PDA

View Full Version : February exercise challenge

lhamo
2-16-12, 6:03am
We're half the way into February already and no thread for this, so thought I'd start one. How is everyone doing with exercise goals? i'm pretty chuffed because I hit 4.8 km on the treadmill in 30 minutes doing 1-4 intervals at 11 km/hr (that's 1 minute of walking followed by 4 minutes running). Almost to my goal of 5 km in 30 minutes! I really wore myself out though, so it might take me awhile to get up that last little bit.

I have changed my weight routine so that I am doing the minimal routine outlined in the "smarter science of slim" book and only have to do it once a week. I can really feel the difference in my muscles even after only a couple of weeks.

Weight is hovering right in the 64-65 kg range, but that is not bad considering it is winter. I think I'll probably be able to get off this plateau once spring comes. for now focusing mainly on building muscle and fitness, which are more important to me than the numbers on the scale. Would be nice if I can make it down to 60kgs this year, though! haven't been there since grad school...

lhamo

Mrs-M
2-16-12, 1:26pm
I'm sitting about the same as I always am, getting out for an evening walk when I can. I don't go for long, maybe an hour, and I tend to walk relaxed, rather than brisk, but for me it's about getting a little fresh air and escaping the indoor life that tends to consume so much of my time over the course of winter. Plus, a nice relaxing evening walk is the prefect medicine when it comes to flushing all daily stresses and frustrations away.

A couple weeks ago I went tobogganing with the kids, twice in one week, and that was great! Sure reminds me of my age, and how I don't bounce back from aches and pains like I used to!

lhamo
2-17-12, 10:06pm
5.03 km in 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning.

:cool:

One big fitness goal reached. Now I need to figure out what the next challenge is going to be....

lhamo

ejchase
2-17-12, 11:02pm
I'll join in. I'd like to do seven straight days of yoga this week. I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks for getting us going, lhamo.

ejchase
2-24-12, 1:31am
I've done at least 15 minutes of yoga every day since Sunday, so five days as of today (Thursday). Just want to keep it up!

ctg492
2-24-12, 5:23am
Yoga, I just downloaded the Yoga app for my Mac. I have reviewed it and am starting today. I hope I can add this to my daily workouts. I want to get some knowledge of Yoga before starting a class at the Y next month....so I don't look to silly.

ejchase
2-27-12, 1:06am
I made it through my seven days of yoga and kept on going today on day eight, so hopefullY I'll keep that up.

I also started walking through my very hilly neighborhood. If I do that regularly, I will get as much cardio as I need.

It feels great to be taking care of myself again.

lhamo
2-27-12, 2:50pm
This month has been a challenge for me, exercise wise. I met my goal (12 workouts/month), but barely. Between adjusting to new family routine/new helper/new schedule (which includes things like the subway breaking down and it taking me nearly 2.5 hours to get home last night...) and a particularly busy month at work, things have been rather crazy. March will also be busy, as the first 10 days or so involve me travelling to a work event (hope the hotel has a decent gym...), then trying to juggle more travel and work events with DH's schedule.

Weight is still holding steady, though, so pleased about that. Hopefully things will get easier in the spring. February is always a rough month for me.

lhamo

sunnyjoe
2-27-12, 3:55pm
lhamo, congratulations on 5k in 30 minutes! That's been a goal of mine as well but not quite there yet :)

I signed up for a 12 week challenge at work. We track time spent exercising and can win prizes (or at least a tee shirt)... My husband is participating too and it's a good incentive. I've set my goal at 120 minutes a week and have met or exceeded that for 2 weeks so far. I've labeled 30 minutes 3 times a week on the treadmill as non-optional. I try to look at it as routine as brushing my teeth. I do it first thing in the morning, typically before my kids are up and have a chance to derail me! Then I try to fit in some extra stuff especially walks outside if it's sunny and or yoga.