PDA

View Full Version : The Artist

pony mom
2-29-12, 9:51pm
Finally I saw The Artist. I first heard about it last October and have been dying to see it. I loved it. First of all, I love anything that takes place in the 20s, love the hair and clothes. This movie didn't disappoint me. It was so beautifully shot, the sets were gorgeous, and the leads were wonderful. And the doggie too.

It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but so enjoyable and well done and I hope there are similar movies made in the future.

Anyone else see it?

iris lily
2-29-12, 10:30pm
I suppose I will watch it, but being in the movie malaise that I am this year, it's hard to get enthused about anything. I've been using NEtflix like crazy, watching some great tv shows and some foreign films, but I've pretty much boycotted Hollywood this year.I saw a few of the Oscar nominated films and many were fine but there was nothing I loved.

Jemima
2-29-12, 10:36pm
Thanks for the recommendation. I retired in September and am just now getting used to the idea of relaxing with a good movie. As an artist (although not, perhaps, a very good one and certainly not famous), this movie intrigues me.

The Storyteller
3-5-12, 11:36am
I saw it Saturday and loved it, although am thoroughly convinced it did not deserve best pic, and Pitt was robbed blind.

Loved the end bit.

Not a great year for film, obviously.

catherine
3-5-12, 12:03pm
I loved it... and I read an interesting article (can't remember where) that said that the reason The Artist won is really for the same reason Shirley Temple was so popular in the post-Depression era.... people love to cling to what is hopeful and certain when economic times are tough... so we feel happy going back in time (although probably there are not too many people around who lived during the silent movie era). Nostalgia; young, cute things (ie Shirley Temple and Uggie the dog); and Hope--those are things we cling to when we feel unsure about the future.

loosechickens
3-5-12, 8:24pm
We saw it last week, and truly enjoyed it........in a movie business that is chock full of prequels and sequels and copycat films of any other film that was successful, I celebrate movie makers that go out and make movies that are different from what is on offer, and what promises a "sure" profit........

Although old, I am from way later than the silent movie period, so was really amazed at the depth of emotion and story that could be achieved, virtually without words.....

And the dog was a real cutie..... ;-)

The Storyteller
3-6-12, 7:30pm
I loved it... and I read an interesting article (can't remember where) that said that the reason The Artist won is really for the same reason Shirley Temple was so popular in the post-Depression era.... people love to cling to what is hopeful and certain when economic times are tough... so we feel happy going back in time (although probably there are not too many people around who lived during the silent movie era). Nostalgia; young, cute things (ie Shirley Temple and Uggie the dog); and Hope--those are things we cling to when we feel unsure about the future.

Interesting, but that would explain why it was popular (it isn't). Not sure that would apply to awards.

I'm inclined to think it is something more visceral. Actors can relate to a character struggling against age and falling out of touch with major new trends, out with the old in with the new that was the central theme of the film. We are in the middle of such an upheaval right now, with special effects and CGI taking more and more of a central role in today's movies, and it isn't at all clear to me how it is all going to shake out.

Plus it was a film about the film industry. A kind of inside story for insiders, and the Academy is nothing if not inside.

The Storyteller
3-6-12, 7:33pm
in a movie business that is chock full of prequels and sequels and copycat films of any other film

Singing in the Rain.