PDA

View Full Version : March-April No Sugar or Other Healthy Eating Challenge

ejchase
3-20-12, 9:59am
Hello All,

I've been eating terribly, so I'm aiming for no sugar for 30 days as a first step towards dealing with that. I started on Saturday, so I've made it 3 days so far. I am spending next weekend at a bar mitzvah, so may give my days a couple days "off" while that's going on, but basically want to give up sweets for a while in order to feel better. Whatever days I take off for the bar mitzvah, I'll add on to the end, so this may take me more than 30 days overall.

Anybody else want to make a healthy eating commitment?

Rosemary
3-21-12, 6:09pm
I'm in. I need to get off sugar again. I was doing really well until we traveled...

Mrs-M
3-21-12, 8:07pm
Count me in, too. Don't want to sound brash in the department of sugar-free success, but I'm all but off soda, and my sweets intake (aside from natural honey) is down to next to nothing, but I've had to work really hard to get where I'm at.

The amazing part of being soda-free, is you wouldn't believe how undesirable the thought of soda is after you've been off it for a while. I seldom think about soda anymore. I drink water pretty much exclusively now.

Maybe Babr and Watergoddess, will join in, too.

Geila
3-21-12, 10:46pm
Thanks for the message, Mrs. M! cow-hi

I've been sugar-free since Jan 1st. The only sweetener I use is a bit of Splenda in my coffee. Hmmmm... I keep saying that I'm going to wean myself off of it and I haven't. Maybe this challenge might help with that!

Yes, I like it. Today will be my last day using Splenda. I've been using coconut milk in my coffee, generously too, so I don't really need it. I've just gotten used to it.

Mrs. M - do you remember our first sugar-free challenge? Boy, was that hard! And I was so scared to give up the daily support. Thanks again for being there for me. :). You and Fern were a huge part of my success.

I won't be participating as often as I'd like this time around. I'm working quite a bit more nowadays. But I'll check in and see how everyone's doing and use this as my accountability on the Splenda.

Good luck to us all! :cool:

p.s. I've recently found two delicious teas that taste really sweet without any sweetener - they get their sweetness from cinnamon. They're both caffeine-free so they make a great afternoon and evening treat.

Good Earth - Sweet and Spicy (This one's my favorite)
Celestial Seasonings - Bengal Spice

Mrs-M
3-21-12, 11:49pm
Hi, Watergoddess! You are most welcome.

Congratulations to you on being sugar-free! I don't have such bragging rights as of yet, but compared to a couple of years ago, well, there really is no comparison. I've come such a long way. Re: our first sugar-free challenge, I sure do remember it! We had a lot of fun and the support was great! Nothing like support when tackling such a challenge.

Mmmm... the coconut milk sounds sooo good! And thank you so much for the tea recommendations! I'm always up for a new try/taste.

Just as a sort of incentive for all of us to do good, here a little inspiration for everyone here to do what's right. (My dessert this evening).

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=726&d=1332387353

Bananas, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. No sugar, just a little added milk. So, so good! (Everyone else had ice cream).

leslieann
3-22-12, 9:18am
I remember that no-sugar challenge fondly, Mrs. M. and watergoddess, not because I participated but because I so much enjoyed reading your mutual support! And fern, too.

I need to stop with the sugar, including "natural" sugars, and I am struggling to avoid chocolate. I am feeling the stiffness and pain in my joints of too much stuff that my body doesn't like, and I really need to get back on the dietary track. I don't know why it is so hard because I feel so much better once I am on track.

I still have that pesky 15-20 pounds to lose, though I haven't regained what I lost when I got serious last year, and my exercise program has pretty much fallen apart. So I am still trying to "figure" that out. I know I just have to stop thinking about it and DO SOMETHING.

By the way, I went from a diet coke addict in the 1980's to virtually never drinking soda. Perhaps once a year I'll have a hankering for a coke, and usually two swallows later I remember why I don't drink it any more. I just don't like it. So tastes can certainly change!

I'll post later when I figure out what I can commit to.

Leslie

Mrs-M
3-22-12, 2:43pm
Hey, Leslieann, how about try and go week to week with us, cutting out (or back) on whatever sugar/sweets you can? I know how hard it can be to cut out sweets (altogether/cold turkey), but being able to work through a challenge (at your own pace and comfort level) should help encourage and inspire you to get on the right track again!

Would be so much fun having all of us in this together!

ejchase
3-22-12, 5:43pm
Yay! I'm so glad to have company. I've been pretty out of control with sugar lately, so it's good to be "detoxing."

My favorite no-sugar desert is lowfat plain yogurt with some of that just-fruit no-sugar jam you can get at Trader Joe's. I may stop to pick some up on my way home from work tonight ...

Mrs-M
3-22-12, 6:01pm
The plain yogurt with real fruit sounds yummy, Ejchase. If I can stay on the current plane I'm on, I'll be happy. I've spoken with others who have dropped sugar from their diets, and most everyone tends to relay the same thing to me, that being, "I've never felt better", and although I do agree (to a extent), sugar, really doesn't have a negative or positive effect on me. For me, I just feel better knowing I'm doing my body good staying away from it.

Rosemary
3-23-12, 6:43am
It was travel that undid my no-sugar diet this time. Ugh. Yesterday was a full detox day - whole foods only and no grains. I've had a headache for most of the last 24 hours which I think is a combination of detox + stiffness from sitting on airplanes. I went grocery shopping yesterday and restocked our fridge with a large assortment of fruits and veggies.

ctg492
3-23-12, 6:59am
I start out each day so well, almost 6 days a week homemade yogurt, berries, oats,wheatgerm/flax seed all mixed together. I have a fruit on my bike for a snack. Lunch is usually a good......then I hit the sugar trail. I have stopped pop for 10 years, now maybe two to three a week, so that is easy to quit again. Water is my drink of choice. Chocolate is my downfall, why I wonder can I not stay focused on this? I have tried on and off to the buy the very dark, enjoy a small piece, Yeah Right..the entire bar. One sugar leads to another. I have even been known to eat a pinch of brown sugar. So reading these posts, today is the day again to hop off the sugar trail.

