PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins and supplements?

Greg44
1-23-11, 4:42pm
Do you take a regular vitamin or supplements? Especially interested in those 50+ ;)
Do you think they work?

bae
1-23-11, 4:52pm
I was feeling a bit "off" the last year, after much analysis, blood tests showed I basically had no Vitamin D in my system. Something about the fog and dark here. So I'm on supplements for that, and now 8 months later, most of the symptoms are gone.

pinkytoe
1-23-11, 5:16pm
I an fifty plus and do not take supplements of any kind.

Hattie
1-23-11, 5:54pm
I believe if you eat healthy you don't need supplements. Having said that - if you have had some blood work done that shows a drastic deficiency in something (ie iron, calcium, etc.) and the doctor recommends a specific supplement then I say absolutely. My iron is always very low. I can't donate blood because it is too low for them to accept. If I am planning on a blood donation, I will take some iron supplements (suggested by the blood clinic) a month before and then I am good to go. Otherwise, I don't bother. *S*

One time when I asked my doctor what he thought about daily vitamins he stated, "all it does is give you expensive pee". :laff:

Azure
1-23-11, 6:17pm
Well I take a multi-vitamin. Calcium w/D. I also was regularly rejected by the blood banks because my iron was too low. So I started taking Bifera iron supplements. I couldn't believe how much better I felt. I tried switching to a less expensive Slowfe. My iron levels were good but I just didn't feel it. So I switched back to the Bifera. Just earlier this week I added Krill oil supplements & once again I feel an improvement. A lot of my muscle aches have really improved.

I am over 50.

herbgeek
1-23-11, 6:43pm
I do it as a "it won't hurt me so why not" sort of thing. I take a multi-mineral/vitamin that's chewable, a vitamin C gummy, and fish oil gummies. Yes, I am still 8 years old. Do I notice a difference? Well I don't get sick nearly as much as my hubby, and I feel great most of the time, but that could also be due to other lifestyle factors like regular exercise, fastidious hand washing, reasonable diet.

razz
1-23-11, 7:15pm
DH was advised to take a full vitamin pill daily and I keep him company. If he has to remember just for himself, he will skip but if he remembers for my sake, he takes two tablets out of the bottle - one each for both of us.

sweetana3
1-23-11, 7:24pm
Please just remember to tell your doctors about anything you take. Anything.

JaneV2.0
1-23-11, 8:04pm
When I'm well into nutrition geekery and tracking what I'm eating (FitDay), I can supplement just in areas where I've fallen short--usually a couple of B-vitamins and magnesium. On a daily basis, I like COQ10 for heart support, Iodoral (iodine) for my dormant thyroid, D3 to make up for my indoor lifestyle, Carlson's cod liver oil and/or Kirkland's fish oil to counter my aversion to seafood, B-50 complex for nervous system support and as an anti-inflammatory, and magnesium for general health and muscle relaxation. Oh, and Brazil nuts for selenium, because depleted soils don't provide much. In general, I meet or exceed my nutrient requirements. I need to eat more organ meat--an absolute nutritional powerhouse, full of B-vits.

Susan
1-23-11, 8:58pm
I'm only 47 but I'll chime in. I take flaxseed oil daily and it really helps my knees and thins my blood. When I don't take it for a few days my knees will start to ache again. As for the blood thinning, several years ago I had to have a minor surgical procedure done. As per standard procedure, I stopped taking anything that could thin my blood for a week before. The day before the procedure I had to get my usual thyroid test. It was amazing how slowly my blood flowed without the flaxseed oil! I was fascinated as I watched it .
I also take a daily multi, D3, butturbur (helps lessen migraine frequency and severity-really seems to help), Flora-glo (for eyes) and niacin(for cholesterol).
I also have had good experiences with rhodiola for energy when mine is low.

H-work
1-23-11, 9:34pm
I believe there is a difference between supplements and vitamins made from food and plants vs. the cheap, synthetic ones made in the lab. It's a case where you get what you pay for.

Azure
1-24-11, 9:50am
I have used whole food vitamins in the past & just yesterday decided that when I run out of my current vits. I am going to get some more. I'll try to see if it makes a difference for me.

Stella
1-24-11, 10:12am
I take prenatal vitamins (I'm pregnant) and vitamin D, doctor's orders. Like bae I live in a place that lacks sunlight this time of year. This is the first time I've taken vitamin D and I'm feeling a big difference. DH has been taking it too and noticed a difference in energy level.

