PDA

View Full Version : March Gratitude/Prayerfulness Challenge

fidgiegirl
2-29-12, 2:30pm
I have derived a lot of benefit from past gratitude and prayer threads, so in March, to help remember just how much I am blessed to have, I am going to make an effort to be mindful of being prayerful every day. Anyone who would like to join me is welcome.

Will start right now - glad to have a job that is flexible enough that I can leave mid-day on a day like today when I needed to. Last year, I would have had to tough out the rest of the day unless I was practically ready to drop dead. But this way, I will be ready to go back into action tomorrow.

domestic goddess
3-1-12, 12:06pm
I am grateful that the pain in my back is beginning to fade, and that someone at work is finding a replacement for me on the case that caused the back pain. I hope they soon find a case to replace it.

Stella
3-4-12, 8:39pm
I am grateful for all of the help our families are giving us in getting work done on the house before our newest baby arrives in May. I am also grateful for our friends who took the kids this afternoon so I could get some cleaning done.

I am praying that my RLS, which gets really bad at the end of pregnancy, can ease and make it easier to sleep.

domestic goddess
3-5-12, 12:48pm
While I feel sorrow for those who lost homes and loved ones in the recent storms, I am grateful that none of my family or friends were impacted by them.

Stella
3-5-12, 2:46pm
I'm feeling very down today about the state of the world, particularly the level of snark that seems to be prevalent in the culture right now. I've actually been considering leaving facebook in particular because it just seems to bring me down right now. I know it's an election year, and that feeds some of it. I am reflecting on something Thomas Aquinas said about Peace, that (paraphrasing) it is not a fruit of agreement, but a fruit of love/charity. People can agree on things that are harmful, for example, agreeing to rob someone. Peace comes when we can view our disagreements in the light of love. Praying today for an increase in love and charity in my own heart and in the world at large.

Maybe I'll post that on facebook just to put that prayer out there to my friends as well.

JaneV2.0
3-5-12, 5:25pm
I'm grateful to be me. Probably belongs to the ego thread... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_madhouse/mail1.gif

Anne Lee
3-5-12, 8:54pm
I am grateful that we can experience the peace and presence of God regardless of circumstances. It's been one of those days.

Stella
3-5-12, 9:40pm
Hugs and prayers Anne Lee for whatever circumstances you are facing.

fidgiegirl
3-5-12, 9:59pm
I feel like I need some prayers lately. Not sure why but my energy is really low. Hopefully it's just a cold or something that my body is fighting and not a symptom of anything bigger.

Reading the book Pigs in Heaven and it is making me want to pray for children - again - and all they face. There are a lot of children carrying heavy loads out there in this world.

Rosemary
3-5-12, 10:23pm
Hmmm... Kelli, Stella, can you tell that it's March in Minnesota? It's been about 6 months since any of us has been able to manufacture vit D and we have hardly seen the sun all winter. I myself was feeling robbed today when the meteorologists were wrong about sunshine --- again! Here's hoping tomorrow's 50 degrees comes to fruition. Anyway, I hope you're both feeling better soon. I can commiserate... I've been feeling generally out of sorts and tired, really having to make myself do things.

As for prayers, tonight I am thinking about homeless children. Superintendent of our school district spoke at our PTA meeting, and he said there are 3 times as many in our district as there were 3 years ago, and that other nearby districts have seen substantial increases as well.

domestic goddess
3-6-12, 11:32am
Kelli, prayers going up that you feel better and more energetic. I have also been suffering a bit from low energy, and I think it is just a function of the time of year and the weather. Why have tons of energy if you can't do anything with it? Even if I had some, I'm not really motivated to use it now. I would really like to spend a few days in bed, where I would at least be warm!

Stella
3-6-12, 3:40pm
Thanks Rosemary! I am feeling a lot better today. I do think the end of winter has something to do with it. Even though it's been a mild one, the sun is still a factor. It's definitely warming up today. I didn't even wear a sweater when we went to the Children's Museum.

puglogic
3-7-12, 9:46am
I am so grateful today for my husband, who turns 40 today. He is such a gentle man, and I learn so much just by stepping back and watching him work his way through his challenges - he is in a constant state of evolution to the man he wants to be, and it brings me so much joy. I'm sending a nod of reverence and gratitude to whatever forces brought him into my life....they must love me quite a lot. Love to everyone on this foggy, chilly day in the Rockies!

Stella
3-7-12, 1:04pm
Puglogic that was so uplifting to read this morning! Thanks for posting that.

I am thankful for my DH this morning too. He and his dad are working so incredibly hard to make things nicer around here.

fidgiegirl
3-7-12, 7:23pm
Grateful today again for my job. It's been a little slow, but I've hit on a few projects now that will have good meaning for people moving forward.

