PDA

View Full Version : Favourite tastes...

Mrs-M
1-23-11, 3:20pm
Thanks to Shalom_Poet for suggested this thread topic in another forum and for me to start it. Thanks Shalom!!! :)

To add a little "extra" to this thread I thought we could (on top of sharing our favourite tastes with each another) share favourite tastes of ours that remind us of home.

Here are but a few of mine.

Moms Christmas Shortbread Cookies.
Mandarin oranges at Christmas.
Turkey Dinner (Christmas, Thanksgiving).

Gina
1-23-11, 4:29pm
These don't necessarily remind me of home however. >8)

-Fresh, right off the tree ripe fruits. Apricots first place, Oranges second
-Fresh crisp French bread and good, sweet butter.
-Turkey holiday dinner - thigh meat, mashed taters, and stuffing with gravy - forget the rest. ;)
-Really good champagne
-some cheeses
-lettuce salad with ample avocado.
-cooked, cool garden beans with avocado (and onion) in vinagrette dressing
-really fine chocolates - nothing generic
-bbq meats - steak, ribs, chicken
-cake - Carrot (without pineapple) or German chocolate top the list

As a foodie, this list could get really long :laff:

Sad Eyed Lady
1-23-11, 5:04pm
There is one thing that can whisk me back to childhood, and that is a piece of egg custard pie. My grandmother used to make these with lots of nutmeg on top, and a bite is like going home again.

IshbelRobertson
1-23-11, 5:20pm
The homely taste of haggis. neeps and tatties (It's the Burns' Supper season here in Scotland and amongst Scottish descendants around the globe)

Shortbread

The taste of my own marmalades, curds and preserves.

Hattie
1-23-11, 6:01pm
Warm bread slopped with butter and warm chocolate chip cookies. hmmm...not exactly healthy but I don't think that was a criteria for the thread. rrrrr

Wildflower
1-23-11, 11:45pm
My grandmother used to cook wonderful roast beef dinners with mashed potatoes and gravy and yeast rolls. This was my favorite at her house.

My mother baked wonderful peanut butter cookies. Many days when I came home from school I would smell that wonderful aroma emanating from the kitchen. She also made a pineapple upside down cake that was really yummy.

And of course, holiday dinners were the best. I loved the traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner I grew up with and always serve my own family the same. Christmas dinner has really varied over the years with the menu, but it has always been wonderful as well. All of the above remind me of home. :)

redfox
1-24-11, 3:06am
Strawberries, very ripe, picked in the late afternoon, so they are warm.
Jersey milk fresh from the cow, cooled a bit so the cream settles. (Great on fresh strawberries!)
My awesome whole wheat oat bread with sunflower seeds - fresh from the oven, with unsalted butter and honey on it.
Over roasted root vegetables, tossed in olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
Grilled asparagus marinated in Amy's Shiitake Sesame Seed dressing.
Rosemary sorbet. Pistachio gelato. Cherry Garcia ice cream.
I could go on... but I'm trying to lose some weight!

Gregg
1-24-11, 10:04am
Well, my favorite smell was fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Let's just say I don't stand around sniffing them all day! :D

Mrs-M
1-24-11, 10:51am
Love all the lists!!!

Float On
1-24-11, 12:40pm
Now I'm very hungry!

cinnamon pie (it's a custard pie, old family reciepe)
home made egg noodles with lots of gravy
veggie springrolls and peanut sauce from a certain Vietnamese restaurant in Philly
that first sip of really good coffee first thing in the morning, fresh from the french press
my mom's pecan pie
grandma's brown sugar cookies
watermelon - a really good one on a really hot day

Mrs-M
1-24-11, 5:37pm
You guys can invite me over for dinner and dessert to your homes anytime! :) Oh boy.

Tenngal
1-24-11, 8:42pm
homegrown tomatoes
fresh white corn
fresh okra-fried golden brown
good cornbread
blackberry cobbler-fresh berries
peach cobbler-fresh peaches
biscuits and gravy
black coffee

kally
1-24-11, 9:27pm
that first nose blasting bite of sushi with wasabi.

Mrs-M
1-25-11, 7:12pm
Wonderful additions Tenngal and Kally. :) When it comes to fresh vegetables, nothing beats homegrown garden cucumbers and tomatoes! The taste, the smell, so good!

pony mom
1-26-11, 12:15am
Shortbread cookies, the more buttery, the better
Clotted cream on a scone with strawberry jam

Gee, can you tell I like fatty foods? It's amazing that I've been thin my entire life.

Rosemary
1-26-11, 5:25am
a fresh peach, warm from sunshine.
homegrown asparagus.
the combination of chocolate + fruits - sour cherries, raspberries, orange, etc.

Mrs-M
1-26-11, 11:11am
I love this thread! Such a nasty/evil/shameful/innocent topic. :devil: