PDA

View Full Version : PBS' American Experience: The Amish

Tradd
3-17-12, 7:26pm
I didn't see this posted at all. I watched it online last night and really enjoyed it. Very thoughtful. Although the Amish don't usually allow themselves to be filmed/photographed, some did allow it from the back or the side. A number allowed their voices to be recorded, so we hear directly from them throughout the program.

I discovered after posting this on Facebook, that at least Canadians in the Maritimes can watch on the PBS website, so I hope our other Canadian members here can watch, as well. Not sure about those outside of North America. The program is nearly two hours long.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2200745636

Anne Lee
3-17-12, 8:49pm
I saw it when it aired on TV. I work a lot with Hutterite colonies so what struck me the most was that the Amish didn't have a very strong accent. The Hutterites have very thick German accents.

I admire their faith and their ability to live such intensely communal lives. I don't think I could do it despite the advantages.

Mrs-M
3-17-12, 10:07pm
I just finished watching it, and wow, so interesting.

For as long as I can remember I have had a love for the way of the Amish, the Mennonite, and Hutterite people. Part of my love of these people and the way they live arises out of my love for all things farming. But as the one former Amish lady mentioned, you can't question anything, and I'd be just like her, so I'd be a definite wrong fit.

One particular part of the program I found touching, was the segment that followed the school shooting. Seeing winter had arrived, and seeing the horse running in the snow.

I also noticed the large trailer-cart the men were riding while gathering hay, it looked as though it had steel wheels on it with hard, solid rubber treads.

Florence
3-17-12, 10:11pm
Mrs-M, I too find the Amish very interesting but I can hardly imagine a worse fit for me. I thought the program was very well done and the photography was just lovely.

Mrs-M
3-17-12, 10:26pm
Oh, the scenery/setting really was gorgeous wasn't it, Florence. What I like about the way they live, is everything seems so structured and organized. No clutter to be seen.

goldensmom
3-18-12, 7:08am
I happened on to this program when it aired on PBS. I thought it was very good and very well done. Interesting sidebar, while trolling on Facebook recently, I found the Facebook pages of several local Amish youth. If I didn't know the kids personally, I'd question the authenticity of the pages but from my knowledge of the them I'm sure they are real.

Float On
3-18-12, 9:31am
I grew up in a town where there were hitching posts at all the grocery, drug, 5&dime, post office, feed stores and diners. Even when wal-mart came to town in the mid-70's they had hitching posts. There is a huge amish community not far from there. I always thought it was strange when we'd travel to another town and there weren't hitching posts. No hitching posts today, they just tie up to the big flood light posts at the supercenter.

goldensmom
3-18-12, 9:53am
I grew up in a town where there were hitching posts at all the grocery, drug, 5&dime, post office, feed stores and diners. Even when wal-mart came to town in the mid-70's they had hitching posts. There is a huge amish community not far from there. I always thought it was strange when we'd travel to another town and there weren't hitching posts. No hitching posts today, they just tie up to the big flood light posts at the supercenter.

Yes, the hitching posts, horse shelters with trash cans for manure, dodging horse manure in the road, following behind buggies and horse drawn equipment, buggy lanes through town, groups of denim clad bearded men at auction sales, women shopping attired in long dark dresses and dokes carrying babies with several stair-stepped children following, pony carts all become common place. One of my favorites is coming upon a buggy all jazzed up in LED lights and stickers with loud music coming from speakers in the buggy.....Amish kids out having a good time.

gail_d
3-18-12, 11:44pm
Great program. Purchased it on DVD as soon as the program was over and hope to use the DVD in my classes.

Zoebird
3-22-12, 6:10pm
I love this program in general. I really miss PBS, to be honest. :) We don't get a lot of those programs here.

I might just have to order the DVDs and get Mac the Ripper to change the region coding. :)

I would love for DS to watch these sorts of shows as he gets older.