one on Sunday! No drive day, too. Today should have been a no-spend, but DH drank all the milk and wanted me to stop and get some on the way home *sigh*. Oh well, no point sighing over spent milk. I know tomorrow won't be a no-spend - maybe Wednesday!

Rosemary
2-6-12, 9:36pm
At least 3 no-spend days in the past week. Today was no-drive as well, and I got a lot done at home.

JaneV2.0
2-6-12, 10:58pm
I've had three in a row. I think that's a record.

lizii
2-7-12, 3:09am
Why do people need to shop every day? Why don't you make a shopping list and just buy the items on it?

The way I shop is to make a shopping list to take with me, and only buy the items I've listed...it's so easy to buy whatever I need until the next week.

Rosemary
2-7-12, 7:54am
Lizii, for me it's not so much 'shopping.' I am looking at all spending. So, for instance, the day last week that the arborist came to do some necessary trimming on our very tall trees, was not a no-spend day.

I also shop from a list. But I do tend to shop around for best deals on groceries, so I don't just have one day/week that I shop - when I'm in a particular area and the store is convenient, I'll run in and get what I need.

folkypoet
2-7-12, 11:30am
I also shop from a list. But I do tend to shop around for best deals on groceries, so I don't just have one day/week that I shop - when I'm in a particular area and the store is convenient, I'll run in and get what I need.

Same here.

early morning
2-7-12, 7:52pm
lizzi, Of course I make a list and shop from it! But I do it as Rosemary noted, and pick up some things when I'm in a specific area. And, as she said, it's not all shopping - which I hate! There are also utility bills to pay, gas for the car, and things my mother needs that I didn't know about. Dr. appointments w/co-pays - DH has a lot of those. And today I hadn't planned to buy anything, but my aunt took us out to lunch, unannounced, so I paid the tip. That makes it a spend day for me. If I only counted "shopping" days, I would have almost none - I send my DD out for groceries whenever possible!

folkypoet
2-8-12, 10:38am
4 out of 7 so far. :o)

leslieann
2-8-12, 4:57pm
Well, yesterday I went to the doc and then to the pharmacy for medicine, so that day was shot. The day before I got some groceries and filled up the gas tank so I could make it to the doctor on Tuesday. But Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were certainly no spend days. So I guess I am doing pretty well so far: four out of eight.

I have just finished work and really want to get out of the house and GO SHOPPING. This is quite unusual for me. So remembering that so far, this has been a no spend day makes it easier to just stay at home.

I did buy magnets for the business but then we decided that business expenses are not what I am "no spending" on.

DarkStar
2-9-12, 7:48am
I've had three out of eight so far. I'm hoping to rack up more no-spend days this weekend.

folkypoet
2-9-12, 10:38am
5/8

:o)

folkypoet
2-9-12, 8:44pm
6/9

early morning
2-10-12, 7:35pm
woohoo, managed to get another no-spend on Wednesday, that's 2 for the month.. Oh well...

folkypoet
2-10-12, 8:47pm
Woo!! 7/10! Tomorrow will be a spend-day - taking the kiddo to lunch for his birthday and then going bowling. :o)

Nella
2-10-12, 8:52pm
So far I've got six, but that's probably because we've had snowstorms that have kept me from even leaving the house. Next week is going to be a challenge though. If I can manage to get four no-spend days next week, then I'll think I can probably meet my goal for the month.

leslieann
2-14-12, 10:40am
Monday, yesterday, was a no spend. Sunday was a no spend. But Saturday....well, I spent so much then that these two days were practically required...I am up to five. I realized in my last post I over reported....thought it was a different day. But i think I am accurate in saying I am 5 for 14. Not great but not too bad. I could easily spend more if I were not thinking about it.

folkypoet
2-14-12, 11:56am
Spent on Saturday (kiddo's bday) and Sunday (groceries), but not Monday. So, 8/13. We might go out to eat for Valentine's Day tonight....

Nella
2-14-12, 3:40pm
Up to 9 so far this month. That's not bad, but not something I think I can sustain. We had snowstorms the first week of the month, then the last three days I've been sick in bed, so while one could be excited about 9 no spend days out of the 14 days of the month so far, I'm reserving any celebration until the end of the month. We'll see how I do by then!

DarkStar
2-14-12, 7:28pm
Friday, Sunday, and today were more no spend days. I think that's six for the month so far.

early morning
2-14-12, 10:02pm
Monday was a no spend - finally - up to three! This has NOT been a good year for us so far!

early morning
2-19-12, 3:16pm
Another no spend on Friday, and I am pretty sure today will be one also. If so - that will be 5 - halfway to my goal! I don't know if I can get 5 more - that would be half of the days left, and tomorrow is a planned spending day.

leslieann
2-19-12, 3:32pm
Wednesday was no-spend. Friday was a no spend. Thursday, Saturday and today....whew. I seem to concentrate all my spendingn on the weekend and I am not watching myself the way I usually do....not sure what that's about. Maybe winter. Maybe being sick and finally getting a little bit better. Maybe just self indulgence but it WILL catch up with me. (I am talking about overspending for groceries here, and last weekend I bought wine AND I spend ten bucks on cosmetics, products I have not used for about eight years but for some reason, decided I needed.....maybe it is time for a therapy session....).