Mrs-M
3-23-12, 9:21am
Good morning everybody.

Re: reducing ones sugar intake (believe it or not), if you do it for long enough and embrace the commitment aspect of cutting back (with a real true sense of seriousness and dedication), each and every time you embark on a personal challenge or period of time in which you look towards cutting-back on all things sweet and sugary (unnatural forum), the entire process becomes easier and easier.

I have all but weaned myself off of all things "sweets", and although I don't feel (or notice) any physical or mental change, I do feel more balanced and healthy. With me it's more of a psychological thing (more than anything), but I'm OK with that, because I know the health related benefits associated with a reduced or lower sugar level diet.

ejchase
3-23-12, 3:47pm
ctg492 - I have an experience similar to Mrs. M's - that is, I find it does get easier once I get off it. For me, the magic number is 3 days. If I can stay off sugar for three days (which takes a lot of willpower), I find the cravings decrease a lot after that.

Geila
3-24-12, 12:54pm
What a nice thing to say, Leslieann. We did have a lot of fun on that challenge. We also had a couple of really fun low-carb challenges back then.

Two days, and no Splenda relapses so far. As an added bonus, my caffeine consumption is down by 50%. I drink a lot less coffee when it doesn't taste like dessert! :)

This morning I'm starting to miss it though. I'll be having some bacon soon so that might distract me. >8)

Mrs-M
3-24-12, 4:33pm
Ejchase. Keep up with it! :) Pretty soon the 3 day period will fade to 7, and the 7 day to 30, and so on. It's so liberating when you reach a comfortable point where you seldom think about sweets. I'm at a point at which I can binge on sweets (a little baking, some chocolate, one or two pastries, etc), yet, my binges last only for a day now, and once my "sweet day" is behind me, I'm good for another long time until I feel the need to revisit another sweet day again.

Watergoddess. I totally forgot about the low-carb challenges. Hard to believe those old challenges date back almost two years ago now. How about raw honey as a sweetener for your coffee? I know I'll never go back to anything else, and just knowing it's natural, calms the inner voice in me, reminding me that I'm doing the right thing.

I think we're off to a good solid start, and I'm looking forward to hearing from everybody as the challenge presses on. Happy Saturday everyone!

Mrs-M
3-25-12, 9:57am
How's everybody making out?

Nothing out of the ordinary to post as of this morning, other than I'm sitting here enjoying a rich, full-bodied cup of coffee right now, with a hint of raw honey added! Heavenly delight!

Oh, I did cheat a little last night, making myself two slices of toast with a sprinkling of icing sugar and cinnamon, to go along with my evening cup of tea. Otherwise, no infractions or setbacks to mention.

Geila
3-25-12, 2:12pm
Good morning all!

I'm still doing well - 3 days so far. The bacon did distract me from my sweet craving so I was able to avoid a relapse yesterday.

Mrs. M - Right now I'm committed to see how long I can go sugar-free, and that includes other forms of sugar, like honey. I'm liking the reduced coffee intake because now I find myself drinking more water and finding other "pick me ups". Yesterday afternoon, instead of making my usual coffee and settling down to a book, I went for a nice walk in the fresh air and that led to a couple of hours puttering in the garden. Win-win all around.

I'm also hoping that soon my sensors will start to register the sweetness in the coconut milk. Not sure how long that will take but that would be great.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 8:56am
Hi Watergoddess! Way to go on your success! Sounds like you're right on track. (Jotting-down coconut milk on my shopping list). Haven't had it in so long. I'm due.

Last night I had a bowl of strawberries with about 150 ml of cream for me evening fix, and it was just what the doctor ordered. Aside from that, I'm maintaining my course and navigating the sugar-seas with conviction.

P.S. So jealous I am over you puttering in your garden! Were still a few weeks away.

leslieann
3-26-12, 7:19pm
OKay, I'm back. I have been pondering what might work for me and trying to keep an awareness that I need a model that will be a regular thing, not just a quick diet fix and then back to the usual.

Having said that, though, I'd like to be on the way down in my weight shifting journey over the next few weeks. So I spent the weekend thinking and eating some of the things that I crave so I'd really be READY today. I also did a couple of preparation steps, such as cooking a large chicken, getting a bunch of vegetables in the fridge, and doing a lot of positive self talk. So today was DAY one of no sugar (of any kind) and no chocolate (I can finagle chocolate without sugar but I just can't even use artificial sweeteners because they trigger sugar cravings.)

So far, so good. Plenty of protein and fat for satiation, and lots of vegetables. I am steeping a cup of fennel tea for my dessert and to stave off the chocolate cravings and I am tired, so I'll go to bed early. I also easily got in all of my needed water today. So ....two more days and I'll be past the craving stage, the water will start flowing OUT instead of just in (is that TMI???) and I will start to have more energy. Right? Getting started is the hardest part.

And I too am jealous of the gardening! Today our temperature got back to the freezing mark and the wind has blown so wildly all day that it feels like winter again.

Best wishes to all of us....!!!

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 9:42pm
Good on you, Leslieann! I'm really proud of you, because battling the sugar habit is a tough one (I know). I realize not everyone will advance and progress the same, nor will everyone settle to the same relaxed place, for instance, where I currently am and have managed to hold/stay, but having a strong desire to succeed along with something additional, such as weight loss, helps make the expedition that much more rewarding and celebratory when milestones and achievements are reached.

You really do sound like you're ready for this. :) I love the old adage, "one day at a time". I live by it whenever I'm trying to master or conquer something, otherwise, difficult or challenging. Somehow it helps ease the tension and stress that develops whenever I push myself to get to a certain point or place. And remember, each time you embark upon a challenge to abstain from sugar and sweets, it gets easier. It really does.

Sending well wishes and a dusting of success everyone's way!

Rosemary
3-26-12, 10:27pm
I'm off the sugar again - a few rough days but since then it's been much easier. Feeling better, too. Yes, Mrs. M, I think it does get easier each time.

