PDA

View Full Version : Midsomer Murders (Television Series).

Mrs-M
3-24-12, 5:14pm
Any other dedicated viewers/watchers aside from myself?

I'm having a hard time adopting the new generation of Midsomer Murders, due to recent changes in characters. As much as John Nettles (DCI Tom Barnaby) occasionally got under my skin, I miss him now that he's gone, and his replacement Neil Dudgeon (DCI John Barnaby) has been nothing less than a turn-off for me since his debut. And now with Barry Jackson (Pathologist George Bullard) gone, I'm struggling to find spark in my interest to continue watching.

Would love to hear any thoughts from others Re:.

IshbelRobertson
3-24-12, 6:23pm
Not my sort of viewing, Mrs M!
I used to love John Nettles when he played Bergerac (a British police series based on the island of Jersey) - but I couldn't seem to get 'into' Midsomer.

I mean.... ALL those murders in such a semi-rural area of England?

razz
3-24-12, 7:03pm
I used to enjoy Midsomer Murders and then the script writers decided to make the plots more much macabre and grotesque and lost me permanently.
I did enjoy Nettles and his sidekick for a long time though. Is the sidekick still going or is he gone as well?

Mrs-M
3-25-12, 9:33am
I don't think Bergerac, was ever broadcast in Canada, but it sounds like a show I know I would have liked. See, I'm a murder/mystery/suspense/lover (through and though), so even though there is a high concentration of murders that happen right in the heart of the seemingly quiet village of Midsomer County, I still enjoy the ride.

Razz. I really loved Nettles old sidekick, Daniel Casey (http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/05/23/danandjohnmain_070122064847274_wideweb__300x297.jp g) (DS Gavin Troy), but I will admit I'm slowly warming to Jason Hughes (http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01850/adam-nicolson-3_1850877b.jpg) (DS Ben Jones). The new Pathologist, Tamzin Malleson (http://sharetv.org/images/guide/636785.jpg) (Dr Kate Wilding), is also proving to be a hard-sell. Only time will tell I guess...

Problem with me is, I hate change.

Just as a side-note, John Hopkins (http://midsomermurders.org/johnhopkins4.jpg) (DS Dan Scott), who left the cast after just 14 episodes, seemed like a chemically mismatched choice (from the start) to me.

sweetana3
3-25-12, 12:56pm
They are the DVDs I watch when I am sewing. Love the calmness and interesting stories. I have 18 seasons. I started with Inspector Morse and all his shows then went on to Inspector Lewis. Love them all. Right now we are absorbed with Lark Rise to Candleford.

kally
3-25-12, 1:35pm
I watch all of these on Youtube. You just have to watch in 10 minute segments. I don't mind the new guy; he takes some getting used to. Of course, like everyone else, I loved John Nettles.

All of these shows, Lark Rise to Candleford, etc. can be found on Youtube.

IshbelRobertson
3-25-12, 5:49pm
Mrs M
Here's the wiki page re Bergerac: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergerac_(TV_series)

My husband has just got back from a 4 day fishing trip with his best friend to St Helier in Jersey. Those islands are interesting, the only area of the UK that was invaded by the Nazis and the people were living under the control of Germany.

Mrs-M
3-25-12, 9:16pm
I'm coming to visit you, Sweetana3! :) I miss Inspector Morse... I'm slowly warming to Lewis.

Thanks, Kally. Will be checking it out. Yeah, the first episode with Neil Dudgeon, I thought, "this guy is NOT going to last"...

Ishbel. Wow! When I visited the link you posted, then Googled, Bergerac, I was looking at the images and thinking, "where's John Nettles", then as I looked at a few other images it dawned on me that John Nettles was 30 years younger. Talk about change!!! I did not recognize him.

sweetana3
3-26-12, 6:09am
Another great series is Blue Murder. Similiar to Midsomer but with a female lead detective. She is divorced with four kids and all the household drama, kept in the background. Same actress that played on Jonathan Creek, another funny detective show. Or how about Pie in the Sky? What could better than food and detection?

American shows are always the same with skinny girls, tight clothes, lots of violence, etc. The UK can have Dawn French (wonderful) and John Nettles or Thaw and how about Doc Martin? They would never be cast in the US much to our detriment.

goldensmom
3-26-12, 7:02am
I've not heard of the series but now I am curious. I'll see if I can get it from the library and check it out. I assume the earlier seasons better?

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 8:39am
Oh, I just know I'd love Blue Murder. How right your are about American programming, Sweetana3. IMO, BBC Television and it's content related to it's drama, murder, and mystery series, is head and shoulders above it's counterpart. The calibre and level is esteemed and noteworthy, for sure.

