PDA

View Full Version : Creative solutions for a REUSABLE *Easter* basket?

Tradd
2-28-12, 1:25pm
Alrighty - I have a large decorated basket (it held the prize I won at an event years ago) that I use for my Easter basket each year. We put all the lovely, yummy goodies - Easter breads, cheese, dyed eggs, sausage, bottle of wine - that we abstained from during Lent and it's blessed at the end of the Easter service, about 2:30 am, and then we party until dawn!;)

Anyway, this basket takes up the majority of an 18 gallon (the standard "large" size) Rubbermaid tote. I'm on quite the decluttering kick, and I'm wondering if you folks would help me brainstorm a creative, nice container I could use as my Easter basket each year, but something that could be used the rest of the year. Thus freeing up the room in my tote

Some people use wicker picnic baskets for their Easter baskets, but I don't have one. Or wicker laundry baskets. I don't have a laundry basket, period!

Maybe some sort of a small basket or container that I could keep on my breakfast bar (used as my desk) the rest of the year holding stationery items/office supplies, etc.? Not dinky, but something perhaps "medium" sized.

Thanks for your help!:)

redfox
2-28-12, 1:39pm
How about a beautiful bowl, ceramic or copper plant container, or colander? I had a basket like the one you describe here, and used it for the kindling for my woodstove...

Float On
2-28-12, 2:11pm
If someone were to say to me "Grab something out of your house stuff it full of things and bring it to church." I'd probably grab one of the cloth folding cubes out of the laundry room closet. The one holding my rag stash would work well. I could drape some pretty napkins over each side (good for cleaning up the chin later) and stuff it with wine, bread, etc.... and when the feast was done and the crumbs shaken out the household rags tossed back in. Those fabric cubes also have handy handle.

JaneV2.0
2-28-12, 2:32pm
Thrift stores are full of cheap decorative baskets, tins, totes, and decorative tableware. I'd go there first. But I'd go there anyway...:)

herbgeek
2-28-12, 2:36pm
If you're worried about space, there's always those collapsible hampers/bins that fold down flat.

Miss Cellane
2-28-12, 3:22pm
My sister has a nice basket that she leaves out on her kitchen counter that holds fruit. She keeps about two days worth of fruit in it, to remind herself to eat it. She finds when the fruit is in the refrigerator, she forgets about it.

sweetana3
2-28-12, 3:22pm
A big canvas tote can be used for almost anything from holidays to shopping to storage. A nice benefit is that it also folds up and stores most anywhere.

happystuff
2-28-12, 4:14pm
Decorate a xerox box and then after Easter, fill it up with stuff you are decluttering.

Miss Cellane
2-28-12, 4:34pm
How about a collapsible tote? Like these: http://www.markettote.net/category_1/Market-Tote.htm?gclid=CP-qs47Pwa4CFYne4AodRHsdOg

Useful any time of year when you need to lug stuff around. Some of them are in pretty Easter colors. And they fold flat when you aren't using them.

Merski
2-28-12, 5:36pm
How about a much smaller basket and you put in it symbolic versions of your lenten choices. A glass for wine (or grapes) some sweets, an egg etc to bring to the church for blessing and on your sideboard at home create a still like of the real things.

Tradd
2-28-12, 5:43pm
Merski, good idea, but doesn't quite work, since we feast on our basket contents!

iris lily
2-28-12, 6:49pm
I really like the idea of using something that you already have and use, appropriating this thing for the one time seasonal use of holding the feast.

I'm learning toward something in your kitchen. Do you have a colendar, do you use one? If so, you could get a nice one and toss you not-so-nice one. Or if you want to be a weirdo, just take the colendar that you have, it may not be all that attractive. There are some nice--blue--ones since your apartment is in blue for around $20.00.

I'm less fond of bags, but that would work.

I think that your apartment may be stripped down that minimal that there isn't anything left that will do double duty.

Merski
2-28-12, 6:52pm
Okay! I get it is more concrete.

Fawn
3-2-12, 6:41am
Will a coledar be big enough?

You could just put the treats in the 18 gallon tote? OK, I get that the container needs to be festive too.

Is a stock pot big enough? Iactually like the idea of decorating a cardboard box that can then be recycled and not having to keep an item all year for a one day event.

fidgiegirl
3-2-12, 8:15am
We use a basket in our living room to hold 2 medium sized blankets for couch time. Maybe the biggie could hang around for something like that.

Tradd
3-2-12, 10:36am
I think I might have my solution. Hot pink plastic crate. I already have several. Line with some fabric - voila!

Mrs-M
3-12-12, 12:47pm
You know, Tradd, what about taking the plunge and investing in a quality wicker basket, like this, (http://domitp.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/a/easter-basket-koszyk-wielkanocny-domitp-30502.jpg) and reserving it for Easter celebration each year? What I'm thinking, is how over the top it would be if you took some loose straw and stuck it through the woven wicker (here and there/all over), then using earthen coloured ribbon, add bursts of ribbon bows all around. If you really want to set your basket apart from all the rest, complete the theme by accenting it further with silk maple flowers (in fall colours), some real dried acorns, along with dried gourds and miniature pumpkins. The ideas are endless!

Mrs-M
3-12-12, 1:10pm
To add, I like to think, that, at least sometimes, going the extra mile to put together something special, means looking beyond repurposing or reusing, in order to achieve the biggest bang and most dramatic effect. Sure, it's always nice to be able to create a second-life for old and used things, but ever so often I think it's important to branch-out and go for the gusto.

Zoebird
3-22-12, 5:44pm
I think reusing your crate with some fabric is a good idea. :) particularly if they are multi-use. :)

I have this tote basket that I got in africa in 2000 for $3. I love that damn basket.

It usually spends it's life holding all of our grocery bags. It looks prettier hanging on the wall than the grocery bags do! I fold each bag and tuck it into this tote, and hang it on the wall in the kitchen. Easy to grab on grocery day.

But, I also love to carry it as our picnic basket to the beach, use it for holidays of various sorts (it's nice to carry presents in for example, to birthday parties and stuff) and so on.

Here, I can get maori-weave style ones of the same size for about $5. I'm thinking of replacing my grocery bags with maori grass bags -- they are tough as nails those things and look nice and lay flat,and would still fit into my african bag.

Hmmm. gonna have to think about that!

Amaranth
7-12-12, 7:51am
How about doing the reverse and using the basket year round to organize other food in some way?