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 10:57pm
Sending a warm hug of support your way, Rosemary. :) I remember how much I hated falling off the wagon. I'd get all bummed-out and depressed, all mad at myself, and sometimes I'd even give up, allowing my stumbles and bumbles to get the better of me. But then I thought, "no, I'm not going there anymore, I'm not going to allow this thing to beat me". That was a major turning-point for me, helping pave the way for better days to come.

One thing that still plays absolute havoc with me, is the sweets I normally keep on hand in the house due to having kids. I'll go to open the refrigerator door and there will be a small bag of Lindor Chocolates staring at me (gosh those things cry out to me), or my husband will arrive home with a fresh pie (gosh, golly, gee, darn-it)! I'll just have a small sliver... yeah right! :~)

P.S. So happy to see you here again! We have a great group!!!

leslieann
3-27-12, 7:21am
The support here feels so good! Thanks, Mrs. M. I am trying to be kind to myself and remember that the longer-term goals are good health, ease in my joints, more energy...all the good stuff. So begins day 2 for me. Will check in later.

Rosemary
3-27-12, 7:59am
Thanks, Mrs. M. Yes, this is a great group!

'Small slivers' of treats don't help me, either - they make me completely fall off the wagon. I don't generally keep sweet treats for DD, either - I figure she gets enough sugar in the incidental things that come our way, for instance when we are at church (after-program snacks always include something way more sugary than I ever make), when she is at birthday parties or other kid events, etc. Sometimes I'll put something small like a Hershey's kiss in her lunch - my MIL sends things like this to her in holiday packages. I keep those tucked away in a cabinet so that I don't see them regularly, so they are not everyday things! I do put mini chocolate chips in her trail mix, though.

Yesterday I had to bake a couple of things for a PTA event for teachers at DD's school. As always, I cut the sugar from the recipe. But this time, I didn't even sample the results; I could tell from smelling them that they had enough sugar. DD sampled one after school and told me it was very good. I prepped them, bagged them, and put them in my car for cold storage until I deliver them later today!

P.S. 3 pounds down since last Thursday. Eating plenty - just no processed sugar (fruits, yes) and limited grains.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 10:26am
Good morning, Leslieann and Rosemary!

Challenges and topics like this are "feel good" threads for me, they help make my day! Good points, Leslieann, Re: the health benefits of a low-sugar or reduced sugar diet. (I'm hoping Suzanne, drops by for a visit). Day two for you... that's great! Days lead to weeks, and weeks to months. You can do it!

You know one thing that really helps me stay in line Re: sweets, Rosemary? Eating regularly, and eating well. I never put the two-and-two together for the longest time, but as I slowly migrated away from sugar and sweets it became apparent to me that having a well-rounded and balanced diet changed my outlook (and cravings) for sugar.

As far as sweetened drinks go, once you grow to not relying on them as a mainstay thirst quencher or liquid pacifier, you'll find that you won't even think about them anymore. Then, if you go any length of time without ingesting them, you'll find that the taste (and how your body feels afterwards) tells you how unhealthy they really are. I myself have reached that point, and what a great feeling it is.

Congratulations on the 3 lb loss, Rosemary!

ejchase
3-27-12, 1:10pm
Well, I had three birthday celebrations on Saturday and Sunday, and fell off the wagon. But I didn't have any sugar yesterday, so I'm back on.

Congrats to everyone else on their progress.

leslieann
3-27-12, 8:30pm
On the wagon is the place to be! Rosemary, your progress sounds great. I too cannot have "a sliver" or "a cookie" without getting into uncomfortable cravings. But today was a good day: ate LOTS of vegetables and enough protein and fat to feel fine. Lots of water, fennel tea for evening. This is going to be okay, I think.

I am following Rosemary's lead and not totally eliminating root veg. That helps me quit a bit, I think.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 9:19pm
Ejchase. With three birthday celebrations, WHO WOULDN'T FALL OFF THE WAGON! :) So happy to see you're right back in it again!

Leslieann. Good on you!

P.S. I'll be stopping by tomorrow morning (with my wagon), and I hope to see everyone on board!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqpSHYLF3mwxPhygdhy9a8OZxpbYxrJ KNCFvr6-26v0ldWdCo4yQ

Geila
3-28-12, 1:11pm
Hello everyone.

Today is day 7 for me and so far so good. The last couple of days I have started to enjoy my coffee quite a bit. It now feels like this is how it's supposed to be. I don't miss the sweetener at all - the coffee is rich and delicious! The coconut cream is so rich and naturally sweet. And I can finally taste the sweetness now that my buds aren't blunted by the Splenda. I did increase my coconut milk a bit, but since I'm drinking less coffee now it balances out. Yesterday I felt like even my new reduced amount of coffee was too much. Today I'm going to see if reducing it further feels right.

Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying the benefits of cutting back.

Love the wagon, Mrs. M!!!

Mrs-M
3-28-12, 3:43pm
Great stuff, Watergoddess! (So happy to hear from you)!

I know in speaking for myself, I have no problem justifying a setback after a one week long abstinence. One week increments (I think) is key to boosting a psychological high. Facing a one month abstinence from sugar, equates to a much easier process in finding the strength to go the full distance when one breaks-up the month into quarters (at least so I find).

Friday is my shopping day, so I'll be reveling in coffee (with coconut milk) over the weekend! Can't wait!

leslieann
3-29-12, 2:07pm
Hi, all. Yes, Mrs. M, I think that there is something to be said about taking things a week at a time. I have been taking this week one day at a time and so far, pretty good. Yesterday was my Day Three of no sugar and limited carb foods (limited to a quarter cup of baked sweet potato three times in three days). Today is Day four and I am still doing well. The craving part seems to be over. I am making a point of eating lots of food; lots of vegetables, which I love, and plenty of eggs, meat, or fish, and enough fat. I know that keeping the fat content up is key for both getting a ketogenic state going and also for me to feel like I have eaten. Today I noticed that I am pointing toward one of my old low-carb BAD HABITS, which is to eat too little and just focus on the protein and fat. This is only going to work for me if I really pay close attention to getting lots of different vegetables every day. I don`t have an autopilot setting for that just yet. I have found that if I cook extra veg at dinner, I happily eat them for lunch, so I need to keep that in mind.

