PDA

View Full Version : Is a dishwasher worth it?

Gina
1-24-11, 3:17pm
I'm going to be redoing the kitchen one of these days - new counters, range, cabinets, sink, and am wondering if putting in a new dishwasher is worth it. There currently is one here, but it's only used for storing lids, etc. I'm thinking of putting shelves where the current one is... But...

In my last house I had a dishwasher, and dishes had to be essentially clean before you put them in to wash. I don't want just a glorified rinsing machine. Currently I handwash the dishes, but the dream of a dishwasher that actually would wash dishes is still appealing.

So I'm asking, are there effective dishwashers that actually would clean dirty dishes and make life easier? Or is just putting in shelves and continuing to hand wash the way to go? I would probably only need to run one every 2-3 days.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=167&d=1294531898

Zippy
1-24-11, 3:23pm
Well, I think dishwashers these days do a great job washing dishes, much better than the older ones. I also think if you tried to sell a house without a dishwaher, you'd have no takers, so at least keep the plumbing that would allow you to install one if you decide to sell your home.

There are also mini-dishwashers these days for small households. My neighbors, a family of three, finds theirs useful. It's about half the size of a normal dishwasher. I've also seen countertop dishwashers on Amazon that I find intriguing, but don't have any personal experience with them.

catherine
1-24-11, 4:40pm
My dishwasher broke and it was several months before I bought a new one. During that time, I really assessed whether it contributed or detracted from my "simple living" values. I wound up buying another one because:

1) I read that if you keep the water running when you wash dishes, it's much more efficient to use a dishwasher.
2) They do a really good job of washing the dishes: it got frustrating trying to polish the heck out of my clear glasses, only to miss a smudge or two.
3) The clutter from having the dishrack on the counter was not appealing.
4) You can actually get decent inexpensive dishwashers--mine was only $298 on sale from Home Depot.
5) When you do need to do a lot of dishes at once, it's great to have them (like when you entertain, or on holidays.
6) You can still wash dishes that you prefer to wash and when you prefer to wash them. Just because you have it doesn't mean you always have to use it. But it's there if you want to.
7) Resale value: A house without a dishwasher these days... and if you're redoing the kitchen without a dishwasher in mind, it might be harder to retrofit if you ever sold your home.

Just some things to think about.

Wildflower
1-24-11, 4:52pm
We bought an energy saver Maytag dishwasher 3 years ago. I love it!! It does a wonderful job and leaves the dishes spotlessly clean. I don't even have to rinse them before putting them in the dishwasher. Just scrape off excess food. The newer dishwashers work so much better than the old ones. Mine has saved on water too - our water bill has actually gone down since we started using it. And it frees up my time to spend doing other things that I enjoy instead. Was so tired of washing dishes....

Also, for resale value the kitchen is the most important room in the house and not having a dishwasher might deter alot of buyers, or at the least cause your house some lost value.

IshbelRobertson
1-24-11, 5:37pm
My kitchen is being re-done at present. I've bought a new Bosch to replace the old one (which I've donated to a friend whose machine has gone PFFFT!).
I would rather do without a washing machine than a dish-washer!

Mrs-M
1-24-11, 5:42pm
I say if you have any thoughts (whatsoever) of investing in a new modern dishwasher that works well and is efficient, then I say go for it. I agree with the others Re: Home resale/kitchen appeal.

Hattie
1-24-11, 5:47pm
The point about resale value when you have a dishwasher is a very good one. We used to have a dishwasher in our house in the city but when we downsized to the country, we didn't bother. For a family where both parents work, a dishwasher is a godsend.

For us, semi-retired folk, washing the dishes gives us time together and also gives us something to do. *S* I always feel I am being more environmentally friendly washing by hand - but I don't know if that is really true or not. When we do dishes, I only fill the sink 1/4 to 1/2 full (depending on the number of dishes). I wash and hubby dries, so we never have dirty dishes (or drying dishes) sitting out on our tiny counter. *S*

Mrs-M
1-24-11, 5:51pm
I should add that I only use my dishwasher maybe half a dozen times a year. Handwashing/hand-drying is my favoured method of dealing with dishes.

Gardenarian
1-24-11, 5:55pm
Yes, new dishwashers are much better than the old ones. I love my dishwasher. I'd rather have one than a dryer, or a microwave. Our water is very expensive, and when our broke for a couple of months our bills went up.

Gina
1-24-11, 6:15pm
Thank you all for the replies. I'm very glad to hear dishwashers have improved. After reading your comments, I'm back to leaning towards getting one. :D

If I were to decide to not get one, I was planning on leaving the slot and plumbing for it in place. Resale and all. There are however no plans to sell this house (it's the dream house), but if it had to be done, any new owner would be able to easily put one in. In my neighborhood, new buyers generally do massive make-overs anyway. :0!

The kitchen in this house is unfortunately rather small, I've never much liked it, and there is no way to reasonably expand it.... but anyone interested in this house would be buying it for the views.

Reyes
1-24-11, 6:27pm
I use the dishwasher only once a month (we host a monthly dinner party). Given that, if I were redoing my kitchen I would forgo a dishwasher. I don't mind washing my hand. I would leave in plumbing so that if I were to ever move (at this point I want to be in this house for life) the new owners could have a dishwasher easily installed.

Float On
1-24-11, 7:22pm
In 18 years I've gone thru 4 dishwashers - I'm begining to think that in this house a dishwasher isn't worth it.

iris lily
1-24-11, 11:27pm
We dont' rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher and generally they turn out ok. NOt so much if I am washing the raice pan, though. There is just two of us but I wash a load each day. DH goes through a lot of dishes. Even then, I still wash pots and pans and incidentals only becuase there isn't enough room in the dishwasher. I wouldn't do without one given all of our dirthy dishes.

kib
1-25-11, 12:02am
Guess I don't have much to add. I think compared to my hand method using the DW is really wasteful. But then again it's a lousy dishwasher, so there's no gleeful evil joy involved in indulging and using it, I have to rewash half the stuff anyway. Definitely leave the hole if you don't get one. You can always set the garbage can in there or some homemade shelving.

Miss Cellane
1-25-11, 3:39pm
Bias warning: I grew up handwashing dishes for a family of nine. Dishwashing is not my favorite chore.

My apartment has a crumby basic apartment type dishwasher. I don't generally rinse dishes before putting them in, and I only run the dishwasher about every three days. The dishes and flatware come out sparkling clean. The only thing that it can't tackle is oatmeal--I have to soak the oatmeal bowl and wipe it out before putting it in the dishwasher.