PDA

View Full Version : Movies to watch over and over!

Greg44
1-24-11, 8:33pm
Just got done with my list on "things I would never buy" and DVD's are right there on the top. Not many movies I really want to invest in to watch over and over.

-- except for Father of the Bride with Steve Martin - I laugh at the same parts over and over!

Now my dw loves the Jane Austin movies -- her and my dd's watch them over and over. Hmm Pride & Prejudice I think they are. They have many of the lines memorized!

Movies you love to watch over and over?

redfox
1-24-11, 8:35pm
Never Cry Wolf. Dr. Zhivago. The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Star Trek movies. Monty Python. Great topic!

CathyA
1-24-11, 8:44pm
I love Master and Commander. Oh....and Meet the Fockers.

goldensmom
1-24-11, 9:03pm
Sound of Music
Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version)
Wild Hogs

catherine
1-24-11, 9:12pm
Places in the Heart (one of my very favorites)
Amadeus
Overboard (hilarious)
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (also hilarious, and another Steve Martin movie)

Midwife
1-24-11, 9:47pm
I second the Planes Trains and Automobiles.... Jeremiah Johnson, Last of the Mohicans, Deliverance(just kidding, although hubby would not be!), Chocolate, plus a number of others, and I dont even like to watch movies!!!

kib
1-24-11, 11:44pm
Boiling Springs? The tavern is my folks favorite place for dinner. They live at Greenridge Village over in Newville. Small world!

Wildflower
1-25-11, 3:00am
Mine are Forest Gump, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Legends of the Fall, Dances with Wolves, Mr. Holland's Opus, The Wedding Singer, Tommy Boy, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Wedding Singer, The Graduate, The Way We Were, The Birds, Road Trip, All 3 of the Focker movies, and any and all Elvis Presley movies.

There's more, but I can't think of all of them at the moment..... >8)

Wildflower
1-25-11, 3:03am
Oh yeah, the Sex and The City movies!! :+1:

And I'm not sure why I like them so much since it's totally opposite of the lifestyle I live. Maybe cause it's just a fantasy for me and fun to watch.....

herbgeek
1-25-11, 6:08am
Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally. Yes, an odd combination: geek and romantic.

peggy
1-25-11, 8:32am
Pride and Prejudice (either version although i like the Colin Firth one the best)
Sound of Music
Local Hero
House of Mirth
Gone with the Wind
Cannery Row

There are more but I can't think of them just now.

Jemima
1-25-11, 9:24am
Mine are 'Gone with the Wind', 'The Stand', and 'Alice in Wonderland'.

iris lily
1-25-11, 9:57am
We watched Planes Trains and Automobiles a few years in a row at our freind's house, it was her Thanksgiving tradition. I thought it was a funny tradition!

I've been known to wath Four Weddings and a Funeral when it was shown several times on teevee in one year.

But other than The Wizard of Oz watched as a child, aren't films I'ved watched multiple times, meaning more thatn 2 times on purpose.

Now, ask me about sticom re-runs: Sex and The City, Friends, Seinfield--I'll watch those over and over.Maybe that's why I like Four Weddings...that movie is really like 3 or 4 little films within one whole film.

Gingerella72
1-25-11, 10:01am
We watch movies over and over all the time, so for us it's worth the investment. With that said, we usually wait until our favorite video store thins out their rental stock and puts them on sale for 5.99 each.

Some of our favorites are:
Overboard
Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail
Wizard of Oz
Gone With The Wind
Any of the Pixar movies like Toy Story, Up, etc.
Lord of the Rings
Roman Holiday
All About Eve

Bastelmutti
1-25-11, 10:38am
Definitely Wizard of Oz and a few other classics, like Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Monsters Inc. when my kids watch it. Some Cary Grant movies. Newer ones - Room with a View; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Amelie. All of the Rankin & Bass Christmas specials - watch those every year.

Wildflower - I love The Wedding Singer! Will watch that anytime it comes on. Also, Groundhog Day & other Bill Murray movies. Hilarious and great for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

As for TV shows/series, we have watched the Firefly series multiple times & I can always turn on Seinfeld or M*A*S*H & watch it. Right now we're re-watching Arrested Development - it's even funnier the second time around.

libby
1-25-11, 11:04am
-You've Got Mail
-Mr.Hollands Opus
-Anne of Green Gables
-Forrest Gump
-Fried Green Tomatoes
-Sound of Music

CathyA
1-25-11, 12:39pm
DH and I occasionally get out our copy of "Master of Disguise" if we want to just veg out and laugh. It is sooooo silly and funny! Dana Carvey is so silly.

maribeth
1-25-11, 1:07pm
Anne of Green Gables! (The first two movies, anyway.) I've re-read the books many times too.