Thankful for the warmth!! Well, not exactly warm, but not freezing cold :)

Thanks for your well-wishes. You know, sometimes I'm hard on myself, which is silly. Like I'm not allowed to be down, or sad, or mad, so then it spirals me even down-er, or sadder, or madder. Maybe it's a woman thing, maybe it's a Kelli thing. :D

Stella
3-7-12, 9:43pm
Kelli, I can get into exactly that same cycle of thinking. I totally understand.

domestic goddess
3-8-12, 2:24pm
Thankful that I have a job, but dreading the start of my "work week" tomorrow night. This part of the job is just physically to demanding for me, and I don't look forward to it a bit. The patient is fine, but he is just too big and heavy for me to lift and turn comfortably. I take care of babies for a reason! Besides the fact that they are darling and cuddly, they are small and easy to lift.
Sorry, I meant to stay on gratitude this morning, but my sore back just keeps butting in.

Stella
3-8-12, 4:23pm
Praying for your sore back domestic goddess!

I am grateful for, and praying for, my sweet Miss Cheyenne who will be 8 years old tomorrow! How is that possible? She's a gift and a treasure. She really seems to be hitting that bigger kid stage as she has rounded the corner towards 8 years old. It's really fun to watch all of the lightbulbs turning on and all of the cool things she is learning. When I watch my little ones and remember what she was like just a short time ago I am amazed to think about how fast she's gone from that cute little baby who used to chatter to herself all day long to this big, capable girl who can cook, knit, build stuff and, now that I think of it, still chatters to herself all day long. :) Now I know what she's saying, though. :P

Praying that this next year brings her all the gifts and challenges she needs to continue her path to adulthood and for the wisdom and patience to help her in whatever ways I can.

Rosemary
3-8-12, 5:25pm
8 is a great age, stella... i say that as we are getting ready to turn the corner to 9. I call 8 "the age of great precision." you'll soon see what I mean if you don't already know! :)

Kat
3-8-12, 5:29pm
I'm really thankful for my daughter and all the sweet moments we get to share together. Today when it was her nap time, I cradled her in my arms and kind of put my hand on the side of her face. As I was stroking her cheek, she reached up and put her little hand on my cheek, too. Best. Moment. Ever. Well, a really great one, anyway.

Also really thankful for my sister's healthy pregnancy. Her twin girls are 7 and 6 pounds, and she has to be induced tomorrow at 38.5 weeks. So happy she was able to carry them to term and that they are healthy. Now to pray for a smooth delivery for her and for them!

fidgiegirl
3-8-12, 6:03pm
Great news about your sister, Kat. I will also pray for patience and wisdom in all the other challenges twins will bring! But double the fun . . .

I am thankful today to work in a friendly, encouraging workplace.

Kat
3-10-12, 8:07am
Thanks, fidgie. I am thankful today that I have two brand new baby nieces--both healthy as can be! :-) I am also thankful for my MIL. I have been sick with a cough and cold this past week and not getting much sleep. She came over yesterday to watch the baby so I could get some rest. I adore her for a lot of reasons, but her willingness to always step in and help anyone do anything is one of them.

fidgiegirl
3-10-12, 11:24am
Grateful to have a break from work and responsibilities for a week of spring break.

Praying for my coworker as she continues her journey of grief from losing her husband. Now she is dealing with icky behavior from a family friend who photographed her DD's wedding and it all just seems very unnecessary and upsetting for anyone, but it's like, oh geez, how is it that she is already so fresh after her DH's death and on top of it having to deal with this garbage. Ick.

Rosemary
3-10-12, 6:55pm
Just learned that a young friend of the family was recently diagnosed with an invasive form of breast cancer. She has a young baby. Please pray for Josie and her family.

Stella
3-10-12, 10:25pm
Praying for all of your intentions!

Rosemary, that is a scary situation! My little sister has been battling invasive breast cancer for two years and it is such a tough thing to have to go through, especially when you have young children. I'll be praying for Josie and all her family.

Kelli, prayers for healing for your coworker!

Kat, I am so happy for you and your sister! Twins! That is exciting.

FIL is going home tomorrow and I am so thankful he came to visit. Not just because he did a ton of work, either. :) It was so nice to get to spend time with him and for the kids to get to bond with him. Grandparents are such a treasure in a child's life.

fidgiegirl
3-14-12, 11:00pm
Praying today for those struggling with cognitive decline, especially if they still have enough function to realize they are losing some (much?) of it, and their families.

fidgiegirl
3-14-12, 11:02pm
Grandparents are such a treasure in a child's life.

