PDA

View Full Version : Stroke.

Anita
1-24-11, 8:06pm
Hi My Husband had another strokeand right now the right side is affected and his speech.He had a stroke Sunday was told i could take him home bt he had another stroke during the night.Has any one experience stroke with loss of speech and does it take a long time to get it back? if ever?:(
Anita

libby
1-24-11, 9:04pm
My mom had several strokes that affected her speech. I think if she had done some speech therapy she would have recovered much more of her abilities tha she did. As it was she struggled alot with talking especially if she was tired or upset about something. (((hugs))) and take care.........

Anita
1-24-11, 9:43pm
Hi Libby.Did your mom recover all of her speech.My huband has seen a speech terapist today and tomorrow a phisical terapist,sure hope it all comes back this was his 5th stroke counthing the 2 on Sunday.
Anita

Anita
1-24-11, 9:44pm
oops can't write therapist lol,
Anita

Wildflower
1-25-11, 3:25am
Both my Mother and Grandmother had severe strokes, but they recovered their speech eventually. It took some time though and they were never 100 percent.

Anita, I am thinking of you and your husband. I hope all goes well. Hugs.

chrisgermany
1-25-11, 4:29am
Therapy and persistence is extremely important.
My uncle (72) has had a stroke one month ago. He was in hospital, then rehab, now at home. He can walk and talks well again, but not loud.
All the best to your husband and to you.

libby
1-25-11, 11:08am
No Anita my mom did not totally recover her speech. She struggled with it until she died. I'm sure speech therapy would have heped her.

leslieann
1-25-11, 11:45am
Anita, I am sorry to hear about your husband's trouble. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, but I suspect that you might have to be the one who insists on the treatment and emphasizes the persistence that the other posters noted. I wish you strength with this.

Peace,
Leslie Ann

babr
1-25-11, 3:28pm
i am thinking of you and your husband;

Mrs-M
1-25-11, 7:24pm
Sending caring thoughts and well wishes your way Anita.

Anita
1-25-11, 7:59pm
Thank you all for your kind words.My husband is getting all the therapy he needs but was told today the speech might not come back or very different than it was right now he can't make out any words but understands what were saying.So were praying for a miracle for sure.
Anita. Ps will probable have to sell our hobby farm.

loosechickens
1-25-11, 8:37pm
I don't know the answer to your questions, Anita, but just wanted to send along some cyberhugs to you. Sounds like a really hard time for you and your husband right now.

LooseChickens

Hattie
1-25-11, 9:04pm
My thoughts and prayers are with both you and your husband.

fidgiegirl
1-25-11, 9:19pm
No advice, just caring thoughts.

Aspen
1-29-11, 10:23pm
Speech therapy should help and if not, they should have some assistive devices he can use. Big hugs!

JaneV2.0
1-30-11, 12:13am
He will likely continue to improve; each case is different, but it's not unusual for medical personnel to push a worst-case scenario. A relative of mine had a series of speech-affecting strokes and came back to nearly 100%. Look for a support group like Yahoo's Stroke Survivors for a wealth of information. Good luck to both of you.

Anita
1-30-11, 10:28am
update on husbands stroke.Afterone week speech is not improving at all.he is getting therapy every day.he says the same thing over and over again but they are not words and he keeps going on with that.I start going late for a visit as I can't stand more than 1 hour oh it.just hope all goes well when he comes home.
Anita

libby
1-30-11, 10:40am
I'm so sorry Anita. It is hard to deal with I know. Please consider that he has only had one week of therapy and it may take months of therapy to see any difference. Hang in there and take good care of yourself.

danna
1-30-11, 11:28am
Anita, it will take a long time but, no getting around how hard it will be for both of you, my caring thoughts and good wishes are with you....

Anita
2-4-11, 1:49am
Oh my ,it's has been such a difficult day today.I was told that even with extensive rehabillitation it is not safe to take my husband home again.The Dr said that he can never be left alone not even for 5 minutes and sooner or later they all do some thing stupid and it is not safe for me.I just don't get it,he understands every thing we say he walks,dresses himself but he can't speak ,read or write,but that might come back.So how can he be so dangerous for me.Any way lots of crying today thats for sure.And I'm determent to get him home again.
Anita

redfox
2-4-11, 2:15am
Oh, Anita, I'm so sorry you're in the midst of this. My Mom is my Dad's caretaker - not stroke - and this part of their married life is very hard.

