PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening disposable razors

Gina
1-20-11, 3:34pm
I was looking up how to sharpen kitchen knives and came upon several videos about re-sharpening disposable razors.

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js&feature=related

rosarugosa
1-20-11, 8:09pm
Yes, as a matter of fact. I don't think that's a disposable razor, though. I've been doing this for a while, strop and dry the blade thoroughly. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but a blade does last me for months. Good thing too, since razor blades now seem to be more expensive than gold!

Greg44
1-20-11, 9:54pm
I use the cheapo cheapo disposable blades - and the last me for weeks if not months. I am down to my last razor in the cupboard -- so I am going to give this a try and report back!

Gregg
1-21-11, 10:12am
I've wondered about it, but haven't tried yet. I know there is a gismo sold on late night TV made for this, but don't know if it actually works. I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes Greg44.

Greg44
1-21-11, 12:40pm
Okay, 10 times each way on my Levis as shown. You know, I think it brought some life back into my razor, and I use the blue disposable cheapo cheapo razors. Not back to new but I didn't get the feeling standing in the shower - "crap, I forgot to buy some more razors" while shaving - as it tugs and pulls at my face! Any one else try it?

kib
1-21-11, 1:35pm
I'm guessing it mostly scrubs off the accumulation of soap and skin cells and little hairs that build up in there. Tried it, as well as drawing it across my knife sharpening stone a few times. Definitely seems sharper to me!

bae
1-21-11, 6:33pm
I just use a straight razor I bought 34 years ago, and a leather strop.

redfox
1-21-11, 9:26pm
I don't shave... though once or twice I did get my legs waxed. THAT was a cross-cultural experience...

kally
1-22-11, 2:36am
what is that green strop thing.