PDA

View Full Version : Road Trips

catherine
3-30-12, 8:01pm
This doesn't really fit in Transportation, although in a way it does, so anyway.

I just want to express how much I like road trips. I haven't been on a ton of them, but those that I have were so much fun. One time my daughter needed to get back to the NE from Houston and I happened to have a business trip in Houston, so we meandered through the Southern states visiting Hope, AK, Memphis, Knoxville, Tazwell, VA, West Virginia, Washington DC, and finally, home. We had a great time.

Today, I finished up a week of travel, and felt that great rush of relief at being done for the week, and I got in my car to get home (about 20 minutes away) and when I got on the highway I had this urge to just keep driving! Just drive anywhere! Connecticut, Vermont, Pennsylvania, who cares? I just felt like ramblin' on.

Anyone have any good memorable road trips to share? I can think of a few of you who probably have some great ones.

Please, give me a few ideas and let me travel vicariously!

sweetana3
3-30-12, 8:23pm
A very long time ago we drove from upstate NY back to Indiana and every night we stayed at a different historic inn. One was an old family camp, one was a lovingly restored historic house in Lancaster and the best was the oldest tavern on US 40. I still remember each place and how much fun we had.

On another trip we got sidetracked trying to find somewhere to eat that was not fast food and got lost off the interstate in PA. Found the most amazing little town that tooked like time passed it by. Ate at a local place and was served by the kids they hired to be the wait staff. Food was great. Best part of the whole trip.

I want to take a road trip to Texas and visit every (40) Half Price bookstore in the state.

On one road trip to the JC Campbell Folk School in NC, we were led to a long and windy two lane road that never ever had a straight or level part. Found out we had driven the Dragon's Trail, a popular motorcycle route. Never again. Sometimes the Garmon is crazy.

Zoebird
3-30-12, 8:43pm
Yes. Several.

My husband, his best friend, and I drove from PA to eastern canada (cape breton island) and enjoyed wandering about and seeing some sites. Later, we did the blue ridge parkway and had a great time with that one.

as a kid, we did the southwest, and I went with another family to yellowstone and around. I really like utah, too.

I'd like to do several great road trips. I'd love to do the midwest, for example, and the northeast -- I'd like to basically go from the great lakes to the pacific ocean. I'd also like to go across southern canada.

we road trip here in NZ. it's wonderful. You can go through a lot in a short amount of time. :)

Florence
3-30-12, 9:23pm
We are going on one of our favorite road trips next week. We are going to drive through the Texas hill country while the bluebonnets, Indian paint brushes, primroses, and many, many others are in full riotous color.

Float On
3-30-12, 9:52pm
We love driving. The 330,000 miles on our truck tell the tale. Most all trips were business related but I love the journey.
And we stop and look at all those roadside markers - have learned a lot.

Stella
3-30-12, 9:58pm
I am a fan of roadtrips too. My favourite as a kid was from MN to Alaska in my grandparents RV. That was amazing. Absolutely amazing. We also took a very cool trip with my dad to Canada, just Dad, my sister and me when my mom was on a trip to see her sister.

This past November and December we road tripped quite a bit. We went from Minneapolis to Indianapolis for Thanksgiving and then took all of December traveling through Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. We were planning to make a roadtrip to Arkansas and Louisiana to see Zach's dad for Spring Break, but he ended up coming up here. We've done that roadtrip before, though, and we will probably do it again soon.

I was pleased at how well our month long roadtrip went. I wasn't entirely sure how it would go with a seven-year-old, six-year-old, two-year-old and baby, but they were all remarkably well behaved. The girls have been talking about it ever since. They soaked up soooo much information on that trip. We have a U.S. map in our dining room and they are always pointing to spots they've been to on the map and talking about them and then pointing to places they'd like to visit.

I think we'll have to find excuses to travel to the East Coast, Pacific Northwest and Canada soon. We also need to get back to St Louis to see my cousins there. It's been a few years. When all 5 kids are a bit older I'd like to take them to Alaska too. I have family there also.

Isabella was looking at a Minnesota map a couple of weeks ago and has it in her head that we should take a trip this summer up north to Grand Marais, MN, on the North Shore of Lake Superior, and then take a ferry across to Isle Royal, MI. I think that sounds lovely, but it might have to wait another year or two. Northern MN is beautiful and makes a nice mini-roadtrip.

