PDA

View Full Version : Spring Peepers

dado potato
3-18-12, 9:02pm
My windows are open and I hear them! (For the first time this spring.)

Each year I get older their song means more to me, and more beautiful and merry than ever.

I will go to bed and they will sing "all through the night".

dado potato
3-18-12, 9:13pm
A youtube clip of spring peepers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SM6leUVorY

fidgiegirl
3-18-12, 9:15pm
Oh! It brings me back to my summers at camp. Thank you for posting.

Float On
3-18-12, 10:06pm
My little garden pond in the front yard is a very active peeper spot and it's been "active" for a week now.

loosechickens
3-18-12, 10:44pm
aaaahhhh.....the peepers......they and the first sighting of redwinged blackbirds used to be the sure signs of Spring, back when we lived a fixed based life in PA......even though snow would still be all around, and lots of mud as well, greyness everywhere, nothing green, we knew that when you heard those first peepers and that first oka-leeee from the blackbirds, the worst was over......

dado potato
3-18-12, 10:56pm
Amazing to me, the peepers were frozen solid all winter. What incredible or miraculous chemistry that allows them to thaw out not only Alive, but Romantic!

peggy
3-19-12, 8:30am
Aahh the peepers. Have them here too. We love them..the heron loves them..;)

CathyA
3-19-12, 11:32am
Ain't nature grand? Its just the best thing ever!

JaneV2.0
3-20-12, 6:31pm
Aahh the peepers. Have them here too. We love them..the heron loves them..;)

Here, the bald eagles love the herons...

I've heard these little fellows before, but didn't know what they were. Thanks for posting the link.

Stella
3-20-12, 9:05pm
Like Jane I didn't know what these were called either, but I've heard them before. Thanks for the video.

I love spring! Except for the mosquitos. I can't believe I am actually killing mosquitos already in March!

Float On
3-20-12, 10:04pm
Stella, I thought the same thing a couple weeks ago. Why on earth were were having mosquitos at the end of February!?!

Stella
3-20-12, 11:29pm
I hope the mosquito thing doesn't mean it's going to be an extra bad year for them this year. I am a mosquito magnet.

iris lily
3-21-12, 12:01am
If we are talking about spring and nature, I saw a dead little baby rabbit in his nest in the wood chip pile. He was at the perfect size, tiny but with all of his fur, just perfect. He hadn't started decomposing yet. He was the just the sweetest little thing, but I am glad he is dead and will not grow up to nibble my lilies.