May I suggest that you get some support from the social worker in the hospital? And blessings, my dear.

chrisgermany
2-4-11, 6:21am
How hard for you and DH.
If the doctor cannot explain better what would be the risk in taking DH home I would decide on my own, based on my ability to care for DH as good as or better than the hospital and DH's wishes, if he can express them.
It might require to sign some document that he is leaving at his own risk - so what? All our life is our own risk. Staying in hospital longer than necessary does not transfer that risk to somebody else.

My uncle hated to stay longer than necessary in hospital and rehab and it would have been cruel not to take him home as soon as his health allowed.
Now he is getting as much as physio at home as in hospital, enjoys his home and is still making progress.
All the best!

Anita
2-4-11, 9:03am
Thank you redfox and chrisgermany.After my husband is moved to rehabilitation centre I WILL take him home as soon as possible,I know my husband and know what he likes and that is being at HOME .
Anita

Kat
2-4-11, 9:48am
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Anita, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. This must be very difficult for you both! No advice for you, really--just prayers and caring thoughts sent your way. I hope that you have some friends and family members you can lean on for support.

Take care and be extra kind to yourself!

Anita
2-4-11, 3:29pm
Hi Kat.I'm so lucky that we have 2 great kids,and friends who are the best any one could ever wish for.All our Brothers and Sisters live in The Netherlands but we WILL be fine.
Anita

JaneV2.0
2-4-11, 4:12pm
I would pay minimal attention to crepe-hanging doctors. I had an elderly relative who was completely written off by his--who clearly wanted him to just die (GOMER syndrome). He refused to go along with their program and went on to live a few more years on his terms. Caretaking is grueling, and not a small part of the stress is dealing with personnel who are supposed to be there to help.

larknm
2-8-11, 7:35pm
I had a stroke in 1991. I have not fully recovered my ease of speaking--my speech problem is called apraxia. I wish I had gone to a speech therapist right away--I understand the sooner you do, the better your recovery. My speech problems undermine my sense of identity, self-confidence, and ability to connect with other people. I have never been to a speech therapist, but have seen one in action with my mother after her stroke and it was phenomenal.

Anita
2-8-11, 10:46pm
larknm sorry to hear you never got any speech therapy.My husband got started right awayso far no results.He is on the list for complete rehabiltation I was told today he was moved to top of the list,so hopefully it don't take to long. It's so difficult trying to find out what he wants, right now I'm so tired to tired to sleep.wich doesn't help of course.every day a couple times to the hospital to work with him when the therapist have to go and work with other patients. Well trying to go get some sleep or rest tomorrow there will be another day.
Anita

CatsNK
2-9-11, 9:00am
Anita I'm so sorry. My FIL had a stroke in August. His speech has not entirely recovered. The advice we've gotten is that recovery can go on for as long as a full year - there can still be improvements during that time. We've been led to understand that after a year there's not much hope of further improvement.

If the rehab is a good one, this might be the best place for now. Just so you can marshall your strength for what lies ahead when he does come home. As others have pointed out, it's hard to overestimate how difficult caretaking can be.

I hope your husband improves. Have they talked to you about personality changes that can result from stroke? Depending on what side it was there are different mental changes that may happen. Such as poor judgment, depression and more. Something to be aware of as you move forward with this.

Anita
2-18-11, 4:09pm
Update on my Dh stroke.Today i took my DH home after almost 4 weeks in hospital.He is on the list for speech therapy but was told it might take another 6to 8 months before there's a place open.I going to take him 3x a week for speech therapy in the hospital here were he was getting it every day. I sure hope i can handle all this,it's very hard to figure out what he is trying to say.Was hoping for some home care so i can go at least get away for an hour or so but................ doesn't look like it will keep at it though.

Anita

chrisgermany
2-19-11, 9:49am
It is a tough time for both of you.
Remember what they say on airplanes: Put on your own oxygene mask first, before taking care of others.
Make sure you get some rest each day. If you don't, it will not help DH.

ke3
2-19-11, 1:44pm
I missed this thread too, as I haven't been visiting the boards lately; but Anita, my heart goes out to you. My mother had a stroke almost one year ago, and lost all her speech--totally gibberish; and she couldn't read. One neurologist told her "It probably won't get any better, you know. This is probably it." Well, there went that neurologist out the door. Today, after speech therapy three times a week, with me filling in as amateur speech therapist (I'm a language teacher anyway; I went to the appointments, observed, took notes, and got copies of all the exercises) on the other days, she's so much better. One thing that really helped, once she got so she could read one word at a time, was that we put sticky notes on practically everything in her house, naming the things. And here we are, one year later, and she has almost normal speech! She gets stuck on words more than a regular person; but heck, she's 78 years old! Medicare just cut off her speech therapy benefits; but we're working on that, since if a doctor gives the order that she needs it, they'll provide.

