PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to think about moving south in 2-3 years

Tradd
2-18-12, 2:05pm
The high cost of living in the Chicago area is really beginning to grate on me. I should have my customs broker license by this time next year (I take the exam April 2! - keep your fingers crossed) and maybe allowing for another 1-2 years to get more experience on the brokerage side under my belt, I'm beginning to think about getting out and moving south - to the Altanta area.

Hartsfield rivals O'Hare on the air freight side, and there are TONS of customs brokers in the Atlanta area. My company even has an office in the Atlanta area, so transferring might be a possibility.

Cold is beginning to get to me and aggravates my carpal tunnel. I'm not that fond of heat and humidity, but I guess I could get used to it. At least it's easier to drive in than snow! Cost of living seems to be better down there. I have good friends in the area, whom I visited 7-8 years ago, but all I remember are the original Chik-Fil-A, the Cyclorama, and lots of hills!;)

Anyone in the area or spends time there that could tell me more about it?

At least moving would be easy for minimalist me! I think I would just get rid of my small amount of furniture here, and move with what I could fit in my car, with maybe a few boxes of things UPS'd to my friends.

iris lily
2-18-12, 2:09pm
Atlanta is pretty. I went there for a convention years ago and was surprised how lovely it was in places. I had expected something like Dallas--lots of big new buildings, little historic stuff--which I found awful. But Atlanta had its charm, that's for sure. I stayed in a B & B in the same neighborhood as the original home of the Coca Cola (or was it Pepsi?) founder.

That's just my perspective as a weekend tourista.

reader99
2-18-12, 2:40pm
You do get used to the heat and humidity, but it takes time. My first few years were hard. Now when I go back where I grew up, it seems cold there even in the summer

Spartana
2-18-12, 2:49pm
Have you thought of someplace coastal like Savannah? Weather is a little bit cooler, less humid and buggy, smaller town but with big city stuff, and it's a great place - very beautiful and historic. Same with Charleston. S.C.

Tradd
2-18-12, 4:35pm
Spartana, for my industry, Atlanta is HUGE. Not only are there 127 customs brokers in the Atlanta area, per the US Customs website, but my own company also has an office there. If I can transfer, and not lose seniority (which comes with 3 weeks vacation time now), that's a big plus.

AmeliaJane
2-18-12, 4:42pm
Three pieces of advice: 1) you will likely adjust to the heat and humidity, although it will take some time. For me, the bigger mental adjustment was just learning that we do have beautiful weather and times of year to enjoy the outdoors, but it's not summer. Summer is like winter in other parts of the world, when you plan indoor activities.

2) It's all about the neighborhood. I live in a city which has a terrible reputation for long commutes and ugly neighborhoods. I live five minutes from work in a gorgeous, quiet, leafy neighborhood. Don't go by a city's reputation in the media--talk to the locals.

3) If you know you're going to move in a few years, it's so helpful in feeling at home to have visited a few times and know the area. My last two moves have been to cities where I have family and consequently visited many times. It was much quicker to settle in because I knew neighborhoods, grocery store names, major arteries, etc.

Good luck...

Tradd
2-18-12, 4:50pm
AJ, I was just chatting on email with my friend down there (she and her DH are both GA natives), and I now have a standing invite to come visit whenever I like.

And even if Atlanta does have horrendous traffic, well, I've lived in the Chicago area for 16 years. I think only NY or LA could be worse. Regularly 90 minutes to go 25 miles here, and if you add snow, that's FOUR hours!

Things might get interesting with my Midwestern directness, though!

Zoebird
2-18-12, 5:08pm
I like Atlanta a lot. It's a great city, and if it's a good place for your work, definitely consider it. Particularly if you have friends there!

chrisgermany
2-19-12, 7:06am
I'd spend several vacations there to test the waters. With airb&b or other homesharing ideas (could you find homesitting opportunities through your religious community or office?) it might be quite affordable.
I would also try to find a way to meet people from the other office to hear it in time when they have a vacancy.

Fawn
2-19-12, 9:28am
Yes, the midwestern directness can be problamatic.

I lived in Chattanooga, TN for 5 years in the 1980's, which is really a backwater compared to Atlanta, but I never adjusted to the southern culture in terms of behavior/beliefs about gender and race differences.

I know that your religious community is very important to you. Definintely spend time in the Orthodox community there before you move. The south is heavily Christian, but it is a pushy-in-your-face kind of Christianity, not the more traditional Orthodox/Catholic/Lutheran type of Christianity. :devil:

sweetana3
2-19-12, 10:47am
Atlanta is a BIG city and the attitudes are moderated by the huge number of transplants to the area. Much like Raleigh/Durham or even Indianapolis. It was hard to find a southerner in Raleigh/Durham when we lived there because everyone we met seemed to be from somewhere else.

Traffic is often bad because people choose to live far away from their places of work. If you have flexibility, like no kids, you are open to a lot more urban housing and can often reduce or eliminate any traffic issues. We live downtown Indy and literally could walk to work and walk to groceries, etc. We choose to go out and drive when we want.

