PDA

View Full Version : Need to name our Farm.....Help?

TMC
3-6-12, 10:04am
I'm not sure where to put this, I thought gardening and farming would be good. After a few years of fooling around with our farming we decide to get a little together and organized.

(unless you work for the USDA and sent me that survey, than there is not any farming going on here :laff:)

So anywho we are going to name the place, get a sign, tax id and get official. We probably will not make money as we both have full time jobs but we decided that if we don't start now we never will. We have been brainstorming for years for a name for our farm. I'm sure somebody here has a good idea.

Here's our details:
1. We grow and sell eggs, pork, all free range, natural, however we are not certified organic.
2. We want to expand in the future to other things, chickens, fruits, veggies so we need a name that encompasses all types of agriculture.
3. We own ten acres of land. We keep children, goats, pigs, chickens, turkeys, cats, dogs etc. Our land consists of mainly open pastures, no woods.

Anybody have any ideas......our fall back is "Our last name" Farms. But we really wanted something catchy. Something that says we believe in growing our own, healthy food. Anybody?

goldensmom
3-6-12, 10:24am
Most farms in this area are big dairy or crop farms and are "Our Last Name" Farm but our farm (crop farm) is named after a physical aspect, 'Maple Ridge', because we have a lot of maple trees on a ridge . With open pasture land I'd probably look at a name with the word 'meadow' in it. What is your primary wild animal in the area? Wild animal, for example, fox + physical aspect of meadow = 'Fox Meadow Farm'. Or you could go cute with something like "Piggly Patch Farm". Still thinking.

kally
3-6-12, 11:26am
can you give a bit more detail on the look of the farm, trees, hills, etc.

we have a farm in town called Hatch-A-Bird farm. I think that is clever.
or something with nature in it. Nature's Meadow farm.
Little Wing farm is another one around here.
Clucking Bird Farm

Anne Lee
3-6-12, 11:52am
My in laws have a Christmas tree farm named after the creek that flows by the property. What's a prominent local flower or bird?

Float On
3-6-12, 12:07pm
Our business is "Riverside _______" because we live in "Riverside Acres Estates" and a lot of our items are named after water things.
My house name is "RockRidge Cabin" because we're on a rocky ridge - lots of natural stone patios in my yard and lots of rock walls.

Just real quickly a few things that came to mind:
"HomeGrown10 Farm"
"Ten Acre Plenty Farm"
"Meadow More Farm"

Oh and by the way I would never recommend "Riverside ______" to anyone for a business name it's way too overused. We've ended up having to DBA (husband's name) because galleries were sending our paychecks to another Riverside _____. Our incorporation laywer apparently didn't look very far when we had him research our name requests.

redfox
3-6-12, 12:51pm
The farm I managed eith my ex was named J Bar J, after the two founders, both with first names that started with J. It's a classic formula.

Mrs-M
3-6-12, 1:54pm
Oh, I love naming threads!!!

Scapegoat Farm. (My favourite)!
Coats & Tails Farm.
Green Acres Farm.
Sleepy Meadows.
Farm Fresh Goodness. (From out table, to yours)...

catherine
3-6-12, 2:17pm
My opinion is you should use your name--maybe [Last name] Family Farm. People want connections: if they're going the family farm route, they want to know more about their "neighbor." Also, you brand yourself, and that's always a good way to differentiate yourself.

There are enough "Happy Acres" types of names of farms out there. Just MHO.

Mrs-M
3-6-12, 2:38pm
What a party-pooper you are, Catherine! :~)

catherine
3-6-12, 2:53pm
What a party-pooper you are, Catherine! :~)

Maybe I'm just not in a very creative mood today!

:confused:

peggy
3-6-12, 3:28pm
Oh I love naming homes! I just love how the British name their homes, and everyone around knows that name for that house/estate. We, too are trying to come up with a name for our place. We have 7 acres, and although we have fruit trees/bushes, a large fish pond and a large natural fen, we aren't really a farm. The property is more like a park really, so I want something like Rosepark, or Fenpark, but dh not so much.
Sorry, not really trying to hijack the thread. I'm enjoying reading all the names y'all are coming up with.

Mrs-M
3-6-12, 3:30pm
Originally posted by Peggy.
Oh I love naming homes!Me, too!!!

goldensmom
3-6-12, 4:31pm
Me, too!!!

Me three.

TMC
3-6-12, 5:39pm
You guys are such fun.....I LOVE some of these ideas.

Ok, some more answers, we live at the top of a hill with mostly pasture. New wooden barn with a red metal roof....hmmmm, flowers, lots of wild daisys and golden rod :laff:.

I am hoping for something kind of whimsical.....husband wants something sophisticated...two opposite ends of the spectrum.....

Keep em coming.....I knew you guys would have some god ones, I'm going to put them up for family discussion tonight.

redfox
3-6-12, 7:16pm
Naming homes... well, ours would have to be something like Lil' Grey-in-the-'Hood.

razz
3-6-12, 7:38pm
What is a significant historical or geographic feature around you?
When you develop a name, always remember that one day you will sell the property and if an attached business name has built up a clientele, it adds value.
If you might end up breeding an animal that will require registration, remember that the name will be potentially posted in the prize winner circle so don't go cutesy or gimmicky.
Go for class any way that you can. Is there a famous book that resonates with you like Wind in the Willows Nursery or Acres?