It was a really hard time, of course; and my mother at first felt her life was over, and kept asking for hospice (she was able to identify the correct word if we just kept guessing what she was trying to say); but hospice wasn't an option, since she wasn't anywhere near death. When she realized that the speech therapy was helping, she became really motivated, and worked hard.

So, I hope my mom's story adds one more ray of hope to your small stock of rays. Last year we were in a state of total upheaval; today my mom is doing well--just needs a driver, since none of us is sure whether it would be possible for her to drive. The really important thing, it seems, is to begin the speech therapy immediately, and do as much of it every day as your dh can handle.

Oh, there was something else--I don't know if I missed something, as I looked over the whole thread in a bit of a hurry, but I saw something about the hospital's concern over "danger" or something like that. In our experience last year, the rehab hospital kept saying my mom was a HUGE FALL RISK, and that when she got home she'd need someone to walk right behind her, holding onto her harness, at all times. That lasted about one day too, as it was immediately clear to all of us that it was in the hospital's best interest to be overly cautious with their patients.

Your dh is lucky to have you, Anita! Sending healing, calming thoughts your way.

Anita
2-19-11, 4:20pm
Thank you so very much Ke3 my DH gets speech therapy 3x a week starting Tuesday.He had been getting every day since he was in hospital.there are a few words here and there like OK.He can't read,speak or write I will be sitting in the therapy sessions and do them on day's at home.The Dr who said he was just to dangerous meant that according to him sooner or later those people with this kind of stroke will do some thing stupid and he might harm ME not himself.We'll see .of course he can no longer drive but thats ok i'm just hoping he learns to speak just a little so i can figure out what it is he wants.Again thank you so much for this info it's so much appriciated.
Anita

Anita
2-23-11, 11:50am
Update on DH condition.We just learned that he has cancer cells in his mouth under the tongue.Treatment will not be easy and will hamper his ability to speak,wich he can't right now any way.Short of this story is that he wants to die rather than go throu chemo.I'm just a wreck right now in a way i can see his point but.................don't know what to do.it's his life.
Anita

Mrs-M
2-23-11, 12:07pm
Anita. A warm tender and gentle comforting hug for you. (I know that really doesn't help any, but somehow it always makes me feel better). Feel better because I know that you know that I care and am thinking of you.

Wildflower
2-23-11, 5:49pm
I'm so sorry, Anita. Praying for you and your DH.

chrisgermany
2-25-11, 5:09am
I'm so sorry. Sending hugs and best wishes.

reader99
2-25-11, 8:44am
Thank you so very much Ke3 my DH gets speech therapy 3x a week starting Tuesday.He had been getting every day since he was in hospital.there are a few words here and there like OK.He can't read,speak or write I will be sitting in the therapy sessions and do them on day's at home.The Dr who said he was just to dangerous meant that according to him sooner or later those people with this kind of stroke will do some thing stupid and he might harm ME not himself.We'll see .of course he can no longer drive but thats ok i'm just hoping he learns to speak just a little so i can figure out what it is he wants.Again thank you so much for this info it's so much appriciated.
Anita

When my DH was diagnosed with cancer, he made all his own treatment decisions, very occasionally discussing with me after the fact. Because of that, I have a positive feeling about the whole thing, because he lived and died on his own terms. That was very important to him, and the fact that my help made it possible for him to do so was important to me.

CatsNK
2-25-11, 8:46am
((Anita)) I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you.

libby
2-25-11, 10:42am
Oh Anita I am so sorry. ((((hugs))))

Anita
3-17-11, 2:36am
Oh my God today was such a bad day,I don't know how much more i can take. After just about 8 weeks and speech therapy every day my Dh still can't say more than a few words.And he is getting very upset and wants to come home.I just can't take it any more.
Anita

Valley
3-17-11, 10:59am
I am really sorry to hear about the slow progress with your husband. I'm sure that you feel very helpless and frustrated! I hope that you have someone who can help you cope with all of the stress that comes with this situation. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Kat
3-17-11, 11:15am
(((Anita)))
I'm so sorry. Recovery from a stroke can sometimes be slow-going. I am sure you are both feeling some frustration at this point. As Valley said, I hope you have some friends or family to support you during this difficult time. I, too, will keep you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something more I could do to help you! Hang in there!