H-work
1-24-11, 10:37am
Since giving my kids Vit D3 chewable 3 years ago, none have had a cold or a flu beyond a few sniffles. My son did have a cough last year, I found out that he had stopped taking his vitamins. When he started back on them, his cough went away. Ages 1 thru 11 year old. Whooping cough went thru our town and tho they were directly exposed, didn't get it at all (not even a mild case as some do). The kids aren't vaccinated for whooping cough. The only time the baby has had a fever was when she was teething, 3 teeth were popping out at the same time.

ljevtich
1-24-11, 12:01pm
DH & I take a few vitamins and supplements. Although I read Michael Pollen's Food Rules, which stated that "Be the kind of person who takes supplements-then skip the supplements".

We know that people who take supplements are generally healthier than the rest of us, and we also know that in controlled studies most of the supplements they take don't appear to be effective. How can this be? Supplement takers are healthy for reasons that have nothing to do with pills. They're typically more health conscious, better educated, and more affluent. They're also more likely to exercise and eat whole grains. So to the extent you can, be the kind of person who would take supplements, and then save your money. (There are exceptions to this rule, for people who have a specific nutrient deficiency or are older than fifty. As we age, our need for antioxidants increases while our body's ability to absorb them from the diet declines. And if you don't eat much fish, it couldn't hurt to take a fish oil supplement too.)

We take B-12, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, and Fish Oil. DH takes glucosamine chondroitin and I take two herbal supplements: Black Cohosh for menopause symptoms and Stinging Nettle for nose congestion (although it has not seemed to work, might stop taking it this week.)

We also eat pretty healthy, exercise at least three times a week (nice long hikes) and drink lots of water.

I am also considering going to a naturopathic doctor just to make sure our general health is OK.

Simplemind
1-24-11, 2:04pm
Niacin, D3, Omega-3

JaneV2.0
1-24-11, 2:31pm
"Black Cohosh for menopause symptoms and Stinging Nettle for nose congestion (although it has not seemed to work, might stop taking it this week.)"

One of a few notable symptoms that cleared up when I took gluten out of my diet was a tendency toward stuffy breathing, interestingly enough.

Mrs-M
1-24-11, 5:49pm
Age 47 here, squeak, squeak, squeak, I feel much better when on a regular program of vitamin supplements. More awake, more energy, feel younger, better sleep, etc. I think there's something to it.

redfox
1-24-11, 6:26pm
Yup. Glucosamine|Chondriotin for knees, D because I live in Seattle. Then c & zinc when I'm getting the crud. Yes, they all help. I get plant based supplements.

Wildflower
1-25-11, 4:41am
I'm 53 and take a few. I have Lupus and what I take really benefits me. When I've not taken them for awhile I get sick everytime. Due to the Lupus my immune systems doesn't work well, so I need to do whatever I can to help it along. I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, glucosamine chondroitin with MSM, D3, B6 and B12, 2 low dose aspirin, and extra vit. C.

treehugger
1-25-11, 12:38pm
I take 1500 mg of niacin a day (OTC but doctor-prescribed) for cholesterol reduction (instead of an Rx statin).

I have taken a multivitamin every day since I was a teenager. Sure, we should all be getting all the nutrients we need from our food, but I think of it as a backup, as cheap insurance.

I also take iron now since I started to have trouble giving blood (was never anemic, then was suddenly often anemic, due to my age and increased menstrual flow) and that has really helped my monthly energy-level issues.

And finally, I take calcium citrate with vitamin D on days when I don't get enough calcium from other sources.

catherine
1-25-11, 12:54pm
I'm bad at remembering, but when I do remember, I take a multivitamin and calcium + Vitamin D. My SIL is a Melaleuca distributor, so I get them in the mail once a month. I'm in the "why not--might help and won't hurt" camp.

janharker
1-26-11, 3:29pm
I take fish oil every day on my doctor's orders. And I alternate a multi-vitamin and calcium/magnesium every other day.

The idea that if you eat healthy you don't need vitamins is troublesome. First, our soil is depleted and ruined from factory farming. Second, some of us can't get fresh fish without going into debt.

Anyway, taking my pills every morning hasn't hurt; hopefully it helps.

Greg44
1-28-11, 12:00pm
I made a trip to the vitamin & supp section on the stop -- sheezh -- it was a bit overwhelming. I decided after reading a few bottles to just get the "Men's pack" it seem to have all the basics - except Omega-3. I see Fish Oil and Flaxseed caplets...is one better than the other? I am a vegetarian so would rather not take the fish oil, but not totally against it.

ljevtich
1-28-11, 12:40pm
"Black Cohosh for menopause symptoms and Stinging Nettle for nose congestion (although it has not seemed to work, might stop taking it this week.)"

One of a few notable symptoms that cleared up when I took gluten out of my diet was a tendency toward stuffy breathing, interestingly enough.

