PDA

View Full Version : Nominations requested for SLF / NRM Board member!

RoseFI
2-20-12, 6:29pm
STEP RIGHT UP, and enjoy the satisfaction of helping a cherished community to thrive and grow!

We need a SLF representative to the NRM Board, someone who will keep an eye on the big picture of SLF. That person, maybe you, could also become a full Board NRM member. Nominations are easy. Nominate yourself or someone else by sending an email to admin@simplelivingforum.net by the end of February. We'll run a poll on SLF during the first two weeks of March. Who knows? You might just help SLF, and your work might also help a career, or at least a resume.

(Want or need more of a story? Read below.)

As you may know, when NRM offered to host SLF, the intention was that the SLF community would run itself. In NRM's thinking, that includes moderation and technical administration, which is happening and could happen more. It also includes making decisions and organizing the community: internal activity, policies, planning, and finances. *You are investing your time and money in this community -- you should have a formal conduit for building consensus around what happens here!

The SLF community benefits when it regularly communicates it's decisions and needs to the NRM Board. Ideally that is through a formal representative position. That way the issues can be addressed and the community has more opportunities to thrive. NRM originally assumed this role could come out of the moderator group, but a year later, it's clear the mods are maxed out just moderating. So... As President, I am taking the liberty of soliciting nominations from the general community for a SLF Board Liaison/Representative.

Please feel free to use this thread through the end of February, to nominate yourself or someone else, and if there are multiple nominees who accept, we can do a poll to elect someone.

The SLF representative to the NRM Board will keep an eye on the big picture of SLF, organizing high-level community decisions, and representing those interests at the NRM Board level. We consider this to be equivalent to a project lead/liaison position, and could be a full Board NRM member (voting rights/responsibilities). This person have the authority and responsibility for institutionalizing policies around the role itself with input from the community.

Although NRM & SLF are strongly aligned, in 2011 I was the only NRM board member to actually participate in (albeit infrequently) or monitor what is going on at SLF. (Some board members stay clear to avoid conflicts of interest.) I am NOT the official SLF rep -- that position has been effectively empty since soon after it's inception last spring. (Thanks go out to those who tried, but were called away by family crises.) Out of my own concerns for SLF since then, I've tried to fulfill the most necessary tasks (e.g. financial reporting, answering operational questions) but in 2012 I will be primarily focused on many FI-related projects, so I'm getting eager for someone else to ...

STEP RIGHT UP, and enjoy the satisfaction of helping a cherished community to thrive and grow!

NRM is run by a working (i.e."ask not what your organization can do for you, ask what you can do...", non-professional (unpaid) board of 3-7 people. Meetings currently happen quarterly via (very efficient and pleasant) 3-hour phone conference, with interim discussions via email as needed. Our next meeting will be an in-person organization retreat, to be held on a beautiful island in the NW US March 30-April 1, with travel paid by the organization (within budget), and lodging at the home of a current NRM Board member.

It also will be a great time to introduce SLF-related initiatives. (We have ideas, but what do you think should be done?) If you would like a copy of the general NRM Board job description or have any questions, please send me a personal message.

Let's plan on launching the poll by the beginning of March! And if you don't like this idea -- feel free to take the reins to create community consensus/action on a different course.

In solidarity,
rozie

Mrs-M
2-21-12, 11:47am
The title up for consideration is an important one, and as a member who invests not only my time but my dollars towards the betterment of, the survival of, and the future of this community, it brings me great pleasure to nominate, Alan, as the NRM/SLF Liaison.

Alan, IMO, exemplifies what a Liaison should be. He brings to the table, stature, credentials, and professionalism, and based on his expertise in program and board functions/operations, his active participation in the community, and his steadfast approach towards ensuring the preservation of our home, I can't think of a better candidate.

If we as members (those of us who play a proactive role in keeping this forum alive) want to assure the integrity of, the progression of, and the security of this place we all call home, then it's time we started investing in our future and looking at appointing people dedicated to reinforcing those ideals and in turn, people who are going to assign and pledge themselves towards us and our interests.

Thank you.

rosarugosa
2-22-12, 7:45pm
I would second the nomination for Alan if he is interested, but I know that not everyone has the time/capacity to take on extra commitments.

Mrs-M
2-22-12, 8:48pm
Thank you for the support, Rosa.

iris lily
2-22-12, 8:53pm
ah, Alan has had my vote from the beginning!

bae
2-22-12, 8:53pm
I would also vote to railroad Alan :-)

Alan
2-22-12, 9:03pm
Wow, I was just recovering from the shock of Mrs M's thoughtfulness and mentally preparing for the inevitable "What! Are you crazy?"

I'm honored and humbled to be nominated, and would even agree to serve should I lose. :D

Wildflower
2-22-12, 11:02pm
Oh, I agree!! Alan, you are my pick as well!! :)

redfox
2-22-12, 11:27pm
I would also vote to railroad Alan :-)

Lucky for you, I nominate you.

Bae. He lives close by too.

flowerseverywhere
2-23-12, 12:21am
there are several community minded posters in my opinion who always have good input on the frugal boards. I have learned so much from the great ideas they have and they seem to embody the spirit of contributing good ideas and don't get involved in public policy fighting. They seem to be walking the walk.

