PDA

View Full Version : organizing a bit at a time

babr
3-29-12, 3:58pm
I have gotten into what i call little organizing; such as briefly looking at our health items and just grabbing maybe two things to toss

and not sure who posted regarding the 365 website; but i love the emails as it reminds me to get rid of at least one thing even if it is little a day; and then giving myself lots of praise

I am not motivated to tackle too much right now

Stella
3-29-12, 5:05pm
I do this too. I'll toss stuff in the bathroom while I brush my teeth, or go through my mail sorter as I'm watching something on the stove. It makes a difference.

loosechickens
3-30-12, 12:21am
I'm really into this kind of stuff....living in such a small space as this motorhome means that if only a small amount of stuff accumulates, it very quickly becomes a problem....culling, organizing and every time something comes in, something else should go out is a good everyday process to keep stuff under control.

Float On
3-30-12, 8:47am
My favorite LBOT (little bit of time) to declutter/clean/organize is when my office needs sorted, filed, dusted I pull up an episode of Hoarders on the A&E website and watch that - my office has never been so clean! You can get a lot done in 40 minutes when you are being grossed out.

Another frugal board I'm on we use to keep a thread going called LBOT and we'd post daily what we'd accomplished in 5-40 minutes.

Cleaning out the fridge while cooking is also one of my LBOTs. Last night while the taco stuffing was simmering I did a quick run through on the fridge and tossed 6 things (leftovers leftover a little too long, expired ricotta and sourcream) and I wiped down the interior quick and made a note of what I needed to buy.

Mrs-M
3-30-12, 11:17am
"Organizing a bit at a time", is one of my favourite trade secrets! Come to think of it, without having the option of doing things a little at a time, I'd struggle to get things done. I do find the older the kids are getting, the easier it's becoming, but even then, maintaining a household with a large family presents it's nonstop share of challenges.

EarthSky
4-1-12, 4:42pm
Love this notion of organizating a little bit at a time!! It is what I've been doing as I prepare to put my house on the market, move and downsize - and now this post helps me feel much better about it! I think the hard part is not seeing a significant change all a once - but its helpful to recognize the small steps taken toward the goal!

Zoebird
4-1-12, 8:14pm
That's what I do too. The closet has been a difficult tackle, so I'm doing it a smidge at a time as we go. I'm working to save up another $150 to get more shelves for the closet so that we can reorganize everything for DS and DH and just make it much nicer in that room.

BLARGH!

Stella
4-2-12, 9:41am
Come to think of it, without having the option of doing things a little at a time, I'd struggle to get things done.

That's how I feel too. Someone told me after I had the girls when I was complaining about not knowing how to find the time to do housework with two tiny kids, "you're looking for a free hour you just don't have right now. Learn to use the free 5 or 10 minutes you do have." That was a big shift for me.

jp1
4-17-12, 10:56pm
This concept had never really occurred to me. yet, I've occasionally done it without even thinking. Like when I went through the closet a few weeks ago and filled a bag of old clothes for goodwill in about 20 minutes. And the rest of the day I felt great about that. Yet it didn't occur to me to spend another 20 minutes the next day (sunday) and do something else. I think I"m going to try and put this in practice regularly. Looking at our whole apartment makes it seem like an overwhelming task. (shuddering now at the memory of the last time we packed and moved...) But we've really got things under control as far as bringing in new stuff, so it's truly just a matter of getting rid of old stuff we don't need/want. And since we don't have a deadline like a moving date, getting rid of junk slowly and surely sounds like a great plan!

flowerseverywhere
4-18-12, 5:49am
It only takes one drawer to straighten out, even one closet shelf to accomplish something. Especially when you combine it with a task you must do like others have stated. I try to look at stuff and think "Do I really need this and would I pay to move this?" I keep a cardboard box in the back room and just toss things in. About once a month I take a trip to the donation center. Very easy and non stressful. Of course as Loose stated, you have to really be careful about bringing new things in.

I do this with cleaning too. Every day I do something a little extra no matter how tired or unmotivated I am. I don't like to spend hours in a day cleaning but spending short bursts here and there throughout the day is OK.