How blessed are your children to be able to interact with their grandpa and that it is positive time. I am thinking of those who cannot see their grandchildren or grandparents because of family dynamics, distance, death or any multitude of factors . . . thinking of one person in particular and extending warm hugs. Perhaps she will see this and be comforted.

fidgiegirl
3-14-12, 11:04pm
Praying for all my friends here on the boards. I hope you have a restful night, and that your body and soul finds all the nourishment it needs tomorrow and every day thereafter.

Rosemary
3-15-12, 5:38am
Thanks, Kelli!

I am very thankful for the turn in the weather, from simply unseasonably warm to insanely warm for the season! And even more - the sunshine that was so lacking all winter. The winter doldrums have left me and I am feeling so much more like doing things. I even got the early vegetables seeded yesterday... about 3-4 weeks earlier than usual.

Hoping that the warm sunshine is helping all the rest of you as well!

Kat
3-15-12, 11:53pm
I had a case of the grumpies earlier today and forced myself to think of all the blessings in my life. I am thankful for:

a nice home that meets our needs
the flexibility of our jobs
warm, breeze-y, sunshine-y days
a sweet baby girl
a husband who adores me
cupcakes

and that's just the tip of the ice berg! ;-)

Kat
3-18-12, 2:05pm
Feeling really thankful today that all of our needs are met. We might not have everything, but we have enough. :)

fidgiegirl
3-18-12, 6:30pm
Thankful for a beautiful day and time spent chatting and laughing with my sister and DBiL, who we haven't seen in a while, and just chilling out. We needed that. I even fell asleep in the chair, and was awakened when I realized I had let a sleep fart and everyone was laughing at me!! :D

Stella
3-19-12, 9:25am
I'm really grateful to Rosemary for mentioning that 8 is the Age of Great Precision. :) That has been showing up this week big time and it was very helpful in recognizing it as a stage Cheyenne is going through.

I am grateful to Diana in Wisconsin, who isn't here anymore, but has been answering Cheyenne's e-mails about gardening questions with lots of great information.

I am also thankful for a small revelation I had this weekend that I think will go a long way in helping me in my Year of Peace and Patience. I won't go into long details, but it relates to gratitude. I have realized that a lot of the things I've been praying for and striving for have really come to fruition and that I need to make a mental downshift. It's not that I don't still have goals and things I want to accomplish, but I need to take time to be grateful for the things I already have and recognize that the goals I still have don't have the same urgency level as the ones I've achieved.

Float On
3-19-12, 10:10am
I confess that I haven't been very thankful this month, I've been nitpicking at some things I'm just tired of.
I am grateful and I am thankful that 'these things too shall pass".

Sissy
3-21-12, 1:12pm
Gosh, I haven't followed this thread at all. I guess I was afraid that I would have to "weigh in" every day. I think it is wonderful. Cyber prayers and gratefuls are real. Bless all of you ladies for not being afraid to share your problems and triumphs.

I have a easy job that allows me all of the freedom that I need. My DH takes up any slack by being a Domestic god. Since I have CF/Fibro, I am so tired (from my easy job, lol) that most of the time I crash when I get home and on the weekends. He is sooo considerate and quiet so that I can rest.

I am grateful, also, for this forum, tho I am not on it as much as in past years. And I am thankful for the InnerMost house link. These are the 2 places that I haunt. Cyberspace is great when you don't feel like facing the real world.

I am just happy that I have reasons to be grateful!

Stella
3-22-12, 9:27pm
I took the kids to pack food for Feed My Starving Children today and it was a huge gratitude builder. My overly-emotional pregnant butt burst into tears when the guy was showing pictures of the dirt biscuits women in Haiti were selling so people could trick their stomachs into feeling full. I am grateful beyond measure for everything I have. Clothing, food, shelter, health, healthy kids, medical care... I could go on and on.

Man I am an ungrateful brat sometimes. So I'll add to that I am grateful for God's patience with my BS and I must remember to pay that patience forward along with all of the other gifts.

Rosemary
3-23-12, 6:34am
Stella, that patience will help a lot in navigating the year of precision! I have to remind DD at times that it is not necessary to correct absolutely everything I say. Also, my DD's class will take a field trip to Feed My Starving Children later this spring. I'm hoping to go along.

I am grateful for my wonderful friends and for having an opportunity to visit friends in Virginia whom I'd not seen for several years. We all just picked up where we left off. We've been through many stages of life together... often remotely, only meeting in person every 2-4 years. Still, strong connections are there. I am grateful that my very best friend of many years seems to have escaped the web of depression.

I am grateful for my energetic, smiling, beautiful daughter who celebrates her 9th birthday this week. Wishing her a year of happiness and love from family and friends.

I am grateful for the promise of spring after a long - though mild - winter.

