PDA

View Full Version : Chick Day

Float On
2-15-12, 9:49am
Got a call at 6 a.m. from the post office to come pick up my noisy box. I ordered 10 to be delivered this week (they sent 20 - the roos they added to the box they shave the back of the neck) and I have at least 20 more coming next week.
:cool:

jania
2-15-12, 10:13am
Just call me jealous!

treehugger
2-15-12, 12:01pm
Fun! I remember babysitting a boxfull of chicks for my aunt when I was a kid. That *was* a noisy box. But cute. Our cat hid under a bed for the entire weekend until the chicks went to their new home. :D

Please keep us updated on their progress. Pictures would be good, too.

Kara

leslieann
2-15-12, 12:21pm
So, FloatOn, you are doing the chicken experiment again? These are not layers, right? I remember (mostly because I am so impressed) that you took your chicks from practically the egg to the table last year. I am so far from doing that but I have a LOT of respect for you for doing it.

Not sure how you manage to eat something that used to be cute. But I've done it with vegetables.

Do they get to go in the coop right away? Or do you house them with you for awhile? See, I am fascinated by the process but I am also pretty sure I don't want to experience it directly...thanks so much for posting.

Float On
2-15-12, 12:59pm
Most of these will be layers. The roos they added to the order will end up on the table (unless the fox or coons get them first).
I ordered 2 each of Rhode Island Red, Barred rock, Silver Wyandotte, Ameraucana, and Production Black. They added in 10 roos (to keep the box warm in transit). the roos we'll process and add to the freezer. I don't want to annoy the neighbors with that kind of noise.

In the past I've bought pullets from a friend so this is the first time I've gotten them this tiny (day old). I have them set up in a corner of the studio in a big box with a heat lamp. They need the heat for several weeks and depending on the weather I hope to move them to a hen house and run in 4 weeks or so.

The ones coming next week are strictly meat production chickens. Cornish. They grow very quickly and I can start processing in 6 weeks.

I added a photo to my album.

Mrs-M
2-15-12, 1:10pm
Originally posted by Leslieann.
Not sure how you manage to eat something that used to be cute. But I've done it with vegetables.ROTFLMAO!

I love the magical way you have about you when it comes to the way you phrase and word your posts. The balance you incorporate into the structure is perfect. It helps me create mental images and pictures when I read through, and somehow, almost makes it seem as though I'm watching the post, instead of reading it.

Mrs-M
2-15-12, 1:17pm
They sure are cute, Float On. I'd be in and out of the box (all day long), playing with them and petting them if they were mine.

treehugger
2-15-12, 1:18pm
I looked at your photo. I love all their different colors. Chickens look so wildly different as chicks and as grownups, so it will be fun to see pics of them at different stages.

Kara

CathyA
2-15-12, 2:33pm
FloatOn.....may I ask where you ordered them from? I got mine almost 9 years ago from Cackle Hatchery, because they were about the only place that would send 15. There's only 5 left and they will be 9 years old in June! I don't think I'll get any more eggs from them. Having them as pets and keeping them healthy and safe has been alot of work. Even though I love having them, I'm not sure I'll do it again, since it appears to be at least a 10 year "sentence". haha
When mine arrived, I was expecting a couple to be dead, but they were all alive and peeping strong! They gave me 2 extras, which turned out to be pullets also.
Did you have to accept the 10 extra roos? I don't know what I'd do with that many, since I don't butcher.
I would love to have some Marans. Their eggs are dark chocolate in color. Now if we could find hens that lay dark chocolate, I'd gladly order more. haha
Have fun with yours!

Float On
2-15-12, 2:39pm
I ordered from http://www.idealpoultry.com they do small orders and you can order only pullets which is what I did, but on small orders they add in the extras for some warmth in the box. I guess you could give away the extra on craigslist (or sell them). They do have the Marans and I'd like to try those sometime too. My order for 10 pullets came to $37.18 beccause I had a small order ($7 extra) and shipping on a quarter box was $5. Most were around $2.50 each. the Ameraucana were $2.73 because they lay blue or green. I think the Marans were $3 or so.

CathyA
2-15-12, 4:26pm
I had 6 Ameracaunas (but they are really "easter eggers" since they are hybrids)........and loved the various green/blue green eggs they laid. Some of them laid plain olive-colored eggs but a couple of them laid beautiful blue/green ones. They always seemed to have bigger yolks too.
Of my Buff Orpingtons, Australorps and the easter eggers, they had the most personality. They also seemed to have less health problems than the others.

shadowmoss
2-15-12, 5:09pm
Chick Day????!!!??? How politically incorrect! Women are not chi...err (reads first post) ummm, baby chickens, how cute.

/shadowmoss gets off her feminist soapbox

I loves baby chicks (of the feathered variety)

Really, the above was what I first thought. :)

Channeling Rosanne Rosanadana "Nevermind..."

leslieann
2-15-12, 5:34pm
Me, too, shadowmoss, initially.....hehehe....Mrs. M., thanks for the compliment.

The chicks are adorable....lovely little baby things. I didn't know rooster babies were called roos.....boy, do I learn a lot from these forums!

Float On
2-15-12, 5:54pm
leslieann, I don't know if that's the official name for them but when they are first learning to crow and running around thinking they are mister tough guy the title 'roo' just seems to fit.

shadowmoss - you make me laugh. ;)

Float On
2-15-12, 5:58pm
CathyA, I've had (and currently have) the Ameracaunas as well as Buff Orpington. I've had several that laid green but never got one to lay blue yet. Thought I'd give some other breeds a try as well. My youngest son really wishes I'd ordered a few polish but for as pretty as they are they are not the best egg layers.

CathyA
2-15-12, 6:43pm
My buff orps were always so sweet. Unfortunately, they seemed to get various problems more.......maybe because they were so big. They've all died over the years, but they were sure sweethearts.

The Storyteller
2-22-12, 1:51pm
Baby roosters are called cokcerels (purposely misspelled to bypass the over aggressive censor software of this site). Roo is just short for rooster.

Float on, we are doing real meat birds for the first time this spring. We have done Freedom Rangers in the past, and there are always the DP roosters, but this year we are doing Cornish Rock Cross. Ordering soon for the first part of April.

Float On
2-22-12, 7:14pm
I lost 5 the first night. It's expected to lose a few after their transport. They'll add the replacements with my friends order which should arrive tomorrow. The other 15 are growing and strong.

My parents were here for a quick visit and dad helped me build a 2nd coop.
I'll probably get my meat chickens (cornish) in a few weeks. My friend has a better set up for little chicks.
Now if I could just add rabbits and a few goats.....

Float On
2-28-12, 7:43am
Picked up my 12 cornish meat chickens and more of the same breeds of pullets. I had asked for 25 cornish this time but my friend ended up thinking I wanted only 12 which works out ok since I have so many little roos in that first order - I've got the work cut out for me starting in 6 weeks!
Last night I moved the first batch from a big box in the studio into the new coop. Checked them at 4:30 this morning and everyone did well thru the cool night. I moved a light into the coop for a warm corner.