I miss John Edward Thaw (a lot). He was taken far too early. If I had to list my favourite handful of BBC series, here's how it would sift out.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. (http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2011/11/29/1322584551998/ITV-Archive-007.jpg) (With Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke). The best!
Poirot.
A Touch of Frost.
Dalziel and Pascoe.
Midsomer Murders.
Lewis.

Goldensmom. I just know you'd love it. The earlier season is better IMO, but don't let that sway your interest.

IshbelRobertson
3-26-12, 9:19am
I would add Ian Rankin's 'Rebus' series to that list, Mrs M - Ken Stott is another of our wonderful actors, not goodlooking at all but mesmerising. Mind you, the Scots accents may be a bit much for some people. I love Rankin's books and think Stott plays Rebus very well. If you want to see Edinburgh in all its glory AND the seamier side of it, then the police procedural Rebus has it all!

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 9:37am
I loved Rebus! Wallander (http://bookblog.scandinavianbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Kenneth-Branagh-Wallander1.jpg), too!!!

Adding Lovejoy, to the mix as well! Do I ever miss that show. Do you all remember Lovejoy?

sweetana3
3-26-12, 11:23am
Have any of you tried to watch episodes of Taggart? It takes almost the whole thing for me to begin to truly understand the accents. A little darker but interesting.

I wish Silent Witness was available for our Region. I liked the female character.

America copies UK shows but the American ones seem to be more over the top and commercial. One UK show was Life Laundry about hoarding. It was a great half hour show that was very sensitive to the people involved. US took it and made it an hour it was all about the junk people buy and redecorating. Another US show is Hoarders and the show is getting more and more extreme. Too bad our demographic is 18-25 year olds. (seems the show designers are the same age.)

IshbelRobertson
3-26-12, 11:38am
Sweetana3 - I used to LOVE Taggart (the 'Weegie' accents are really thick, though, so I can understand why you have to get your 'ear' in to truly 'get' it!) - but the last series, which I think went out here in Autumn 2011, wasn't quite up to scratch, imo. Mainly because the younger, gay police officer was cut from the lineup, with no explanation or back story as to why he was gone.

'Thur's bin a MURRRRDER'!

Mrs-M
3-26-12, 11:30pm
I've never heard of Taggart, before. (Going to Google it). I, too, have trouble with strong UK accents. Yes, Silent Witness. I love that show.

We're spoiled rotten in the way of BBC Programming, because we have a station (channel) that airs commercial-free broadcasts, and it just so happens that the commercial-free channel hosts a majority of the BBC programming we get. Nothing but pure watching enjoyment.

I remember Life Laundry. I didn't watch it regularly, but the shows I did watch I definitely enjoyed them. Hoarders, I can't watch. The people and cases are just too deep-rooted for me to handle. Such sorrow and misfortune.

Ishbel. Lately I've been catching a UK term/word (used on Lewis), that I don't understand. The word occurs (most often) when either Lewis, or his sidekick, Laurence Fox (Detective Sergeant James Hathaway) address, Rebecca Front (Chief Superintendent Innocent), and they'll say "yes mum", or "yes mom", something like that. Do you know what they are saying?

IshbelRobertson
3-27-12, 6:24am
They are saying 'Ma'am' the same as you would address the Queen. It's pronounced Mamm, not Mar'm here!

sweetana3
3-27-12, 6:30am
I have to watch Wallender episodes twice to really get all that is going on. They are growing on me.

kitten
3-27-12, 6:50am
I LOVE Midsomer Murders! Adore John Nettles! Daniel Casey doesn't detract from the main action, and he's easy on the eyes. I sometimes wish they'd give him more to do. Hate the woman who plays Nettles' wife - I secretly suspect they don't like each other in real life, so it's fun to see them in the moments where they have to pretend to adore each other. I do think he likes the young actress who plays his daughter. Since they cropped her hair, she's got an eye-rolling attitude to match. "Daaaa-aaaad!" The Brits watch too much American telly! Not all teens are jerks! lol

Loved Waking the Dead with Trevor Eve, which emphasizes the forensic aspects of the cases. He's a powerful actor. Can't find the last three seasons on Netflix, might have to check YouTube.

Another one DH also likes (thankfully) is George Gently. The inspector is a fab no-nonsense type - somehow interesting to watch, though he's almost expressionless. The intensity is all in his eyes. Annoying younger sidekick, but I love his Scottish accent. Suspenseful and stylish - set in the 60s.

Enjoyed Blue Murder - I think they only made one season.

Also enjoy A Touch of Frost - my hubby doesn't like it, complains that they're always eating on the show and making him hungry (he's on a diet)!

I love Inspector Lynley, and would like to see the earlier series where he's the sidekick - someone above mentioned the name of it - would that be Inspector Morse?

