PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston obit

redfox
2-12-12, 2:11am
Very powerful piece of writing by the best. Ann Powers.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/02/11/146753502/whitney-houston-has-died

puglogic
2-12-12, 9:27am
Thank you for this, redfox. I do not consider Whitney Houston worthy of this degree of adulation, but it is indeed a powerful piece of writing, which I can appreciate. May she find the peace that she could never seem to find in life.

Mrs-M
2-12-12, 12:34pm
I'll never get some people. Stardom, financial freedom, yet for some reason they forget how to act human. Not to sound insensitive, but I really have a difficult time feeling any sort of sorrow for these types.

iris lily
2-12-12, 12:52pm
That girl had everything: long legs, beauty, The Voice.

redfox
2-12-12, 1:11pm
And she also had a terminal illness: addiction.

Mrs-M
2-12-12, 1:26pm
And she also had a terminal illness: addiction.This is what separates me from understanding and accepting such final outcomes, having never before been exposed to such progressive indisposition.

goldensmom
2-12-12, 1:40pm
She was a 'celebrity' but she was also someone's daughter, mother, sister and friend. She is deceased so I hope people can let it go and let her rest.

redfox
2-12-12, 1:55pm
I loved her music. When I was in my disco era, my young adulthood/early independence years, her songs were a big part of the rotation. I loved her voice. More than anything, and I feel the same about Amy Winehouse whose music I also like, it's terribly sad when addiction kills.

Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI

She was a chanteuse and torch song performer with a stunning voice. I love this interpretation of the Dolly Parton song.

Ok... Off to find my one CD of hers & dance while I clean the kitchen. Life is too short... Go have some fun!

chanterelle
2-12-12, 2:27pm
This is what separates me from understanding and accepting such final outcomes, having never before been exposed to such progressive indisposition.

Of course you have Mrs M, you were a smoker. Nicotine is a seriously addictive, damaging substance and you were very fortunate to have been able to stop smoking before your particular progressive indisposition did you serious harm.

Mrs-M
2-12-12, 2:51pm
Good point, Chanterelle. It's so easy to overlook the addictive qualities of tobacco, particularly when attempting to juxtapose a common point of interpretation related to one style of addictive abuse over another, expressly when the tobacco habit is more often than not (so it seems), perceived as being less malignant and terminal as hard drug use. The legalized factor being the reducer.

Greg44
2-12-12, 4:38pm
No one sang the National Anthem like she did at the Super Bowl - or sang Dolly Pardon's "I will always love you" as she did.

So sad, such a waste.

IshbelRobertson
2-12-12, 5:53pm
I don't know much about the woman, apart from those of her recordings which seemed to be played in lots of shops as background music. I liked her voice, but a little of it went a long way.

So sad that she died, at an early age, and appears to have abused the gift she was given.

RIP.

goldensmom
2-12-12, 5:53pm
No one sang the National Anthem like she did at the Super Bowl - or sang Dolly Pardon's "I will always love you" as she did.

So sad, such a waste.

I agree.

The Storyteller
2-22-12, 6:05pm
No one sang the National Anthem like she did at the Super Bowl - Didn't care for it.
or sang Dolly Pardon's "I will always love you" as she did.

That I liked.

I don't think average people like us really appreciate the difficulties of living the sort of lives these people live. That said, the only thing an artist of any sort owes us is the best of their art, and that she gave. Their personal lives are none of our business. I'm always amazed that people seem to think because someone is famous they have a right to judge them.

catherine
2-22-12, 7:18pm
Having had multiple relatives who died from the horrendous disease of substance abuse, what I see is that most of these souls are victims of their own demons and have two selves--and their wonderful, talented selves would do anything to free themselves from their other half.

I live in NJ, and I heard the flack Christie got for lowering the flag to half mast for Whitney Houston and people were deriding the choice to "honor a drug addict." Some people will see sinner; others will see fallen angel. I prefer to consider people like my father and Whitney Houston to be "angels with dirty faces," whose sins are exposed to all on the outside as opposed to those of us who can conveniently hide them; and whose brokenness should in no way diminish their gifts. I think Whitney Houston had an amazing voice, and millions were touched by it, and that should speak for itself.

iris lily
2-22-12, 9:11pm
The disdain for Whitney Houston is understandable human nature--envy combined with disbelief. How can anybody with everything abuse it so? But me--I wouldn't want the trappings and the pressure of that Hollywood lifestyle and the expectations that come with a strong career in the limelight, or even a fading one, but I would like those long legs!

JaneV2.0
2-22-12, 9:49pm
She was talented and lovely, but I still like Dolly's version best.

puglogic
2-22-12, 9:51pm
She was talented and lovely, but I still like Dolly's version best.

me too

Wildflower
2-22-12, 11:11pm
My parents were and my sister is an addict. I know it's not what they wanted for their lives, and I've seen the pain they lived and the pain they caused.... I have nothing but empathy for them and am grateful that I have been lucky enough to escape the same fate considering the family genes involvement....

I was never a Whitney fan, but I feel for her daughter - I know she must be devastated.

And I agree, Dolly Parton's version is the best.

redfox
2-22-12, 11:29pm
... but I would like those long legs!

+ a million and a half!

Zoebird
2-23-12, 6:08pm
Having had multiple relatives who died from the horrendous disease of substance abuse, what I see is that most of these souls are victims of their own demons and have two selves--and their wonderful, talented selves would do anything to free themselves from their other half.

This is so true. I wish people also understood that a person can honestly hold this opinion of someone as well.

My SIL is an addict. I don't know if she is currently active, but I also know that she isn't getting treatment or going to meetings (when I last spoke to her anyway). Her boyfriend (on/off) is an active addict.

Both of these people are really nice, talented people. I wish they could shake the addiction and get on with their lives!

But my ILs always say "we know you don't like Boyfriend!" And it's like "No, I like boyfriend. It's his behavior (addiction) that is the problem."

I feel the same way about famous folks. It's sad.

puglogic
2-23-12, 7:24pm
Immediately after my sisters died, I wondered why I was just deeply saddened rather than devastated. I discovered that it was because I had mourned them for a long time already. So deeply into their substance abuse long-term, with addiction holding them its death grip, statistically there is only a very small possibility that we'll ever get the beautiful, talented, funny, brilliant friend/lover/family member back. (We can always have hope, but the odds are sadly against them) I had grieved my loss of my wonderful siblings long before their bodies died. I feel the same way about some celebrities who die -- I "let them go" long before their life ended, rather than take a front row seat to the slow-motion suicide that is addiction.

Zoebird
2-23-12, 8:08pm
Yes, true, puglogic. the loss happens well before death, i feel.