I was over 30 before I saw The Godfather for the first time. Ever since, if I catch it on TV, I can't help but be drawn into it. A great film!

Wildflower
1-25-11, 3:17pm
Oh, and can't forget all of the Chevy Chase Vacation movies - especially Christmas Vacation. It cracks me up everytime I see it! Can you tell that I'm easily amused.... LOL :D

Kat
1-25-11, 3:47pm
Just about any Hitch**** movie--Rear Window, North by Northwest, and To Catch a Thief are my favorites
It's a Wonderful Life
Beauty and the Beast
The Sound of Music
Notting Hill
Pride and Prejudice (the BBC version with Colin Firth)

Kat
1-25-11, 3:48pm
Oh, and Invincible. I love that movie.

Simpler at Fifty
1-25-11, 4:39pm
Shawshank Redemption
Bambi
Wizard of Oz
Truth about Cats and Dogs
Sound of Music

beckyliz
1-25-11, 5:08pm
Moonstruck
Raising Arizona
You've Got Mail
Forrest Gump
Others you have already mentioned EXCEPT those Focker and Chevy Chase movies - sorry, can't stand em!

KayLR
1-25-11, 5:52pm
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Christmas Vacation
The Christmas Story
Get Shorty (hilarious dialogue)
Usual Suspects
The LOTR Trilogy
If I ever see those old "Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter" movies with James Garner, I'll stop everything to watch them.
There are many more....

Rosemary
1-25-11, 5:59pm
I don't generally go out of my way to watch movies at all, but a few of my favorites over the years, which I have watched several times or more, have been
Casablanca
Mary Poppins (my all-time favorite movie)
Christmas Vacation (I usually don't really enjoy that type of movie, but I find this one hilarious)
L.A. Story

Glo
1-25-11, 8:11pm
A Walk in the Clouds, Gone with the Wind, The Christmas story.

Tenngal
1-25-11, 8:53pm
Lonesome Dove series
Gone with the Wind
Band of Brothers
Big Love
The Christmas Story
Independence Day

piper
1-26-11, 1:56am
Secondhand Lions
Enchanted
LOTR
Miss Congeniality
North and South
The Princess Bride
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

Cypress
1-26-11, 12:57pm
This is fun, my list includes:

Lord of the Rings Triology; Director's Verson
Wizard of Oz
All Jane Austen films, all versions of classics
Marx Brothers: Night at the Opera and Duck Soup
All Beatles films, especially Hard Days Night
Buster Keaton short films
Charlie Chaplin short films
Dish (Made in Australia,Story set in 1969, first moon landing)
All About Eve

frugal-one
1-26-11, 9:11pm
A few others...
Gran Torino
A Perfect World
Bicentennial man

Life_is_Simple
1-26-11, 9:22pm
These I the ones I've seen enough times to know the dialogue:

Psycho III - "Why can't you leave my son, my poor Norman, alone?"

Slingblade - "I could use 6-8 cans of that potted meat. If you got any extree."

The Full Monty - "Put down and piss off." (Dave in underwear, to the guys trying to repossess Gerald's TV)

Deuce Bigalow Male Gigalo - stuff the Tourette's woman shouts as he takes her to the baseball game

:0!

CatsNK
1-27-11, 9:11am
Bulworth
Bad Santa
Holiday Inn

CatsNK
1-27-11, 9:12am
A few others...
Gran Torino
A Perfect World
Bicentennial man

LOVE A Perfect World. Grab the hankies - it makes me cry buckets every time!

Bastelmutti
1-27-11, 9:13am
Elf!

Square Peg
1-27-11, 9:16pm
A lot of musicals:
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Producers (new version)
Chicago
Cabaret
Music Man
BirdCage
Priscilla: Queen of the Desert
Mama Mia!
Fiddler on the Roof
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Smoke Signals
Anything with Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Julie Andrews, Meryl Streep, or Renee Zellweger

AnneM
1-27-11, 10:55pm
No one has mentioned two of the best movies ever made and my favorites

Elf
The Three Amigos

Hattie
1-28-11, 1:28am
Here's one I'm sure NO ONE will be picking. :~) It's an oldie but a goodie and you can watch it online here: http://www.archive.org/details/TheGoldRush_910 for FREE!!! "The Gold Rush" starring Charlie Chaplin. A silent movie from 1924. It is REALLY, REALLY good!!!!!! Dare yah to put all the high tech, fancy schmancy stuff aside and watch it! :D

KayLR
1-28-11, 11:37am
Remembered another one I always watch if it's on: Office Space.