TMC
3-6-12, 8:55pm
What is a significant historical or geographic feature around you?
When you develop a name, always remember that one day you will sell the property and if an attached business name has built up a clientele, it adds value.
If you might end up breeding an animal that will require registration, remember that the name will be potentially posted in the prize winner circle so don't go cutesy or gimmicky.
Go for class any way that you can. Is there a famous book that resonates with you like Wind in the Willows Nursery or Acres?

I love Little House on The Prairie books, I don't know if there's anything there?

Zemma
3-6-12, 9:43pm
I like names that have a colour in them, especially something warm like Golden Meadows Farm or White Cloud Pastures or Green Fenlands - makes the name feel even more alive.

And I also agree with Razz - 'When you develop a name, always remember that one day you will sell the property and if an attached business name has built up a clientele, it adds value.'

We are the third people to own our farm and the business name (strong, neutral) came with the farm. We found it very helpful and easy to continue with the same customers who knew the farm and products, labelling etc. If had had been named [Family Name] Farm, we would have had to forfeit a good bit of the goodwill and all of the branding. I would suggest any option but this one!

Amaranth
3-8-12, 4:23pm
Something Classic, Neutral, Sophisticated is likely to work best in the long run.
Something higher in the alphabet can work to your advantage.
Watch the initials (Golden Acre Gardens which sounds lovely = GAG)
Consider photo/logo possibilities.
Google anything to check if other people are using the name. You can differentiate the legal name as _ _ Farms of Your State and just call it __ __ Farms if something on the other side of the country has the same type name.
See if you can get the website name for it.
Avoid calling it anything that is likely now/future to have a legal definition such as organic, natural.
Try to avoid a name that makes it sound like only one thing is produced there.

Apple Creek Farm
Berry Adventures Farm
Cherry Hill Farm
Egg Gatherers Garden (initals are EGG; there needs to be an apostrophe in there somewhere)
Golden Apple Meadows
Greenland Farms
Homestead Gardens
Leafy Greens Farm
Moonstone Gardens
Plum Blossom Farm
Quail Valley Farm
Salad Mix Farm
Spring Mix Farm
Stone Soup Gardens
The Abundant Basket
The Beekeeper’s Garden
The Omelet Maker’s Garden

HappyHiker
3-8-12, 4:59pm
For no particular reason other than channeling what pops into my head--

--Pheasant Run Farm
--Button Quail Ridge ('cause they'e so cute)
--Daisy Spring Farm
--Valley Sky Farm
--Viewmont Acres
--Star Ridge Farm
--Laughing Spring Farm
--Birdsong Valley Farm
--Meadow Lark Farm
--Spring Garden Farm
--Happy Belly Aces (just for the fun of it)

kally
3-8-12, 5:45pm
I was going to say Golden Meadows Farm but someone got to it before me.

catherine
3-8-12, 6:34pm
OK, here's my brain dump:
--Sweet Pea Farms
--Rain Water Farm
--From the Ground Up Farm
--Sweet Tweet Farms
--Hardy Harvest (OK, if you really want to get silly, Hardy Har-Harvest)

--
--

TMC
3-10-12, 8:22pm
Thanks so much everybody......we are down to a few names now....thanks to all your ideas.

"last name" Family Farm
Spring Mix Farm
Hickory Hill Farm ( for the hill we live on and the local hickory trees)

We were struggling with just using our last name but somebody here suggested "last name" FAMILY Farm which DH really seemed to like. That might be the final winner. We are taking a family vote this weekend. :)

Gregg
3-14-12, 3:25pm
Our family ranch is the Bar N. Our last name starts with an N. We liked it because, as kids, our favorite part was the big, red BarN. Anyway, not terribly creative, but if you come up with a (literal) brand it can be very recognizable in advertising later.

lhamo
3-14-12, 5:19pm
How about Hickory Hill Family Farm? I like using local geography (before long, I bet everyone will be calling your area Hickory Hill), and I think putting the "family" in adds a nice non-corporate touch. Then in the future if you ever want to sell, the name doesn't have to change -- small detail, but I for one would feel wierd about both buying someone else'e farm and continuing to use their name OR changing the name of what has become a local institution.

And if you ever decide to expand or sell to a larger organization or go co-op with surrounding farms, you can just add an "s" and become "Hickory Hill Family Farms"

I wish I had a farm to name. I can't see myself naming my 3 sq m bit of porch...

lhamo

maribeth
3-16-12, 12:30pm
Can't Believe We Made It This Farm?

mamalatte
3-16-12, 1:29pm
Real Food Farm?

peggy
3-16-12, 1:58pm
Barn Hill Farms

Zoebird
3-16-12, 8:32pm
I like Hickory Hill. :D

Florence
3-16-12, 8:40pm
Bedlam Farm

TMC
3-23-12, 8:01am
Bedlam Farm

This does sum it up. :laff:

The decision was "last name" family farms. Found a nice reasonable priced sign handmade by someone with considerably more artistic ability than me and we're scraping and painting a sign post we had for that rustic look and it will be up this weekend.

Dh wanted to use the name and by adding on the "family" part we really liked what it portrayed. Thanks everybody!

Sissy
3-23-12, 11:51am
Bedlam Farm? I would wonder if you were selling nuts, wacky weed or strait jackets!

Our little place is called 3 Oaks because of the 3 wonderful ones right in the front. I really like Hickory Hill Farms, too.

There is a place a few miles from us that is called "Almosta Ranch". It took me a while to get it, lol!