PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Neighborhood Group

jennipurrr
3-19-12, 11:45am
A couple of friends of mine are members of groups on facebook for their neighborhoods. To me this sounds like a neat idea to foster community virtually. My neighborhood does not have an official association or anything like that, so I am not sure about how to go about starting one. Just put a page up there I guess.

Anyone done anything like this? We probably have about 50 houses altogether. I am "friends" on FB with a couple of my neighbors, but that's about it. Maybe put out fliers, go door to door? Door to door seems a little involved/exhausting for this introvert!

Also, I am a bit concerned it could devlove into some sort of gripe fest. I am a member of two yahoo groups for different HOAs where I have rental property and we had to put in strict rules in one so the griping and picking would stop. But, overall I think it could be a great way to connect with folks in the neighborhood we might not know. Opinions, thoughts?

cattledog
3-19-12, 3:00pm
Honestly, I think that would be exclusionary- unless you know that 100% of the people are on FB.

I'm not against online organizing though. How about something like Ning? That way you include everyone.

fidgiegirl
3-19-12, 5:37pm
With internet technologies, I would argue, you are never going to guarantee that 100% of the people are using one or another. If you pick something else, then there is the learning curve that will keep some away, anyway. So many people are on FB that you'd at least include a lot of them. Sounds like right now, no one's being included, since no page of any kind even exists. And there could be a special effort that if someone is, for example, hosting a backyard BBQ that is meant for everyone, that enough people would be on the FB page and could reach out in person to the households that are not represented online and it wouldn't be too big of a burden for any one person in the community.

I don't think you need to go door to door. Tell the neighbors who are on with you, and if they are on with a few other neighbors, it will spread. Maybe at the most put up some flyers on the light poles.

Go for it!

Miss Cellane
3-19-12, 5:51pm
I think as long is it is not the only way used to communicate with neighbors, it's fine. When something important is on the line, Facebook should be one way of contacting people, but not the only way.

Some people are on Facebook multiple times a day, some check in once a day, some once a week and some once a month. Nothing time sensitive or crucial should be on Facebook and only Facebook.

iris lily
3-19-12, 8:48pm
If you just want a "place" on the web to chat, FB is fine, but I like list software better for talking. Still, FB is great for easy posting of photos and web links.

If you are intending to organize in a formal way for the purpose of neighborhood betterment, multiple means of communication to penetrate your target audience is necessary.

Our neighborhood newspaper just folded after 38 years. There were years where the neighborhood spent $8,000 - $10,000 annually to put a FREE newspaper on everyone's doorstep, one that told them what was going on in the neighborhood that affected them. Even then a good 50% couldn't be bothered to pick it up, let alone read it, but the same people bitched and moaned when something happened they did not like and they wrung their hangs crying "oh why didn't anyone tell us!!!???" Honestly, the last bruhaha had someone say "I can't read every line of the Marquis, why didn't someone ask me" and it's only an 8 page newspaper.

This, in addition to:

Yahoo online chat site
Web site to conduct neighborhood business
A public website for neighborhood events
Signs put up around the Square for announcing monthly meetings
Monthly meetings to conduct neighborhood business for the Association
Flyer campaigns on doors to notify for special events and issues of great importance

No matter what you do, you will not penetrate the consciousness of everyone, but that's ok--those who are interested will find their way.

razz
3-20-12, 8:32am
Sorry but I have to respond.

What about simply talking to each other after sending around a get acquainted circular of some sort?
I have not joined FB simply because I don't choose to have the time to waste checking it out. In our rural community,we live some distance from one another and actually meet when we are out walking and doing things and then catch up. We phone or invite each other for a tea or dinner or share some result of a new recipe or help when it is needed. All that seems to happen when others are spending time on the computer!
OK, I will now bow out and keep quiet.:devil:

jennipurrr
3-20-12, 5:53pm
Wow Iris Lilly, your neighborhood is really organized!

Points to consider about FB. I guess when even my grandmother now has it, I automatically assume everyone does...definitely not a good assumption to make. When my cat went missing a couple months ago I wished our neighborhood had a group, and that is what got me started thinking about it. I would like people to be able to get the word out about things like that, and let everyone know if there is an event or something of that nature. I thought about what you said Fidgiegirl, just telling people and the word spreading, but in that way I wondered if it would be exclusionary...like the neighborhood clique to people who didn't get the info.

I do have admit that I know most of the people that live around me, interact with them often, and are actual friends with a few, but there are some people on the other side, 3 streets over that I don't know at all. I walk my dogs often so if folks are outside on a regular basis I have usually gotten to at least know them on a name basis, small talk type thing, but I really couldn't imagine having the intimate relationship razz describes developing from that. At some point, a coworker and I, who I saw all the time at work and knew well, realized we lived two streets over from each other!

I would say our neighborhood is not organized at all...we are kind of in that transitional stage where (sorry for the lack of tact here) people are dying off and younger people are moving in. Most people are busy living their lives but I am sure would like to get to know more folks in the neighborhood.

fidgiegirl
3-20-12, 6:58pm
I thought about what you said Fidgiegirl, just telling people and the word spreading, but in that way I wondered if it would be exclusionary...like the neighborhood clique to people who didn't get the info.

But if nothing's organized now, or it's just word of mouth, that's what's happening anyway. It's just the people who happen to hear about it.

I just don't think it would hurt anything. Iris Lily's neighborhood obviously started out with one or two of those methods, and it has grown. It has to start somewhere. It would have been awesome in the case of your cat. If used mindfully and intentionally, the page could be an awesome way to build more deep FTF relationships. People could use it as a venue to challenge each other, in a friendly way, to do just this. But start where (at least some of the) people are at. Don't give up on your idea!

Also, remember, you are not trying to figure out the communications method for official messages from the city or anything like that. You don't have to invent the comprehensive system. But this one little action, even if it's not perfect, would be an improvement to your neighborhood experience as well as for at least a few of your neighbors.

Stella, I know you've talked about your neighborhood having a page. What do you think about all of this? Anyone else seen this work in a positive way?

sunnyjoe
3-21-12, 1:53pm
Our neighborhood has a group on FB. It is in addition to lots of in-person communication, an annual block party etc... Not everyone is on FB of course but sometimes we can get an idea started there and then spread it to others either in person or by email/phone. It's been a positive experience for us particularly over winter when we were all outside less. It's a good place to seek recommendations--e.g. plumbers etc..., pass along neighborhood watch information. I see it an an enhancement of communication and just another option--not as exclusionary or in direct competition with good old over-the-fence neighborliness :)