Stella
3-23-12, 9:30am
Happy birthday to your DD Rosemary! I think you and your DD will have fun on that class trip. It was easy enough work that you can talk and socialize while you do it, but it took some good coordination and teamwork.

LOL. This was definitely a good year to choose patience as my virtue of the year. I'm trying to remind myself that Cheyenne doesn't mean to be snotty, she's trying to be accurate but once in a while it gets pretty grating.

I am grateful that this morning is clicking along nicely and that Zach gets off at noon on Fridays, so the day is looking like a good one.

Kat
3-23-12, 5:51pm
I
Man I am an ungrateful brat sometimes. So I'll add to that I am grateful for God's patience with my BS and I must remember to pay that patience forward along with all of the other gifts.

I was just thinking something similar the other day, Stella. I have been blessed with so much in so many ways, and yet I still find things to whine and complain about. Despite that, God keeps pouring out an abundance of wonderful things in my life. It is really humbling to feel His love when I do so little to deserve it. I guess that is the point of grace and mercy, no?

Anne Lee
3-23-12, 8:17pm
I am learning to consecrate everything through prayer and to listen - really listen - instead of speaking.

fidgiegirl
3-26-12, 10:19pm
I am learning to consecrate everything through prayer and to listen - really listen - instead of speaking.

So hard. I commend anyone who is successful!! :)

Here, lots of prayers. Prayers for our friends here on the boards who are struggling and have reached out, or have not reached out.

Prayers for a high school acquaintance and her partner who have adopted four siblings, two with severe behavioral problems, and are struggling. I am grateful that they have admitted so on Facebook, which can so often be this fake wall of wonderful, so that we can send those good thoughts their way. I wish I knew more concrete ways to give them a helping hand. They live an hour away, and we are not close. Ideas welcome.

Praying for my niece and nephew whose mom is having a relapse of mental illness issues. Of course they never go away but their impact on her life ebbs and flows, and she's at a low point. My niece lives four hours away, and is 24. My nephew lives with his dad at home and is 21. Their mom is recently divorced from their dad (my BiL) and BiL is not able to lend a hand. So they have to figure it out, or watch her crash and burn. Again, not sure how to help them with this. It will be neverending. Need to at least give a call, particularly to DNephew. Perhaps DH and I need to attend a NAMI group (http://www.namihelps.org/support/family-support-groups.html), either with DNephew or on our own. Again, ideas welcome. Not trying to turn this into an advice thread but if you feel so compelled . . . feel free. Otherwise, I am content here to express these prayers and hope they make a difference.

Sigh. Makes my issues of "which sentence sounds better in this cover letter" seem pretty dang trivial.

Lots of love, all . . .

razz
3-27-12, 7:13am
Grateful for a group of friends with whom I can share my innermost thoughts as we meet once a week to listen to an audio course and discuss it.
Grateful for the mass of daffodils that are bursting open around our house.
Thinking of those mentioned on this thread as wrapped in love and support and held tight.

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 8:31am
Thinking of those mentioned on this thread as wrapped in love and support and held tight.

What a beautiful image.

Kat
3-27-12, 8:40am
Really feeling thankful for DH today. He is such a wonderful partner. I just couldn't "do" life without him.

Also thankful for my awesome MIL. I was having a particularly rough day with the baby yesterday--lots of crying and no sleep for either of us. MIL dropped everything and came over to help immediately. She has such a willing attitude and caring heart. I want to be more like her!

puglogic
3-27-12, 7:01pm
Grateful for people with love in their hearts today. I have been tearful for days now (very sick and suffering little dog, and very little sleep) and the checker at the Whole Foods took time to ask me my story, share her own, and squeeze my hand and offer her prayers --- really an incredible five-minute experience (no, there wasn't anyone behind me in line).

Kat
3-28-12, 5:44pm
the checker at the Whole Foods took time to ask me my story, share her own, and squeeze my hand and offer her prayers --- really an incredible five-minute experience (no, there wasn't anyone behind me in line).

What a lovely thing for her to do. It is amazing how far a little kindness can do. I'm sending some cyber hugs your way too, puglogic!

Feeling really thankful today that my heart is moving toward contentment once again. I had an ugly case of the wants for awhile, and I don't like myself when that happens. I am noticing the true joy that comes with simplicity (rather than the hollow, transient happiness that comes with stuff) making its way back into my life.

puglogic
3-29-12, 7:09pm
Blessings to you, Kat.

Kat
3-30-12, 12:44am
Baby girl is teething, so neither one of us is sleeping much. I am thankful for my mother who today reminded me to enjoy every second--even the hard ones--because "babies don't keep." Also feeling thankful I have a nice bed to collapse into. :)