I wish I could still eat dairy the way I used to...cheese was such a big help in this kind of eating. But I am doing okay. Knowing that I plan to post here helps me to stay on Mrs. M`s little red wagon.

By the way, I am using the canned cocoanut milk. The light version is just fine; the regular has too much fat for my taste in coffee. I tried but did not particularly like the dairy case cocoanut milk substitute. YMMV of course. I would be interested to hear what other people are using.

OH.....and another BTW, Brussels sprouts! I hated them for, oh, fifty five years. Since reading something on this site, I have been trying them sliced and sauteed, first in bacon fat (oh, so decadent) and now in a mix of Pam and a bit of butter. I would use more butter except I am wary of dairy. Anyway, cooked until brown on one surface and soft, they are unimaginably good, and could not be more different from the horrible Brussels sprouts of my memory. And what a great addition to my low-carb menus. Plus I am the only one here who likes them so no competition...hehehe....

Mrs-M
3-29-12, 8:02pm
Hi, Leslieann! I know the "week-at-a-time" method sure helped me. In fact, without a week-to-week format, I would have never been able to get where I'm at, because in the beginning I had so many setbacks and times where I'd fall off the wagon.

It's funny, but when I first started on sugar/carb challenges, one week stretches (without), seemed like such a long time to go, but as days turn to weeks- and weeks to months, I found myself not even thinking about it anymore. I think everyone's bodies are naturally programmed to work through such voids and minuses, it's just a matter of triggering the right buttons in order to set the wheels in motion.

You're really going for the gusto, Leslieann! Carbs and all!!! That's great! I more or less gave up on my carb-reduction program (sigh). I was just so unhappy... I think in my mind an inner voice called out to me and said, "as long as you are being vigilant as to trying to create a healthy balance with all things, there's no need to permanently cut things out in my diet", so I went with it and have been happy ever since.

Om my! The brussels sprouts sound so delicious! Another delicious way of preparing them, is steaming them, then adding a drizzle of fresh-squeezed lemon juice on them, and if you like, a sprinkling of flaked oregano. I just know you'd love them!

P.S. My wagon feels a little light today, but at least I know there's two of us riding in it, and I'm good with that! Keep up the great work, Leslieann, and looking forward to talking again, soon.

Geila
3-29-12, 8:15pm
You're wagon just got heavier, Mrs. M! cow-hi

And you're so right about keeping things manageable. Our first sugar challenge started out as a weekend challenge and we just kept extending it until it got to 30 days. It was awesome! Doing a little at a time greatly reduces the anxiety.

For the coconut milk I use the Chaokoh brand. It's full-fat and very rich >8). But I also use Starbucks French Roast coffee which is pretty strong.

I haven't had any real temptation to bring back the Splenda and I've gone from 3 cups of coffee per day (large cups) to one small one. This is great!

Mrs-M
3-29-12, 9:22pm
LOL! Re: the additional weight, fear not, Watergoddess! My two youngest sons have already stepped-up to the plate to help out with doing the pulling!

Challenges are so much more fun and enjoyable (and easier to cope with) when you have friendly and helpful support aren't they. Without the support (and fun), I'd be lost...

I can almost taste the coconut milk right now! Tomorrow is the day. (My shopping day). P.S. Good on you Re: your coffee reduction, and, being Splenda-free! I'm so happy that both yourself and Leslieann, dropped by today to say hello!

leslieann
3-31-12, 12:35pm
Well, here I am again to check in. I was pretty happy with the week. Yesterday marked by fifth day without sugar. I had quite a conversation with DH while we were making supper; he gets uncomfortable about the low carb stuff ("Carbohydrates are FUEL, " he says without fail.) Anyway, he was making pizza with lovely sauteed veggies on top; I put my veggies on about a quarter cup of brown rice pasta. I also had a glass of wine which I had planned to do without, but I do like it on Friday night. The reason I planned NOT to have wine is that my chocolate resistance drops when I've had wine...but I was still fine without the chocolate, and he ate his and I didn't feel deprived.

So all of that was pretty good. This morning it looks like I might be down three pounds or so, but I still don't really feel like I have kicked into the fat-burning shift that happens with VERY low carb. That's probably okay. I would like to lose some weight but mostly I want to feel energetic and not crave carbohydrates, and this seems to be working...at least for the first five days. I am going to continue to take this one day at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed, but also to kind of assess the benefits, which will help with motivation.

AND last night I thought, no, I don't want to have to post that I fell off the wagon, so that was motivational too. Thanks!

Geila
3-31-12, 1:26pm
Good morning all.

Yesterday I started to crave a bit of sweet throughout the day but I was able to resist by either having a glass of water or just ignoring the message. In the case of the water, that turned off the message right away so I guess my interpretation is off sometimes. And in the case of ignoring it, after I ignored it for a few minutes it just stopped. It made me think of a child's request for candy - insistent but easily ignored.

It's great to finally see the desire in such a non-threatening way. For so many years the cravings felt greater than me - way too powerful for me to control. And now they just feel like a child's simple in-the-moment wants. Nothing to be scared off, and nothing I can't deal with. I feel empowered!

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

leslieann
4-1-12, 10:05am
Hi, watergoddess. Your post is a good reminder to me. I have also had the experience that I misinterpret a need for water as a need for....anything else! Usually something like chips or chocolate.

This morning is the start of my seventh day. Last week I woke up on Sunday knowing that I would be starting on Monday, with a plan and a support system. And now, a week later, it is so much easier to contemplate! I don't wonder if I will be able to keep my plan today.

Yesterday I started a new project: running with my dog. Yep, that's him, my avatar. He's older now, but looks about the same. I am an off and on runner, never fast, but I used to run a lot and I really liked it. I tend to be a bit injury prone and so lately I have been more off than on, and I am self conscious and self critical about that. So now I have decided to try getting Max to run with me. I had a harness already that I didn't use (a frugality error) so yesterday he and I started...very VERY slowly around the block. This morning, we went a lot farther. He seems a bit lame, maybe due to harness, but I am hoping that we'll be able to do this regularly. He does get a walk every day anyway, (DH and I share the responsibility) and two big ones on the weekend, but I am trying to make this a separate event....he puts on his harness, I put on my running shoes, grab the inevitable poop bag, and off we go.

