PDA

View Full Version : I Decluttered my Hair

Fawn
2-3-12, 10:16am
OK. I tried to copy the photos from my computer, but I can't figure out how to do it without wasting the morning...so if you want to see, you'll have to go to my blog.

catherine
2-3-12, 10:24am
Wow! First of all LOL at the "decluttering your hair"...

I looked at the pics--you are one brave lady!! But it looks like a really good job!! (From the back anyway). What a freeing thing to do.. Any cutter's remorse? Or are you thinking about all the time you're going to be saving?

Float On
2-3-12, 10:41am
What a change!

My haircare is actually decluttering because I'm growing mine long again (no flat iron or curling iron or style products or hairdryer needed - just wash every few days scrunch up the curls and air dry). So are you you going to continue to trim it at home now that it is super short or will you have to go in for regular maintenance trims?

I use to work with a lady that wore super short, spiky beautiful gray hair. She decided to grow it out again and I just couldn't get use to her having so much hair; the short spikes seemed so alive and free.

Fawn
2-3-12, 10:54am
No remorse.

My plan is to grow it out to about shoulder length at its natural color. I think I won't need a trim for several months. No irons, no hair dryers, just a little gel to make it behave.

leslieann
2-3-12, 1:06pm
Its great. Not being a slave to colouring is wonderful. You did a good job!

mtnlaurel
2-3-12, 1:27pm
Holy Cow - that looks like fun!
What did it feel like to just go nuts with those scissors on your own hair?
It looks great!

redfox
2-3-12, 1:40pm
Gorgeous! I have waist-length grey hair, and am always hearing from people how beautiful it is. Many women have commented to me that I am brave to let it be grey... Nope! It's pure simplicity. I am a lazy bum, and coloring my hair is nearly last on my list.

I predit that you will LOVE your grey hair as it grows out! Congrats!!

Acorn
2-3-12, 2:07pm
Fawn, your new hair looks beautiful. I love it.
I cut my own hair, and like Float On, minimalized the maintenance by letting it grow out. When it becomes too bothersome then either I trim it or have my husband do it.

Redfox, I love long grey hair. There is something rebellious about it. Those pronouncements about women of a certain age not having long hair really bother me. And resisting the pressure to look young by coloring your hair, well, the combination of the two things seem pleasantly non-conformist to me. :)

Spartana
2-3-12, 3:23pm
Wow fawn!! I'm impressed. Looks cute and punky and very youthful. I'm pretty much had waist lenght hair all my life (photo on the "hair" thread on the open board) and have cut it short before (chin lenght) and will again (shoulder lenght) but am always impressed when people make drastic changes like you did. Very freeing!!

jania
2-3-12, 8:28pm
Fawn, congratulations on taking the plunge and freeing yourself of dyeing your hair. Be patient as this new look grows out, you might find you need to visit your stylist a little more frequently at first to keep things looking good but eventually that will not be necessary. I get a trim every 6 months, keeping my natural color and the length just a little below the shoulders. I love simple, uncluttered hair. Hope you enjoy it!

cattledog
2-4-12, 8:13am
Wow! That's quite a change! I like simpler hair too. It's so much easier. I'm starting to get a lot of gray hair. Some days I am tempted to dye it, but have resisted so far. I think mostly because I can't imagine I'd ever keep up with the maintenance.

Simpler at Fifty
2-4-12, 9:40am
I just shared your story with my stylist. I had read it on your blog earlier in the week. You are very brave but I am not surprised that you did part of the cut yourself. Your blog is inspirational to me and this is one more story I can share at work about 'my friend that writes a blog'.

Jemima
2-4-12, 10:47am
You've given me the courage to go on! I retired at the beginning of last September and was determined to let my gray hair come in. So far I've caved twice, once with permanent dye and this last time with temporary dye. I've also started cutting my own hair and bought two wigs to cover what I think is the unattractive look of white roots growing out unevenly - very noticeable in medium brown hair, in fact it looks like I'm going bald in patches.

I was just debating whether or not to go to the hairdresser, but I think I'll take another shot at cutting it myself. Any tips from your experience?