chrisgermany
3-17-11, 12:37pm
I am so sorry for you and DH. It can be so frustrating. I just hope he does not give himself up.
And please find some rest for yourself, too.

loosechickens
3-17-11, 1:24pm
just sending lots of cyberhugs your way......perhaps the only role harder than the person trying to recover might be the person who is their partner, facing a long and difficult future, and having their heartstrings pulled on a daily basis with the person wanting to come home.

hang in there, do the best you can, but don't be afraid to set limits.....if you are not able to care for your husband, he may have to stay in a care situation. However unhappy that situation is......caregivers are often worn right down to the point where they become ill themselves, then no one gets cared for. Just as on the plane they tell you in an emergency to put your own oxygen on first, the same thing applies here. Do what you have to do to care for yourself, or you will not be ABLE to provide any care for your sweetie.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Anita)))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

libby
3-17-11, 3:46pm
I agree with loosechickens. You must take care of yourself or you will be no good to you husband. Are there any brain injury support groups in your area. It would probably help you to talk to others who are in the same situation. (((many hugs)))

Anita
4-1-11, 11:31pm
Hi after about 10 weeks in hospital my DH is coming home friday April the 8th.His speech his improved some what and we're hoping it will keep doing that at ahome.He will get therapy 2 times a week and maybe I hire some speech therapist for the other 3 days.It's still very frustrating but i have also come to terms with it.He is really looking forward to next Friday,so I'm hoping all goes well.
Thanks for listening.
Anita

Kat
4-2-11, 10:35am
Oh Anita, this is agood news! I will pray for a smooth transition home and continued improvement for your DH.

Please send us updates when you can. We do care about you and how you are doing.

(((Anita)))

redfox
4-2-11, 10:56am
Anita, my best friend's fiancé had a stroke at 43, and they communicated some very powerful feelings between them with their eyes, as he was unable to speak at all. Rosie tells me how he would listen to her, and by lying close to him and be still with him as she looked into his eyes, they connected. I hope you and your dear husband can have some similar closeness.

sumarie
4-2-11, 10:20pm
Haven't read this entire thread, but if it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd recommend a really good book called My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor. She is an extremely educated scientist who, in her mid-30's had a stroke. This book tells about the experience of the actual stroke, and then the process of her recovery from it. It's really helpful to anyone at all, because she includes information about what is and is not helpful to a person who's unable to speak (or speak clearly), as well as other things we might not even think of. It is completely readable, not difficult to understand, and hopeful.

domestic goddess
4-2-11, 10:28pm
Anita, I'm sorry to be joining in so late. First of all, let me say that I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Life can be so difficult at times. My dh had a major stroke at the age of 34. He actually had 2 areas of infarct, which changed the game a bit. He didn't really have much trouble with speech, though he had dysphasic speech, was difficult to understand at times, and the sound of his voice was changed. Sometimes people didn't want to talk to him on the phone, because he sounded like he had been drinking. What was more problematic was that he was unable to eat for some time; he was tube-fed until he relearned how to eat safely. He was able to eat before he left rehab, though.
Do push the rehab to set you up with home nursing, or with some type of home care. At least at first, someone should be with him while you go shopping, etc. He may not need a nurse, but some type of supervision is needed. Is there anything like an adult day care center where you are for him to attend, at least sometimes? The chance to socialize with others can aid rehab, help relieve depression, and give you a break, too. Believe me, it can be exhausting to have to do everything. If you have family, friends, church members, etc., who can spend a little time with him so you can get out and do whatever you have to do, then don't be shy about asking them for help.
After dh's stroke, he had many changes in his brain that caused us some problems. He had some memory problems, which meant that he was never able to return to work. When he first came home, he was very emotionally labile, which was very difficult for me to deal with. This did resolve with time, but it was way too long for me! He often exercised poor judgement, but I was able to leave him alone when necessary, but if he fell, he would just lay in the floor rather than try to get up, even though he had been taught how to do that, and he and I had worked on it at home.
Ask if any of the physical therapists from rehab can come out to your house and suggest modifications that will make things safer. We did add an addition to our house, with a bedroom and bathroom that were larger, to help him get around, and safer for him. The shower in the bathroom was made large enough, and without anything to step over, so that he could walk right in, or we could even wheel a chair in for him. The sink was without cabinets under it, so his wheelchair could be wheeled right up to it. He didn't use the wheelchair all the time, but at one point he needed surgery on his foot, and it was a big help. We took up all throw and/or area rugs, so his foot wouldn't get caught on the edge. Since he could read and write, we used a piece of metal on a tray table, so he could secure paper while he was using it, by using magnets. With a plastic handle we could add to a soda bottle, he could pour his soda. He would never bother to get a sandwich out of the fridge, so I always had to come home to fix meals for him. An electric lift chair is a great bonus if one has trouble getting up from sitting.
That your dh has regained some speech is hopeful. Of course, his recovery will never be as quick or easy as you could wish for him, but it can be enough to make life much easier. In time, you will be better able to figure out what he wants, and he will be better able to communicate it. You can develop a kind of sign language, or some other means of communication. There were some words that dh would say that I never could figure out, but he was able to say things in a different way, if I needed that.
Things won't be like they were, and they won't always be easy, but I wouldn't be too quick to give up the hobby farm, if it is something that gives you both pleasure. Later, if you decide it is time to let it go, then you can, but sometimes it is good to have some vestige of your old life to give you a feeling of "normalcy". It helps you to settle into your new life, and with time, the changes may not have to be so great. But since he has had so many strokes in a rather short time, it would be good to find out why. If he continues to suffer strokes, the damage may be cumulative, and you may have to make some big changes then.
I wish you both luck, love and understanding on your journey.