The most we may manage this year, with another new baby, is a quick weekend to WI to see my aunt and/or Diana in Wisconsin. Next year we are hoping to make it to South Dakota to see Travis' Godfather, who is a Jesuit priest working at a reservation there. We'd make the obligatory Mount Rushmore visit while we were out there too.

Rosemary
3-31-12, 7:42am
As someone who does not enjoy being in the car for hours, I'd really like to know what makes it possible for all of you to truly enjoy roadtrips, because there are many places that I'd like to take my daughter that are best approached as a roadtrip, such as the national parks between MN and WY. After 8 hours of driving, even with a stop or two, I feel like a caged animal and have to pace or walk for a long time before my body feels comfortable again. And I know that many people do more hours than that in a day.

The only roadtrip I've ever enjoyed was when I moved cross-country and limited the number of hours/day driving because I had a toddler who needed to run also. But that made the trip costly, in addition to taking extra days that my DH usually doesn't have in his vacation time. So we usually fly, and rent a car when we need one, which makes travel even more expensive...

I suppose I am predisposed to dislike sitting in the car because as a kid my younger brother bothered me relentlessly. I have memories of him annoying me from VA to PA and all across Texas... that's what I remember about roadtrips of my youth (besides the miserable humidity of VA with no A/C and the glaring sun and intense heat of TX in summer). So please, feel free to put a positive spin on all of that!

ctg492
3-31-12, 8:40am
I too have a hard time sitting in the car. Back in the day young a foolish, we drove back and forth from MI to TX a few times, FL to MI a few times. I remember it being all new and exciting and full of life. Oh wait maybe that was me and boyfriend at 19 ;) Now there are places I want to see, but the travel out weights the thrill. I guess I have to recapture the feeling of youth and freedom, I will work on that and need to on all aspects of life.

catherine
3-31-12, 8:55am
Well, regarding the sitting in the car factor, the way I see it is, I do look at the journey as being the joy of the trip. If you're traveling with people whose company you enjoy, you get to talk to them for a long time. You get to spend hours listening to your favorite songs. You get to look ahead at a great expanse of road and really look at the sky and absorb yourself in the scenery (my uncle used to spring out of the car on a road trip to exclaim, "THAT'S a nice vista!" It got to be a road trip mantra). You get to just pass through places you've never seen before and just stop off on a whim and experience something that's not in the guide books. You get to talk to locals. NONE of those things can you do if you are simply getting from point A to point B. So, if you're feeling uncomfortable, just slow it down a little. You don't have to drive 8 hours a day. And if you have to spend a little extra on another night in a hotel, so what? How much is plane fare?

SiouzQ.
3-31-12, 9:05am
I have a LOT to say about road trips, but it'll have to wait until later 'cuz I got to get to work. I look forward to reading about this!

HumboldtGurl
3-31-12, 2:53pm
Well, DH and I love road tripping so much that in 2007, we went on a long one in a new RV with our dog Jerry, after doctors told us he had just a few months to live. When Jerry continued to thrive after a year, we decided to keep moving and today, five years later, we're still on the road! We've put over 70,000 miles on our rig traveling to all parts of North America.

In fact, I'm writing this from our solar-powered RV while camped along the most remote stretch of the Rio Grande, near Terlingua, Texas (we have satellite Internet which keeps us online even when there's no cell service). The scenery is breathtaking and once again we are stunned at the beauty on this continent. We are constantly surprised at new finds like this.

I say: why not keep driving? The full-timing lifestyle isn't for everyone but if you have the traveling bug, why not find a way to take a year off and see if it suits you?

Zoebird
3-31-12, 4:35pm
As someone who does not enjoy being in the car for hours, I'd really like to know what makes it possible for all of you to truly enjoy roadtrips, because there are many places that I'd like to take my daughter that are best approached as a roadtrip, such as the national parks between MN and WY. After 8 hours of driving, even with a stop or two, I feel like a caged animal and have to pace or walk for a long time before my body feels comfortable again. And I know that many people do more hours than that in a day.

The only roadtrip I've ever enjoyed was when I moved cross-country and limited the number of hours/day driving because I had a toddler who needed to run also. But that made the trip costly, in addition to taking extra days that my DH usually doesn't have in his vacation time. So we usually fly, and rent a car when we need one, which makes travel even more expensive...!