I think you would find Atlanta an interesting place to live so long as you found a "community", like a church family, to socialize with at first. I second the vacationing in Atlanta as many times as you can. www.city-data.com has forums for states and cities where you can ask questions too.

fidgiegirl
2-19-12, 4:44pm
Things might get interesting with my Midwestern directness, though!

funny you say that, Tradd! I don't think Midwesterners are direct at all!!!!

Tradd
2-19-12, 4:49pm
funny you say that, Tradd! I don't think Midwesterners are direct at all!!!!

Well, we at least don't seem to be as much into the habitual polite small talk before getting down to business I've seen in many southerners up here and what I saw on my one Atlanta visit. Maybe big city Midwesterners (such as those of us in the Chicago area) are more prone to it. I'm more direct than most! ;-)

daisy
2-20-12, 10:33am
I haven't been to Atlanta, but I have two friends who have lived there and both loved it. If you're worried about dealing with the summer temps, I would suggest moving during a cooler time of year. My family moved from Minnesota to Texas in August of 1965 and they are still talking about how miserable it was!

pinkytoe
2-20-12, 1:58pm
we at least don't seem to be as much into the habitual polite small talk before getting down to business
This is exactly what my boss ( born in Chicago) said when he moved here. He could not understand or appreciate why in the world people wanted to chit-chat in the grocery line. Small talk really irritated him thus he instituted meetings where we all stand up as sitting promoted small talk.
I have been looking at the forums on www.city-data.com to get in-depth opinions about different locales.

Tradd
2-20-12, 2:00pm
Yes, the midwestern directness can be problamatic.

I lived in Chattanooga, TN for 5 years in the 1980's, which is really a backwater compared to Atlanta, but I never adjusted to the southern culture in terms of behavior/beliefs about gender and race differences.

I know that your religious community is very important to you. Definintely spend time in the Orthodox community there before you move. The south is heavily Christian, but it is a pushy-in-your-face kind of Christianity, not the more traditional Orthodox/Catholic/Lutheran type of Christianity. :devil:

Fawn, my friends in Atlanta are Orthodox. That helps a great deal. I also have email buddies who are Orthodox in the area so I've got contacts in several parishes already.

Tenngal
2-21-12, 7:01am
heat, heat and heat. The humidity makes it miserable outside June-mid Sept. I am from the Chatt area and you will be invited to church often by those who consider it being polite to inquire about your spiritual life. Most Democrats from our area are conservative, regardless of what the media says. Make some of your visits in summer.

JaneV2.0
2-21-12, 11:32am
This is exactly what my boss ( born in Chicago) said when he moved here. He could not understand or appreciate why in the world people wanted to chit-chat in the grocery line. Small talk really irritated him thus he instituted meetings where we all stand up as sitting promoted small talk. I have been looking at the forums on www.city-data.com to get in-depth opinions about different locales.

As when I occasionally read novels, I'd want to bark "Get to the point!" I'd like your boss.

shadowmoss
2-21-12, 1:21pm
I miss having full and interesting conversations with strangers in check-out lines. Southern culture is an acquired taste, and it helps to have someone who is up on it to help with the transition.

lhamo
2-21-12, 4:27pm
Different direction, but have you considered Seattle? Should be customs brokers there. Not the cheapest place to live, but there is a huge SL movement and I think more sympathy for a SL approach to life. Traffic can be horrid but you can get around that by choosing a place close to work. I'd imagine a lot of the customs agents are near the port, and Beacon Hill has pretty inexpensive housing nearby. Climate definitely better than Atlanta in the summers, if you can take the grey dreariness of much of winter. Though to be honest -- Seattlites don't shoot me for revealing this secret -- there are periods of sunny weather in the winter every year when Mt. Rainier pops out in all it's ice cream cone/sunrise kissed glory and you are reminded that there is no more beautiful place in the world.... Sorry. Homesick.

I think the culture/personality type is probably more similar to what you are used to. Lots of nordic influence, and people are pretty straightforward. I think there is a fairly large orthodox community, though not sure about that.

Anyway, might not be what you have in mind but thought I'd put in a plug for the home team.

Tradd
2-21-12, 4:46pm
Lhamo, I spent an hour on the phone last night with a very dear friend who has lived in the SEA area for 20 years. The cost of living out there, especially with rentals is more than I'm paying now. I'm adamant on not moving to a more expensive area. My friend and I talked very honestly about money and she said I would almost surely be paying more than I currently am for rent. My friend is Orthodox and her parish would be a good fit, but the cost of living makes it a no go.

There are tons of brokers there.

ashem37
10-10-12, 1:19pm
Hi Tradd,
I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this thread. I moved to Atlanta from Chicago back in 1997 when I graduated from college and have lived here ever since. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. It all depends on where you're going to live and what kind of a commute you're going to have. We live in Decatur, which is pricey, but really close to the Marta train. Public transportation isn't nearly as good as it is in Chicago, just keep that in mind. Chicago is a great place to visit, but Atlanta is a much easier place to live.