Anita
4-3-11, 4:30pm
Hi Domestic goddess. thank you so much for all the info,were getting better at communicating but it sure is a slow progress.The reason for all the strokes is that the right side artery in his neck is 94 % plugged and the Dr's will not operate as it is to dangerus .we're hanging in there and are going to take one day at a time for now.Thanak you again
Anita

domestic goddess
4-3-11, 8:55pm
Anita, I can certainly see why they wouldn't want to try to open that artery, but it seems as if he might be a candidate for a bypass. Having repeated strokes seems as if it would be dangerous, too. However, you have a good attitude in hanging in and taking things one day at a time. Sometimes that is all you can do, and often it is enough. Just please take care of yourself, too, and don't turn down any opportunity to accept help from those who offer it. Give them the blessing of feeling that they can help out, and get a bit of rest yourself.

larknm
4-7-11, 11:25am
When I was laid up for several months last year, scarcely able to walk with a walker, etc. I found that when I let people know specifically what I needed help with, they came out of the woodwork and were glad to do the things. It was hard, I wasn't used to it but every little bit was a huge help.

Anita
4-24-11, 1:37am
Update on my DH .he has been home for about 2 weeks now,and it has been interesting to say the least.The speech therapist is working with him to try to communicate different,as his speech is very limited.However he is doing pretty good and is much happier than in the hospital were all he could think of was that he wanted to die.This morning i came down to find him cleaning the kitchen floor he spilled about 1 liter milk on it,he was cleaning it with 0ne kleenex lol.didn't work to well.But we are getting better at understanding and expressing.I like to thank all the SL who to the time to to reply .I will keep in touch.
Anita

Kat
4-24-11, 9:10am
(((Anita)))

Thanks so much for the update. I am sure that it will take some time to adjust to your new situation, but I am so glad to hear that your DH seems happier and in better spirits. A positive atittude can make such a difference in terms of recovery. Continued prayers for you both. Please do pop in once in awhile to give us an update.

Take care of yourself!

Anita
6-19-11, 10:06pm
Hi update on DH stroke.My DH has been home about 8 weeks but not much has changed.He gets speech therapy 3 times a week.He has severe aphasia and aprexia life sure is different.I'm getting very.very tired my blood pressure is way up some day's I'm at wits end ,but than there's always tomorrow right?Thanks for listening.
Anita

loosechickens
6-19-11, 11:49pm
As hard as it is for the patient, it's often even harder on the caregiver. try to take breaks when you can.....you need to watch your own health, too. Hope you can find some kind of respite care for him so that you can have a break. Sending you warm thoughts for what you and your husband both are going through......

thinkgreen
6-20-11, 12:45am
((Anita)) I am so sorry to hear you and your husband are going through this. Is there any chance you can do as loosechickens recommends and give yourself a little break by having respite care? After eight weeks you could use some help to rebuild your energies.

You may be interested in the movie Waking Up Wally - the Walter Gretzky story. Wayne Gretzky's father's story of recovery from a stroke that nearly killed him and left a ten year hole in his life. Although what the family went through was very very difficult, the film is inspirational as it shows the possibilities of therapy and recovery.

My thoughts are prayers are with you both.