PDA

View Full Version : The Lorax

Weston
3-6-12, 10:41am
Took my grandkids to see The Lorax movie this weekend. Still enjoying the irony of having to pay almost $50 to see a movie that preaches an anti-consumerism message.

Also really enjoyed watching all the characters hopping on their cool fossil fuel powered vehicles to go save the environment. ;)

"I am the Lorax. I speak for the SUVs"

(stolen from Forbes magazine review of the movie)

CathyA
3-6-12, 11:16am
I haven't seen it Weston, but I've thought the same thing about them taking a very simple, pro-environment message and turning it Hollywood. :(

puglogic
3-6-12, 12:25pm
I suppose, and I'd hope, that it might influence some younger folk in their formative years. That would be nice. But yeah, I can't go see it, or pay much attention to the massive machine putting it out......producing trillions of junky souvenirs......generating untold tons of greenhouse gases in its making and marketing.

I have the book, and it's lyrical and lovely. I can read it if I want a refresher.

ApatheticNoMore
3-6-12, 3:42pm
I haven't seen it Weston, but I've thought the same thing about them taking a very simple, pro-environment message and turning it Hollywood.

my suspicions also

razz
3-6-12, 5:39pm
It was a lovely outing for DGS and myself to enjoy together with some good laughs. The visuals were bright and cheerful and the bad guys were obvious. What I found most interesting and DGS got it - the wall around the town needed to be broken and a child did it.

Tiam
3-6-12, 11:26pm
I think Dr. Seuss became more politically correct over time. Remember Thidwick!?

peggy
3-7-12, 8:40am
I'm always hesitant to watch these modern movie versions of Dr. Seuss. They always seem to try to make it hip by injecting innuendo and 'oh so clever' bantering. It just ruins it for me. Dr. Seuss is/was sweet funny stories that usually had a moral, as most do but not all, but not overt or in your face. On the surface they were just plain fun to read. Hollywood always tries to fiddle with that.
Now the old version of The Grinch! Now that was good, and still is. Christmas isn't Christmas without the Grinch. The old cartoon one.

Alan
3-7-12, 8:50am
Now the old version of The Grinch! Now that was good, and still is. Christmas isn't Christmas without the Grinch. The old cartoon one.
"He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!"

kally
3-7-12, 1:13pm
I also like Dr. Seuss when the message was less visible. I really can't stand the Lorax and other books like that. I can only imagine what Hollywood has done to them. Not for me.

bke
3-8-12, 6:38pm
Alan, my local library hangs that same quote in the biggest window they have every year. Its one of my favorite things to see during the holidays!

Alan
3-8-12, 7:42pm
Alan, my local library hangs that same quote in the biggest window they have every year. Its one of my favorite things to see during the holidays!
That's one of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes, although I'm not sure if it's in the cartoon version Peggy mentioned. I've read the story hundreds of times to my grandboys. The anapestic tetrameter would put them to sleep... by the time the Grinch sat down to carve the roast beast.

rosarugosa
3-8-12, 7:44pm
Alan, it is in the old cartoon version narrated by Boris Karloff (I'm not sure if there's a newer cartoon version). I always loved the Grinch, but then he sells out in the end :(
Now me, I'm a real grinch!

liquid
4-18-12, 5:54am
Looks like it The Lorax received decent reviews. I'll probably get it once it comes out on DVD. Last Dr. Seuss movie I watched was Horton Hears a Who. That one was pretty funny I thought.