PDA

View Full Version : my resume is too long

Zoe Girl
3-24-12, 5:42pm
I am working on updating my resume for the next teacher job cycle. I feel good about it, really looking better. The only problem is that there is so much to put on it and I feel I am not selling myself to not include some of this. And when I focus on the list of curriculum I have done then it is not as exciting as saying what I have created and adapted.

I have been reading about portfolios, I have a large one but I am also thinking about a shorter version that was recommended. I have so much to include with photos and samples and all that. So I am thinking that I will keep the resume short and then send a mini portfolio?

I got a little confidence here, no matter what I still have a job that I love. sooo, gonna go work on it.

rosarugosa
3-24-12, 6:02pm
Hi Zoe Girl, How long is your resume? I work in an HR dept, and it seems to be the consensus that the "one page rule" no longer applies. I myself am also a fan of the compelling cover letter. I hired one person whom I wouldn't have even interviewed if not for her strong cover letter, which was only 3 -4 sentences long. On the other hand, if your resume is a book, many hiring managers won't take time to read it, because with the current job market, the influx of resumes can be overwhelming. I'm certainly not an expert, but what I might like to see when I have my hiring manager's hat on would be: 1.) great cover letter 2.) strong 1 -2 page resume without a bunch of typos 3.) the offer to submit portfolio if that were relevant to the position (in my world, a portfolio wouldn't usually apply). Good luck!

fidgiegirl
3-24-12, 7:55pm
1) Strong verbs
2) Electronic portfolio

I'm verbose, and it's hard for me to pare down, too. But when I go back and read things I worked really, really hard to make shorter and use more varied and powerful language, they really sound good.

Good luck!!

Zoe Girl
3-24-12, 10:42pm
Thank you rosa and fidgie.,

I am already at a 2 page resume, I cannot cut anymore! I had more on it but then I realized it looked cramped and I had too many details in older jobs. I focused on the last 2 and put some other listed but without as many details. Stronger verbs too! I put more of the 'created' actions at the top of the descriptions instead of the things that principals will likely know, such as planning and implementing curriculums and testing. The cover letters are the biggies. I tried in this district before and I wrote decent cover letters however with limited experience in urban schools I think that (plus the experience piece) they fell short. Now I can say something about being in urban schools for about 2 years.

Fidgie thanks for the hint on on-line portfolios. I found a free site and am setting it up. I may do the paid version to put more into my portfolio, we will see. It will also help me organize for a printed portfolio. But first some strong cover letters!

Like I said I have a job with the district I love, and I miss the classroom, and the pay is about $15K a year difference unless something changes in my current job. So no matter what happens it will be okay.

fidgiegirl
3-24-12, 11:16pm
Fidgie thanks for the hint on on-line portfolios. I found a free site and am setting it up. I may do the paid version to put more into my portfolio, we will see. It will also help me organize for a printed portfolio. But first some strong cover letters!

Like I said I have a job with the district I love, and I miss the classroom, and the pay is about $15K a year difference unless something changes in my current job. So no matter what happens it will be okay.

I recommend Weebly as an easy free website builder if you change your mind on the portfolio site. I have used a portfolio-specific site in the past but with a general website you can also make it.

Isn't it amazing the difference between HAVING to find a job and just WANTING to find a job? I am (luckily) in the same boat. I would like to search for a different position, but if I don't, I have one waiting for me that I would do a good job at and mostly like to do.

Good luck!!