Anyway, I am talking about that HERE because it is an increase in activity to complement my change in diet. And that process is by baby steps, also. No half marathon training for me. I can't run a 5K without walk breaks at the moment.

Happy Sunday!

Geila
4-1-12, 3:15pm
Hi leslieann - yes, our interpretations are often faulty! I've been experimenting these last couple of days with overriding the brain's messages and I'm finding that many times, what the brain thinks I need is not really what I need. Right now I'm especially looking at the food/water and activity areas. I still tend to defer to my brain quite a bit, more than I can tell is healthy for me, but like you, I am making small changes in the right direction. Congrats on your new running routine! Oh, and I have a large black dog too! He's a retriever mix and almost 12 years old so I take him on lots of walks but no more runs. He's got a leg that gives him trouble.

I think having support makes all the difference in the world. I'm glad that this thread has given you that feeling of support and encouragement.

I'm still doing well staying off the sweeteners and having taken that decisive action, I am finding it easier to take other small, but decisive, actions in other areas of my life.

Happy Sunday to all!

Mrs-M
4-1-12, 3:26pm
Excellent progress, Leslieann! The pasta with sauteed vegetables sounds so good! I'm a pasta fiend, so anything goes when it comes to pasta and me. It's amazing isn't it, how certain foods and drink, diminish cravings for certain things. For the longest time I struggled with eating a serving of fresh fruit (first thing in the morning), but once I reached the stage of "fruit first", my cravings for artificial/high-sugary things, subsided. Then as time went on I found I could quell sugar-fits with less sugary things, and less quantity.

Leslieann and Watergoddess. In the beginning, when first starting out, I found it to be a "mind over matter game" (more than anything), where you tend to lean on psychology quite a bit, but when you start seeing (and feeling) all of the positive effects associated with your body reacting to a reduced sugar intake, the psychological game quickly switches over to a "reality game", where the strength to carry on and continue is sparked by cues such as, "I feel so good", and, "this really is doing me justice", and it is at this stage, where you'll notice how easy it is to continue.

Everyone is doing so well. Myself, I had my regular morning coffee (with raw honey), and a toasted ham-steak sandwich. There really is something to be said about pork, and it's ability to calm sugar cravings. Must be the mild sweetness factor.

Wishing everyone continued success into the week! Talk soon.

Rosemary
4-1-12, 6:47pm
I had some of DD's birthday cake (homemade, low sugar) and ice cream today. It was tasty but - blah, don't like the post-sugar thirst. 10 days off sugar, back off tomorrow.

Mrs-M
4-2-12, 1:38pm
Hi Rosemary. The only time I seem to get the post-sugar thirst thing, is after eating ice cream. Re: your ten days off sugar, great stuff!

leslieann
4-2-12, 2:00pm
I am really thirsty, too. Almost to the degree that it scares me a bit; and certainly to the degree that I have to get up at night. Perhaps that is TMI. But I need a big glass of water immediately on rising and often afterward. I wonder how that is related to metabolic changes with food choices? Even eating salty chips won't make me as thirsty as I am when I am off sugar and other simple carbohydrates.

leslieann
4-2-12, 2:01pm
ooops, guess I got confused...I get thirsty OFF sugar, while you two get thirsty when you eat it.

Yep, people are different.

Mrs-M
4-3-12, 7:38am
How interesting, Leslieann. Diabetes, is the first thing that always tends to enter my mind whenever someone mentions strong thirst attacks. Do keep an eye on it.

I know in speaking for myself, certain foods definitely trigger an elevated thirst response in me. The worst offenders are sauces, like Soya Sauce.

Geila
4-4-12, 2:57pm
Hi everyone.

I'm still doing well and haven't struggled with any more temptations for sweetener. I had planned to give up my coffee for a month but don't think I'll do it after all. Instead I'm supplementing with some vitamins and adding more leafy greens like kale and such.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Mrs-M
4-5-12, 1:48pm
Hi Watergoddess. Good on you! :( Sadly, I fell off the wagon yesterday. Two Chocolate Long Johns... Today is a new day.

Giving up coffee (for me), would be an impossible one. One that would compare to giving up smoking. Plenty of failures and setbacks. I think everyone needs a vice, and coffee is mine. One vice, is OK.

Keep up the great work and dedication towards staying off, and away from sugar. Talk again real soon.

leslieann
4-5-12, 7:30pm
Hi, friends. I am doing well with the no sugar, low carb thing. I finally logged onto to FitDay to start tracking and wow, I am a little bit shocked at the proportion of FAT in my diet. However, I am gratified to see that my calorie intake is lower than I anticipated and I am not hungry at all except at mealtime. So those are the good things.

The lack of cravings is the best part though.

I want to ask you, Mrs. M, what a chocolate long john actually IS but I am afraid of the answer. Something wonderfully delicious I am sure.

Mrs-M
4-5-12, 8:06pm
Oh, Leslieann... I'm so ashamed and disappointed in myself for mentioning them. Chocolate Long John. (http://www.deerfieldsbakery.com/images/items/Pastry/Long%20John%20Chocolate_MD.JPG) A soft, decadent pastry covered in chocolate! That's what happens to me, I go for the longest time without sugar/treats, then one day, it's there! But once I get it out of my system, I'm good for another long time...

Sounds like you're doing great! So proud of you I am! How's the thirst craving? Re: fat intake, I've been working on my fat intake as of late, and doing well with it. I'm still on the carbs, but not as bad as I used to. I'm really happy with my progress in that department, too!

Sending happy Long-weekend wishes your way!

leslieann
4-6-12, 9:51am
Happy long weekend to you, too. I thought of you this morning as I hung the sheets out to dry. It is pretty darn COLD out but sunny today and they have all day and a light breeze.