You have your own answer. Stop more -- drive less.

Here in NZ -- because most things are close, we don't drive more than 2-3 hrs at a time right now. DS needs to get out, and honestly, so do we.

And on our next trip, we'll be going to Picton, and spending three nights there and driving out to hikes (less than an hour or two away), and then drive to Nelson and spend 2 nights there, and then onto Takaka, and driving outwards from there for several days, before heading back to picton (all in one day, which should be 4-5 hours), and then taking the ferry back.

The last trip, we did 2 hrs to a given town, then two nights there to explore the area, then onto the next place. it worked nicely.

dado potato
3-31-12, 6:36pm
Lincoln Highway appeals to me. At some time I hope to make a circuit from E Rochelle, IL, westbound with side trips to Grinnell, Montour, Marshalltown, Spirit Lake, and Huron... maybe in November when the snow geese are thick. Then home via St Paul.

SiouzQ.
3-31-12, 7:39pm
Hi ya'll! Sprung from work finally. Here is a piece of writing I did awhile back about the magic of road trips. I was in the process of writing a song and I wrote this as a way to get into the mood of the piece. Enjoy!

Vanishing Points

We used to sit in the "way-back " red vinyl seat of my dad's white Ford Falcon station wagon on those endless road trips out west before the interstate went all the way through coast-to-coast. We could have been traveling through any number of states watching the redundant cornfields of the mid-west give way to the hard scrabble sand and dust of the Eastern Rockies. Heatwaves hovered over the steaming blacktop and appeared to melt the pavement behind us as if the friction of the tires set the asphalt on fire. Inevitably, an argument would be brewing between my older brother and sister about whose leg was straying over the territorial boundary line formed by the seat seam in the sweaty vinyl. Imprisoning your children in seat belts on those long rides was mostly unheeded back in those days; we were free to roam around and tumble over the seat back and into the "way-back", thwok each other on the head, and poke each other in the ribs until the cry of "Stop it! I gotta pee!" was piercingly screeched out. My brother always got into trouble for bothering us girls in some obnoxious little boy-way, and I, being the youngest, would pull on my pout like a sweater and set my bottom lip quivering ever so slightly, with tears threatening to slide down my freckled cheeks until I got my way.

This life on the road (albeit a three week vacation from my dad's engineering job) was grand in all respects. Watching out the car window as the landscape streamed by endlessly was like watching a never-ending, fast-forwarded television show. I remember thinking as I stared off into the distance out my passenger side window, I wonder if any human being has ever touched that tree, or that funny-looking rock over there, or has anyone in the history of the world since the beginning ever climbed up that hill over there and looked around? Who lived in that abandoned farmhouse? Why did they leave? What secrets did they leave behind? Questions like that would keep me mutely preoccupied during the interminably hot drowsy hours.

I remember one trip in which I must have been only three or four years old because I got to sit up front between my parents in my little hook-on baby seat with the white plastic steering wheel and little red rubber horn and "drive" with my dad. I watched the road carefully through the windshield and made sure that I was keeping my car between the white lines, just like dad did and checked the rear-view mirror at regular intervals, just like dad did. I drove off into the sunset straight toward the purple mountains that loomed ahead on the horizon.

At some point late in the day, we would stop in some dusty ranching town to get gasoline from a Sinclair station with its green dinosaur on the sign, or at the MobilGas station with Pegasas leaping gracefully into the air above us. Gas was about 25 cents per gallon and the service station had actual attendants who would fill up your tank and wash all the windows for you. After everyone stretched and got their treat of an ice-cold Coke in a worn glass bottle with the condensation forming rivulets that dripped onto our dusty feet, my parents would make a stop at the local feed and supply store and outfit us kids in our little cowboy hats and boots.

I was right proud of my little brown boots and strutted around importantly as only a small child can do without looking foolish. We went to real rodeos, not the gussied up tourist shows that came around later. I was fascinated by it all, the dust, the animals, the stink of manure, the sweat and often the blood of the cowboys who rode. Without knowing it then, the imprint of the male archetype in my mind was born...

