PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the series finale of "Medium"?

CathyA
1-22-11, 12:27pm
I'm bummed. I thought this was a smart, interesting show, but they're taking it off the air, and leaving other junk on.
I've watched this show since its beginning 7 years ago. It was a great sample of a good family, full of love and support. They made every episode interesting.
I was totally depressed by the final show. I think we were supposed to feel happy at the end, but it made me really sad.
Anyone else?

iris lily
1-22-11, 5:16pm
I got home from a late night at work and DH was on the sofa, tearing up. I wanted to talk to him but was not allowed due to his need to watch the last 7 minutes of Medium.
I saw the blond chick die and reunite with her husband. I didn't see much before that.

I kinda liked this show, it wasn't a favorite, but it wasn't totally awful. The female lead had such an interesting sort of "downer" way about her, she wasn't the usual chipper HOllywood airhead, that's for sure.

Wildflower
1-23-11, 4:44am
I did and it left me feeling tearful and sad. I'm very disappointed that they ended this series so abruptly. I will miss the Dubois family very much. They were a wonderful and realistic role model for all families IMOHO.

CathyA
1-23-11, 9:06am
It really bothered me that the writers thought we wouldn't think about the 47 years she spent without Joe. And it bothered me that she died in the nursing home alone. What harm would there have been to just let the series end, with us viewers thinking they were still a happy family? I would love to ask the writers why they chose to be so morbid with the final show. It seems like it will affect people even wanting to watch any reruns that might be out there. Poor Joe......he had to put up being sleep-deprived all the time, and then they give him an awful ending too. Anyhow.....I was very disappointed with the writers.
Oh.....and did we even know ahead of time that he was going on that trip?

Sad Eyed Lady
1-23-11, 9:53am
It really bothered me that the writers thought we wouldn't think about the 47 years she spent without Joe. And it bothered me that she died in the nursing home alone. What harm would there have been to just let the series end, with us viewers thinking they were still a happy family? I would love to ask the writers why they chose to be so morbid with the final show. It seems like it will affect people even wanting to watch any reruns that might be out there. Poor Joe......he had to put up being sleep-deprived all the time, and then they give him an awful ending too. Anyhow.....I was very disappointed with the writers.
Oh.....and did we even know ahead of time that he was going on that trip?

What? What? I stopped watching Medium a few years ago due to the fact that they had a couple of episodes that included cruelty to animals and I just can't take that. As a little girl once said about sad things, "it hurts my heart". Then when the government decided we all needed digital TV I couldn't get it any longer with my rabbit ears. So, when did they get old and die? Someone please feel me in as to this transition that I knew nothing about!

CathyA
1-23-11, 11:44am
The show started out with Joe being on a plane with other people (apparently coming back from some job-related thing). His plane had problems and went down in the ocean. Then it fast-forwarded 7 years, when Allison was a lawyer and was prosecuting a drug boss from Mexico. (Joe was presumed dead and the only daughter at home was Marie....who was about 14-15). The oldest daughter was a lawyer on the east coast and Bridgett was in college.
She and the children were upset that Joe didn't come back as a ghost.......which led Allison to believe he wasn't really dead yet.

Allison began having images that Joe had survived the crash and was living in Mexico. He had amnesia and was working for the same drug boss that Allison was prosecuting. He wasn't aware that he was a mule for this drug guy. He thought he was just a nice guy who he was running alot of errands for.
Long story short.......Allison cuts a deal with this drug guy, that he can be extradited back to Mexico, if he tells her exactly where her husband is.
She goes and finds him and its a tearful reunion........but just at that moment, Joe's voice is behind allison, and he tells her that he put all this in her mind so that she would realize that her life could still be worth living, without him.
Then she wakes up back in the morning of his crash and sees him in the doorway. She jumps up to run to him and he backs away....and she realizes that he's now a ghost. She sobs.

Then it fast-forwards 40 more years of her in a nursing home, eating soup. She's listening to a taped message from her great-grand daughter, who says they haven't seen her in a long time. She drops the device, and is dead. Then it shows the younger Allison looking at her dead body. Then she sees the younger Joe, and they kiss and hug in the hereafter. The end.
I just thought it was a horrible ending for such a wonderful show. :(

Sad Eyed Lady
1-23-11, 5:08pm
Thanks CathyA for updating me. Maybe I can find the episode online.

CathyA
1-23-11, 5:11pm
I've seen it on a number of sites, so I'm sure you can find the whole episode. Be sure to have some kleenex closeby!

Wildflower
1-24-11, 12:13am
Yes, I definitely think the writers owed us longterm viewers a better and happier ending.....

Azure
1-24-11, 9:54am
I had read something somewhere about the finale & it mentioned that Joe was working for a drug runner & I decided right then that I would not like the ending so I skipped it. And now I am really glad I did.

Overall I do think that the series depicted a real family dynamic much better than most shows. I liked that.

Nella
1-24-11, 12:31pm
I loved this series. One of the few programs that I watched. I'll second the disappointment I felt in watching the finale. For a series that had such inventive and clever writing, I thought the writers could have come up with something much more fitting than asking me to watch them kill off some of my favorite characters.

CathyA
1-26-11, 1:47pm
I'm going to keep thinking that it was just one of Allison's dreams and she's waking up to all being as it should be!

margerymermaid
1-26-11, 1:52pm
I saw that last episode and was disappointed too. I was an avid viewer of this show until it started to get much more violent/bloodthirsty. The one that stopped me from watching was when she dreamt she had no legs. It was so vivid that I couldn't get it out of my head for a long time, so I decided not to watch it for a while. But then I'm a total wimp when it comes to this kind of thing. The early episodes were more psychic focussed and less bloody. But occasionally I'd brave it and watch.... as I loved her character and the premise of the show. Yes, it was a sad ending and I didn't like it much. Really hope she's cast in something else good as I find her to be a fascinating actress.

Wildflower
1-26-11, 10:55pm
Really hope she's cast in something else good as I find her to be a fascinating actress.

Me too. And I loved Jake Weber (Joe) as well. I thought he was the "perfect" husband - I used to wish he was my husband somedays. :) I hope to see both of them again in the near future. They are wonderful actors.

Wildflower
1-26-11, 10:57pm
I'm going to keep thinking that it was just one of Allison's dreams and she's waking up to all being as it should be!

I think I'll go with that thought as well, CathyA. :)