PDA

View Full Version : Xtracycle

ctg492
3-15-12, 4:42pm
Has anyone used one of these cargo bikes? If so your thoughts please.
All revitalized with the early warm spring and back to my biking everywhere possible. I really want to carry more, but a trailer I use is a bit much to pull up the "I can do it" hill I am forced to ride daily. These bikes look very neat. I would have to go a state away to try one out when I searched dealers. So any info would be nice.

ctg492
3-16-12, 1:43pm
I watched the Youtube clips and they sure look like nice bikes. I emailed the closest dealer and got a response of how easy they were to handle. SO I may just take a 5 hours day trip and go test one out. Today my panniers were way over loaded :(

Spartana
3-16-12, 2:43pm
I had to look this up as I never heard of it before. They sort of look ungainly to me and it would seem easier, cheaper and more flexible to just use a bike trailer (BOB, Yak, Ibex, etc... make great trailers for everything). But in any case I would suggest riding one first before deciding to buy one as they can be expensive. The kit to extend your current bike is lots cheaper than a whole new bike so maybe that's a better way to go. I have a bike trailer (one of the kind to haul 2 small kids in) that I have for my dog. I hauled a dog over 80 lbs and found that be pretty easy once I got up and going - starting off was a bit of a struggle though.

ctg492
3-16-12, 3:53pm
I have a TailWaggin trailer for my dog. I use it for stuff, just got back from recycling with it. The dog got way to big for it. It is medium size. I remember debating getting one large enough for an 85 pound dog. Hubby said If she got that big I would look silly carting her around in it. Well she got that big and now looks silly in the smaller size. I thought the bike would be easier. Yes I would try it out first and look at the kit too.

ctg492
4-4-12, 7:34am
No Xtracycle yet. The rest of this week I am going no (gas)car, only bike and my *. I have had to be in the car way to much and yesterday was enough. SO whatever I need will have to go in the pannier and the extra large grocery bike bag.
* GEM electric car I got batteries and plates for the this week. I am excited to hi the road with it again.

ctg492
7-5-12, 6:18am
I did not get one, but I did order an electric assist unit for my "grocery" bike. I am really excited to get it, suppose to arrive next week. I ride daily and am hoping to roll 3,600 miles this year. But grocery shopping with my weighted down bike and hills is a lot so let everyone know how it works out.

Spartana
7-5-12, 1:10pm
I did not get one, but I did order an electric assist unit for my "grocery" bike. I am really excited to get it, suppose to arrive next week. I ride daily and am hoping to roll 3,600 miles this year. But grocery shopping with my weighted down bike and hills is a lot so let everyone know how it works out.

That sounds like a better idea to me. It seems that you don't need the extra room (and weight) so much as maybe just a "push" every nbow and then when you are riding fully loaded. I've been riding alot with my (now) much smaller dog with a bike trailer (Walmart special!) and it's much easier then toting around the 80 lb dog. Would have loved to have an electric-assist motor on my bike then!

puglogic
7-5-12, 5:11pm
ctg, what brand did you order? I am interested in these too......do they fit any bike?

ctg492
7-12-12, 5:09am
Hill topper off eBay. Really 15 minutes to install. This brand came with 100% everything needed.many brands do not come with battery, so check to make sure. Any type bike, just relay the message to the seller. I am thrilled with it! It is for assisting your ride on hills. You just push the button and zoom up are up the hill. I noticed no change in pedaling compared to the unit not being on.
It is on my grocery bike, not my riding for exercise bike. I had one heavy load of groceries on a 20 mile ride, I used the assist on each hill, so nice! I will hop over and get the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-bike-hub-motor-conversion-kit-WITH-battries/320745494434?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=011&category=47349&cmd=ViewItem#ht_3293wt_922

flowerseverywhere
7-12-12, 7:16am
what a great idea CTG. I ride over 1,000 miles a year, but with just two of us and a big garden I rarely have to carry heavy loads. It looks like you have a great solution for the price some people pay for one month of a car payment!