So seven out of 19. But I think I am actually overspending on my spend days. Maybe, though, it just seems that way. I am NOT buying coffee or food out of the house, not buying household items (trying to declutter), not buying books (my nemesis). But I do seem to be spending a bunch of money. sigh.....

Nella
2-19-12, 8:27pm
6/9You're on a roll!

Nella
2-19-12, 8:31pm
Just need three more no-spend days to meet my goal this month and I've got almost two weeks to make that happen. This may be the first month I actually make it! I've found that being sick for several weeks and not leaving my house for days on end makes this challenge much easier. Okay, that's tongue-in-cheek, but that really is why I've gotten as far on this challenge this month. Here's hoping March will be as successful for better reasons!

folkypoet
2-21-12, 3:15pm
As of yesterday, 12/20. Laundry night tonight. Goodbye, quarters. ;o)

folkypoet
2-21-12, 3:17pm
Just need three more no-spend days to meet my goal this month and I've got almost two weeks to make that happen. This may be the first month I actually make it! I've found that being sick for several weeks and not leaving my house for days on end makes this challenge much easier.

Woohoo!

early morning
2-21-12, 6:50pm
today I spent NO money, yay - that's 6!

lhamo
2-22-12, 6:12am
Not a no spend day, but I did have a 100% commute by public transit day, and it didn't make me as miserable as I thought it might., DH left this morning on his first business trip since we hired a new helper. We used to have our helper come in early and take the kids to school on the days when DH was travelling, so that I could still make it to the office by my usual 7am start time. But we had a hard time finding someone who was willing to split up the shift like that, so we decided that instead we would try having the new person stay later on the days when DH travels, and I will take the kids to school and come home later. It is almost impossible to get taxis during rush hour, and you end up spending a ton because you are inevitibly stuck in traffic, and sometimes it ends up being even slower than public transit, so I decided to see how long it would take to do it both directions by bus/subway combo (bus alone is unfeasible as they get stuck in traffic for large sections of the commute, too). So this morning I dropped the kids off at school at 8:15 and managed to get to the office by 9:35, which included an extra 10 minute wait at a bus stop that ended up not having any buses coming by (walked 5 minutes to another one). Coming home I left at 4:30 (I had worked more than an hour at home in the morning so could still leave a little before rush hour) and was home by 6:00, including a stop along the way to get some ID photos taken and pick up some fruit.

Entire commute cost me a whopping $0.87. Taxis both ways during rush hour probably would be closer to $15-20. Kaching!

I will not choose this approach for commuting under normal circumstances, but at least I know it is workable for going back and forth during rush hour. Just have to take along a hefty dose of patience and lots of stuff to listen to on the ipod.

lhamo

folkypoet
2-22-12, 11:17am
Laundry was pushed to tonight. So, 13/22! :o)

Nella
2-22-12, 6:38pm
Entire commute cost me a whopping $0.87. Taxis both ways during rush hour probably would be closer to $15-20. Kaching!lhamoKaching indeed! If you used public transport just two days a week you could be saving upwards of $30 a week, or $120 a month. That would be nice little "pay raise." Sounds like you did some excellent problem solving with your childcare dilema.

early morning
2-22-12, 7:16pm
7!!! I may make my goal after all!

folkypoet
2-27-12, 10:16am
After the weekend, I'm at 14/26. :o)

early morning
2-28-12, 8:23pm
Sunday was my 8th no-spend day. DD is sick (w/no insurance) so I picked her up some OTC stuff yesterday, and forgot to fill up my tank. So, had to do that this AM. It was actually cheaper this morning, but killed my chances to get 10 no-spends this month, although I SHOULD have one tomorrow, to finish the month!

folkypoet, great job!

Nella
2-29-12, 2:14pm
Just barely squeeked out my goal number of no-spend days this month. Whew!!

leslieann
2-29-12, 3:48pm
Sunday, Monday and (hopefully) today are no spends.....so that brings me up to eight out of 29. I thought I would do better; I have to pay more attention. Tomorrow is another month! We ate out Friday and Saturday; I think I had two other no-spends last week but can't be certain (can you tell that I am a lousy tracker of my cash spending?). I work out of my house and some days I just don't go anywhere that I could spend money, so that makes this a bit easier than it might otherwise be. But I don't pay too much attention to it, even though my participation in this thread was supposed to help me with that.

early morning
2-29-12, 11:10pm
Managed to make today no-spend, even though my day did not go as planned - so 9 for Feb instead of 10. For me, not bad, lol.

folkypoet
3-1-12, 10:10am
Well, I ended up at 15/29, so I *just* made my goal. Not bad, though, considering we're moving out-of-state on Saturday, and we've been having to get ready for that.... :o)

leslieann
3-1-12, 10:30am
Wow, folkypoet, pretty amazing. And getting ready to move, too. Good luck with the move!

Tiam
3-1-12, 11:26am
February is over. My annual taxes are HIGH! So, I must buckle down for March!