Thanks for the long john explanation. I am happy to report I am not wishing for them at all, or anything like that. This is terrific, actually, and I am feeling quite good. Today is my 12th day since I got "serious" although I did a sort of lower carb for a bit before that, including root vegetables. Right now I am working on getting consistent, making sure I have good food ideas for filling in any hunger gaps, and have meals planned that are okay for me and everyone else. AND getting more activity. Work is good but it takes up my workout time too often!

Have a wonderful weekend; I remember how much fun we had on Easter when my children were at home.

Mrs-M
4-6-12, 12:14pm
You really know how to make a girl extra jealous, Leslieann, don't you! LOL! I can't wait to send out my first load of washing on the line. Been both patiently (and impatiently) waiting. We're down in the minus temps this morning, and the days really haven't warmed to the degree of being able to hang laundry outside, but my guess is another week or two. Here's hoping anyways.

Yeah, the Long John thing, bad, bad, bad... Day 12, super! You're going to love how much easier it gets. You're there! You make a great point, that being, planning for proper and healthy meals and snacks. I tend to think this is the critical area where a lot of people veer off course and head for simple, quick, and easy, and that's never a good thing.

What will really help you, too, Leslieann, is the arrival of spring. You'll be able to preoccupy yourself with many other things, which helps keep ones mind off of food (and snacks). I find I drink more water from spring till fall, and because of the warmer weather, we tend to eat more greens and things, rather than heavy type foods/meals, and that makes a big difference on the progress one is able to enjoy.

P.S. Holidays with little ones is what it's all about! So much fun and excitement!

Wishing you a Happy Easter weekend!

Geila
4-7-12, 1:55pm
Well ladies, over two weeks without the sweetener and no temptations at all. I kicked it! Thanks for the challenge. And thanks so much to Mrs. M for the email that got me to try it. :thankyou: Big hug and kiss to you!

Gosh, I keep thinking about giving up coffee on the off-chance that it might be exacerbating my acne. I don't think I really need the caffeine. I'm pretty energetic even without it - Dh says sometimes too energetic :). And I don't care for the taste of coffee by itself, I always have to put stuff in it to be able to enjoy it. I think I'm dreading the withdrawal symptoms more than anything. But if there's a chance it could help clear up my skin....

Hope everyone is doing well.

Mrs-M
4-7-12, 2:55pm
Awww... thanks Watergoddess! You're a gem!

Congratulations to you on your success! Re: coffee, I, too, don't really fancy the taste of coffee (in particular). With me it's habit, just like smoking was. I can't say there was ever a point in my life (when I smoked) where I could honestly tell someone that I actually enjoyed the taste/flavour. It was strictly a habit, and a bad at that...

But with the combination of a dash of ground cinnamon, a nip of orange zest, a drizzle of raw honey, and a shot of quality cream, coffee is my daily bread! I swear I was born to have at least one bad habit, and coffee is mine! :laff:

I feel bad for you Re: your battle with problem skin. I agree, whatever it takes to get things under control. Next week when I'm doing shopping, I'm going to drop-in and talk with a lady I know Re: your acne, and see what she has to offer. She's brilliant when it comes to all things nutrition and supplement, so I hold hope in her expertise. I"ll post a follow-up related to that for you.

Wishing you a Happy Easter weekend!

Geila
4-8-12, 2:17pm
Thanks Mrs. M, I appreciate it.

Ok, I made the decision to quit caffeine for at least 30 days. Starting today. Having this support thread will help a lot. And the success with getting rid of the Splenda has given me extra motivation. I might get whiny for a few days though! :|(

Leslieann - how are you doing?

leslieann
4-8-12, 3:32pm
Thanks for asking. I think I am doing okay. I am having grazing urges and last night a BIG wish for something sweet. I have not opened the chocolate bunny that DH left on the table for me, and I plan to keep it that way! But last night I was wandering the low carb internet, gathering recipes from Mark's Daily Apple, actually. Based on a recipe I found there, I decided to indulge myself with relative safety. I had one square of the very dark chocolate meant for baking. Not unsweetened but more like bitter-sweet. I melted in the microwave and mixed with about four ounces of the very thick part of a new can of cocoanut milk. It made an awesome and VERY satisfying sweet treat. I saved half for today, but logged the intake on yesterday's record. It was just right, actually, and I was happy that it was so rich (e.g. fatty) that I could stop without eating all of it.

Today the noshies are still with me. Snowing here (ugh) and gray, and that's probably part of it. I am doing okay but finished my chocolate cocoanut mousse from yesterday and ate a handful of "pumpkin crunch" from my last visit to the bulk store. That's pumpkin seeds sweetened with rice syrup (certainly is sugar). Anyway, I also have been piling on the raw veggies today and remembering the water. I think it is something about too much coffee, actually, and maybe too much free time. During the work week I don't feel like this at all. We do have a lovely dinner planned. I just need to stay out of trouble until then.

The net is that I am not craving and I feel okay, but I did have two items with just a bit of sweetener balanced with lots of fat and quite a bit of protein (in the case of the pumpkin stuff). And yes, I do feel like I am obsessing a bit about this (I bet you could tell...) and I will be happy to move past this particular point in the program. I am using FitDay to track and while I like it a lot, I think it plays into my more peculiar tendencies to get weird about food. I probably need to go out for a run and get my balance back but it isn't on the agenda for this snowy day.

Thank goodness we are not flooded with Easter candies or desserts here.

leslieann
4-9-12, 8:12am
Chocolate Rabbit confession time.

Okay, I shared a rabbit with DH. Not the protein kind of rabbit, either.

Anyway, I am THIRSTY (yes, Mrs. M and Rosemary) this morning, more than usual and I am usually very thirsty, so maybe that's the sugar thing. Also I had a lot of creakiness in my joints which has been gone recently. But no sugar hangover. And I tracked very carefully on FitDay and I was still under 100 gm of carbs for yesterday.

So...a "slip" which is pretty funny, actually, when I had just pointed out that I didn't feel any risk of eating that darn bunny.

Today is a new day and I have already walked the dog for 40 minutes (in the snow) and feel pretty good. Much better than yesterday, at least!

Happy Monday.