Well, we do not eat much wheat, and what little we ate, I took out of the diet this week to see if it might clear up. So far it has not.

I think that the stuffy nose has happened because of living in the desert, both in Lake Mead and Canyonlands NP; there is major amounts of dust here. You can see the particles at night when you turn on a flashlight. It seems like I just have stuffiness in the morning.

Would gluten also include oats? I wiki it and the info was inconclusive. Thanks!

ljevtich
1-28-11, 1:06pm
I take fish oil every day on my doctor's orders. And I alternate a multi-vitamin and calcium/magnesium every other day.

The idea that if you eat healthy you don't need vitamins is troublesome. First, our soil is depleted and ruined from factory farming. Second, some of us can't get fresh fish without going into debt.

Anyway, taking my pills every morning hasn't hurt; hopefully it helps.

Well, if you get some of our fruits and veggies from organic sources, you are offsetting the soil depletion. Second, my DH and I have developed a strong liking to eating sprouts. Right now we are eating clover, onion, mustard, dill, and fenugreek mixture (called Russian Mix), alfalfa sprouts and a new one radish sprouts. We have them in our salads and sandwiches instead of lettuce.

The Russian Mix alone gets us:
Vitamins A, B, C, E and K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Amino Acids, Trace Elements, Antioxidants, Protein: 35%
Alfalfa Sprouts:
Vitamins A, B, C, E and K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Amino Acids, Trace Elements Protein: 35%
and Radish Sprouts:
Vitamins A, B, C, E and K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Amino Acids, Trace Elements, Antioxidants, Protein: 30-35%
So right there is our multi-vitamin.

He did say that fish oil tablets should be taken if no fish is eaten. So we take them. We just do not eat enough fish - tuna fish once every two to three weeks just does not cut it. And DH hates the oily fish.

Regarding fish oil vs flaxseed caplets, for us we take fish oil, and eat ground flaxseed in our oatmeal. WebMD has an article, but the research was done by the Flaxseed industry so I really don't know. There are different types of Omega - 3s to deal with, so taking both can't hurt.
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20080912/flaxseed-oil-pills-vs-fish-oil-pills

JaneV2.0
1-28-11, 2:07pm
You can buy certified gluten-free oats. I think the problem is cross-contamination either at the cultivation level, or in packaging.

ljevtich
1-28-11, 3:35pm
Thanks JaneV2.0 - I have read about the cross-contamination for oats.

loosechickens
1-28-11, 3:56pm
ljevtich.....one thing that really helps with "desert stuffy nose", which is most often caused by swelling of the nasal passages from the dryness is to just go to the drugstore and get a generic bottle of "saline spray", carry it in your purse and use it several times a day at least. Obviously, you could just snuffle up a bit of salt water, but the stuff from the drugstore is a handy squeeze bottle and very inexpensive.

JaneV2.0
1-29-11, 1:33pm
"Salt water snuffle" is also a great way (along with a bit of zinc and vitamin C) to head off a cold or other upper respiratory infection. I like to make my own saline solution for that.

Glo
1-31-11, 2:37am
I'm 63 and take a multivitamin and calcium daily. I'm rarely sick. I've shrunk 2-1/2 inches within the last 3 years.

ljevtich
2-1-11, 2:40am
Thanks LC and Jane, I actually got the saline stuff the day you suggested it, AND it has cleared it up pretty well! I guess I need a little extra humidity in my nose!

Quite nice Glo - I wish I could lose inches from a multivitamin...But I think you mean you are healthy and wise instead :)

elphaba
2-1-11, 8:11am
I take lots of vitamins. I am 65 with some family history of lots of auto-immune disease problems. I have a twin brother who has horrible problems with sinus infections but I have no such problems and I attribute it to the large amount of Vitamin C I take. The few times I forget to take it, I get "stopped up" pretty quickly. Also, my shin splints have disappeared after years of pain when I learned on Dr. Oz that soreness when you touch your shin (the front part) can indicate Vitamin D deficiency. My testing of Vitamin D was 30 which is supposed to indicate the normal range. But when I significantly increased my Vitamin D dosage, the shin splints have gone. (Also, learned on a health forum that Vitamin D is good for osteoarthritis which I have a family history of as well.) I'm continuing to monitor my Vitamin D with blood tests prescribed by the doctor - I know that too much can be toxic but I'm not in that range yet.

I even give my German Shepherd vitamins - we would have had to "put him down" by this point, he is 14 1/2 years old, were it not for the glucosamine, Vitamin C and Hyaluronic acid.

I tried eliminating Glucosamine from my regimen when I heard it can contribute to insulin resistance but the pain was just too much. Once I started taking Glucosamine again (it takes several weeks to "kick in"), the pain level from my osteo arthritis is much much more tolerable.