Merski
2-4-12, 11:05am
Fawn your hair looks great! What a change!! Stopped highlighting my mousy brown hair a few years ago when my hours got cut so I couldn't see going out on a financial limb for it. Beside- my hair started to gray up but not fast enough for me! I'm turning 60 this year and it's still predominantly mousy brown. I did decide to make a change and let it grow out from a sort of toussled short do to give me enough to do an assymetrical cut which makes me feel younger. Hair stylist and I still need to tweak design but I like it. When it's all gray/white, I'll add streaks of color so I can be sort of a bad-ass lookin' senior citizen. Pardon my "french"!

Fawn
2-4-12, 8:33pm
Thanks all for the positive feedback.
@mtnlaurel-- oddly, there were few feelings, relief, I guess. I felt taller w/o the weight of my hair.
It does not feel brave to me. I have had my hair this short (or close to it) before, so I kinda knew what it was like. AND, it's just hair. Many of my patients have lost their hair to chemo or radiation and will never get it back before they die. Mine will grow back. I'm not dying. Yet.
@Simpler at Fifty--I love that you think of me as a friend that writes a blog. Thank you very much. I can not think of a nicer compliment.
@Jemima--I know this is not fair, but I am very blessed in that my hair is both very thick and very curly. It is possible to hack at it with a butcher knife, put some gel in it and look kinda cool (do not ask me how I know.) You will have your own level of comfort with your hair. I like different and edgy. This makes it easier for me to do things that other folks would be uncomfortable with. On the other hand---do not be afraid to experiment. Try different hair products, accessories (all the teen girls are wearing the elastic thing around their heads..not for me, but it may be for you....and my dear friend Becky--now 1+ month post chemo wears hats, wigs (she says her husband has a different woman every night) goes au nauturale during hot flashes, and is just the most amazing "this is what my life is now, damn-ain't-it-amusing-kind-of-person." I love her.
@Merski--the world needs way more "bad-ass" senior citizens. One of my favorite quotes, "Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woamn is uncontrollable by any earthly force." Dorothy Sayers

Let us be uncontrollable advanced older women. [Smirk]

reader99
2-4-12, 8:48pm
Let us be uncontrollable advanced older women - yes. I recognize that from the Peter Wimsey series - was it said of Peter's mom the Duchess? Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force. Sayers, Dorothy L. (http://quotationsbook.com/quotes/author/6462/) I had assumed she was quoting something literary, as she so often did, but searching indicates it was original.

My hair is long and wavy. I haven't had a haircut or used a hair product in 15 years. This week I noticed a subtle streak of what I choose to think of as silver about an inch back from my hairline. I like it. If the auburn will streak with silver and then gradually go silver or white all over, I'll be very happy with it.

iris lily
2-4-12, 9:30pm
This is a great thread, I'm enjoying it. Thanks, Fawn!

Merski
2-5-12, 8:57am
My first grey streak made me very happy because it matched my beloved Aunties' who chose to accept their hair color changes as a natural thing. I really felt like part of the family. Mom chose to color her dark brown hair til the day she died at 81. She thought it made her look younger but the stark contrast with her beautiful aged and wrinkled face looked pretty horrid...ah, but that was her choice....

mira
2-5-12, 11:25am
What a transformation!! As someone with long curly hair also, I know what a pain it can be. I hope your new 'do frees up all kinds of time for you to spend on other things!

Jemima
2-5-12, 12:28pm
@Jemima--I know this is not fair, but I am very blessed in that my hair is both very thick and very curly. It is possible to hack at it with a butcher knife, put some gel in it and look kinda cool (do not ask me how I know.) You will have your own level of comfort with your hair. I like different and edgy. This makes it easier for me to do things that other folks would be uncomfortable with. On the other hand---do not be afraid to experiment. Try different hair products, accessories (all the teen girls are wearing the elastic thing around their heads..not for me, but it may be for you....and my dear friend Becky--now 1+ month post chemo wears hats, wigs (she says her husband has a different woman every night) goes au nauturale during hot flashes, and is just the most amazing "this is what my life is now, damn-ain't-it-amusing-kind-of-person." I love her.

Many thanks for your advice. I also have thick, wavy hair, but unfortunately it's very fine-textured and has no body at all. I'm not quite daring enough - yet - to really chop it up and use heavy-duty gel, but I'm thinking about it.

One of my favorite quotes, "Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woamn is uncontrollable by any earthly force." Dorothy Sayers

Let us be uncontrollable advanced older women. [Smirk]

Love it. :D