And here is the song "Vanishing Points" - a darkish, bluesy tune

When you're riding backwards
In the rumble seat
You're always watchin'
The faded lines of history recede
Looking ahead, the windshield's cracked like a cataract
But you keep on lookin' forward
To quit that lookin' back

Up 'round the bend
In a dark valley it leads
You follow it up
To distant high lonesome peaks
The road is uncharted, your directions lost
At the end of the day
The payoff's greater than the price of loss

Chorus:
But you'll never catch up
Oh that vanishing point...it's just too far
No fast-moving train, no speeding car
No high-flying plane or a shooting star
Will ever catch you up
To that vanishing point...oh it's just too far

Way up in the distance
A sign says Danger, Fall Out zone
You take one glance
Quickly decide to follow that road
Thrill of the unknown
It keeps you feeling alive
No more sleepwalkin' through your days
It's high time you get in for a ride

(chorus)

When am I going to get there?
A little voice whispers in your head
You'll get there when you get there
The other voice in there said
But how will I know when I've arrived?
Oh you know you've arrived
When you feel so completely and utterly alive

(chorus)

We've been performing this song for about a year and people really seem to like it!

catherine
3-31-12, 9:36pm
SiouzQ, that's a great story! And a great song! I really like the concept about the vanishing point. Your description of your trip pretty much encapsulates what I like about road trips, too!

jp1
4-1-12, 3:05pm
In fact, I'm writing this from our solar-powered RV while camped along the most remote stretch of the Rio Grande, near Terlingua, Texas

Terlingua Texas! That's where this guy lives! http://thefieldlab.blogspot.com/ I think I read about him on this board somewhere. He's a transplanted NY'er who decided he needed to make some changes in his life.

SiouzQ.
4-1-12, 7:22pm
Thanks Catherine! Now this has got me all preoccupied with the idea of another road trip somehow this summer, but with gas $4.00/gallon....well, a girl can still dream :)

Float On
4-1-12, 8:58pm
SiouzQ, beautifully written!

HumboldtGurl
4-3-12, 11:10am
Terlingua Texas! That's where this guy lives! http://thefieldlab.blogspot.com/ I think I read about him on this board somewhere. He's a transplanted NY'er who decided he needed to make some changes in his life.

Dang! I wish I had seen this earlier. We just left after growing weary from three days of 100 plus temps.

This guy's nuts...I like that!

iforonwy
5-27-12, 10:21am
Over the years we have travelled a lot in the USA but not quite so much over the past 5-6years but we are about to travel to the Upper Penninsular in September. We are coming over from the UK. In the past we have used motels like Super 8 but we wonder if they are as good as they used to be? Any hints and tips for good, clean, comfortable motels/small hotels on our way?

catherine
5-27-12, 12:23pm
Some of the B-level hotels that are part of an A-level brand are my favorites: try Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites.. Marriott Courtyard is one of my favorites but I think it's evolved into more of a business hotel for the smaller businessperson so it might be a tad more expensive than it used to be--but I love them.

Or, try Hyatt Place or Hampton Inn, or Staybridge or Sheraton 4 points.

Some of these places are expensive in major cities, but of course the prices vary considerably depending upon how centrally located they are.

ETA: Also, Expedia is my favorite hotel bargain site--but I know Travelocity and TravelZoo are good too. If you don't mind being spontaneous sometimes you cash in on bigger bargains closer to your day of arrival.

pinkytoe
5-27-12, 12:44pm
My favorite road trips have always been those with my billy goat older brothers who like to traverse the mountains of the west where they live. Sitting in the back of an old Trooper as we climb the bumpy, hairpin mountain roads to get as high as we can is a favorite memory.

iforonwy
5-27-12, 3:22pm
Thank you Catherine. We are only staying 2 weeks this time and lots of the time will be visiting with friends but we will need a few nights along the way. We still have quite some time to before we travel but I do so like to be prepared.

Gregg
5-28-12, 8:03am
I love road trips. And detours! DW is an interstate highway, get there as fast as possible girl. Not me. I like the long, scenic routes, driving slower, less traffic, small town diners. The very best trips of all have been the ones with no particular destination. Walkabouts are good for the soul.

SteveinMN
5-28-12, 1:39pm
Any hints and tips for good, clean, comfortable motels/small hotels on our way?
iforonwy, I've had great success using the Web site tripadvisor.com to accurately screen lodging at all price levels wherever we've gone. The reviews are by all kinds of travelers and can be arranged by date.

