PDA

View Full Version : Not QUITE qualified . . .

fidgiegirl
3-21-12, 6:22pm
I am going to go for a job that I'm not quite qualified for. Perhaps I should say I don't meet every bullet point in their list of qualifications, but most of them I do. I have had success obtaining such jobs in the past, though not 100% of the time.

Suggestions when in this boat? Address the lack of experience in the cover letter, or don't point it out?

The posting's been up since Feb. 6 and has no closing date. That could go two ways - they haven't found a good candidate yet, and maybe I'm it, or they are just on the cusp of hiring someone and haven't taken down the posting.

ApatheticNoMore
3-21-12, 7:11pm
Suggestions when in this boat? Address the lack of experience in the cover letter, or don't point it out?

I'll go with: never show weakness :). IOW don't point it out.

leslieann
3-21-12, 7:58pm
I agree with ANM; no point in pointing out something that you don't want them to focus on. Be really sure that you provide LOTS of examples of how you DO meet most of the bullet points. You want to make them want you regardless of the missing things. Good luck! Writing these kinds of letters is fun and also challenging...my best results have come from addressing every single item in the list of required and desirable traits with enthusiasm and concrete examples....the chance are that they won't even notice the one or two missing points unless someone on the committee has a real DEEP need to have a person with that qualification on the team.

iris lily
3-21-12, 8:32pm
I would probably not point out the areas in which you do NOT qualify, although if they are asking for specific technical qualifications, that's not worth faking. My guess is that these are not technical specs that you fail to meet.

fidgiegirl
3-21-12, 9:21pm
You are correct, Iris Lily. Just number of years of experience.

cdttmm
3-21-12, 9:55pm
Speaking as a former HR person, job postings are almost always written with the perfect candidate in mind. It's highly unlikely for someone to fit every bullet point in a job posting and when HR people find someone who does we usually ask ourselves, "what's wrong with this person?" ;)

cattledog
3-22-12, 7:47am
Go for it! When I left my old job I had to laugh when I saw the job posting- I wasn't even qualified for a job I'd done successfully for years!

fidgiegirl
3-22-12, 8:21am
You guys!!!! I'm super excited now. I am going to ask my boss and a colleague today for a letter of rec. The nice hting is that my existing position is a one-year grant, so I don't have to worry about the politics of this request. Am going to pound away on my resume and cover letter tonight. Did most of an electronic portfolio last night. It's amazing how job hunting grows . . . and how I thought I had all this done already! But when a different position comes along, it's all different.

redfox
3-22-12, 11:48am
Good luck!

ApatheticNoMore
3-22-12, 1:23pm
although if they are asking for specific technical qualifications, that's not worth faking. My guess is that these are not technical specs that you fail to meet.

I'm not sure what is meant by technical qualifications, but many things can be learned on the job. Ok so I haven't done *exactly* that before ... can I reasonably learn it on the job? As for degrees company recruiters have called me out of the blue for jobs that in their descriptions REQUIRED (and the descriptions said things like "MUST HAVE") masters degrees! Something like that would scare me from even applying, but lo and behold some company recruiter sees my resume online and calls me. And my resume is utterly honest on exactly what qualifications I have. The requirements in job postings aren't serious, they really aren't.

You are correct, Iris Lily. Just number of years of experience.

That's nothing. I mean ok I can't actually speak for all fields some might actually have huge hangups on the issues I say are really negotiable, but in my experience lacking some years experience is nothing.

iris lily
3-22-12, 2:04pm
I'm not sure what is meant by technical qualifications, but many things can be learned on the job. Ok so I haven't done *exactly* that before ... can I reasonably learn it on the job? ...

Sure, but then we are training you. Will you work for free plus give us money for your training?

I am specifically thinking of when I am hiring for a job where requirements are descibed in technical jargan using acronyms made of a buncha letters and numbers. If you (the generic applicant you) don't know what those acronyms mean, please don't waste my time and your time by applying for the job.

ApatheticNoMore
3-22-12, 2:28pm
Sure, but then we are training you. Will you work for free plus give us money for your training?

really I think that in my field (technical) there is almost an *expectation* of learning on the job. It's not formally admitted, but that's really what experience leads me to conclude. It's a sensing thing, what is a reasonable stretch, and what is ... I know absolutely nothing about that or anything similar, so I think not.

JaneV2.0
3-22-12, 2:28pm
"I'm so old I..."

Whatever did happen to on-the-job training? It used to be that you were hired because you were smart, responsible, and willing to learn. Plus, you could go to an employment agency and they'd match you with prospective employers. Clearly, those days have gone the way of an affordable education and reasonably-priced health care--with nary a word of protest.

(Pardon my tangent. Hope you get the job.)

jennipurrr
3-22-12, 2:44pm
Apply! Don't highlight any gaps, they will easily figure it out. It took a lot of goading to get my DH to apply for his current job because he was a couple years short of the required experience. He had the qualifications otherwise and got the job and has been in the position for several years with no problems.