Rosemary
4-18-12, 6:03am
Using 10 minutes to get stuff done is a large part of my productivity, as well! And challenging myself to get things done in that space that would normally take a little longer - when it's all you've got, things can either slide or get done. I've seen the results of letting it slide in a friend's crazy house.

frugalone
5-26-12, 2:48am
I am doing this, throwing out one or two items a day...but it's hard not to get discouraged.

I cannot BELIEVE how much CRAP there is in this house. Piles of stuff, stuff in boxes, empty jars and bottles. Today I found a jar on the counter blocking the toaster, and when I looked inside...it had a piece of a mailing envelope (one of those sturdy plastic ones) in it. Just sitting there. For months. Because my DH left it there I guess I thought it was important.

It's overwhelming. At this rate I'll never get through one room, much less the whole house. >:(

frugalone
6-12-12, 12:20am
Still slogging through it. It's awful. I found a bunch of Harry and David snacks in the cellar today. Inside its mailing box,inside a box next to vacuum tools. My mom sent the stuff to my husband for Xmas and since it's all sugary snacks, and he doesn't like to eat that stuff in front of me, he just put it "out of site, out of mind." At least he took the pears out before stashing it. Honestly, I keep telling my mother he doesn't eat chocolate anymore (upsets the stomach) and she keeps buying food.

And I keep telling him to give the food to the neighbors if he's not going to eat it. Instead he finds it easier to just put it somewhere and forget it. Is there something wrong with this guy or what?!

frugalone
6-17-12, 12:38am
I'm so frustrated. Today my husband said, "Why are you wasting time throwing out old bottles and plastic stuff? There's much bigger stuff that needs doing around here."
I was just trying to do what little bit I could. I feel kind of hurt.

Fawn
6-17-12, 4:36am
I'm so frustrated. Today my husband said, "Why are you wasting time throwing out old bottles and plastic stuff? There's much bigger stuff that needs doing around here."
I was just trying to do what little bit I could. I feel kind of hurt.

And why hasn't he started on the bigger stuff yet? Hmmm? ;)

iris lily
6-17-12, 9:55am
I can never participate in the counts of items thrown out here on this boards because when I get in a throw out mood, I just takes bags of stuff and out it goes. I can't be bothered to count the pieces. And oh yeah, yesterday--I was sorting clothes into piles, and our foster bulldog came along and squatted and "marked" the pile (i.e. did a pee) so she helped to move that pile along and out to the garbage.

Yesterday was a good day of getting rid of stuff. I got bags into the car and drove them to Goodwill. I did NOT shop at Goodwill! yay, me.

I gathered ten years worth of eyeglasses in their cases and dropped them off at the optician where they are collected for 3rd world countries. Now I have only one pair of back-up eyeglasses here--that is miraculous!

sweetana3
6-17-12, 12:09pm
I agree that it is hard enough for me to declutter without counting. This month will be interesting. 1/3 of our furniture is going to furnish Mom's new apartment. Bags and bags of things for her to start like toilet paper, towels, sheets, etc. are piled up. We have an ambitious moving project and she should be fully moved in within a one week period.

We will be able to see our dining room table, our breakfast room floor and the walls in our basement family room. It will be wonderful. Should be done by July 6.

frugalone
6-17-12, 8:01pm
couldn't have put it better myself.

And why hasn't he started on the bigger stuff yet? Hmmm? ;)

fidgiegirl
6-17-12, 8:30pm
frugalone, keep your chin up. My mom sounds kind of like your DH, and when I lived there, I was the you. I'd want to pick at some things and straighten here and there, but she could only see the big picture - that there was a LOT to get rid of. Well, the little steps are what makes the "big stuff" happen. I was just at my mom's and she consented to throw a few items out, which I found miraculous. But it made a big difference out on the porch. It's hard with a partner who isn't invested . . . just keep going. Just keep going. Really big hugs for you.

A related idea: DH and I have gotten away from this, but I'd like to get back to it: The Power Clean. We'd set the timer for 30 min or 60 min (depending on how much we were willing to invest that day) and just clean with abandon during the whole time. We'd accomplish a lot. In fact I should do it now that he's out of town. I find that because I don't want to, I kind of pick at it and it takes me hours. If I focus, more gets done and then time is left to enjoy the day.

Big hugs. Not fun.

fidgiegirl
6-17-12, 8:31pm
sweetana, good luck! It will be exciting for you!