We also hit up the Web site bedbugreport.com ; while absence from the list is no guarantor of a pest-free evening, presence on the list knocks it out of the running for us.

iris lily
5-28-12, 1:49pm
I love road trips. And detours! DW is an interstate highway, get there as fast as possible girl. Not me. I like the long, scenic routes, driving slower, less traffic, small town diners. The very best trips of all have been the ones with no particular destination. Walkabouts are good for the soul.

Yup, DH in his Germanic fashion wants to always take the interstates because they are efficient. They may be that, but they are all alike.

Bronxboy
5-28-12, 3:24pm
Some of the B-level hotels that are part of an A-level brand are my favorites: try Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites.. Marriott Courtyard is one of my favorites but I think it's evolved into more of a business hotel for the smaller businessperson so it might be a tad more expensive than it used to be--but I love them.

Or, try Hyatt Place or Hampton Inn, or Staybridge or Sheraton 4 points.
Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, or Fairfield are the standard hotels we stay in with our own money today. Will upgrade to a Courtyard if it's not too expensive.

Gave up cheap hotels for good after a creepy stay at a motel (room opening to parking lot) on the Eastern Shore of Maryland about five years ago.

Spartana
5-29-12, 4:10pm
Anyone have any good memorable road trips to share?

Oh my gosh, where do I start? I am the road trip queen!! Was suppose to leave yesterday for an approx. 4 - 5 month long road trip, but leaving next Sat instead. Anyways, I love road trips and have been on long trips in every state, from Calif to Maine, Florida to Alaska, and every place in between via car, truck, and motorcycle (there's a pic of me somewhere on the "open forum" loaded up for a 6 week motorcycle camping trip around the western states back when I first retired 12 years ago). I mainly tent camp if I'm staying somewhere for a week or longer (and I have THE MOST luxurious tent set up ever! Will post a pic next time I set it up) and stay in budget motel (i.e. Motel 6 usually because they allow pets and have no pet fee) while enroute to somewhere. As long as the motel is in a safe area and is clean and well maintained I'm good with that. I don't spend anytime in the room anyways, leave early in the morning and don't come back until late, so really just need a place to shower and sleep. Often times on longer trips I'll rent an off-season vacation rental house by the week (or month if I can as it's SOOOOO much cheaper by the month). One of my favorite road trips is down the coast 0n Hwy 1 and 101 of Oregon and Calif. It's probably one of the most spectacular drives on the planet. I've done it many manyt times and never get sick of it. I also like the drive in Calif along hwy 49 (with side trips to Sequoia and Yosemite Nat Parks) in spring.

Spartana
5-29-12, 4:23pm
As someone who does not enjoy being in the car for hours, I'd really like to know what makes it possible for all of you to truly enjoy roadtrips that!

As the road trip queen ;-)! I have to admit that I can't stand being in a car for hours on end. That's why I generally only take long road trips if I have a long time period to do them. I stop alot for long periods of time to hike or bike or whatever - something active (which is the reason I GO on road trips to begin with - to do active things in new and unique places). Otherwise, if I only have a short period of time I go somewhere closer to home. Or I'll fly somewahere further away and rent a car and do a road trip from there. I Just did that to Utah and, because of gas prices and me having a gas guzzling truck, it was actually about the same price to fly, rent a compact car and stay in budget motels, as it would have been to drive out and back from SoCal and campout. I did miss having me "stuff" (bike, etc..) but it was an easy and very fun road trip without the long drive to get to the place where i want to .... do a road trip :-)!

Also, now that I am down to just one small 20 lb dog, I am considering getting another motorcycle to do road trips on for fuel economy or maybe channeling my inner "Simply Gib" (our own Gary who doesn't post much) and doing bicycling road trips of several months at a time. He has done a bunch of those both in the states and overseas (last on e 2 or 3 month odessey thru out Central America). Not sure how that would work with a dog in tow (have a bike trailer to carry the dog and my stuff) but might be worth trying somewhere with little traffic (and no hills :-)!). Maybe a combo road trip in the truck and then doing a few days by bicycle on a cool little road in a cool area. Any ideas?

iforonwy
6-11-12, 1:54pm
Many thanks for all the suggestions. There are some hotel chains in there that I had not thought about and so will look them up. Again many thanks, Iforonwy