PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Christmas!

Zoebird
3-23-12, 7:10pm
So, I've started planning our christmas holiday, because it's damn expensive.

Well, for most people we might be doing things on the cheap, but here is the budget so far for our part:

$250 housing;
$400 transportation (gas, two flights for DS/I, two ferry rides for DH and car)
$400 food
$100 christmas gifts for FIL/MIL
------
$1050

I already have $900 saved up -- so not too far left to go.

And now I'm planning the trip.

So far, it looks like it's going to be thus:

Arrival on 30 December -- spend Dec 30 - Jan 9 in Wellington

Leave wellington via ferry (Dh, ILs, car) and plane (ds/myself) to arrive on south island Jan 9.

Jan 9 - 11 in Queen Charolette Sound region for daily hikes (free) with picnics and such

Evening Jan 11 Nelson -- spend Jan 12/13 in Nelson (I'll be doing some work this weekend too!)

Jan 13 head to Takaka and spend time in Abel Tasman and heading toward Farewell Spit and Wharariki beach until Jan 16

Jan 17 -- travel day back to picton (overnight in picton)

Jan 18 -- ferry/flight back to Wellington

Jan 19 -- last day in wellington

Jan 20 -- Ils head home.

Wellington will be normal costs for us, so no worries there.

Our costs are based on our time in the north of the south island.

I've planned out several 'treks' that DS can handle and it's quite nice indeed. A several beach days, and so on. :)

Zoebird
3-23-12, 9:24pm
also, will be doing a holiday in winter. cost will be $250. our friend's are supplying free housing. so we will pay gas, food, and entry to sledding (includes sled, at the ski field) and hot springs. It will be 5 days. so psyched. That's already saved up, though.

Kat
3-24-12, 10:59pm
Ah...I need to make a plan and start saving, too. This thread is the kick in the pants I needed. Thanks, zoebird. ;-)

Spartana
3-28-12, 3:48pm
One extra expense you might incur Zoe is added fuel surcharges for both of the flights and the ferry rides. For all 3 of you that could be a VERY substansial cost add-on. Since I have no idea where fuel prices will be come Christmas time, higher or lower, you might want to figure the trip will cost more.

For myself, no plans for any holidays ever (one of the major beauties of not working is that I can schedule visits/travel during low travel seasons and save big bucks). Nobody to buy presents for except the sis and, maybe, the guy I'm currently dating - if he survives being with me that long - unlikely :-)! Will most likely be just a simple, frugal day at the beach for me.

Mrs-M
3-28-12, 4:16pm
This is a great thread, one I will be reviewing (again and again) over the months to come. Great for ideas, and great as a reminder. Thanks Zoebird (and everyone).

Zoebird
3-28-12, 11:42pm
Spartana:

Actually, NZ has gotten wise.

With both the flights and the ferry, you can pay by lay-away. You buy at the current prices, and then you make payments each week or month until it's paid off.

When you buy it, you put a range of days on which you intend to use it (a 3 day window), and then when you have the dates confirmed, you confirm your date with the companies.

It's honestly a really great way to do things. And, you can get some good deals that way.

So, for DH and my ILs, I was able to get the "web saver" rate plus the lay-away (no interest), and did the dates that they *think* that they are coming. And then DS and I will be on the plane over -- and so that is also on lay by with the dates that they *think* they are coming.

I also found great air fare for MIL/FIL, btu they never effing listen to me.

They have a friend whose daughter lives in Australia, so they visit her often. But you have to buy your tickets about 4 weeks in advance, and the dates you want may nto be available. I went to AirNZ, and found tickets that were $1k less than the "cheap" rates on that web site, and send them to MIL for the dates that they said they wanted.

As far as I know, MIL has not purchased those tickets (or any tickets). And when she goes to buy them in a couple of months, from her friend's favorite web site -- she's going to pay at least $1k more.

RosieTR
4-5-12, 10:47pm
Sounds good Zoebird! We've spent the last few Christmases with DH at work and me taking the dog on a hike which was NICE! But this coming year (2012) we'll have to balance MIL and my parents, and probably other family members as well, sigh. Maybe we can just go snowshoeing and leave it all behind which I'd *love*. Good on you to have planned and saved already! Way to make it much less stressful come the time!!!

happystuff
8-20-12, 11:13pm
Figured I would revive this thread as I have just ordered my second Christmas gift! This, along with some stocking stuffers I've already gotten (free!), and I'm happy to say that my dh is pretty much done!

I know it's really not much, but lately - and for me right now - I'm counting this as a pretty big accomplishment. LOL!

Tussiemussies
8-21-12, 4:33am
Wow, it's great that you all are really getting prepared early. We are saving for a home so we are not sure how much gift giving we will do. I do love giving gifts this is one of my SL downfalls where we spend a lot of money...we'll see if I can be happy with doing less this year...

Nella
8-21-12, 11:10am
I've got to pat myself on the back a little bit here. I already have my Christmas gifts purchased. They are all the same; all 9 of them. That's all I'm giving this year. They are all under $10. That's all I can afford this year. In fact, they are all calendars made from pictures that I took (some great shots while traveling in Great Britain) that I was able to have made and purchased with buy one get two free coupons that popped up in my email a few weeks ago. My last calendar was of Italy and got rave reviews. So, tada, it's done, done, done. Let the holidays begin!

happystuff
8-21-12, 4:22pm
Wow - Nella! Sounds wonderful - congrats!

And I agree about less this year. It's going to be interesting to see what I can come up with for extended family. Always a challenge!

awakenedsoul
8-31-12, 5:26pm
The calendars sound beautiful, Nella! Good for you! Impressive budget, too.
That must be a great feeling, Zoebird. You've got it all paid in advanced and organized.
I just wrapped my Christmas gifts for my parents. I'm going to be visiting them to celebrate our birthdays later this month. I made some knitted dishcloths, bought homemade goat's milk soap from a farmer on line, and got them several things from Costco that they really like: Uniball pens, Borhghese make-up, dog jerky treats, a huge box of gummy bears, dried cherries, and I'll make them some granola and lemon bars. They don't have a membership to Costco, so they really like it when I bring them their favorite products.

I'll knit some extra dishcloths and make some homemade soap to have on hand if I need extra gifts. I'd like to give something to my mail lady. I found some Christmas cards earlier in the year at the Salvation Army. They're really nice. The stuff I bought at Costco fit into my monthly grocery budget, so that was nice. The dishcloths I make only cost me .80 each, and they are really nice. I buy the cotton yarn with a 40% off coupon. The soap worked out to $4.00 a bar. It's really good quality...

Feels great not to stress about Christmas!!!

frugalone
10-2-12, 8:53pm
Nella, do you mind if I ask where you got the calendars printed? I've wanted to do something similar for years now. What a great idea, sharing your photos of your trips.

I've got to pat myself on the back a little bit here. I already have my Christmas gifts purchased. They are all the same; all 9 of them. That's all I'm giving this year. They are all under $10. That's all I can afford this year. In fact, they are all calendars made from pictures that I took (some great shots while traveling in Great Britain) that I was able to have made and purchased with buy one get two free coupons that popped up in my email a few weeks ago. My last calendar was of Italy and got rave reviews. So, tada, it's done, done, done. Let the holidays begin!