Gregg
1-31-11, 9:40am
Silverado - "you're wearing my hat"
True Grit - the original, haven't caught the new version yet
The African Queen - Bogey and Hepburn, come on!
The Postman - yes, I am probably the only person in America that liked that movie
What a Girl Wants - DD#2's favorite as a little girl, she will still stop to watch it with me!
All the Star Trek movies

Fawn
1-31-11, 9:43pm
The Milegro Beanfield War
Micheal w/ John Travolta
Billy Jack
The Little Mermaid (because it was the first Disney movie that was any good after Disney died and I loved the music and my infant children would boogie in their carseats when it came on.)

iris lily
1-31-11, 10:12pm
Fawn, seriously, BILLY JACK!???!!! That's the worst film ever made. Maybe you make fun of it? (hoping....)

iris lily
1-31-11, 10:12pm
I could probably watch OFfice SPace often. Also Clockwatchers is pretty funny.

gimmethesimplelife
2-1-11, 1:00am
For me it is anything by Pedro Almodovar, especially his early works before he became known internationally. My favorite all time movie is one of his called What Have I Done to Deserve This, which completely blew me out of the water the first time I saw it. Really, I was mesmerized! The whole movie was basically how I viewed life in general at the time, and how I grew up in some ways. It was like, wow, someone REALLY understands my life experience. I have introduced this movie to other people before and other than my best friend, no one else really liked it. Perhaps Almodovar is an acquired taste.

And then Gone with the Wind, too, amazing special effects for 1939 - truly nothing like that had ever been done before. And the First Star Wars for the same reason. Rob

ljevtich
2-1-11, 3:43am
It is amazing how many people put down Sound of Music! Me too, big fan!
Grease - although I have a horrible voice I sing all the songs of that one too.
True Lies got to see it at least once or twice a year
Legally Blonde movies
Babe movies- there are some lines that I never forget...

And then I could watch M*A*S*H and Seinfeld over and over. I think my DH could pretty much repeat every line for Seinfeld!

Fawn
2-1-11, 8:50am
Fawn, seriously, BILLY JACK!???!!! That's the worst film ever made. Maybe you make fun of it? (hoping....)

OP didn't say the movies had to be good. Just that you want to watch them over and over.

Worst film is a different thread and I would nominate Elf.:~)

rvk62
2-1-11, 10:55am
Fargo, Rebecca (Alfred Hitch****), the Birds, Godfather II, Age of Innocence, House of Mirth ( I adore Edith Wharton), all Thin Man movies, anything with Myrna Loy or Norma Shearer and my all time favorite, The Women ( original only...not the hideous remake with Meg Ryan, et al).

Zoe Girl
2-1-11, 11:12am
I didn't read the whole thread but here are mine,

Fight Club!!
Stigmata
Babettes Feast

How is that for unusual

Zoe Girl
2-1-11, 11:15am
Remembered another one I always watch if it's on: Office Space.

Add that one to my list!

lucy
2-2-11, 2:46pm
I'm a fan of "It's a Wonderful Life", "Princess Bride", "Life is Beautiful", "Fiddler on the Roof", "Pride and Prejudice" (with Colin Firth), and "While You were Sleeping".

JaneV2.0
2-2-11, 6:13pm
I don't watch many movies; mostly, I'm a non-fiction kind of viewer. But I've watched Gone With the Wind, Rosemary's Baby, and Men in Black more than once. I'm a sucker for good special effects. Office Space made me laugh--loved the "flair!" I agree that M*A*S*H* is worth watching repeatedly, and so are many episodes of Frasier.

iris lily
2-2-11, 6:53pm
peggy, I love House of Mirth 'though I wouldn't say that' I'd watch it over and over. But it is strangely sad and moving. I love Gillian what's her name. Did you see her in Bleak HOuse? She does downer so well.

Gregg
2-3-11, 8:35am
I'm a fan of "It's a Wonderful Life"...

{Smacking myself on the forehead for forgetting that one!} YES! And "Miracle on 34th Street" (with Natalie Wood), too. Family tradition dictates we play both as the Christmas tree goes up every year.

Sign me up for the M*A*S*H and Frasier fan clubs. Although getting a little burned out on Frasier now, need M*A*S*H to come back on after the news. Anyone at TimeWarner listening?