Mrs M, Stella , Tradd and Fidgiegirl , Float on, and redfox .

flowerseverywhere
2-23-12, 10:10am
I was thinking more about this last night and wanted to make some comments on the two people others mentioned, Alan and Bae. My comments are of course gleaned from reading their posts and the impression I have gotten from them.

for Bae, I think he would bring to the board business smarts- it seems he is very well educated in a wide variety of topics, very well read. He has done a lot of community work and dealing with government systems in getting things done to make a better place for his community. Also, not being beholden to an employer it might be easier for him to arrange time as needed.

alan seems very sure of his opinions and would bring to the board his self assurance and drive. He has already been involved so I think he would probably have the best idea about what is needed to help the community grow and prosper.

mrs. M and the others I mentioned seem like people anyone could work with. Although they all might be too busy to even think about another commitment, they seem to be committed to a simple living lifestyle, which is what I think is the basis for the NRM foundation and SLF. They would bring a different set of qualities to the board.

RoseFI
2-23-12, 1:35pm
FYI, I have uploaded the materials NRM uses regarding Board membership, to the FI wiki. Anyone interested in Board membership can access the files here. Since these were documents adopted and/or used prior to SLF incorporation, they do not necessarily reflect additional skills/criteria that might be specific to the forums, so once a SLF rep is added, they can help amend the docs as desirable.

You can access the files here:

http://www.financialintegrity.org/index.php?title=NRM_Board_of_Directors_Materials

Mrs-M
2-23-12, 3:03pm
Originally posted by Alan.
I'm honored and humbled to be nominatedGreat!

Mrs-M
2-23-12, 3:35pm
Flowerseverywhere. Awww, So sweet of you. Sadly, with such a large family to watch-over and care for, the position would be too much for me to comfortably take on. But may I say, it sure feels great to be thought of. Thank you. :)

gwendolyn
2-27-12, 5:53pm
There are so many people who are contributing great things to this community! I think having a community-organizer type take this kind of role could help move us to the next level. I don't think this one position is going to do it all (that would just mean burn-out) but this position could help rally others and expand the group effort.

I'd like to nominate redfox, because I believe she has experience running and developing non-profits, and especially fundraising / revenue generation -- a key need for this community! Redfox, would you accept a nomination, and can you clarify my vague description of your skills? :|(

redfox
2-27-12, 6:39pm
There are so many people who are contributing great things to this community! I think having a community-organizer type take this kind of role could help move us to the next level. I don't think this one position is going to do it all (that would just mean burn-out) but this position could help rally others and expand the group effort.

I'd like to nominate redfox, because I believe she has experience running and developing non-profits, and especially fundraising / revenue generation -- a key need for this community! Redfox, would you accept a nomination, and can you clarify my vague description of your skills? :|(

Gwendolyn, thank you! Sadly, I cannot take this on & do it justice... Largely because yes, I run a small, national non-profit, fundraise for it (as well as being in the midde of planning a national conference -yikes!), and am also on my national alumnae board doing the same. One more would do me in...

I agree that folks with non-profit management skills & experience are helpful. The same skills are used in managing businesses too, with the distinction that businesses manage towards a profit, and non-profits manage towards a mission. Profit is secondary; paying the basic bills while meeting objectives is not, and anyone with a solid business background is a great asset to the non profit sector. (Bae!)

I would love to contribute towards the well-being of this community. Towards that end, I would be happy to do a pro bono development/fundraising work session with the board, especially if I could get put up on Whidbey!

RoseFI
3-2-12, 11:58am
Happy March, folks! Looks like we have 1 definite (thank you, Alan!) and 2 possible nominees. I've emailed Float On, and Stella to see if they accept Flowerseverywhere's nomination, since they don't seem to have noticed this thread. Bae, Mrs-M, Tradd and redfox did not accept, and I know Fidgiegirl is not available due to a previous conversation regarding moderating. Anyone else I missed?

rosarugosa
3-3-12, 3:05pm
We have some great nominees mentioned above. I understand that the moderators are all stretched pretty thin already, but I would like to at least pay the tribute of nominating lhamo. I think she epitomizes the balanced voice of reason.

gimmethesimplelife
3-3-12, 3:33pm
We have some great nominees mentioned above. I understand that the moderators are all stretched pretty thin already, but I would like to at least pay the tribute of nominating lhamo. I think she epitomizes the balanced voice of reason.I would agree with the above. Rob

Tradd
3-3-12, 3:47pm
there are several community minded posters in my opinion who always have good input on the frugal boards. I have learned so much from the great ideas they have and they seem to embody the spirit of contributing good ideas and don't get involved in public policy fighting. They seem to be walking the walk.

Mrs M, Stella , Tradd and Fidgiegirl , Float on, and redfox .

Thank you, Flowers, but I simply have too much going on locally.

RoseFI
3-5-12, 12:21am
Lhamo is on the verge of burnout, having carried so much of the back room work for the past 6 months. Hopefully this election will result in a DECREASE, not an increase in the load she's carrying here. She is on the road until the 12th, so will probably not be able to respond to this nomination. I'll include her in the poll, regardless, and hopefully if she accepts it, someone else will step up to take on some of the things she's doing as mod.

lhamo
3-5-12, 9:15am
Thanks very much for the nomination, but with much regret I'll have to decline -- if I were in the US I would consider it, but the time difference between China and Seattle and my work/family schedule makes it impossible for me to commit to participating in the regular phone conferences.

lhamo