I love the Brits! I must move there! (I'm sure it's not like on TV though, lol)

Oh, another great Brit series is Lovejoy with Ian MacShane. He was adorable in the 80s!

IshbelRobertson
3-27-12, 7:54am
George Gently is played by Martin Shaw. The series is set in Durham and his sidekick has a 'Geordie' accent, ie from Newcastle-upon-Tyne and environs. Co Durham is nearby - it's certainly not Scots!!!!

I loved Waking the Dead, too. Trevor Eve is a good actor and often appears in one-off dramas here on TV.

I never knew Lynley to BE the sidekick of anyone - certainly wasn't in any of the books. He has a female sidekick who IS Scots but uses an English accent to play the part (confusing, isn't it?!)

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 12:11pm
Thanks, Ishbel. It's been driving me batty!

BBC, runs in my blood, Sweetana3! :)

Kitten. Re: George Gentry, I wasn't able to get into it. It's funny how (sometimes) one takes on an instant disliking of a character (or actor) and there's no turning back. That's what happened to me Re: GG. Hmmm... you've got me thinking now Re: Nathaniel Parker (Inspector Lynley), and his appearance as a sidekick in another series. Going to check into it. I don't recall ever watching, Waking The Dead. Will have to check into that one, too.

Ishbel. Are you talking about Sharon Small (Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers)?

kally
3-27-12, 12:58pm
So many of these are on Youtube. Have a look. You have to poke around.

IshbelRobertson
3-27-12, 2:25pm
Mrs M
Yes, Sharon Small - born in Glasgow (I think), but definitely the west coast somewhere, I can detect it in her accent!

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 3:21pm
Youtube, and searching for many of these shows will be my evening escape (tonight), Kally! :)

Ishbel. Recognizing subtleties related to UK accents must come from being native to your land. I struggle to just understand certain words and phrases at times.

IshbelRobertson
3-27-12, 5:11pm
I suppose it's no different than an American recognising differences in accents there, or Canadians either for that matter!

Considering we are such a small country, it's just amazing how different the accents can be, even from places less than 5 miles apart. I can certainly detect the difference in accents between my home city and the surrounding areas. I had a colleague who swore he could tell whether the person speaking came from the south-side or the north of Edinburgh (I cannot detect any difference) - I CAN tell the difference between a 'posh' Edinburgh accent and a not-so-posh, though!

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 9:31pm
Very interesting, Ishbel. I really hope I see the day where I get to visit the UK. It's been a dream of mine for a long time.

pony mom
3-27-12, 9:57pm
Mrs-M, I love Lovejoy too! I loved the Lady Jane Felsham character and wanted to be her.

The books that Midsomer Murders were based on were pretty light-hearted, which is why some of the stories are a bit macabre. I enjoy seeing actors from other shows I've watched over the years on the MM episodes. Such a dangerous place to live. Another thing I've noticed about the show is the makeup--it's always very subtle and really natural looking. My local library has many UK series available including MM, Lovejoy, Open All Hours (G-g-g-Granville!), Only Fools and Horses, Blue Murder, One Foot in the Grave, Upstairs Downstairs, House of Elliot, Jonathon Creek---oh, so many.

I wish they'd get The Good Neighbors (or The Good Life). Very timely right now.

kally
3-28-12, 2:03am
I just watched Lewis tonight on Youtube. Sometimes the titles are hidden - something like I.L. )and then initials for the name of the episode. One you find one, grab the person whos channel it is and subscribe.

IshbelRobertson
3-28-12, 5:21am
One of my favourite comedy shows was 'Waiting for God'. Set in an genteel geriatric home in Bournemouth (the place of which it is said - Bournemouth, the place where people go to die and then forget why they moved!) One of the main characters was called Diana Trent, a retired overseas correspondent. She certainly wasn't willing to wait for god in quiet preparation... It would probably be considered old-hat if I saw it today, but in those days I always said I was a Diana Trent-in-waiting!

Mrs-M
3-28-12, 4:43pm
Pony Mom. I'm going to have to check-in at our local library and see what they have in the way of UK series. Every now and then I look at DVD's and things (of such) and think, "should I"... Maybe one day I'll just do it! :) I remember Upstairs Downstairs and House of Elliot, albeit vaguely. P.S. Re: the appeal of being favourite characters, I always think, "what a great life it must be to be able to star in a murder/mystery/drama/suspense series, and actually live out a life comparable to the real".

Kally. I faltered a little last night, getting wrapped up doing some other things, but tonight I have Youtube, in my sights! Appreciate the hints and tips as to locating perspective shows and things.

Ishbel. Ah yes, "Waiting for God", I've watched it before and enjoyed the comedy. Another one of my favourites is, "Are You Being Served"! I love that show!!!