PDA

View Full Version : What can cats climb?

CathyA
3-31-12, 10:48am
We are getting ready to put up a new garden fence. The one we have now is a broken down/rusted 2-3' chicken wire fence. I have a big mouse problem in the garden, but the one thing nice about the low, broken down fence is that the stray cats can get into it and keep the mouse population down!

We were going to put up a 4' welded utility wire fence, and then I remembered the mouse population!
So........we're trying to decide how we can build a fence that will still allow the cats to get into it.
We were going to use light-duty steel posts, but I don't think cats can climb up those or the fencing. So now I'm thinking of at least putting in 4"x4" wooden posts in a couple of the corners. I'm sure a determined cat can crawl up those wooden posts. But if we don't put those in, do you think a cat could climb up the utility fencing?
I know this sounds anal........but I'm trying to keep our garden as pest-free as possible, and those mice eat alot of planted seed.

Thanks for your input!

sweetana3
3-31-12, 10:55am
The cats can climb the wire. I have seen them scale a 6+ foot privacy wood fence just like squirrels and the only way to keep them inside a straight up wire fence is to put an angled section facing in at the top.

early morning
3-31-12, 11:40am
What are you trying to keep OUT of the garden with a 4' fence? Do you need to put in a fence? Cats can climb pretty much anything if they are motivated enough, and they can just crawl through most standard wire fence or graduated hog-panels.

RosieTR
3-31-12, 11:39pm
The wood posts would probably help increase cat access because cats prefer to climb wood than wire fencing. They will do the latter if motivated, though. Setting up some sort of cat perch above the garden will also encourage cat predation of the mouse issue...our cat would sit for hours at the top of the compost bin, trying to see a mouse. This was some 2 x 4s and chicken wire, about 4', that he was easily able to get on top of. Many cats could jump the entire height of 4' if there is a solid place for them to get to once they ran up it. Anything at least as wide as 2" and stable will work. You may as well add some catnip (if you don't already have some) growing there though in some cases it can be invasive as it's part of the mint family so a sunken or raised container of it would be in order, or grow some inside and scatter the leaves out once in awhile.

Tiam
3-31-12, 11:53pm
Make 'em a cat door!

CathyA
4-1-12, 9:13am
Thanks everyone. Someone on a garden forum also suggested a cat door. Um......I wouldn't need the fence if it had a door! lolol. (unless of course we had a security device that would only let cats in, based on their paw prints). :)
We're mostly trying to keep out the bunnies. And also hoping its a tiny obstacle for the deer.........who usually have lots to eat elsewhere.
Also to keep out marauding stray dogs. I've seen bunnies easily jump over 2' fences.

jania
4-1-12, 9:44am
This is so interesting and amusing to me, wanting to create fencing so cats can come into the garden. Any and all boundaries I want to put around my garden beds are to keep cats out! In the middle of the city in the desert any expanse of loose, cool dirt is a kitty cat paradise, nothing better to roll around in (just for fun) or to use as a litter box.

Cathy, cats will jump or climb just about anything as long as there is something enticing on the other side.