Spartana
2-3-11, 4:20pm
The only movies I would watch repeatedly (and usually the only types of movies I watch) are things with special effects. Seems like each time I watch them I see new and interesting things. This includes most Sc-Fi (all the Matrix's, Aliens', Predator's, AVP's, ...pretty much all sci-fi - lthe weirder and more technical the better - I love it all!), horror (but not chop 'em ups with Jason and Micheal -more Freddy and anything bizzare and fantastic), and some adventure-type fantasy (no Princess Bride for me - UGH!) like the LOTR trilogy, anything by Tim Burton (which also includes most anything with Johnny Depp in it like Edward Scissorhands), Beetlejuice, Narnia, etc...

There are alot of movies I like (like Fight Club and Office Space - my two favorite "simple living" movies) but wouldn't watch most movies repeatedly. Same with books - I like to read but rarely read a book more than once. The exception to that is "The Hictchhikers Guide to the Universe" series. I re-read hose whenever I am feeling blue - cheers me right up and makes me want to go out on an adventure asap. Also reminds me the importance of always carrying your towel with you :-)!

Thought I'd add one more - a sweeping romance - that I watched several times as young girl - "The Man From Snowy River". It was set in Australia and had great horsey scenes which I loved. Maybe I'll rent it again and see if it's as good as I remember. But then, I also use to love "Billy Jack" and when I saw it as an adult I was "what the heck was I thinking, this is soooooooo bad"!

Spartana
2-3-11, 4:30pm
I love Gillian what's her name. Did you see her in Bleak HOuse? She does downer so well.

I loved her in Bleak House! Who woulda thunk that Mulder's light hearted partner could have such a dark and brooding side to her :-)!

Spartana
2-3-11, 4:38pm
hmmm... nobody mentioned "Avatar". Or any of the "Starwars". Maybe it's just us sci-fi and fantasy buffs who like those and would watch them more than once.

SoSimple
2-3-11, 8:37pm
Well, I was too embarrassed to post, but I love all the even-numbered original Star Trek movies and two of the ST: TNG movies - the one with the Borg and the last one (Nemesis), plus the newest one with the young Spock and Kirk; and my constant DVD companion while traveling has been Avatar. I bought the three DVD set with the three versions of the movie on it, have watched all three at least twice and am about to settle down in my hotel room to the second half of the extended collector's edition.

(I like other movies too).

Midwife
2-3-11, 8:58pm
Boiling Springs? The tavern is my folks favorite place for dinner. They live at Greenridge Village over in Newville. Small world!

Wait, I just saw this... When I was working as a home health RN, I was at Green Ridge Village a lot taking care of residents there. Funny story, that when we lived in West Virgina 21 years ago, we had great neighbours who lived down the hill from us, and I discovered last year that they lived at GreenRidge village! It is a beautiful community, quiet private and in a very rural setting. Geoff and I go to the Tavern whenever we eat out, since that is rare!!! The Chef there is very good at being sure that my food is gluten free... Worth every penny, cuz the Tavern is a few pennies :D

CathyA
2-3-11, 9:51pm
Zoe Girl.......I LOVE Babette's Feast! I have my own copy of it. Its just great.......especially that ending!

heydude
2-4-11, 12:31am
Overboard IS awesome.
Scream.
My Bloody Valentine 3D (the best 3D ever, even better than Avatar, things actually come out at you! being in a cave (walled in on all 4 sides including above your head with a pick axe coming at you, NOW that is 3D!).

Beetlejuice.
Milk.
Drag Me To Hell.
Friday the 13th Part 2 "There is someone else in this room!"
Halloween H20

HappyHiker
2-4-11, 3:00pm
Great films, I'm making notes to add to my Neflix list...here are some of mine:

Fargo
Tin Men
O Brother Where Art Thou
Mickey Blue Eyes
Casablanca
African Queen
Key Largo
Sound of Music
The King & I
South Pacific

pony mom
2-4-11, 11:04pm
Sometimes just talking about my favorite movies makes me want to watch them again:

About a Boy
Snatch
Mary Poppins
The Music Man
Chicago
Some Like it Hot
Wallace & Gromit
Genevieve
I Know Where I'm Going (I adore this one)
The Lion in Winter
The Commitments
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Enchanted April

It's amazing how you can watch a movie several times and find something new you haven't noticed before.

happystuff
2-5-11, 6:31pm
Oh, my list could go on and on and on and on... you get the idea! Really quick off the top of my head:

Magnificent Seven
Silverado
Brian's Song
Princess Bride
THEM
Godzilla (definitely the original and you can toss the remake in there too - lol)
The Cup
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
High Society and The Philadelphia Story
The Replacements
Mama Mia!
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Twister (or just about any other natural disaster movie - lol)
Michael
The Hellfighters
The Cowboys
The Gods Must Be Crazy ( I and II)
Second-hand Lions

I'll stop for now - lol.

puglogic
2-6-11, 1:10pm
Men in Black. Only I, never II. I think I have it memorized....the comic timing and the subtle humor is fantastic, especially Tommy Lee Jones, but Will Smith is hilarious too. Multiple viewings catch a hundred subtle little jokes that I didn't see the first time around. Instant mood-elevator.

Mrs.B
2-6-11, 4:58pm
The American President, Little Women (new one) Pride & prejudice, (yes all the Jane Austins) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (holiday favorite)

ginastarke
2-8-11, 12:19am
Another vote for Amadeus I think hub and I know every line by now, but still love it.
My whole "girl movie" section : Elizabeth, Working Girl, Legally Blonde , Vanity Fair. They cheer me up on a bad day.
Musicals: From My Fair Lady to Sweeney Todd, I love popping in a musical and doing housework -even if I always get sucked in to Moulin Rouge
A Fish Called Wanda : probably the funniest movie ever made
Guilty pleasures: mtv's Daria and Beavis and Butt-head. those two crack me up!

Zigzagman
2-8-11, 10:14am
Big Lebowski
A Good Year
My House in Umbria
Cold Mountain

Peace

Tenngal
2-8-11, 1:15pm
I also love "Anne of Green Gables". Husband moans and groans when it comes on PBS...............

Zzz
2-9-11, 10:00am
Add me to the Billy Jack club. Who cares if it's terrible. It has a spot on my favorite movies shelf.

Others on my favorite shelf (some were mentioned above)
Smoke Signals
Dirty Dancing Havana Nights
Dirty Dancing original (Though I actually like Havana nights more...)
Cry Baby (The only Johnny Depp movie I like...)
Bourne Identity
Day after Tomorrow
Seven Years in Tibet
Dreamkeeper
Rabbit Proof Fence

As for non-movies:
Into the West (TNT mini series)
and the entire Northern Exposure series...

debi
2-9-11, 1:05pm
My favorite is quite old -- Brian's Song. It is about Brian Piccolo - football player who has cancer. It is a tear-jerker, but yet funny as he jokes around a lot.

larknm
2-10-11, 2:08pm
A Foreign Field
4 Little Girls
Secrets and Lies
Wild Birds of Telegraph Hill
Analyze This
and already The King's Speech (I've seen it four times since it came out--we have a free theater here)

The Storyteller
2-12-11, 12:31am
Big Lebowski

Well there's a shocker.

The Storyteller
2-12-11, 12:34am
Fargo, Rebecca (Alfred Hitch****)

I love this forum's software.

MagicRat
2-13-11, 6:50pm
Great choices mentioned by all.

There are very few choices I really enjoy seeing repeatedly, but the one that I really like is :

Hunt for Red October.

The Storyteller
2-14-11, 5:35am
These aren't necessarily my favorite films, or the best. They just seem to be those I like to watch repeatedly. There is often a big difference. They seem to tend to be those where the lead character overcomes something within themselves more than outside adversity (although it includes those, as well). That probably says something about my head. But then, a lot are just fluff entertainment and easy to watch.

The Shawshank Redemption
Groundhog Day
It's a Wonderful Life
A Beautiful Mind
Good Will Hunting
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Shakespeare in Love
Baby Boom
A Christmas Story
Funny Farm (terrible movie but one of my guilty pleasures)
Unforgiven (the Clint Eastwood film, not Burt Lancaster)
Tombstone
Fistfull of Dollars
Big
Spider Man
Young Frankenstein

There are many films I like, but just can't bring myself to watch more than once or twice.

gail_d
2-17-11, 12:19am
Great lists. Off the top of my head:

It's a Wonderful Life
Places in the Heart
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkeban (I like them all, but I especially like this one)
Yentl
Jesus of Montreal
It Happened One Night
*anything* with Alan Rickman (such as: Galaxy Quest, Sense and Sensibility, Truly Madly Deeply, Harry Potter)

Selah
2-23-11, 10:19pm
The Jerk.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
La Femme Nikita (original French version with Anne Parillaud and Tcheky Karyo).
Night of the Living Dead (eek!).
Eraserhead (yow!).