I hire technical people occasionally, and sure, training on internal systems is one thing, but if you don't have a systems background please don't apply. I can't teach databases/programming/advanced spreadsheets to someone on the job so its just makes for more candidates to sift through

ApatheticNoMore
3-22-12, 3:09pm
I hire technical people occasionally, and sure, training on internal systems is one thing, but if you don't have a systems background please don't apply. I can't teach databases/programming/advanced spreadsheets to someone on the job so its just makes for more candidates to sift through

Way off topic: what if they've only worked on one major database platform and you use a different one? What if they've only programmed a nearly identical programming language but not the one you use? What if they've done development and want to do QA etc.. You see what I mean by stretching .... But fine argue that stretching it's impossible. I think that's just a self-limiting belief system.

jennipurrr
3-22-12, 3:49pm
Way off topic: what if they've only worked on one major database platform and you use a different one? What if they've only programmed a nearly identical programming language but not the one you use? What if they've done development and want to do QA etc.. You see what I mean by stretching .... But fine argue that stretching it's impossible. I think that's just a self-limiting belief system.

Oh those examples of what what I was saying when I say "systems background." I can train if you have a framework. I was thinking more along the apps I've received for technical positions where the person's only experience was working at Hooters.

lhamo
3-22-12, 5:03pm
I was thinking more along the apps I've received for technical positions where the person's only experience was working at Hooters.

You gotta give them points for trying! And you never know, maybe some of the skills they picked up on that job would be transferrable -- like immense amounts of patience for really annoying and inappropriate people.

The next time I hire someone, I just may put "previous experience working at Hooters preferred" on the list.

lhamo

fidgiegirl
3-22-12, 8:27pm
The next time I hire someone, I just may put "previous experience working at Hooters preferred" on the list
lhamo

:laff:

iris lily
3-22-12, 9:35pm
really I think that in my field (technical) there is almost an *expectation* of learning on the job. It's not formally admitted, but that's really what experience leads me to conclude. It's a sensing thing, what is a reasonable stretch, and what is ... I know absolutely nothing about that or anything similar, so I think not.

Well, of COURSE there is always on the job training, but it's not realistic to think I will train anyone to the XQPD standard when there are 5 resumes on my desk from those who known the standard and have used it for years.

pony mom
3-22-12, 11:37pm
Go for it. If they like you but you're not suited for this job, they may keep you in mind for the next one that you are suited for. Or they may just like you and want someone responsible and mature and not just out of school and be willing to take the time to train you.

lhamo
3-23-12, 7:33am
Go for it. If they like you but you're not suited for this job, they may keep you in mind for the next one that you are suited for. Or they may just like you and want someone responsible and mature and not just out of school and be willing to take the time to train you.

Or they may let other employers looking for someone with your skill set know about you. I have often passed on information in this way if I interviewed someone who I thought was good but we didn't end up hiring.

lhamo

PS: My sister got in to Quality Assurance work this way. She was working (not very happily) as a admin assistant in a university computer department, and read an article about a great small software company in Seattle. She sent them her resume, and they called her in first for a tech support position. She didn't get that job (probably a good thing as it would not have been a good fit), but very shortly after they asked her if she was interested in a QA position. She did get hired for that, and has had a very successful career in it ever since.

jennipurrr
3-23-12, 9:46am
The next time I hire someone, I just may put "previous experience working at Hooters preferred" on the list.

Maybe I should reconsider my thinking, LOL.

citrine
3-23-12, 9:51am
Good Luck!!! Let us know how it goes :)

fidgiegirl
3-26-12, 8:43pm
Thanks again, all!!

So now the rubber meets the road, the letters of recommendation have been requested and I am examining my application materials closely.

A dilemma: it is in higher ed (not requiring a Ph.D.; I have a master's) and requests a CV. I have a resume, and wouldn't really have all the components of a CV, anyway: research, awards, etc. So just submit my resume (therefore perhaps further drawing attention to the fact that I'm not quite the applicant they are envisioning for the position) or give a CV a go?

jennipurrr
3-26-12, 10:31pm
So just submit my resume (therefore perhaps further drawing attention to the fact that I'm not quite the applicant they are envisioning for the position) or give a CV a go?

Can you flush out your resume and put it in CV format? It might be something to consider to have both formats to have on hand for future job opportunities.

If the deadline is impending my opinion would be to just submit the resume. It could well be a semantics thing and a resume would be just as accepted.

Rosemary
3-27-12, 8:10am
Go for it! Keep in mind that job descriptions are often written for the perfect person, who may or may not exist --- probably more often the latter.

I also suggest putting your resume in C.V. format. The timeline is generally reversed, for one thing; also, it will make it easier for the H.R. person to compare.

fidgiegirl
3-27-12, 8:37am
Thanks, you two. Since there is no stated deadline (thought the posting has been up for a while) and I don't have my letters of recommendation in hand, anyway, I will work on the CV tonight, hopefully. Did my cover letter yesterday.

***Giddy***