Mrs-M
4-9-12, 9:45am
Watergoddess. I've heard of people substituting coffee/tea with plain hot water, with the addition of a hint of freshly squeezed lemon juice added. Trying to come up with one or two substitutes for you. It's difficult with hot drinks isn't it, finding something that's caffeine-free, while still providing one with a sense of decadent pleasure.

I hope it helps with your skin. Fingers are crossed for you, and as I previously mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I'm going to consult with a lady I know who (I think) may have further insight as to helpful advice for you. P.S. So happy about you kicking the Splenda!

Now you got me all excited about your coffee-fast! Go, Watergoddess, go!

Leslieann. That's OK, the last of winter will be history within a week or two, and I just know brighter days and warmer weather will help you get a better foothold on things. I've never taken the time to add-up the many negative factors of winter, and how detrimental it can be on those who prefer to stick-it-out inside, but I'm sure I could concoct a healthy list in no time at all pertaining to habitual starts and cravings. Things that people normally don't crave (or think about) over the course of more active seasons such as spring and summer.

The coconut and bitter-sweet chocolate treat sounds delish! I just treated myself to a can of rich coconut milk a few days ago, and like the variety you had, mine, too, needed mixing, to stir in the thick creamy topping. So good.

Tell you a little story about "slips" related to me. I can go weeks (on end) without even so much as a hint of wanting something sweet or sugary, but then, as if a switch is turned on, I suddenly start thinking about things like pasties, chocolate, soda, etc, and although I have reached a point and stage where I can comfortably curb many of those downward spirals, I do (from time to time) cave, under the pressure of my wants. In many ways I think it's a good thing, as if it's our bodies natural way of telling us that we need something more, even if it isn't natural or good for us in the sense of what we all define "good" as being.

I hope the bunny was good! You needed it. :) We all do at times, and it was your turn yesterday.

Everyone is doing so well! Step by step, day by day... that's what it's all about!

Wishing everyone a happy week, with a new start, and a fresh outlook and take!

Rosemary
4-9-12, 1:34pm
My favorite sub for more decadent hot beverages: rooiobos chai (Zhena's Gypsy Tea is a good brand, but there are others) with soy milk.

Geila
4-9-12, 7:30pm
Rosemary - does the rooibos chai have caffeine? I really like chai tea (has caffeine) with coconut milk and I'm debating doing black tea as a compromise.

My last coffee was Saturday morning so it's been almost 60 hours without. Yesterday I didn't miss it at all. I felt great and had good energy thoughout the day. But this afternoon I began to feel really tired and started thinking about adding in some black tea. But today was also a hectic day and I was unable to work out and my meals were out of whack. My morning workout gives me a ton of energy and I can always feel it when I skip it. So I don't know if the tiredness is just from the day or from the caffeine withdrawal. Thankfully, no headaches or pains of any sort.

I did have some Good Earth tea with coconut milk and kept myself busy instead of giving in to my lethargy and I'm feeling better. I'm going to go take a walk and see if that helps too. Maybe I'll get enough energy to enjoy cooking dinner instead of dreading it!

Rosemary
4-9-12, 10:00pm
Rooibos, sometimes called red tea, comes from a different plant than green or black tea, and is essentially caffeine-free.
I like to buy it as loose tea; it is very economical this way.
http://amzn.com/B002UQ17Z4

I've also tried Stash's decaf chai and it had too many cloves for me, but that's another option. It's made with decaffeinated black tea.

Other decaf/caffeine-free teas that I like:
Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile and Ginger Aid (the latter is sweetened with stevia, fyi)
Decaffeinated green tea (many brands available, both loose and in bags)
Stash Decaf Raspberry & White Tea

I've been off caffeine for about 10 years. Don't miss it at all. I usually carry a couple of tea bags in my purse because many restaurants do not have decaf or herbal teas.

Details about rooibos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA82788

Note that tea manufacturers use a couple different processes to remove caffeine from green/white/black tea leaves. They are described here
http://www.arborteas.com/teablog/tea-preparation/how-is-tea-decaffeinated-tea-term-of-the-month-%E2%80%9Cdecaffeinated%E2%80%9D/
To learn how a particular tea is processed, it is necessary to contact the manufacturer. Some of them answer this question on their websites. For instance, Stash says: http://www.stashtea.com/info/Caffeine

Mrs-M
4-10-12, 8:38am
Hoping the withdrawal symptoms reside soon, Watergoddess. I know the "ugh, time to start supper" feeling all too well. There are days I really have to dig down deep to tackle the occasion, but then one of my little stinkers will come along, and with hands in pockets and sporting a heart-warming smile, they'll say to me, "what's for supper, mom"? That never fails to remind me of the importance of being a good homemaker and doing what I do best, taking care of everybody. But darn it all anyway...

Thanks for all the ideas and info, Rosemary! I have Raspberry White Tea (Tetley), and Strawberry- Pomegranate (Stash). Both are quite tasty! And the Stash, is caffeine-free.

Geila
4-10-12, 3:18pm
Rosemary - thanks for the wonderful info! I'm going to give your tea a try. It sounds really good - both taste-wise and health-wise. Congrats on your 10 years of being caffeine-free!

Yesterday after I posted, I took a nice 45-min walk and then a quick shower and I was good as new! It will be interesting to see how many times I've turned to caffeine for energy, instead of just moving a bit more.

I passed the 72 hour mark and today I feel great. I did my morning workout and haven't had any real desire for caffeine. I'm having some nice tea now and it fills that "warm beverage" need.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Mrs-M
4-11-12, 11:33am
Good show, Watergoddess! Keep on truckin'! You're doing great!

Will revisit this thread next week with energy! Until then, wishing everyone a happy, sugar-free weekend!

ejchase
4-13-12, 1:00pm
Well, after starting this thread, I fell completely off the wagon, so now I'm starting up again.

I'm on Day 1 of another 30-day challenge to be sugar-free. Will let you know how I do.

Feeling very inspired by the progress the rest of you have made!

leslieann
4-14-12, 11:51am
Hi, ej....glad to hear that you are back. Your thread has helped me to get on the wagon and pretty much stay there. I am trying not to be too rigid.