I could easily be convinced that taking vitamins regularly can cause a habit such that your body depends on them but I prefer spending 30 to 50 dollars per month on this habit and having "expensive urine" to the alternative.

I am 65 and only take thryoid medication. Over a dozen times have doctors prescribed me drugs but so far I have been able to hold off. I much prefer vitamins to taking the harsher prescription drugs.

Almost forgot to mention that MSM totally keeps my "tennis elbow" from causing me pain. I have tried eliminating it but the "tennis elbow" returns so I know MSM is responsible.

Mainstream medicine is more and more accepting vitamins but it requires that the doctors learn stuff they didn't learn in med school, something many of them don't want to do - many doctors prefer just taking the recommendations from the drug company representatives that visit them frequently.

I don't accept everything Dr. Oz reports on his show - I always research and evaluate first - but I think he is definitely part of changes that we will see more and more of in mainstream, thank goodness (IMO).

ljevtich
2-1-11, 1:14pm
What is MSM?

pinkytoe
2-1-11, 1:39pm
While I don't take any supplements, I do drink green smoothies every day and can attest that they are definitely improving my health. I use organic greens such as kale, spinach, chard and/or parsley bought at the farmer's market mixed with carrot juice or water, fruit and sometimes ginger and have that first thing in the morning. In that way, I hope I am getting some pretty good nutrients straight from the plant. The thing that gets me about all this supplement biz is that we all have slightly different metabolisms or needs so there is no one size fits all, but lots of trial and error and listening to your body and how you feel. I feel better without taking supplements after years of trying this and that. I am also leery of what's really in them since so many of their ingredients are now processed in China.

Greg44
2-3-11, 3:44pm
I have been taking the Men's pack of vitamins each morning with my breakfast -- but since I have been having stomach problems -- I will spare you the details. Oh, heck we are all friends here right?! Upset stomach, some diarrhea, gas, etc. Nice.
:help:

JaneV2.0
2-3-11, 4:50pm
MSM is a derivative of DMSO, I think. It has a sulfur component and is supposed to be good for joints. Googling....

From Wikipedia:

The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects.[3][4] Any health effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM.[5][6] Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., of the Oregon Health and Science University, reports using MSM to treat over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments.[7] According to one review, "The benefits claimed far exceed the number of scientific studies. It is hard to build a strong case for its use other than for treating arthritis problems."[8]

And speaking of brushes with greatness, I had a three-degrees-of separation connection to Dr. Jacob that will go unreported here. :cool: DMSO is an interesting substance. It's an industrial solvent as well as a topical treatment. I poured some in my ear once, and I'm happy to report that --though some might disagree--my brain didn't dissolve.

janharker
2-3-11, 7:48pm
I just started taking 40 mg. per day of Black Cohosh 3 days ago for mild hot flashes. How long do I have to wait before it starts working.

mira
2-4-11, 6:39am
I would rather consult my doctor before taking supplements to see if they're really necessary. Just because you're taking them doesn't mean they are being absorbed into your system.

HappyHiker
2-5-11, 1:40pm
Yep, I take a handful of supplements daily (when I remember). I think they've made a significant difference in my wellness level. Lowered my blood pressure with magnesium (most of us are deficient in this mineral) and I rarely get colds or flu and if I do, it's a much milder case than what's going around.

Sure I'd like to say I eat a perfectly balanced diet, but I don't--I just had crustless pumpkin pie for lunch, for example...but since it's high in fiber and beta carotene, I view it as a health food--lol. And I used molasses instead of sugar...excuses, excuses, eh?

Cypress
2-5-11, 3:34pm
I am 50 and take Senior multivitamin for women. Every morning I take GABA, a supplement for anxiety. During the day, I make sure to drink a glass of orange juice. I try to eat as well and balanced a diet as I can daily. Also, I have 1/2 glass of a green drink. Trader Joe's sells a tasty excellent blend as does Boathouse.

reader99
2-5-11, 9:13pm
I know lots of people over 40 who say they feel better since they started taking an ordinary multivitimin. Me, too. Also I take Taurine to help with my sensitivity to fragrances and everyday chemicals. When I started taking extra iron, the little tachycardia I was having stopped.

larknm
2-9-11, 8:54pm
I am 68 and started about 3 months ago seeing an applied kineseologist who has put me on several supplements and a mult-vitamin that I test well for (did nt for the one I was taking for years). For the first time in my life I feel sound--like, if I'm tired I feel tired but healthy instead of wiped out. I never took any of the supplements before, and couldn't have come up with them on my own. I was taking some before that I stopped because didn't test well for them.