PDA

View Full Version : Honoring a 40th Birthday

puglogic
3-2-12, 9:42am
My lovely husband turns 40 next week (a youngster! LOL) and although he's trying to pretend that it's just another birthday, I know it feels like a milestone of sorts to him.

I've been scratching my head trying to think of a nice way to honor this milestone for him. The standard huge party with everyone wearing mourning black isn't appropriate, because a) we're frugal and b) he wouldn't find that amusing --- he's looking forward to the next chapter in his life. And a birthday card with "hey, have a nice decade" doesn't seem right either. He's a smart, sweet, funny, and slightly quiet man with a good sense of humor.

Have you ever been part of a "milestone" birthday that moved you, or made you really smile, or you thought was pretty darned neat? I'm just fishing for ideas, if anyone has any. Thanks!

iris lily
3-2-12, 9:48am
Having a few people your know write a note to him specifically about how they handled turning 40 (what they did that day, how they felt about it, etc.) might be nice if you can get people to do it. OF course you are limited to those who are at least 40 and maybe that's not many in your social circle! Extend the circle to relatives.

mtnlaurel
3-2-12, 10:12am
40 is a significant #.

Things that pop into my mind:
Noah's Ark - 40 days and 40 nights
Jesus' 40 days in the desert
40 ounce --- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=40 -- make a nice dinner and buy him a 40 oz. malt liquor as a gag gift (pun intended)
I'm sure there have to be more I'm not thinking of

I don't know how you work all that together into cute little clever surprises throughout the day... but that would be fun to figure out.

Go onto Google Maps and pick a location 40 miles away from your home to go celebrate.

iris lily
3-2-12, 10:14am
40 is a significant #.

Things that pop into my mind:
Noah's Ark - 40 days and 40 nights
Jesus' 40 days in the desert
40 ounce --- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=40 -- make a nice dinner and buy him a 40 oz. malt liquor as a gag gift (pun intended)
I'm sure there have to be more I'm not thinking of

I don't know how you work all that together into cute little clever surprises throughout the day... but that would be fun to figure out.

Go onto Google Maps and pick a location 40 miles away from your home to go celebrate.

I love these ideas, they are great!

sweetana3
3-2-12, 10:24am
People could each give him 40 funny gifts. 40 pennies, 40 pieces of candy, 40 pencils, 40 colored paperclips, set of 40 screws, etc. This went over very well at another party I heard of. They loved trying to find a funny idea to build their gifts around and it was to be funny not expensive.

Float On
3-2-12, 10:34am
Write him a letter with 40 gratitudes. Things you love, appreciate, and are thankful for him choosing you to partner with in life.
Allow him time (if he likes alone time) to come up with a list of 40 things he'd like to accomplish this 40th year.
*I made my list of 45 this last weekend while I was away on my personal retreat which was the absolute best birthday present I've ever been given
It can include everything from personal goals, to foods he'd like to try, activities he'd like to do, places he'd like to see, etc.

Miss Cellane
3-2-12, 11:09am
My lovely husband turns 40 next week (a youngster! LOL) and although he's trying to pretend that it's just another birthday, I know it feels like a milestone of sorts to him.

I've been scratching my head trying to think of a nice way to honor this milestone for him. The standard huge party with everyone wearing mourning black isn't appropriate, because a) we're frugal and b) he wouldn't find that amusing --- he's looking forward to the next chapter in his life. And a birthday card with "hey, have a nice decade" doesn't seem right either. He's a smart, sweet, funny, and slightly quiet man with a good sense of humor.

Have you ever been part of a "milestone" birthday that moved you, or made you really smile, or you thought was pretty darned neat? I'm just fishing for ideas, if anyone has any. Thanks!

You say he's looking forward to the next chapter in his life. Then do something that honors that--whatever it is. If he has specific plans, the perfect present would be something that supports them. Just before he turned 40, my brother told me that he wanted to go camping and hiking in a few specific National Parks. For his birthday, I gave him a box filled with all sorts of information about those parks--maps, books, brochures, bells to put on his backpack to ward off bears. All my siblings went in together and got him a new camera.

If he doesn't have specific plans, then something that might help him figure out what he wants to do. Or something that will give him a chance to explore some ideas.

Nella
3-2-12, 5:30pm
I've experienced and celebrated two milestone birthdays, my 40th and 50th, by having a "party" that in some way assists my favorite charities. At 40 I had about 30 friends meet up at a Habitat for Humanity building site and we worked all day installing the finishing touches of the home (landscaping, painting, etc.) So many more people showed up than I was expecting that they had to call in extra supervisors and open up another house to work on. My 50th birthday party was a "shower" for mens clothing and toiletry items, along with kitchen items for the homeless shelter I work at. My wonderful friends donated so much it took three trips in a Chevy Suburban to get it all down to the shelter. In both cases I got to have a "party" and my favorite charities benefited. Everybody's already asking what I've got planned for 60!

puglogic
3-3-12, 8:03pm
Thanks, everybody. Really wonderful suggestions.

Zoebird
3-4-12, 3:00am
this was helpful for me too. DH turns 40 this year, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for his birthday.

not quite sure yet what it will be, but a babysitter is getting lined up. :D

nswef
3-10-12, 5:44pm
When my nephew turned 40 I made him a jar with 40 slips in it with different activities. Some silly ( sing Sesame Street), do jumping jacks, list your favorite songs. Some were meditative. He seemed to like it. For my mother's 85th I made a dvd of pictures from her life. We used it for her funeral as well.