After the "bunny" incident last week, I had a good week. My DD is visiting from elsewhere (the other country) and brought (OMG) raspberry dark chocolate M & Ms....who knew? Anyway, I had four ....yes, only FOUR, last night. And Thursday after supper there were four of us at the table and we dismantled the last of the bunnies and shared. I was participatory but barely....had about .25 ounce, not enough to affect my equanimity or bump me over my carb goals. So I am happy that I am able to keep myself within bounds there. (Also, I didn't have to explain myself YET AGAIN to DH, so it was good for me on a couple of counts to share with the family...)

Lots of vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, spinach and more spinach, some carrots (higher in carbs but still so darn nutritious!), mushrooms and onions. Roasted a big chicken to have plenty of protein available, and last night DD and I cooked beef tips and mushrooms. So I am still hanging around with my quasi-primal proportions (mostly fat and protein, lower in carbs), and daily my intake is lower than my output in calories, according to FitDay, water intake is good, and I feel pretty balanced. Not hyped up, as I get when ketogenic and I am not in that state, but also pretty clear thinking and emotionally balanced.

Of course the last time I said something like that I ate an Easter bunny! But this way of eating is working pretty well for me. I can see how easily I could go back to eating sweet or salty things when I feel tired or bummed but that is only a short term solution. This is working better.

How's everyone else doing?

leslieann
4-15-12, 8:30am
YES!!!!! I weighed this morning and for the first time in several years I am under the 130 mark. Not under by much, and I do expect the usual fluctuations but this feels so darn good! AND I went for a "run" yesterday (more walking than running, but you have to start somewhere). Yahoo!

larknm
4-15-12, 7:41pm
Doing betterf at trying to stay on Ayurvedic diet my dr uses, while at the same time getting enough calcium from food (not pills) to combat Prednisone. A tricky combination but I'm learning.

leslieann
4-17-12, 9:42am
I am still hanging in....I re-read the title of this thread and realized that I am not doing "no sugar" really because I have had a tiny bit of chocolate for four days in a row. I would know that by the feeling in my joints even if I wasn't tracking! I went for a "run" on Sunday, too, and hope that I am focused enough to do it again this evening after work (usually I am so tired that I need EITHER a run or a rest and I unfortunately have been choosing the rest).

I notice that I start to slip a bit on the quantity and variety of vegetables I eat. I end up just eating my proteins because it is more trouble to make the veg or eat a salad, or something. So I have to be aware of myself when I do that. One outcome is that I don't eat enough and become prone to making poor choices. At the moment, though, I think I am okay.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

I am getting my calcium from supplements, lark, because I can't eat dairy foods. I eat broccoli and almonds, a lot of both, but my needs are pretty high (osteopenia). I would love other suggestions....Oh, I also can't do soy...I know that tofu would offer some calcium but it isn't available to me.

What is an ayurvedic diet like? I have no knowledge of that.

Geila
4-18-12, 3:34pm
Hi All,
Glad to see that everyone is doing well and still going strong with the challenge. I've still doing good. Don't miss the splenda or coffee at all and surprisingly had no negative withdrawal symptoms from the coffee - I think that's a sign that my body didn't need it. I feel good being caffeine-free. I feel much more hydrated. No more trips to the bathroom every 10 minutes! I notice that I have to be more careful to manage my energy level though, either with activity, water or eating my meals on a more regular schedule. But I notice that it's easier to figure out what my body needs now too. I feel much more in tune with it.

I also gave up all sausages - I'd been relying on them because they are so easy and tasty but I realized that they're loaded with ingredients that I'm trying to avoid, including sugar. The only think I'm still hangin on to is bacon. We have it every weekend as a treat and we really enjoy it, but it does have sugar and all those other nasty things. I read about a natural, uncured and no preservatives, bacon but I also read that it tastes nothing like the bacon we're used to. So right now I've reduced my consumption by about half. I'll see if I want to take a break from it for a while. Dh will be bummed. He likes to be supportive by eating what I eat, but he really likes bacon :).

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying this gorgeous weather we're having!

Mrs-M
4-19-12, 8:17am
Hi everyone. Great to read everyone's posts, and great to hear everyone is doing so well. There's been a lot going on in our household (will maybe start a thread on that in days to come), so not much to share in the way of milestones and victories, but I have been comfortably holding my own.

Can't believe we're past the halfway point in relation to this challenge, and that the month of May, is fast approaching. We've had so much rain that we're really behind as far as progress goes related to getting ready for spring, but with a lull in the weather, we managed to get a lot done over the past couple of days.

I'm happy to know everyone is doing well. Will talk again. Have a great day everybody.

ejchase
4-19-12, 7:13pm
Hi All,

Just wanted to check in and say that, though I haven't been able to count how many days I've gone with no sugar, I think it's been about a week, which is progress. There have been many moments I've thought during the day of grabbing some chocolate from the vending machine at work and have stopped myself simply because of this thread. So thanks, All, for your examples and support.

Elizabeth

Mrs-M
4-21-12, 10:24am
Good morning, all. I hope everyone is doing better than I. I'm awash in failure... Three sodas in two days, and a slice of Black Forest Cake as of last night. I haven't fallen so hard in so long. I'm blaming it on mild stress, which, should dissipate in days/weeks to come.

Will check-in again tomorrow/Monday. Until then, have a great weekend everybody.

Rosemary
4-21-12, 10:44am
It's ok, Mrs. M. - we've all been there, I suspect... I know I have! Hang in there and I hope the stresses resolve quickly.

Mrs-M
4-25-12, 12:25pm
Thanks, Rosemary. How is everybody doing?

Mrs-M
4-28-12, 1:20pm
Well, we've reached the end, everybody. The month is over, bringing a conclusion to this challenge. I'm pleased with how well I did, even though I was handicapped (part way through) by a stressful event that caused me to take a tumble.

Challenges like these are fun, and I hope sometime in the future we can do something like this again. Thank you everyone for sharing and supporting. And all the best in your continued goals to do better and be better.